2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Do you people not have jobs?lol

I had a fun draft party last night. Especially with a couple of Leafs fans due to we're all terribly familiar with the Knights. That one was insane. Feel bad for BT and we were laughing that he passed the announcemement to their scouting chief, whom we'd all fire.

We did okay, but just okay imo.

Honzek - yup

Morin - nope. I don't subscribe to "O dmen can learn D." How's Poirier's D? I don't like our philosophy regarding D.

Suniev - yup, but I'd have taken Perron, small but huge skills.

Lipinski - very lukewarm with Allen, Minnetian and Wikman on the board and needing D.

Yegorov - take a swing at a goalie, but maybe take Uronen before that.

Hurtig - yup. Good pick at 7. Only Aiden Fink went lower.

In my redo:

Honzek or Musty,lol

Sawchyn because D depth still looking decent.

McCarthy

Minnetian

Yegorov because always get a goalie late

Hurtig is a good swing in the 7th.

Just personally, I would have adjusted from taking a dman in the 2nd, seeing the board. Personal opinion.

The plus side of a time difference is im usually not working when things I want to see in the hockey world are happening.

The negative side is they happen in the middle of the night/ungodly hours of the morning so I'm always tired for work the next day 😴 😪 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

one thing we've been complaint about is:

size. There is a need for size in the system.

speed. Speed has killed us

skill. High end skill. 

iq. Need to have high hockey iq. 

compete. Need players who are competitive.

are there any other arguments we've had?

how do the picks address these needs? 

I'd dispute the competitive and IQ part. I think generally speaking these 2 are at the core of the Flames draft philosophy really since Feaster. I think what has varied between GMs and draft classes is the mix of size, speed and skill. 

I think this draft focused a bit more of size without sacrificing much in skill. Their last pick is basically all size and no skill and their 2nd round is high skill, low size but the rest are pretty good blends actually. I don't think they added a ton of speed to the pool but I would also say it's almost impossible to get everything. 

I think conundrumed put this well in that each time the Flames picked there was a higher looking celling player on the board but they tended to be a bit smaller. I think ideally you would have wanted them to add a  D or 2 in the middle rounds. I think those are the 2 things we'll want to watch with this class. 

But overall I think the positives are they added some size without sacrificing too much in skill. That to me is the biggest take away. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't mind the move in philosophy to size.  Like RHS, if you don't reach for size then you won't have any.  There is always a small LHS LW as BPA available.

If you can get over the handedness, this wasn't a bad draft.

We got a high scoring D.  Poirier is quickly overcoming his D faults.

Honzek could be a steal, but even topping as a 2W is good.

Some of the other are interesting and the development could be key.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't mind the move in philosophy to size.  Like RHS, if you don't reach for size then you won't have any.  There is always a small LHS LW as BPA available.

I haven't forgotten Chris Dingman lol.

To be honest though, there just wasn't anyone to draft in that draft.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1994e.html

After a few of these and then the Sutter years, we were right to go easy on the size.  

You don't ever want just size.  that's a complete waste.   It looks like we got a good balance this time.   

In the first round, ideally you get it all. Size. Skill.   I think we did?

In later rounds, if you have to choose between the two I think you go with skill.   so maybe only one or two picks that raised my eyebrows but they were later on.

31 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

After a few of these and then the Sutter years, we were right to go easy on the size.  

You don't ever want just size.  that's a complete waste.   It looks like we got a good balance this time.   

In later rounds, if you have to choose between the two I think you go with skill.   so maybe only one or two picks that raised my eyebrows but they were later on.

Agreed. Putting too much emphasis on size is how you end up with a 6'7" plug like Hunter Smith in the second round.

Overall I like what we did.. u don't often see high praise scouting reports on players that deep ..

I see  a definite preference for size speed and skill.. 

Not surprised there were so few trades ..in hindsight.. this was so deep teams wanted these players .. and even if you liked s guy that may be gone by your pick you still had what they saw as just as good a pick coming to your spot ..

Apparently the closest we came to a splash was Montreal at 5.. apparently Reinbacher was their guy .if he had been gone by 5 they'd have likely taken one of the trade down offers 

I'm not sure if the focus on size is a change in philosophy or just a byproduct of this draft. 

Lots was unique about this draft but the ability to get size/skill later on in the draft is pretty up there. In a normal draft once you get to the end of round 1 your size/skill combo is pretty much done (without some other red flag). This draft you had players going in round 3 that had borderline 1st round profiles. 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Stanley Cup champion Chris Dingman.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya no, I mean.  I'm totally okay if we reach "a bit" for size.  And reach "a bit" for RHS.  Just don't go way off the board.

totals. or factor it into the calc etc.  Basically, for them to draft a LW in round 1 means they must have Really, really liked him.  Like first-line power forward liked.

And, from the angle that he's a lost top-10 pick who they feel will recover his form....they'd be right.  We will see :)

I don't mind taking risks.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

totals. or factor it into the calc etc.  Basically, for them to draft a LW in round 1 means they must have Really, really liked him.  Like first-line power forward liked.

