2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Duclair thing is speculation on the part of the hosts. Not a rumor and they didn't even say they know the Flames have interest. 

Man.. this is gonna be a tough summer. Starting to prepare myself for a lot of overaction, negativity and scapegoating...... 

I already see we are back to scapegoating's another GM even though the Flames are in the same situation they were in 10 yeas ago. Wonder what hasn't changed in that time frame.....

Overreacting is what we do here lol

BT was a hero signing Neal..then it wasn't 

He was a god for what he pulled off in the tkachuk trade (seriously.. I bought the "summer of Brad" t-shirt  lol

The comeback kids make it to the second round and we were one player away from a cup .. 

I'll stand by what I have always said.. scorched earth is a gamble that doesn't pay off nearly as much as people wanting it think.. 

A player that doesn't want to be here is useless .. don't care who it is .. Hanifin and Lindholm should be able to land you the trifecta ..picks ..players .. prospects..  Backlund is likely a futures or depth player .. 

teams win cups .. until this year no $10m player had won one (Eichel) ..  Tampa , Vegas , Colorado ..didn't win because of their stars.. they won because they were a team.. each guy willing to go to war with the guy beside him.. 

Give me players that want to be here ..that the flaming c and Calgary actually mean something 

I said last year the johnny issue wasn't him deciding whether to leave ..it was him deciding if he wanted to stay. There's a difference .. 

We talk of hanging onto certain guys until tdl..  I say hell no .we don't want a guy that has said he wants out ..you want out, youre gone .. 

Furthermore if you can't decide if you want to stay?  That says the same to me as wanting out .  You're gone .. 

Say what you want ..but guys like Hubie , weegar, mange, Anderson..even Kadri ..have all expressed wanting to be here .. play here ..win here .. those are the guys you build around ..

I'm liking what in seeing in management ... Conroy. Iggy . now Savard .. all can be instrumental in explaining the culture of what it means to be a Calgary flame..

Let's start bringing some Calgarians home .. hall.. point ... Makar (ok that's not happening lol) 

We don't need to scorch earth .we need the right mix of future and players who play now .. build around Hubie and weegaar and Kadri leading the way .. learn the right habits ..  

Conny is smart ..I believe he'll be fine and have a team on the ice in the fall we can be proud of 

The great news is we gave away our first next yr to MTL for a good player with some issues now what do we have a team that has lost 2 or more top players and we will be around top 12 pick next yr ohh and wait it goes to MTL what a deal

1 minute ago, zima said:

The great news is we gave away our first next yr to give MTL a good player with some issues now what do we have a team that has lost 2 or more top players and we will be around to 12 pick next yr ohh and wait it goes to MTL what a deal

If the pick is 12 next year Montreal cannot have it, they can only choose next years pick if it is between 20-32.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I could see Florida coveting Hanifin, seems like he play the style they like. It would make sense for Calgary to target Duclair as part of the return, as they really want to get Huberdeau going.

IMO Florida still has to add a pretty legit piece to this deal to make it work. I would love to get Anton Lundell, but I am not sure that that is something Florid would be willing to do. They just don’t have many other assets.

If it's Hanifin they want, it would have to start with Lundell IMHO.  Duclair would be a nice addition but I don't think he thrives unless we have a speedy/decent C to go with Hubey.  

I'm not as negaitve about our coming season, but it is key that they move forwatd the right way.

I'd be with Jtech on this one. I don't think your getting Lundell for Hanifin. Lundell seemed to break out in the playoffs and the Panthers are really going to need value contracts. 

I think Florida would love to have Hanifin as they really need him but I can't see a good deal there from the Flames angle. 

Not unless they got creativity and maybe tried to work both Hanifin and Toffoli then maybe you get Lundell, but also not sure why Florida does that. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'd be with Jtech on this one. I don't think your getting Lundell for Hanifin. Lundell seemed to break out in the playoffs and the Panthers are really going to need value contracts. 

I think Florida would love to have Hanifin as they really need him but I can't see a good deal there from the Flames angle. 

Not unless they got creativity and maybe tried to work both Hanifin and Toffoli then maybe you get Lundell, but also not sure why Florida does that. 

