GDT Stars @ Flames Sat March 18 8pm Start

DirtyDeeds

Already looking like your typical Flames game after a big win. They love laying a steamy hot turd in bed after any significant win. This team is done folks, they can try and push for the playoff spot but we know they don’t deserve a spot. Back to win 1 , lose 1….

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

Already looking like your typical Flames game after a big win. They love laying a steamy hot turd in bed after any significant win. This team is done folks, they can try and push for the playoff spot but we know they don’t deserve a spot. Back to win 1 , lose 1….

I do think that there is a critical mass for Markstrom.  9th in a row is too much to expect.

Ruzicka (or Lewis) blew the coverage on that 4 on 1.  Somebody has to cover when your D skates in deep.

It didn't result in a goal but Ruzie will pay the price.

On a side note, I would prefer to trade Backlund and sign Domi.

Not that Domi is better, just that he is much cheaper (if he has few takers).

We have to clear salary.  Backlund has to be worth something good.

Get younger, get cheaper.

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I still don't understand why this club neve shows up when they have to... Its so sad how nobody plays with any urgency on this team.

They haven’t shown up all year , no point holding our breathes and expecting anything else at this point. This is a team in the hunt for a playoff spot?? 🤣 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

They haven’t shown up all year , no point holding our breathes and expecting anything else at this point. This is a team in the hunt for a playoff spot?? 🤣 

They have shown up for almost every game this year, just not for 3 periods.

We play a game that you have to be perfect.

When we have stretches where we have a bad shift or couple, it's in the net.

The recent wins we have had may not exactly be our game hitting stride as much as a bad goalie.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I do think that there is a critical mass for Markstrom.  9th in a row is too much to expect.

Ruzicka (or Lewis) blew the coverage on that 4 on 1.  Somebody has to cover when your D skates in deep.

It didn't result in a goal but Ruzie will pay the price.

On a side note, I would prefer to trade Backlund and sign Domi.

Not that Domi is better, just that he is much cheaper (if he has few takers).

We have to clear salary.  Backlund has to be worth something good.

Get younger, get cheaper.

Backs is still one of our best defensive forwards, Domi would be a higher liability out there for sure. I’m not even a big Backs fan but he’s easily one of top 2 way players behind Lindholm. This team isn’t a Max Domi away from being competitive….we’d need a lot more than just him to fix this mess

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have shown up for almost every game this year, just not for 3 periods.

We play a game that you have to be perfect.

When we have stretches where we have a bad shift or couple, it's in the net.

The recent wins we have had may not exactly be our game hitting stride as much as a bad goalie.

Only thing consistent about the Flames this year has been outshooting opponents and taking the loss. It’s pretty much been out MO this season, it’s bad luck , it’s an inability to play 60 mins or get timely saves or goals. If we HAVE to play a perfect game to get a win, we have zero room for error. For a team so snake bitten and with poor goaltending for 75% of the season that’s a recipe for disaster, we need to be damn near better than perfect to win games. 

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

Backs is still one of our best defensive forwards, Domi would be a higher liability out there for sure. I’m not even a big Backs fan but he’s easily one of top 2 way players behind Lindholm. This team isn’t a Max Domi away from being competitive….we’d need a lot more than just him to fix this mess

Cheaper is the point.  We have one season left of him at this cost.

I don't expect his next deal to be long term, but it's not going to be $3M; he's done everything asked.

Stop expecting him to defy the aging process and sell the asset while it's worth something.

Have we not learned from Iggy, Gio, etc.?

Just now, rickross said:

Only thing consistent about the Flames this year has been outshooting opponents and taking the loss. It’s pretty much been out MO this season, it’s bad luck , it’s an inability to play 60 mins or get timely saves or goals. If we HAVE to play a perfect game to get a win, we have zero room for error. For a team so snake bitten and with poor goaltending for 75% of the season that’s a recipe for disaster, we need to be damn near better than perfect to win games. 

I think I remeber a stat saying that we were one of highest (if not the highest) first period scoring teams.

That suggest that we tail off (2nd one of the worst for us), have shaky goaltending, or shut it down.

We have started games where Marky let in a goal in the first 5 minutes or less a ton of games.

Or where we get goals and immediately give up one.

We play the best when we have put the foot to the floor.

The tendency is when we get a lead, we shut it down.

Vegas was not one of those games, nor FLA.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Cheaper is the point.  We have one season left of him at this cost.

I don't expect his next deal to be long term, but it's not going to be $3M; he's done everything asked.

Stop expecting him to defy the aging process and sell the asset while it's worth something.

Have we not learned from Iggy, Gio, etc.?

I wanted to trade Backs prior to him signing his extension, he had peak value then but Centres aren’t cheap and he checked off a lot of boxes. I guess a comparable could be RNH contract extension he just signed with the Coilers.  We’ve seen Backs peak already, you’re right…he’s not going to defy age anytime soon. It will be tricky replacing his value for a cheaper price …so we’re stuck with him. I believe he retires a Flame 😩 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think I remeber a stat saying that we were one of highest (if not the highest) first period scoring teams.

That suggest that we tail off (2nd one of the worst for us), have shaky goaltending, or shut it down.

We have started games where Marky let in a goal in the first 5 minutes or less a ton of games.

Or where we get goals and immediately give up one.

We play the best when we have put the foot to the floor.

The tendency is when we get a lead, we shut it down.

Vegas was not one of those games, nor FLA.

Exactly, this team doesn’t have the skill, execution nor the will to find different ways to win games. Once they lose momentum, they end up chasing the game the rest of night. No resilience in the team this year, they play hard but don’t know how to respond when things aren’t going their way. I guess having a #1 line in the NHL masked a lot of that last season. 

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

I wanted to trade Backs prior to him signing his extension, he had peak value then but Centres aren’t cheap and he checked off a lot of boxes. I guess a comparable could be RNH contract extension he just signed with the Coilers.  We’ve seen Backs peak already, you’re right…he’s not going to defy age anytime soon. It will be tricky replacing his value for a cheaper price …so we’re stuck with him. I believe he retires a Flame 😩 

He's a 3C on this team.  If you can't replace a 3C on any team cheaply, then you aren't doing it right.

Had we spent the (useless) year getting Dube or Ruzicka up to speed, then we would be closer to that.

He's a luxury for this team, but unfortunately, he's the 2nd best C right now.