2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

How the Flames will line up without Mang. Would appear Ruzicka is getting closer

Personally, I didn't think too much of the top line after Mange was kicked out.

I hate to play a prospect on a top line, but Zary is the one player that seems to make others better.

Seems Dube is just the placeholder for Mane missing ONE game.

I don't know how close Ruzicka is to playing, but I hope he is healthy soon.

I do hope that Pospisil gets one more game, since a hot start can give you a real boost.

I don't know about roster fit, but I think he makes a fine 13/14th F.

After the suspension and Ruzicka returns to game action, we have some decisions to make.  

Who comes out?  Pospisil most likely, but maybe he knocks down Greer.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The big question, for me, is what happened to Dube? He's had some downright awful games, like, most of them.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  Seems to have fallen off a cliff.  I think you may want to use him at C, but do it on the 4th line for now.  If the practicing players were able to go, I would line them up like:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Zary*

Ruzicka-Kadri-Sharangovich

Pospisil-Backlund-Coleman

Greer-Dube-Duehr

Seeing the relative speed of Duehr and Greer, I think Dube might get some rushes going.

To me, I think Zara and Pospisil has done enough to earn a longer look, and if they don't, Conroy saying we will play the rooks if they earn a spot is a lie. I can see that biting them in the butt in the long run, as demoralizing the kids. There actually isn't a route to the NHL through Calgary. Im overreacting as usual. :P

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  Seems to have fallen off a cliff.  I think you may want to use him at C, but do it on the 4th line for now.  If the practicing players were able to go, I would line them up like:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Zary*

Ruzicka-Kadri-Sharangovich

Pospisil-Backlund-Coleman

Greer-Dube-Duehr

Seeing the relative speed of Duehr and Greer, I think Dube might get some rushes going.

I can get behind this. Though I might even put Zary in the middle and move Lindholm to the wing. Though it really doesn't matter too much after the initial faceoff anymore, it just turns into F1, F2 and F3.

So far this year Dube has looked like a 4th liner, so that's where I would play him. Defensively he hasn't been what I expected him to be coming out of junior. Being reliable at both ends of the ice was his calling card in Kelowna and he just hasn't been that in the NHL.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

To me, I think Zara and Pospisil has done enough to earn a longer look, and if they don't, Conroy saying we will play the rooks if they earn a spot is a lie. I can see that biting them in the butt in the long run, as demoralizing the kids. There actually isn't a route to the NHL through Calgary. Im overreacting as usual. :P

I think it has been reluctance to waive Hunt, because he is somewhat a typical 13th F.  In what I have seen, both Pospisil and Zary are more effective.  That may come off sounding like I hate Hunt, but I am looking for the most effective players.  Hunt competes every game, but I just don't see the impact in a positive light.  It's perhaps a tough call, but Dube might be the one most likely to sit after Mange gets back in.   

Connie has to talk to the coach about roster decisions.  It failed last year where players get the call and sit instead of playing.  I don't mean the coach makes the decisions alone, just that you want a decision to be made and it means bringing up a player to play.  And if you need to waive a player, make sure that the coach shares the opinion.  

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hunt on waivers. This is likely procedural with Ruzicka nearing return and Zary off to a promising start. 

Well, this certainly isn't BT and Sutter roster management.

Pospisil may not ultimately be able to maintain consistent play, but he is showing good so far.

I welcome this decision.

Was worried that sending down Coronato maybe was a sign, but I support that as well.

He needs to get confidence and positioning back in his game.

44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Do you put Mange back in Friday?

I’d think long and hard about going with the same group of forwards Friday. Tonight was probably the Flames best performance of the year.

Sucks for Mange,  but his reckless decision gave opportunity to others.

I think so, but I'm not sure of the lines that would work.

We won 2 games because we shortened the bench tonight and were forced to react after the major.

Consider we played Greer and Duehr less than 6 the entire game.

So, leave alone the Kadri line.

Pospisil could drop down to the 4th line.

Huberdeau is the wild card.

Ruzicka was more effective there.

Question is whether or not Huberdeau just can't play with Dube.

No issues with no Huberdeau.  Together I was questioning Dube being able to play.

Let me spell it out to see if it makes sense as I start combining.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mange

Zary-Kadri-Govich

Dube-Backlund-Coleman

Pospisil-Ruzicka-Duehr

The top line is the suspect one.  I don't think you make it better swapping Dube up there with Hubey.

But maybe that's the only way to make Huberdeau work.

I have a hard time demoting both Pospisil and Ruzicka.

I just can't fix it.  

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think so, but I'm not sure of the lines that would work.

We won 2 games because we shortened the bench tonight and were forced to react after the major.

Consider we played Greer and Duehr less than 6 the entire game.

So, leave alone the Kadri line.

Pospisil could drop down to the 4th line.

Huberdeau is the wild card.

Ruzicka was more effective there.

Question is whether or not Huberdeau just can't play with Dube.

No issues with no Huberdeau.  Together I was questioning Dube being able to play.

Let me spell it out to see if it makes sense as I start combining.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mange

Zary-Kadri-Govich

Dube-Backlund-Coleman

Pospisil-Ruzicka-Duehr

The top line is the suspect one.  I don't think you make it better swapping Dube up there with Hubey.

But maybe that's the only way to make Huberdeau work.

I have a hard time demoting both Pospisil and Ruzicka.

I just can't fix it.  

I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like, from the ten min I listened to that the Kadri line was the best and exciting all game to the point of my 10 min drive. Sounds like we might have someone that for Kadri going finally. 

i think this is why we fail at development sometimes. Even this off-season we failed to try some kids with vets and try new combinations like this. In the past ten years or so it's been the same. You can't break up Monahan and Gaudreau! We fixate on what is working against the better development for the team instead.

