2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

8 hours ago, sak22 said:

Its a case where the contract is detrimental to continuing his career in the NHL, not going to be a Red Wing and the only people who will take him for 2 years at 1.8M are armchair GM's, hitting free agency would be the best thing for him.

What's really wild is that it is Zadina that wants the contract voided. The 3yr deal was backloaded so he's walking away from $5mil over the last 2 years. It's waivers to terminate, not buyout. Bizarro, must've had a hissy fit.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2023/07/05/detroit-red-wings-filip-zadina-contract-waivers-trade-request/70385121007/

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

What's really wild is that it is Zadina that wants the contract voided. The 3yr deal was backloaded so he's walking away from $5mil over the last 2 years. It's waivers to terminate, not buyout. Bizarro, must've had a hissy fit.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2023/07/05/detroit-red-wings-filip-zadina-contract-waivers-trade-request/70385121007/

I think sometimes the players feel that the contract will limit their play, due to cap reasons carrying a bit hit.  He was probably destined to play in the AHL for DET, which has a pipeline of players.  Playing in the AHL would mean no team is going to bother trading for him.

I suppose he can get a chance to sign with any team he wants and sees an opportunity for minutes.  If there is nothing good, he can go sign in Europe.  Not the typical route, but the cap is squeezing players out in general.  Overpaying for "stars" that put up 50 points and the journeymen are not getting offers.  CHI has to overpay just to reach the floor.  Or trade for an overpriced player.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think sometimes the players feel that the contract will limit their play, due to cap reasons carrying a bit hit.  He was probably destined to play in the AHL for DET, which has a pipeline of players.  Playing in the AHL would mean no team is going to bother trading for him.

I suppose he can get a chance to sign with any team he wants and sees an opportunity for minutes.  If there is nothing good, he can go sign in Europe.  Not the typical route, but the cap is squeezing players out in general.  Overpaying for "stars" that put up 50 points and the journeymen are not getting offers.  CHI has to overpay just to reach the floor.  Or trade for an overpriced player.  

I love the bravado that he believes he's better than that and will bet on himself. Right now it looks like a grave error so he's going to have to blow the doors off on a 1yr. I hope the best for him, he's really not a bad player, just couldn't find a fit for him. I wonder if he thinks that he can come with demands now?lol

edit

I wouldn't hate for the Flames to try him. But not with a demand that he's guaranteed a roster spot. He has a lot of earning to do. Him and Ruzicka can be the Czech connection. Dingle and Dangle. Bing and Bong. The Ing brothers, Try and Chance. Rosey and Posey.

I don't care either way, but will be sad if he pops for 20/30 elsewhere. I will say that how good he is defensively is seriously overlooked. Only Wings fans seem to know it.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I love the bravado that he believes he's better than that and will bet on himself. Right now it looks like a grave error so he's going to have to blow the doors off on a 1yr. I hope the best for him, he's really not a bad player, just couldn't find a fit for him. I wonder if he thinks that he can come with demands now?lol

edit

I wouldn't hate for the Flames to try him. But not with a demand that he's guaranteed a roster spot. He has a lot of earning to do. Him and Ruzicka can be the Czech connection. Dingle and Dangle. Bing and Bong. The Ing brothers, Try and Chance. Rosey and Posey.

I don't care either way, but will be sad if he pops for 20/30 elsewhere. I will say that how good he is defensively is seriously overlooked. Only Wings fans seem to know it.

If I am Zadina, I look at Chicago and their lack of skilled forwards outside of Bedard and that’s where I want to go.

I would like to see him come to Calgary, but Calgary needs some PR work to be able to get some of these guys to come here right now. I am not sure where his fit here would be either.

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

edit

For sime odd reason, I think he would do well in CGY.  Don't know why.  Maybe it's because players that should do well here end up being really bad.  Jarnkrok was a player that should have meshed well here, but struggled to do anything.  And Sutter actually loved the player.  Toffoli was nothing much until he was placed on the top line.  Rooney couldn't even make a  dent in the lineup, but maybe expecting a middle 6 player to play well on a grind line was too much.

