Samuel Honzek 2023 1st Round Pick

Looks like three is chatter about the performance bonus structure. 

I don't have any issue with performance bonuses, but I am a little worried they may let him Crack the lineup this year.

Anyway,  that aside, performance bonuses should happen more often

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with bonuses. Wish there was a base salary and maybe tiered for more talent... 

5m then bonus mil for every 10 points they get over 50 points

or for every 10 points is a mil 

That would suck for dmen and goalies lol, It's been well thought out as is with the A & B categories. The cap on annual bonuses is $3.5 (Bedard, Cooley) but is fairly rare. I thought Honzek might be an increasing structure by year like .5/1/1.25 similar to Dvorsky but it's in line. Danielson's is $1mil per whereas Sale's is $0.

Honzek is 2 years away from that mattering though.

We'll be an almost entirely different team when he makes it, how strange is that to think about? Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar and Andersson could be the only one's remaining.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That would suck for dmen and goalies lol, It's been well thought out as is with the A & B categories. The cap on annual bonuses is $3.5 (Bedard, Cooley) but is fairly rare. I thought Honzek might be an increasing structure by year like .5/1/1.25 similar to Dvorsky but it's in line. Danielson's is $1mil per whereas Sale's is $0.

Honzek is 2 years away from that mattering though.

We'll be an almost entirely different team when he makes it, how strange is that to think about? Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar and Andersson could be the only one's remaining.

ya after posting I was thinking of how players with specialties would get bonuses, as the 1m per 10 points wouldn't work for many.

On 7/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, robrob74 said:

ya after posting I was thinking of how players with specialties would get bonuses, as the 1m per 10 points wouldn't work for many.

Seider waves his Calder.lol

If Edvinsson and Wallinder even come close to Seider Detroit will be terrifying on the backend. Albert Johansson's only 6' but solid. Sandin-Pellikka working out his D game, Anton Johansson's a giant with a monster clapper.

So much Sweden, and Niklas Kronwall is all over them for development. The joys of ex-players staying with the team. They all have the same comments, "Niklas Kronwall is helping me review game tapes and he calls me all of the time."

You get 1 Lidstrom and every Swedish Dman wants to play on your team.lol

If all of it works out I'll just call the D "the mountains".

"No way you can match our skill up front". Well, I hope they like playing in the mountains.

Our 1 knock on Seider was being more physical, he started that last year.

Fairly soon, I think every Norris will be Makar vs Seider, who stayed healthy all year?

This is year 5 of the Yzerplan, hopefully some playoff doors start opening. We beat TBay on the regular but need to get the Leafs, NJ and Buffalo out of our heads, especially the Leafs. Outplay them every game and give it all away in the 3rd. They are our Oilers. I live in Leafs-Wings-Bruins land, in that order. It's time. It's high time to overcome the Leafs because Wings-Bruins fans aren't over-bearing, but we're united in sick and tired of the Leafs and TSN's one team commentary. Even the radio here balances the Leafs and Wings. TSN is a nightmare. 90% Leafs talk, 10% smattering of 31 other teams.

Just another reason I stream the visitors feed vs the Flames. Between periods, they talk about the game at hand. In Canada, they don't. If the Leafs/Oilers play, it's all about that. Away streams are WAAAAY better, it's not close. With the bonus that you get other perspectives about the Flames.

SNET's coverage is Satoshi Nakamoto.

Another reason to enjoy the Wings is Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond. You won't find a list that they aren't at or near the top of. It's like an awakening from Cdn commentary. They are the antithesis of homer, slathering on the love for both teams and the game. Then you get the "pop-up" guests like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Kronwall, Draper, etc etc. They'll bring in everyone and anyone during commentary. "So Nick, thanks for joining us. So if you were out there right now, what would you do about Johnny Gaudreau"?

They set the bar of what commentary should be. Mickey's getting up there and we're all very fearful about eventually losing him. He honestly just loves the game and doesn't take sides. He can be hilarious between the benches. Quiet, quiet, quiet,,,,"Mickey I can see you're still down there". "yeah I turned my mike off, I was just talking with Danny DeKeyser after that play and he told me explicitly to go get with a lady, so I told him I wish I still had it in me. He's a good guy, remember that Chicago series...".

Mickey is pure gold.

When the visiting team is bringing in star players, he is hyper-focused. A few years ago, Calgary vs Detroit, he was completely over the moon about Gaudreau. His commentary was basically, "the barn is full for a rare glimpse of Johnny Gaudreau live". And he just rode Gaudreau all game. If I were to guess, it's his favourite player by a mile. That's when Lidstrom joined him and Mickey was just frothing with Gaudreau. "Look at the skating, look at the moves, look at, look at...".

You wouldn't know that wasn't Calgary's commentator. It is a complete breath of fresh air from CDN commentators that add zero excitement or insight for the viewer.

He's just as hard on a player that made a mistake that we all saw...then turns his mike off when he's between the benches.lol

There are none better than ol' Mickey and his ginger ale. We're going to cry when he retires. Absolute legend.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It depends on his health at the time the rosters are announced.  He has been there done that for two years already

Yes he has,  but international tournaments are significant for European kids. Really hurts a team like Slovakia too.

Would be great to watch him on that stage this year.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yes he has,  but international tournaments are significant for European kids. Really hurts a team like Slovakia too.

Would be great to watch him on that stage this year.

He would be on their radar, so if he is healthy in time, they will hold a spot for him.

On a positive note, because....you know...

If he has an injury then this is how it should be handled.  Privately and with an appropriate amount of time out.

Do not treat them lightly,  healing 100% is the most important thing.

This looks to be handled right.

Assuming of course, that they didn't play him injured all training camp, which is possible.

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

On a positive note, because....you know...

If he has an injury then this is how it should be handled.  Privately and with an appropriate amount of time out.

Do not treat them lightly,  healing 100% is the most important thing.

This looks to be handled right.

Assuming of course, that they didn't play him injured all training camp, which is possible.

There's nothing to suggest he played injured.

He had 3 games that I can track his minutes:

Sept. 27 - CGY @ WPG - 14:36 (mostly prospects)

Sept. 29 - CGY @ EDM - 8:46 (mostly full squad, 4th line minutes)

Oct. 4 - CGY @ EDM - 3:16 (mostly prospects)

I don't recall the game but it was likely obvious when it happened.  Would have been Oilers homer coverage.

If it was streamed, you would be lucky to have them notice Flames players on the ice.  

• 4 weeks later...

Steve Ewen

@SteveEwen

Samuel Honzek (lower body) is back in the Lower Mainland and skating and word from the

@WHLGiants

camp is that he’ll be in the line-up before the end of the month. Won’t play this weekend. Next game after that is next Wednesday vs. Spokane.

@NHLFlames

12:52 PM · Nov 16, 2023

·

Views

The Vancouver Giants aren't very good this year.

Honzek was born in 2004, this is going to be his last year of junior.

Hopefully, the Giants trade him for a haul at the deadline. Re-stock their cupboards and give the kid a chance to go on a deep run. 

PG or Saskatoon would be fun fits for Honzek. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Honzek name captain for the Giants.  He also is on the prelim roster for the WJC for Slovakia.

They had the GM on 960 right after he was drafted. He mentioned he would be captain.

The Giants are 9-14-2, so I still wonder of there's not a blockbuster to be made.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a solid age group for Slovakia.

They have a pretty good shot at winning a medal.

Wouldn't shock me if they are in the final. This is as wide open a World Juniors as I can remember. Your typical names are there of course (Can,SWE, US) but i'm not sure there is a clear favorite so far. 

Slovakia has looked as good as any. 

• Like 1