It's my theory and I'm probably wrong. 

but long story, let's keep the Kadri line together for a bit. Maybe Mange and Dube don't fit?

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It's my theory and I'm probably wrong. 

It's always the issue of, "try to get x going", so you break up the good to fix the bad.

If I'm the D coach vs the Flames, I'm telling my wingers to play high on the D, Andersson will ALWAYS look to pinch, Huberdeau will ALWAYS look to pass. Force them to try to play the mid-zone, they don't do that well. Put the puck over the D and have a race because half of them will be leaning the wrong way.

I have a big problem with our vets not named Hanifin or Coleman being far too predictable for the opposition. Hanifin can score on pinches because you never know when he might. Coleman is a motor that will go anywhere and do anything for disruption with decent mitts.

Everyone else, they already know what you're going to try to do. If you don't mix it up, scoring is going to be a huge problem. Huberdeau, their entire team is leaning towards your pass. It's why your passes aren't getting there. STILL, you absolutely refuse to shoot. Watch endless reels of you with the puck. LOOK AT THE DEFENDERS, even the goalie. You have EVERYBODY leaning in anticipation. You couldn't ask for a better time to shoot the f@$#ing thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Do you put Mange back in Friday?

I’d think long and hard about going with the same group of forwards Friday. Tonight was probably the Flames best performance of the year.

Sucks for Mange,  but his reckless decision gave opportunity to others.

I wouldn't, but I'm not a fan regardless. Stat-darlings that don't pass the eye test don't work for me. Nothing against him, I just don't like how he plays. Same goes for DeBrincat, so it's not like I have a vendetta. I just don't particularly like players that can't protect the puck, regardless of other successes. Losing every puck battle is no way to win at hockey.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Think I would leave Pospisil on Backs line.

Put Dube on the 4th.

With back to back games we will need to roll all 4 lines.

Yeah, it's been good so far with Pospisil.  He's as annoying to the goalie as Coleman.  I don't think Dube should get a demotion, but really I don't think we have a #1 line.  Just keep him away from Huberdeau.  That doesn't work at all.  Dube-Ruzicka-Duehr or Ruzicka-Dube-Duehr could work, but they need to be fed minutes.  One thing is certain, the Kadri line was the best and probably most consistent over the last number of games.  Don't mess with it.  Huberdeau could work as long as he stops passing.  He's in the same boat as Gaudreau used to be before he started shooting.  Everyone know where you are going.  Pass.  Pass.  Pass.  Take away his space and he will give it up because he's waiting to pass.

I think you have to give Zary some credit here on the impact he's made. Players like him that have high IQ and are great at the details in their game are going to give any line they are on a boost. 

I actually think Kadri has been mostly good this season. sure a bad game here or there but i'm not seeing the same Kadri we saw last year. He seems to be getting back to his strengths. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think you have to give Zary some credit here on the impact he's made. Players like him that have high IQ and are great at the details in their game are going to give any line they are on a boost. 

I actually think Kadri has been mostly good this season. sure a bad game here or there but i'm not seeing the same Kadri we saw last year. He seems to be getting back to his strengths. 

Huska talked about it last night.  Having Zary make smart decisions allows him to focus on the line and not just trying to do it himself.  Govich has quietly started playing his best hockey.  Kadri taking Zary under his wing.  If you recall last year, some of Huberdeau's best hockey was with Pelletier.  Maybe I am a little fuzzy on the details since there were a lot of things going wrong.  

For now, I will just say the Kadri line is the most consistent line at driving the play.  Kadri looked good at times with Ruzicka and Dube, but it didn't last that long.  Try not to fix one problem by creating another.  Backlund line looked good last night.  Dube had a limited positive game away from Huberdeau.  

We have B2B games coming up.  Having some different looks if some players are having an off 2nd game.  We need points right now.

At this point you leave the Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich line alone and in tact as they are the best line by a mile.

Somehow you have to find a way to get Huberdeau going though, and I think after benching him last night, you have to put him out there a lot and in a lot of offensive situations. I just don’t think it will ever work with Lindholm. Put him out there with Backlund and Coleman. 

Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Dube

Pospisil-Ruzicka-Duehr

Swap Ruzicka and Dube depending on who is going that night.

I get that putting Huberdeau with Backlund causes some issues with how you deploy your best defensive forwards, but I think Backlund is the best center on the roster for Huberdeau and right now you need to get your $10.5m forward going at any cost.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

At this point you leave the Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich line alone and in tact as they are the best line by a mile.

Somehow you have to find a way to get Huberdeau going though, and I think after benching him last night, you have to put him out there a lot and in a lot of offensive situations. I just don’t think it will ever work with Lindholm. Put him out there with Backlund and Coleman. 

Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Dube

Pospisil-Ruzicka-Duehr

Swap Ruzicka and Dube depending on who is going that night.

I get that putting Huberdeau with Backlund causes some issues with how you deploy your best defensive forwards, but I think Backlund is the best center on the roster for Huberdeau and right now you need to get your $10.5m forward going at any cost.

I think that Dube and Mange on the same line is a bit frustrating to watch.  I agree that maybe the solution is to swap him and Ruzicka.  Putting Dube at C would take him somewhat out of the situations he struggles with; zone entries on the wing, board battles, etc.  Backlund and Coleman tend to go to the net more often, so since Huberdeau refuses to do it, force him to take shots with rebounds available.  Backlund would help his defensive liabilities as well.

4 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Saw that as well.

Vladar trade on the horizon? 

Flip him to SJ for Duclair lol

Well, it's a big hockey weekend.  B2B Fri/Sat.  And again on the road on Tuesday.  I think it's having a backup in town in case something happens.  Haven't heard of any injuries.  They can pay him NHL wages for the long weekend.  Maybe they give him a game against a team we have struggled to beat in recent years.