I don't think he's in position to demand anything.  Waiver wire no takers and we have team struggling to fill their rosters and cap.  Even a claim isn't a guaranteed spot, though it's a waste to have to have dead cap to send him back down.  

As for fit, who knows.  Mangiapane isn't recovered yet, and whether that had anything to do with his struggle to score, who knows.  I think he tries to play bigger than he really is.  Hence why he falls a lot.  I think we should try to take advantage of the one time 35 goal scorer and trade him for a more durable player.  Maybe one that can play RW so we aren't always trying to convert LW's.  I know it should be easier, but we seem to get dedicated LW'ers.  

Sing him now and look at other players to add that are better 4th line fits.  We kinda have to figure out the top of the lineup, whether we replace Backlund, whether we are moving Mange, whether we need a top 3 RW, whether we need a RHS C, whether we solve some of it with trades....

What's crazy now is the Wings not reaching an agreement with the Sens is holding up the Sens signing Tarasenko(rumour).

I'd love to be a phone bug between Yzerman and Dorion.lol

I can only imagine how many times Yzerman has said no to asks.

End game: Detroit takes DeBrincat for a year. Flips him back to the Sens at tdl for twice as much.

I'd definitely give Zadina a 1 year show me contract. I don't suspect he'd come here but I'd engage for sure. 

Flames do have the opportunity to dangle but the cap's gonna be an issue and I think there will be more attractive places. 

Not the best insider but lots of reports Vladar is available in trade. 

Between that and signing 2 goalies to AHL deals (in addition to having Dansk) it looks like Wolf is going to be in the NHL next year. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not the best insider but lots of reports Vladar is available in trade. 

Between that and signing 2 goalies to AHL deals (in addition to having Dansk) it looks like Wolf is going to be in the NHL next year. 

Just a matter of when, not if.  Conroy speaks of leaving room on the roster for kids to compete for a job at training camp.  Goaltending is exactly one place to do this.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s probably nothing but interesting anyway

Solutuon is simple for both sides.

Short term deal.  2 or less.

Evaluate after this season.

Stuff still exists, he is easily tradeable.

2 years also lines up better with a high cap.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Solutuon is simple for both sides.

Short term deal.  2 or less.

Evaluate after this season.

Stuff still exists, he is easily tradeable.

2 years also lines up better with a high cap.

Pretty big risk to pass up 60 mill guaranteed in a sport where 1 injury can ruin your career. 

This is his payday and I don’t see him passing it up 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

But the big bad coach is gone... It was all Sutter or maybe it was only a small part of the issue. Change can be good and it can be bad it's what you make of it. So who has a crystal Fing ball to predict the next 8 years and how it's going to go? So just to clarify, he wants a term and a certain dollar amount and has been provided each but Nah needs to think about it, BS. Here is where I lose faith in the GM, grow a set stick to your guns let him know that the offer has been revoked, and if you trade his Hash Rate now. Conroy can not take this into the season, the temptation to hold on to these clowns will be too great. 

Worst case scenario without a doubt is taking Lindholm into the season without that extension signed.

There was a lot that went wrong last year and they still almost made the playoffs. Markstrom will have a hard time being worse. If he can be .905, that might be enough. Huberdeau will have more than 55pts. A 70pt season has them in the playoff mix.

All that to say, if they walk Lindholm into this season, they open themselves up to a Gaudreau situation. With Lindholm on the team, they are good enough to be in the mix. Which would eliminate the possibility of an in-season deal.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Worst case scenario without a doubt is taking Lindholm into the season without that extension signed.

There was a lot that went wrong last year and they still almost made the playoffs. Markstrom will have a hard time being worse. If he can be .905, that might be enough. Huberdeau will have more than 55pts. A 70pt season has them in the playoff mix.