They’re probably asking Chucky, Benny and Lomberg who they should target. You never know…

1 hour ago, zima said:

We need picks and lots of them we need players that can't leave for at least 6 yrs and please no college kids I know coronato signed here but Coronato think he knew every power forward we have is jumping ship.

Well, that actually works in his favor. Gives him ample opportunity to prove and develop his game at the NHL level.

The same goes for all our younger players. 

We'll see once FA hits .

• Like 1

Take a look at the Blues.

The big trade with the Flyers likely will fall apart.

Largely because the Blues have given some form of NTC. Nine players have some form of trade protection. Hard to shake things up when you do that. 

It’s exactly what the Flames would be looking at if they extended these UFA-to-be’s.

Would rather have the flexibility.

45 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Take a look at the Blues.

The big trade with the Flyers likely will fall apart.

Largely because the Blues have given some form of NTC. Nine players have some form of trade protection. Hard to shake things up when you do that. 

It’s exactly what the Flames would be looking at if they extended these UFA-to-be’s.

Would rather have the flexibility.

Not only that but we should make it a priority to move Huberdeau and Weegar before July 1.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Not only that but we should make it a priority to move Huberdeau and Weegar before July 1.

Conroy should have a pulse where they're at too. If they are worried about the team and not what they signed up for, then trading them wouldn't look like bad optics at that point.

The team can bottom out quite easily, even with Huberdeau/Kadri/Weegar.

Right now, my guess would be the Flames make four deals this summer. Toffoli, Hanifin, Lindholm and Vladar.

Wait on Zadorov, Backlund and Tanev. Need bodies for the season. Trade them at the TDL.

After the deadline the top six would look like

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane''

Dube-X-Coleman

Top Four D

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-X

They'll have to bring back NHL bodies by necessity, but that's a pretty bad top six and top 4. Would be enough for a top 10 pick, then you take your chances in the lottery.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The team can bottom out quite easily, even with Huberdeau/Kadri/Weegar.

Right now, my guess would be the Flames make four deals this summer. Toffoli, Hanifin, Lindholm and Vladar.

Wait on Zadorov, Backlund and Tanev. Need bodies for the season. Trade them at the TDL.

After the deadline the top six would look like

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane''

Dube-X-Coleman

Top Four D

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-X

They'll have to bring back NHL bodies by necessity, but that's a pretty bad top six and top 4. Would be enough for a top 10 pick, then you take your chances in the lottery.

Mostly agree but Weegar could be a difference maker.  But the term on all three will pose a problem down the line like Krug.

By the time the Flames are ready to content again in 4/5 years, there will be 3 anchor contracts holding the team down.  It would be a Krug situation where they are comfy and don't want to move.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Mostly agree but Weegar could be a difference maker.  But the term on all three will pose a problem down the line like Krug.

By the time the Flames are ready to content again in 4/5 years, there will be 3 anchor contracts holding the team down.  It would be a Krug situation where they are comfy and don't want to move.

During the season I don't think you gave Weegar enough credit, now I think its too much.

Problem isn't necessarily Krug, but its that Parayko and Faulk make the same money and are over 3 with NTC's and Leddy and Scandella also make decent coin are over 30 and have NTC's.  In 4 years the D core will be completely different, he could be the only guy in his 30's, it shouldn't be considered a terrible considering the recent champs had 3 in their 30's, and very few champs have none.

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What 3 are they?  Weegar?  Seriously?  $6+M for a top D when the top paid ones will be over 12M?

Hubey may fall off his game about the same time Gaudreau does.

I doubt it's anytime sooner than the end of season 4 (5th as a Flame).

At that time, big deal, you trade him and pay the price, like Monahan.

Or retain half.  Similar to a buyout but half the length of time.

I doubt he blocks the trade, if it's not a bottom feeder.

It will be a pain but if they tool correctly, he's more like a Jordan Staal or Blake Wheeler.

Potential to still hit 80 points.

Saw an interesting take today that I could almost buy into ..almost a best of both worlds scenario..

Supposing we end up having to trade the big 4 (Lindholm, Backs, Toffoli, Hanifin)

Unless you can get a big fish like a Nylander etc.. get those picks and high end prospects ..

