Adam Ruzicka

conundrumed

Rosey seems to be permeating some threads, maybe we should talk about him in one place.

He bet on himself with the 2yr deal, this is his year to make hay or be a league minimum guy.   

I hope that he can push the LW group for minutes. 4C is more likely.

Where do we see Ruzicka this year? Is he going to be an important player?

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Rosey seems to be permeating some threads, maybe we should talk about him in one place.

He bet on himself with the 2yr deal, this is his year to make hay or be a league minimum guy.   

I think if he can get up to 15 goals it would help. It baffles me that we critique guys for inconsistency, but every player is. 20 goal players only score in at the most, 20 games in a year. If they have a multi goal game they score in less, making them even more inconsistent. 

I get it's the things you do away from scoring. Hopefully Huska can coach that part of his game like he would a defensemen. 

Don't think he has peaked.  Last year the yoyo  of top line success then benching must have been very difficult.  How about some consistency from the team, and see how consistent he can become.  He has a lot of talent, it would be great to be seeing that and benefiting from that...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't know about important player part yet, because he is yet to claim a spot in the top 9 and stick.

I think his shot is underrated but he just doesn't get them off much.

He wasn't that bad on the dot, but he has to improve.

As a winger, I felt he could only play with offensively minded players.

If we were building a line of talented kids, it might be the right thing for him.

Play him 10 minutes and it's a waste.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka can be a one dimensional, no defense, cherry picking, 30-goal guy.  If we want that, then he's already arrived.  Sutter didn't want that.  Maybe Huska does.

I think he's a waste as a 4C.  He has finish and scoring.  

I can agree. I think a good coach can make up plays that allow him to do what you're saying. Maybe not fully Cherry-picking, but ya, he has some skill that can be tapped.

Ruzicka has great mitts for his size and a really good shot. The brain going into auto-pilot is the problem. When the Sting looked like a huge threat with him, Kyrou, Chychrun and all they got upset by Kitchener in the 2nd round. All of us, and I mean all, were so pissed with Ruzicka. He was completely disengaged the whole series. Just bad everywhere. Like not even breaking a sweat.

@JTech780 addressed this a lot with Rosey and I always defended him. But I can't pretend to be angry at Sutter for benching him. I know what that funk looks like. I assumed it would fade but he got longterm benched so it likely hasn't.

I really want him to work for us, but it is really on him. He isn't making excuses, so that's a good thing. His inconsistency is a reflection of his lack of engagement. It can be mind-numbing. He needs to lose that and he'll be a good player. He's 13F if he doesn't.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Ruzicka has great mitts for his size and a really good shot. The brain going into auto-pilot is the problem. When the Sting looked like a huge threat with him, Kyrou, Chychrun and all they got upset by Kitchener in the 2nd round. All of us, and I mean all, were so pissed with Ruzicka. He was completely disengaged the whole series. Just bad everywhere. Like not even breaking a sweat.

@JTech780 addressed this a lot with Rosey and I always defended him. But I can't pretend to be angry at Sutter for benching him. I know what that funk looks like. I assumed it would fade but he got longterm benched so it likely hasn't.

I really want him to work for us, but it is really on him. He isn't making excuses, so that's a good thing. His inconsistency is a reflection of his lack of engagement. It can be mind-numbing. He needs to lose that and he'll be a good player. He's 13F if he doesn't.

SO, did you follow him when he went to Sudbury?  I'm asking because his stats that last year went from okay to 24g in 30 games after the trade.  His playoffs had 10 points in 8 games.  So, I wonder if the coaching may have been both a bot of the cause and the result of his poor play.  

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Ya it's his body language that's a big problem.  He plays like he doesn't care and doesn't have a second gear.  Then you check his stats for the week and it's like 3-points in 3-games.  Yet, he needs to be benched for a lack of passion while in the game.  

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

SO, did you follow him when he went to Sudbury?  I'm asking because his stats that last year went from okay to 24g in 30 games after the trade.  His playoffs had 10 points in 8 games.  So, I wonder if the coaching may have been both a bot of the cause and the result of his poor play.  

I didn't follow him but knew that he was lighting it up. I would put it more to being motivated after being traded. Hatcher wasn't a great coach, but he wasn't awful either. The motivation thing is still an issue imo opinion after last year. Sutter's a lot of things but he isn't scratching a player that can score without reason. Hopefully Huska knows the buttons to keep him engaged. Maybe Savard?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I didn't follow him but knew that he was lighting it up. I would put it more to being motivated after being traded. Hatcher wasn't a great coach, but he wasn't awful either. The motivation thing is still an issue imo opinion after last year. Sutter's a lot of things but he isn't scratching a player that can score without reason. Hopefully Huska knows the buttons to keep him engaged. Maybe Savard?