And, from the angle that he's a lost top-10 pick who they feel will recover his form....they'd be right.  We will see :)

I don't mind taking risks.

Exactly.  Just don't go way off the board and pick a 34th ranked player at 16 just because of size.  Do it within reason.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Exactly.  Just don't go way off the board and pick a 34th ranked player at 16 just because of size.  Do it within reason.

But if you're absolutely sure about going off the board, make sure they're ranked somewhere in the third round and that they're watching from the rafters.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/2023-nhl-draft-final-grades-for-all-32-teams-210834844.html

I thought they were a bit harsh, on the Flames, but I get it.   I do suspect they have an in on Honzek.

They let Treliving off easy though lol

Treliving would have had very little input. But could have at least said, "What in the, and I mean this in the most gentlemanly fashion, Blockchain have you guys been doing all year?".

Yahoo's scores are odd. If you didn't have many picks, you get a low score. That has nothing to do with how they drafted.

The A rankings seem accurate though.

So the Hronek to Van trade is complete.

Hronek for Sandin-Pellikka and Brady Cleveland. So Hronek for a chance at a better Hronek and a bone crunching stay-at-home D prospect. Likely a Detroit win.

Is Yamamoto's career over? I'm not sure that he can make the Wings roster. He's really just a prospect now behind Perron, Raymond, JBurgers, Kubalik, Luff, Czarnik, Kostin...can't really see a role.

Kostin's "I'm going to the KHL" just ended abruptly. Only if Yzerman tells you to.

Easy trade for the D leveraging cap and I have no doubt they're squeezing the Sens on DeBrincat with comments like, "we're not even close" on a trade.

Sure piled on the prospects again. Yzerman love his big Dmen. Augustine's a sweet G add. I thought Kevin Bicker fell off the face of the earth so I love that big swing on an 0 and 2 count.

I don't know who could have a better prospect pool at this point.

Columbus I think had the best draft for what they had. Chicago had a lot of bullets so they obviously did well. SJ had a great draft. MTL was a giant wtf? ARI, Simashev looked shocked.lol I was too, and But at 12. Those are solid picks, stretched or not. They had a good draft in their Barney outfits.

Finally, the worst part of the draft was the analysts. All cringe, all the time. Fletcher and McDavid must have the same personality coach.

Don't let them follow lists. Simashev goes 6th, the 1st thing we hear is, "what are they doing, why didn't they trade down, they could have gotten him mid to late 20's". Maybe try celebrating for the players, idiots. Rather than reacting to your list that nobody cares about and nobody's paying you for. Yet there you are, influencing opinions rather than having a real hockey job. Nice job ruining the player's video memory for his future kids. Blockchaining dummies. Maybe it's just me.lol

Simashev now has even more in common with Seider, whom I compare him to. Good luck with those one-on-one's forwards, you're gonna need it..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Don't let them follow lists. Simashev goes 6th, the 1st thing we hear is, "what are they doing, why didn't they trade down, they could have gotten him mid to late 20's". Maybe try celebrating for the players, idiots. Rather than reacting to your list that nobody cares about and nobody's paying you for. Yet there you are, influencing opinions rather than having a real hockey job. Nice job ruining the player's video memory for his future kids. Blockchaining dummies. Maybe it's just me.lol

Nope I feel the same way, let the judging come in a few years the day is about the players and their families.  It's just funny every year there are kids they hype up that fail and guys so down on lists who excel.  Who are these guys who make the lists, were they as good as Simashev at 18?  Why aren't they in team management if they are "draft experts"?  All they need to do, give a background on the player, some strength's, weaknesses, timeline to make the NHL.  And STFU about reaching or trading back, or who's better, let the play decide that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Treliving would have had very little input. But could have at least said, "What in the, and I mean this in the most gentlemanly fashion, Blockchain have you guys been doing all year?".

Toronto fans will be relieved to know it wasn't Treliving's fault!    lol.    The incredibly aweful signing he did 2 days ago was probably the owners too.. 

I am sorry lol I have a bit of bad blood ever since the 5 player trade so to Me, this feels like things coming full circle and they are Just getting started 😅

Yahoo's scores are odd. If you didn't have many picks, you get a low score. That has nothing to do with how they drafted.

Yahoo is odd.  I was looking for a more reputable ranking but couldn't find one.  

I mean, if you trade away all your picks you shouldn't rank well imho.   And teams with lots of picks Usually (not always) know what they're doing.   

But yeah it is odd.

The A rankings seem accurate though.

yup

So the Hronek to Van trade is complete.

Hronek for Sandin-Pellikka and Brady Cleveland. So Hronek for a chance at a better Hronek and a bone crunching stay-at-home D prospect. Likely a Detroit win.

Sure looks that way.  I give it about 70% likelihood Detroit wins that big time.  Detroit just always seems nail this stuff.   They gonna be a serious contender soon.

Is Yamamoto's career over? I'm not sure that he can make the Wings roster. He's really just a prospect now behind Perron, Raymond, JBurgers, Kubalik, Luff, Czarnik, Kostin...can't really see a role.

Kostin's "I'm going to the KHL" just ended abruptly. Only if Yzerman tells you to.

