GDT Stars @ Flames Sat March 18 8pm Start

DirtyDeeds

The Meloche fascination is weird to me. I'm not sure what anyone sees in him that makes them think they should be trying him out. 

Was signed for depth and likely a small roll of the dice that they could unlock something. They haven't so he's settled into the depth role they signed him for. Didn't stand out in trainging camp and hasn't on the Wranglers either so don't really get why his name keeps popping up. 

If it's simply you want to see someone different then you should be asking for Ilya Solyvov. I also don't really get the complaint as I think Stecher's been solid. 

I agree Stecher has been solid. The pairing with Zadarov has allowed him to see the play at a high level. An example I have seen is when the opposition dumps the puck into our zone Zadarov is more than capable to work the corner himself. You then see Stecher covering the front of the net and he looks for the open man. Watching Anderson and Weegar they both follow the puck and lose net coverage. Also one reason Kylington was successful.

I have no complaints about Stetcher in general. Not a bad piece to have and at 28, not a terrible piece to re-sign as long as he doesn’t take a big raise. 

Without Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Duehr, Stetcher and Stone, the Flames are only showing 1.3 million in cap space next season. That is with 10 (11 if you include Rooney) F, 7 D (including Kylington) and 2 G. Needing to add a couple of forwards, there already is not enough free cap.

The only players without movement clauses who would save much space are Mangiapane, Lindholm, Toffoli, Andersson, Zadorov, or Weegar. Dube would also give a little space, but not much. So unless they can trade Huberdeau, Backlund, Hanifin or Tanev to a team they are ok with, there is little chance of anything big really happening.

Basically there just isn’t room for Stetcher moving forward without a big splash.

8 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I have no complaints about Stetcher in general. Not a bad piece to have and at 28, not a terrible piece to re-sign as long as he doesn’t take a big raise. 

Without Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Duehr, Stetcher and Stone, the Flames are only showing 1.3 million in cap space next season. That is with 10 (11 if you include Rooney) F, 7 D (including Kylington) and 2 G. Needing to add a couple of forwards, there already is not enough free cap.

The only players without movement clauses who would save much space are Mangiapane, Lindholm, Toffoli, Andersson, Zadorov, or Weegar. Dube would also give a little space, but not much. So unless they can trade Huberdeau, Backlund, Hanifin or Tanev to a team they are ok with, there is little chance of anything big really happening.

Basically there just isn’t room for Stetcher moving forward without a big splash.

the team needs the kids to step up. Trade a big contract away, and have a few prospects take spots. Live with their mistakes!

Whether or not the Flames need to move a contract likely comes down to Kylington. If he doesn't play again then the Flames likely wont' NEED to move a contract. 

Bettman has already said there is a possibility for the cap to go up a bit more and traditionally the PA does take the multiplier. So factoring in Kylington on LTIR the Flames could be looking at 4-5 mill in cap space. 

If he comes back then yes they will need to move a salary of likely at least 3 million.