I will admit that I wasn't watching super closely to what his attitude was after he got dropped to the 4th line.  But, I will say that I would see a perhaps lazy shift where he gave up on a play and skated to the bench.  Those stood out because it started a cycle of getting less minutes and sitting for longer periods between shifts.  I get the shoe dropping when you take a shift off, but this went on for games afterwards without any change in the minutes.  In most cases he got dropped to the popcorn bench.  What I am getting at is that a bad game is that.  You should be able to start with a clean slate for the next practice.  I saw the player being sent to the blackboard.  "I must play the way the coach wants me to play, whatever it is that he wants because he won't say."  I say this because what I saw from him playing with Lucic was not a confident player and when he didn't hit everyone on the ice, he sat.  

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I will admit that I wasn't watching super closely to what his attitude was after he got dropped to the 4th line.  But, I will say that I would see a perhaps lazy shift where he gave up on a play and skated to the bench.  Those stood out because it started a cycle of getting less minutes and sitting for longer periods between shifts.  I get the shoe dropping when you take a shift off, but this went on for games afterwards without any change in the minutes.  In most cases he got dropped to the popcorn bench.  What I am getting at is that a bad game is that.  You should be able to start with a clean slate for the next practice.  I saw the player being sent to the blackboard.  "I must play the way the coach wants me to play, whatever it is that he wants because he won't say."  I say this because what I saw from him playing with Lucic was not a confident player and when he didn't hit everyone on the ice, he sat.  

As I said prior, it's on Ruzicka. I was excited that Sutter would get through to him, but alas. Can also look at Pelletier though, wonder why Sutter wouldn't put him back on the 4th line rather than scratch him. 4th line looked great with his tiny stint there.

I expect a big year from Pelletier. His history dictates that he loves to jump levels quickly. With Rosie, I remain hopeful but I am over-extended on confidence at this time. Just once I'd like to be right rather than blind faith.lol Is that asking too much?

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

As I said prior, it's on Ruzicka. I was excited that Sutter would get through to him, but alas. Can also look at Pelletier though, wonder why Sutter wouldn't put him back on the 4th line rather than scratch him. 4th line looked great with his tiny stint there.

I expect a big year from Pelletier. His history dictates that he loves to jump levels quickly. With Rosie, I remain hopeful but I am over-extended on confidence at this time. Just once I'd like to be right rather than blind faith.lol Is that asking too much?

No doubt that Ruzicka needs to show that he is a NHL player and do it every day.  As with Pelletier, coaching needs to do a better job of handling the players when they have an off game.  Every player goes through it.  Deal with it.  Don't just screatch them for a bunch of games and think that somehow not playing will correct the problems.  Slacking off is a problem, but mistakes are not fixed by getting benched for 2 weeks or more.

Anyway, I am hopeful that he gets serious about the game and sees it as his chance to be a top prospect/player.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

From what I heard about Sutter is, he didn't communicate much. It was either you did what he asked or sat. So if he's not communicating with the player, the player doesn't know exactly what is going on. Maybe he skated the routes Sutter laid out or not, but to the player's knowledge he did?  I dunno. Not trying to give Ruzicka a full pass, just hoping that the benefit of the doubt works here. 

my bet is he gets waived and succeeds with Arizona, or any other teams that claims him. 

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

From what I heard about Sutter is, he didn't communicate much. It was either you did what he asked or sat. So if he's not communicating with the player, the player doesn't know exactly what is going on. Maybe he skated the routes Sutter laid out or not, but to the player's knowledge he did?  I dunno. Not trying to give Ruzicka a full pass, just hoping that the benefit of the doubt works here. 

my bet is he gets waived and succeeds with Arizona, or any other teams that claims him. 

That would likely be the last possible thing to happen with a young player that hasn't hit his stride.

Or he is a cancer on the team, in which case he would be gonzo.

So, here's an interesting thing.

There was some suggestion that there are 5 players from TC 2018 that will be named in relation to the events that went down.

There are very few players from that team that haven't signed new deals.

I can think of 2 players that are in limbo with their drafting team.

I won't say their names because it's not fair to say they are the ones.

But, there is a decent chance that a number of players end up being released.

Maybe more players for Carolina to sign?

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Can't keep blaming coaching though. Sutter wasn't his only coach, just another one that he frustrates. He's got great puck skills but if it evaporates in the play, there just isn't a lot else that he offers. He isn't physical, he's not aggressive, he isn't pushing play, his D play can be conservative to a big fault.

I'd like him to take 4C. Own his own line. We don't need LWers or him riding coattails to be one.We need C's and he is one. He needs to round that game out. He's a dime a dozen at LW. He's not ahead of Huberdeau, Pelletier, Mangiapane, even Dube at LW for that matter. He needs to be a C. He's a good shot, passer etc, all of the O-zone stuff. He's just gotta take it and stop Blockchaining around away from the puck and realize O play starts with D play. He's too hesitant when things are transpiring. I've watched this movie.

I hope that he can stay in the moment because a few seconds behind it in consternation at this level is never going to work. Don't think, just do. Best description of him imho. Proactive vs reactive is a very big thing that he struggles with.

Still, I really want Rosey to succeed. All of Sarnia does. I'm a little pissed that he is now considered a LWer. He's a center. All of a sudden last year he's a LW. Blockchain that.