Keep your core that you don't have to trade.. but pick up a few of these what they were calling last chance players .  Ones their teams will happily move or are already being talked about being bought out (puuljarvi, mike Hoffman , etc). Players you could get playing well in the right scenario. Cheap one year deals ..  Hoffman especially since Montreal apparently wants to literally give him away and he has history with Huberdeau.. if Puuljarvi doesn't go back to Europe anyway he'd have his last chance to play well ..and on this team with no Toffoli he'd be top line ..  Yamamoto apparently is a buy out candidate 

You might just strike one year gold.. kids get the opportunity to win jobs ..If even one of them pans out everybody wins 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Saw an interesting take today that I could almost buy into ..almost a best of both worlds scenario..

Supposing we end up having to trade the big 4 (Lindholm, Backs, Toffoli, Hanifin)

Unless you can get a big fish like a Nylander etc.. get those picks and high end prospects ..

Keep your core that you don't have to trade.. but pick up a few of these what they were calling last chance players .  Ones their teams will happily move or are already being talked about being bought out (puuljarvi, mike Hoffman , etc). Players you could get playing well in the right scenario. Cheap one year deals ..  Hoffman especially since Montreal apparently wants to literally give him away and he has history with Huberdeau.. if Puuljarvi doesn't go back to Europe anyway he'd have his last chance to play well ..and on this team with no Toffoli he'd be top line ..  Yamamoto apparently is a buy out candidate 

You might just strike one year gold.. kids get the opportunity to win jobs ..If even one of them pans out everybody wins 

I just don't want to see something half way.

I don't want to see Hanifin for Nylander and then we turn around and move Lindholm for picks and prospects.   Either we go win-now or we go rebuild.  We are a halfway team.  A stuck in the middle team.  If we make these kind of "one step forward and one step back" moves then we just stay stuck in the middle.  Wasted year after wasted year.

If Lindholm turns them down IMO there is only 1 option after that.

You deal for picks/prospects. Acquire as many 1st and 2s you can in this draft by putting guys on the block and also weaponize your cap space. Pick up more picks and take on a bad deal or 2 for next 1-2 seasons. 

Same approach at the deadline. Get more picks/prospects. 

Do that for 2-3 years and then re Hash Rate where you are. Maybe they hit a home run or 2 in the this year's draft and then in 2-3 years that player can join the new core. In the meantime play your kids and see what happens. 

I agree, don't try and do this half way. That's been done and it's failed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

You deal for picks/prospects. Acquire as many 1st and 2s you can in this draft by putting guys on the block and also weaponize your cap space. Pick up more picks and take on a bad deal or 2 for next 1-2 seasons. 

Do that for 2-3 years and then re Hash Rate where you are. Maybe they hit a home run or 2 in the this year's draft and then in 2-3 years that player can join the new core. In the meantime play your kids and see what happens. 

I have a feeling Lindholm is saying to Conroy, “Show me we are going to try and win a Cup before I sign.” Meaning who are you bringing in so I will want to play here for the next 7-8 years. We will see what transpires…

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Precisely where I'm at. I'd hate to see Conroy simply carry on with the last GM's plan and all of the GMs before him.

He needs to make it his own, not the same as it's ever been.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I just don't want to see something half way.

I don't want to see Hanifin for Nylander and then we turn around and move Lindholm for picks and prospects.   Either we go win-now or we go rebuild.  We are a halfway team.  A stuck in the middle team.  If we make these kind of "one step forward and one step back" moves then we just stay stuck in the middle.  Wasted year after wasted year.

There's no half way there.  We will have roster holes and many prospects who aren't NHL ready yet..

In the past we stuck cheap PTO players with low upside there ..all I'm saying is stay away from the plugs , don't take on the bad contracts for a body . I'm saying target one year deals on players with high upside . We don't have the current ready prospects to fill the roster as it sits .. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Lindholm not looking like he’ll be moved before draft. 

That's bad news.  If he delays then that delays everyone else down the chain.  I'm sure the Flames could get multiple type of offers for Toffoli and Hanifin.  One type of offers would be win-now and the other would be a rebuild.  Now we have to wait.