2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Man, it's been 5 years since I last posted something here. Unfortunately, my old acount didn't work anymore and the last few years I've just read a bit here and on other forums.

It has been a very frustrating last season, many things didn't work the way we hoped. Yet with just a little bit better goaltending ( or plain said a little less Markstrom in goal) we would have made the playoffs.

And here we are with several contracts in their last year and no clear idea which way the Flames will go.

I think Hanifin and Toffoli are the 2 guys who said that they hope to be traded, unfortunately Backlund is trending also that way in hope to win the cup. And Lindholm right now is a ?

Personally I don't get the negativity towards some of the players that may be on the way out. Most of these have played many seasons here and if we go for a rebuild or they don't want to give those vets longterm contracts, I've got no problems with them looking for other opportunities.

Anyway, greetings from Germany, I'm glad to be back guys!

29 minutes ago, manu12 said:

Man, it's been 5 years since I last posted something here. Unfortunately, my old acount didn't work anymore and the last few years I've just read a bit here and on other forums.

It has been a very frustrating last season, many things didn't work the way we hoped. Yet with just a little bit better goaltending ( or plain said a little less Markstrom in goal) we would have made the playoffs.

And here we are with several contracts in their last year and no clear idea which way the Flames will go.

I think Hanifin and Toffoli are the 2 guys who said that they hope to be traded, unfortunately Backlund is trending also that way in hope to win the cup. And Lindholm right now is a ?

Personally I don't get the negativity towards some of the players that may be on the way out. Most of these have played many seasons here and if we go for a rebuild or they don't want to give those vets longterm contracts, I've got no problems with them looking for other opportunities.

Anyway, greetings from Germany, I'm glad to be back guys!

Welcome back.

It should be a wild week.  I expect the Flames to make at least one trade tomorrow on the draft floor.  Probably Toffoli traded.  We shall see.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Welcome back.

It should be a wild week.  I expect the Flames to make at least one trade tomorrow on the draft floor.  Probably Toffoli traded.  We shall see.

Thank you very much Peeps, hope you guys are doing well!

I'm a bit excited about the draft, and if I'm beeing honest before the media kept shooting out those news about players leaving, Toffoli & Hanifin were the guys I hoped were going to get traded. Mainly, because I don't think high money longterm contracts would be a good thing for these two for this franchise.

Just now, manu12 said:

Thank you very much Peeps, hope you guys are doing well!

I'm a bit excited about the draft, and if I'm beeing honest before the media kept shooting out those news about players leaving, Toffoli & Hanifin were the guys I hoped were going to get traded. Mainly, because I don't think high money longterm contracts would be a good thing for these two for this franchise.

Ah Manu12, been awhile.  Good to see people able to get back in.  The change to the website killed off quite a few.  

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ah Manu12, been awhile.  Good to see people able to get back in.  The change to the website killed off quite a few.  

Hey td, it certainly has been awhile:)  You might be right about the change of the website. I remebember it was around the draft in 2018 there I could no longer sign in, thanks to a problems with the password. Unfortunately at that time I had a similar problem with my mailacoount and couldn't set my password back. Then 2 or 3 years ago, I tried 2 times to create a new account but couldn't verify it, cause the security code didn't show up. The end of that is, that in both cases I got several mails from the forum, that somenone else used my half sign up to hack into the forum. At that point I gave up until now.

3 minutes ago, manu12 said:

Hey td, it certainly has been awhile:)  You might be right about the change of the website. I remebember it was around the draft in 2018 there I could no longer sign in, thanks to a problems with the password. Unfortunately at that time I had a similar problem with my mailacoount and couldn't set my password back. Then 2 or 3 years ago, I tried 2 times to create a new account but couldn't verify it, cause the security code didn't show up. The end of that is, that in both cases I got several mails from the forum, that somenone else used my half sign up to hack into the forum. At that point I gave up until now.

Glad to have another poster! 

I know how it feels being a lurker.

Been a part of the forums since 2009 technically but have only been posting regularly in the last few years. 

GFG! 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps that has something to do with the way he is talking; knowing that the Flames want to get younger.  I support moving out a 34 year old.  We aren't the retirement club now.  I was surprised that CAR re-signed Staal for as long as they did.  Yeah, I get we have a couple like that here, but they are years away from retirement.  We can offload later.

I tend to agree with this statement.  Backlund has been nothing if not loyal to the team.  Knowing his age and the normal strategy of drawing in youth to the game, he may have chosen to “fall on his sword” for the team.  He has probably been one of the best players for accepting win-win contracts, debatably leaving money on the table in order to play here.