Easy trade for the D leveraging cap and I have no doubt they're squeezing the Sens on DeBrincat with comments like, "we're not even close" on a trade.

Sure piled on the prospects again. Yzerman love his big Dmen. Augustine's a sweet G add. I thought Kevin Bicker fell off the face of the earth so I love that big swing on an 0 and 2 count.

All smart moves on Yzerman's part.   I don't quite understand our G acquisition.  Stats-wise it's way, way off the board.   But I am glad we picked up a G.  Should pick up at least one ever draft.

Conroy didn't have as much time obviously but I was very glad we picked up that 3rd rounder.  this is the work of smart GMs.  So in that sense, I do think teams who have more picks at the draft should...potentially...get higher rankings.  No 3rd would have really sucked.

I thought they were a bit hard on Conroy, time will tell.   They obviously used Honzek's lower ranking in their decision but that may be a falsity.  We will know soon imho.

I don't know who could have a better prospect pool at this point.

Columbus I think had the best draft for what they had. Chicago had a lot of bullets so they obviously did well. SJ had a great draft. MTL was a giant wtf? ARI, Simashev looked shocked.lol I was too, and But at 12. Those are solid picks, stretched or not. They had a good draft in their Barney outfits.

Finally, the worst part of the draft was the analysts. All cringe, all the time. Fletcher and McDavid must have the same personality coach.

I was their personality coach.

Simashev now has even more in common with Seider, whom I compare him to. Good luck with those one-on-one's forwards, you're gonna need it..

It's just you lol.  Simashev doesn't care, his kids don't care.   I like Simashev but it was a weird move

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

From what I have heard, DET is buying out Yammer.  Kostin wants a bit higher than 4th line, so that may happen.  Sometime.  Qualify him to keep his rights.  Worry about the contract when the summer trades etc are done.  I can't see Czarnik getting a spot and Klim not. 

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

From what I have heard, DET is buying out Yammer.  Kostin wants a bit higher than 4th line, so that may happen.  Sometime.  Qualify him to keep his rights.  Worry about the contract when the summer trades etc are done.  I can't see Czarnik getting a spot and Klim not. 

So they basically paid <$1mil for the rights to Kostin. I had no idea why they got Yamamoto. The buyout is only $970,000ish over 2 years, so better than $3.1 I guess. They didn't qualify Kostin, but rumour is they're very close on a 2yr deal and Omsk has stopped pursuing him.

So I assume it was taking a minor cap dump to acquire Kostin. End result is up to Kostin. He's only 24. I thought he looked decent for Edmonton but, like St. Louis, couldn't find a role above 4th line.

And of course the, Klim Kostin is the best 24yo in the game today cheerleading. I expect 30g and 70pts at a bare minimum. Anything else won't be worth $2.5 or whatever the number is.lol

I wonder who will sign Yamamoto? I was joking about his career being over. I hope this gives him a fresh start somewhere that doesn't have a gigantic magnifying glass of terror if you're not a superstar.

Edmonton now has $7mil in cap space for Bouchard. But Ken Holland with FA frenzy about to start should strike fear in their fans' black hearts.lol

Let the sideshow begin.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So they basically paid <$1mil for the rights to Kostin. I had no idea why they got Yamamoto. The buyout is only $970,000ish over 2 years, so better than $3.1 I guess. They didn't qualify Kostin, but rumour is they're very close on a 2yr deal and Omsk has stopped pursuing him.

So I assume it was taking a minor cap dump to acquire Kostin. End result is up to Kostin. He's only 24. I thought he looked decent for Edmonton but, like St. Louis, couldn't find a role above 4th line.

And of course the, Klim Kostin is the best 24yo in the game today cheerleading. I expect 30g and 70pts at a bare minimum. Anything else won't be worth $2.5 or whatever the number is.lol

I wonder who will sign Yamamoto? I was joking about his career being over. I hope this gives him a fresh start somewhere that doesn't have a gigantic magnifying glass of terror if you're not a superstar.

Edmonton now has $7mil in cap space for Bouchard. But Ken Holland with FA frenzy about to start should strike fear in their fans' black hearts.lol

Let the sideshow begin.

Well he also has to sign McLeod who took a bare minimum deal last year so they could win the cup.  And they also kinda need to sign another 4F. $7.1M to do all that.  

I have heard of some suggesting we sign Yammo.  I have enough problem with Mangiapane getting knocked down every shift, plus Pelletier not being as strong on the puck as some.  I'll give the pass to Pelletier right now.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well he also has to sign McLeod who took a bare minimum deal last year so they could win the cup.  And they also kinda need to sign another 4F. $7.1M to do all that.  

I have heard of some suggesting we sign Yammo.  I have enough problem with Mangiapane getting knocked down every shift, plus Pelletier not being as strong on the puck as some.  I'll give the pass to Pelletier right now.  

4 of that 7m likely ticketed to Bouchard on a bridge as well.

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

4 of that 7m likely ticketed to Bouchard on a bridge as well.

But, hey Dreger has Brown linked to signing there.  Get their hopes up.  Maybe, but who can they trade that would even begin to offset the deal and make room for the other players needed?