All that to say, if they walk Lindholm into this season, they open themselves up to a Gaudreau situation. With Lindholm on the team, they are good enough to be in the mix. Which would eliminate the possibility of an in-season deal.

And unfortunately, every team in the NHL knows this.  Conroy even told the entire league that he's going to avoid that situation.  Has he made any friends around the league yet?  Is there a GM willing to help Conroy out with a fair trade?  Man, I would think he'd be traded already if the answers were "yes".

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm sure max money is what he's looking for.  He's not taking a hometown discount.  He's been on one for 4-years.  It's time to get paid.  But, it doesn't sound like money is the issue.  The Flames seem willing to pay whatever the price.

Off ice stuff, I mean, there's no guarantee another team's locker room is going to be any friendlier and easier to work with.  There are varying levels of toxic work environments everywhere you go.  He needs to understand this.

And so, is he troubled by family stuff?  Not sure how this can be remedied other than move to the US where private health care is available.  Don't need to be on the public system in Canada.

The mandate in Calgary is make the playoffs.  They can't make the playoffs without Lindholm.  Therefore priority 1 is to sign Lindholm to an extension. 

To do that you need to show Lindholm we can be competitive despite last season and despite the number of departures / expected departures.  That requires Conroy to make a trade for a big time player, preferably at RW.  That is a tough ask given our lack of cap space and an understandable reluctance to trade futures.  

It is possible Conroy pulls off a Nylander level trade.  But without taking futures or taking on cap I think that type of trade might be too difficult to pull off.  I expect more Sharangovich level moves once its clear the big fish are off the table.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The mandate in Calgary is make the playoffs.  They can't make the playoffs without Lindholm.  Therefore priority 1 is to sign Lindholm to an extension. 

To do that you need to show Lindholm we can be competitive despite last season and despite the number of departures / expected departures.  That requires Conroy to make a trade for a big time player, preferably at RW.  That is a tough ask given our lack of cap space and an understandable reluctance to trade futures.  

It is possible Conroy pulls off a Nylander level trade.  But without taking futures or taking on cap I think that type of trade might be too difficult to pull off.  I expect more Sharangovich level moves once its clear the big fish are off the table.  

holy! It's been awhile! Good seeing you here.

I agree.

I think to that point, Conroy is realizing that the old days where vets had juice and consistency, and desire to win to drive teams are basically over. They're not as jumpy as they used to be, and kids have more hunger.

17 minutes ago, kehatch said:

totally disagree with all of this but really great to see you

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

totally disagree with all of this but really great to see you

I agree with what Kehatch is saying, but I disagree with what the team wants to do. I think it's the team's mandate. I disagree with the mandate, but feel Conroy will go for youth and kids that can grow long term in the organization. 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with what Kehatch is saying, but I disagree with what the team wants to do. I think it's the team's mandate. I disagree with the mandate, but feel Conroy will go for youth and kids that can grow long term in the organization. 

You truly are the glue that holds us all together on here lol.

You basically said what I was thinking in a much nicer way yes.   If the mandate was to kick the can down another year, that probably would be the way.   It would fail, because we don't have the goaltending/defence and are likely losing more of what little we have.   It would also fail because we've hit a cap space wall with years of can-kicking.

Conroy's all but said he has new objectives.  Sustainable development, Sustainable contracts, players who want to be here.   

In his shoes, I might burn it all down, and admittedly this is also not his mandate, his is more moderate.  It seems he is looking to maintain some level of respect while at the same time building our pipelilne back up and gradually repairing the contract situation.    I give him the thumbs up so far on his efforts here.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I disagree with the direction as well.  But I don't make the trades or sign the checks.  The mandate is be competitive and you can't expect to do that if you lose Lindholm. Conroy will try and sign him until Lindholm makes it clear he won't sign an extension.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this go into the season in hopes that we are competitive out of the gate and that results in an extension.