Samuel Honzek 2023 1st Round Pick

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to evaluate right now, a lot of promise.

Honzek coming off injury for his 2nd year in a row, this time on a...terrible, terrible team.

But he's captain of it, and the best player on it.

Was good ad world juniors.  Not great, but good.

Passing up Pellika for him continues to looks like a terrible idea, but this has more to do with Pellika's own path this year.    

Honzek looking promising.    I think.  

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hard to evaluate right now, a lot of promise.

Honzek coming off injury for his 2nd year in a row, this time on a...terrible, terrible team.

But he's captain of it, and the best player on it.

Was good ad world juniors.  Not great, but good.

Passing up Pellika for him continues to looks like a terrible idea, but this has more to do with Pellika's own path this year.    

Honzek looking promising.    I think.  

I don't have any idea how any of the kids would turn out. It's tough to pass up on a player like Honzek if you're looking for the homerun on his upside. But I was with you, and some said Honzek was a reach and some said he was not. I was with you thinking be good to look for the #1D. Is Pellika that? I also get that we have our D sort of set, but then we don't have elite D, just some really good ones in Andersson, Weegar and Hanifin. But is there a graduation process for when they age?

The "reach" is nonsense based on a couple of guys' opinions.

Honzek or ASP, doesn't really matter.

We need both types of players.

Both showed well in the WJC.

An 18 year old playing with pros in the SHL is impressive, but big rinks and good teams.

Ya can't tell at this point.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The "reach" is nonsense based on a couple of guys' opinions.

Honzek or ASP, doesn't really matter.

We need both types of players.

Both showed well in the WJC.

An 18 year old playing with pros in the SHL is impressive, but big rinks and good teams.

Ya can't tell at this point.

I shouldn't have brought it up lol, at least I was quieter than in the past.     Zary is another guy that I almost wrote off and now looks quite good.   Doesn't mean we'd do the exact same thing given another chance, but he turned out okay.

Both these guys too.. Zary and Honzek had their share of injuries making it extra hard to even ballpark it.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

I shouldn't have brought it up lol, at least I was quieter than in the past.     Zary is another guy that I almost wrote off and now looks quite good.   Doesn't mean we'd do the exact same thing given another chance, but he turned out okay.

Both these guys too.. Zary and Honzek had their share of injuries making it extra hard to even ballpark it.

I wasn't trashing you, just saying that we need certain players.

ASP would have been a good use of 2nd pick, but we didn't have one.

But there were a lot of players I would have like to have drafted.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, travel_dude said:

I wasn't trashing you, just saying that we need certain players.

ASP would have been a good use of 2nd pick, but we didn't have one.

But there were a lot of players I would have like to have drafted.

I very much look forward to having all of our picks and some extras too.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I very much look forward to having all of our picks and some extras too.

It's hard to collect picks when you don't have assets worth them and you have traded away a bunch to be middle of the road.  I don't fault BT for making deals that someone told him would make us a contender.  I blames the fools that told him we were one and just needed player X.  Toffoli was a decent trade, but we didn't have a #2C at the time.  Jarnkrok was a decent add, but not at where he fit (he didn't) on this team.

Anyway, I am expecting to wander in the wasteland for a few years.  We can't and won't be able to do a quick re-tool.  Could we get some really good prospects or young players with little experience?  No doubt.  I don't think there is much traction in re-signing Hanifin.  Nothing discussed in the last month.  That doesn't bode well for retaining any of the UFA's.  Hanifin, Lindholm and Tanev.  The others not so much.  Kylington is the kind of guy you keep to get him to the next level or just let him go.  Have a bit of runway to decide.  Doubt he gets dealt.  The others may not be that important.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't fault BT

I've got that covered

They're definitely doing it the long way lol.     We had a lot of assets that could have sped things up.

But ultimately, as long as teams manage to hold onto their draft picks, and focus on drafting/development, things will turn out.   Just gotta build that pipeline up a bit, and, yeah we may drift, but we'll have guys like Honzek to look forward to

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, zima said:

Looks like Hons and lips didn't do much to help there team I am now worried we picked 2 AHL players who will never see NHL. except for maybe a few call up if at all.

Give them a few years.  Some players take longer, especially when they were injured most of the year.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:43 AM, travel_dude said:

Give them a few years.  Some players take longer, especially when they were injured most of the year.

Question with all the option we had at the first pick and second would you have picked either of them?

12 minutes ago, zima said:

Question with all the option we had at the first pick and second would you have picked either of them?

There were lots of players that could have been picked.  I had no specific choice at the time.