I think that Backlund is giving Calgary the opportunity to benefit from his past year’s success in order to promote growth and progression within the team.

If it does happen that he is not traded, he will still be a valuable commodity as that good mentor -possibly a player-coach concept.

Backlund has always been a class act and dedicated to this team, so I could totally see this type of scenario.

I've been here since 2009 as well but most of my forum guys have learned just to ignore my stupidity I come up with some bajinga's. Most here try to give me some advice like shut the front door or just learn how to spell and make sentences the sentance thing still aludes me but I like to put my one cents worth in 

11 minutes ago, manu12 said:

We have had a few issues.  One change resulted in a lot of posters losing their accounts.  FF52 was one of them, but he managed to get back on for awhile.  We had a few other issues, the most recent was about a year ago.  They changed the security on the site and the links.  Some probably have not been able to get on since that one.

We have seen a few "people" post weird threads with hyperlinks to obscure topics.  Those have been hidden, so no worries.  

Just now, zima said:

I've be3e4n here since 2009 as well but most of my forum guys have learned just to ignore my stupidity I come up with some bajinga's. Most here try to give me some advice like shut the front door or just learn how to spell and make sentences the sentance thing still aludes me but I like to put my one caents worth in 

Your opinion is taken like the rest of the other posters.  If people don't agree they will call you out perhaps.  Don't take it as an insult.  People have very strong opinions about things and take it personally.  Some that is.  We used to have a lot of trolls that tried to get people going.  Like ConnorFutureGM.  He was a joke.  Complete fool.  Such an Oilers homer back in the day when they weren't even close to a playoff team.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting trade for WPG.  No idea what their other plans are.  

Freaking Avs only had their 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th. Savvy moves. 3 picks in the top 37 now. Nice job to replenish the prospect pool. Heidt, Perron/Bonk, Ziemmer neighbourhoods. Damn I hate them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Freaking Avs only had their 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th. Savvy moves. 3 picks in the top 37 now. Nice job to replenish the prospect pool. Heidt, Perron/Bonk, Ziemmer neighbourhoods. Damn I hate them.

No 3rd and 5th for us this year and likely no 1st next year.  Well possibly.

The trade conditions give me a headache when I read them; BT really went on a limb there.

The only time we had multiple 1st rounders was when we managed to just get Monahan.

33 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Glad to have another poster! 

I know how it feels being a lurker.

Been a part of the forums since 2009 technically but have only been posting regularly in the last few years. 

GFG! 

I've also been here since 2009, so quite a few good and bad years:)

I certainly wasn't in the tier 1 or 2 of posting, had about 470 posts in the 10 years, my last post on my old account was in May 2019, so it's actually just 4 years that i haven't posted.

Back to hockey

The Newhook deal looks like a good deal for Colorado, for a guy thtat hasn't shown that he is a top6 Center yet.

I guess that he isn't really a good fit in the bottom 6 and with Johansen probablly beeing the Nr.2 it was the right move. Time will tell.

Flames open the next season against Winnipeg in the battle of teams nobody wants to play for.  Our Vancouver friends only get 1 chance to see them live, while the Ducks only make one visit in April, so it could be potentially be a long wait to see Adam Fantili live, Bedard's also only makes one stop.  I imagine if Sutter took a look at that start to the season he'd be quite glad he's gone.

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Embracing asset management, what a concept. 

Good teams are the ones doing this. This need to be a buyer or seller is a thing of the past. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not really surprising, given how the trades for sellers look like outside of Colorado. Maybe some guys are trying to lowball our Rookie GM who knows. Hope we get at least one good offer tomorrow on the floor.

47 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not really surprised. 

Organization in transition, and not exactly marquee pieces being put on the block. Been saying this for a while but I don't expect to be impressed by the return on anyone the Flames are rumored to be shopping/willing to deal. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lindholm and Duehr.

The only two RHS Flames forwards.

Hard to see Coronato making the team out of camp right now. Lots of bodies on the wings.

And maybe down to only Duehr in about one week's time.

It's vital we draft Danielson or Yager.  RHS C is a huge organizational need.  Cole Schwindt is the only RHS C in the minors.

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And maybe down to only Duehr in about one week's time.

It's vital we draft Danielson or Yager.  RHS C is a huge organizational need.  Cole Schwindt is the only RHS C in the minors.

And Klapka and Phillips, though Little Matt isn't signed.