2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Heidt and Cristall will be incredible value picks as 2nd rounders. Wouldn't recommend passing on either, if given the chance.

All things being equal tomorrow, it's time to start filling the defensive cupboard. It's so thin. You could argue that a former 7th round pick is their 2nd best D prospect. Would love to see them take two or three shots on defenders tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Heidt and Cristall will be incredible value picks as 2nd rounders. Wouldn't recommend passing on either, if given the chance.

All things being equal tomorrow, it's time to start filling the defensive cupboard. It's so thin. You could argue that a former 7th round pick is their 2nd best D prospect. Would love to see them take two or three shots on defenders tomorrow.

No argument. it goes Poirier, Solovyov, Kuznetsov as the only prospects under contract and 1 college player who probably needs a big senior year to get a contract.  It's pretty gross the defensive depth in the system, they really need a good couple of drafts with more than 7 picks to make up for the disasters of the 3 pick 2022 and the poor 2021 class

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sak22 said:

No argument. it goes Poirier, Solovyov, Kuznetsov as the only prospects under contract and 1 college player who probably needs a big senior year to get a contract.  It's pretty gross the defensive depth in the system, they really need a good couple of drafts with more than 7 picks to make up for the disasters of the 3 pick 2022 and the poor 2021 class

We are missing like three RHS RD.  Hope we draft one tomorrow.

When I watch Honzek’s highlights, his open ice speed seems pretty good for a big guy, but I also like his touch around the net. He has good hands in tight.

He is 6’4” 186lbs, and he looks like he has lots of room to grow, he probably will settle in around 210lbs. 

My adjusted list for rd 2.

Bolded = RD wants

Italicized = Fwd wants

* = swinging for the fences

33. Andrew Cristall W/L

34. Gavin Brindley C/R

35. Riley Heidt C/L

36. Ethan Gauthier W/R

37. Lukas Dragicevic D/R

38. Jayden Perron W/R

39. Kasper Halttunen W/R

40. William Whitelaw C/R

41. Koehn Ziemmer W/R

42. Gracyn Sawchyn C/R

43. Michael Hrabel G/L

44. Caden Price D/L

45. Oskar Fiskar-Molgaard C/L

46. Cam Allen D/R

47. Maxim Strbak D/R

48. *Nick Lardis W/L

49. Noah Dower Nilsson C/L

50. Trey Augustine G/L

51. Carson Bjarnason G/L

52. Etienne Morin D/L

53. Luca Cagnoni D/L

54. Hunter Brzustewicz D/L

55. Danny Nelson C/L

56. *Alex Ciernic W/L

57. Anton Wahlberg C/L

58. Beau Akey D/R

59. Kalan Lind W/L

60. *Roman Kantserov W/L

61. Luca Pinelli C/L

I'll try to arrange my next block past 80, but now it's already very fickle.

I should apply to TML scouting. I feel bad for Cowan because the fans are going to rightfully rake that pick. Source: I've seen him live about 10 times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I'll try to arrange my next block past 80, but now it's already very fickle.

I should apply to TML scouting. I feel bad for Cowan because the fans are going to rightfully rake that pick. Source: I've seen him live about 10 times.

Maybe the scouts don't like to travel.  Oh, just a drive through Ontairo?  Okay.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, I heard that Honzek is not really a C, but a winger.

Hope he learns all positions.

Nothing wrong with a big winger and I would argue we have little size on the wing currently.

Seeing as he is good along the boards, he may be a good fit.

Winger, true. Also, Wings were torn between Danielson and Honzek. RHC won, would've taken Honzek at 17.

Future D alignment:

Walman-Seider

Edvinsson-Pellikka

Wallinder-Johansson

Now that's what a rebuild D core is supposed to look like!!

Looking at the first round selections, not one Canadian team selected an American. It could just be a coincidence of who was available, but I wonder how much of that has to do with what has happened to the Flames?

It makes me wonder if that contributed to the Flames not taking guys like Moore or Perrault.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FueltheFlames75 said:

Looking at the first round selections, not one Canadian team selected an American. It could just be a coincidence of who was available, but I wonder how much of that has to do with what has happened to the Flames?

It makes me wonder if that contributed to the Flames not taking guys like Moore or Perrault.

Moore and Stramel are committed to the NCAA, so we may have wanted to get involved with one not tied to university.  There is some risk there no doubt.  Perreault is going to Boston College.  

Musty might have been seen to be riskier.  Ritchie had a shoulder injury, so maybe shades of Bennett?

I don't think we did poorly at all.  I think there were some players we may have targeted for other reasons, but obviously the guy we picked was top on our list.  Defeinitely scouted heavily by Flames.  I would hope they look at more Euros in the coming rounds.  US players as well.

Some players I'd like at 80 & 112. Not sure where they'll be taken, but here's my rough, not in order:

D

Andrew Strathman

Arttu Karki

Jacob Dvorak

Quinton Burns

Andrew Gibson

Gavin McCarthy

Tristan Bertucci

Matt Mania

Albert Wikman

F

Halttunen

Whitelaw

Sawchyn

Lardis

Nelson

Wahlberg

Kantserov

Leni Hameenaho

Jesse Kiiskinin

Mathieu Cataford

Carson Rehkopf

Martin Misiak

Felix Nilsson

G

Hrabel

Gajan

Fowler

I'm interested to see if we try to move up or get additional 2nd round picks.  DET cornered the market on 2nds, and they will just pick 3 in a row, getting a good selection of player types.  Maybe we can swing a deal for Hanifin with his buddy's team CBJ.  Add to the return obviously.  Maybe Boqvist?  Might be dreaming but They will have lots of help on offense, just need a solid D.  LOL

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I like the Honzek pick. Solid. Him and Danielson are very similar.

I’m digesting the pick was very PO’ed Det took Danielson but the more I learn of Honzek 100% agree he’s a bit bigger Than Danielson maybe a bit More physical too but otherwise every bit as good maybe even better.

If not for the Injury he would have easily been projected and taken to 10 so Conroy and Co. Did an amazing job…i

like all the chatter about this kids drive and determination that’s definitely a huge plus we need that, we clearly missed that since Tachuck was traded so it’s an intangible need big time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Moore and Stramel are committed to the NCAA, so we may have wanted to get involved with one not tied to university.  There is some risk there no doubt.  Perreault is going to Boston College.  

Musty might have been seen to be riskier.  Ritchie had a shoulder injury, so maybe shades of Bennett?

I don't think we did poorly at all.  I think there were some players we may have targeted for other reasons, but obviously the guy we picked was top on our list.  Defeinitely scouted heavily by Flames.  I would hope they look at more Euros in the coming rounds.  US players as well.

I have to disagree with only 1 part of this…hell to the NO on USA players too many have been leaving, Canadian and yes ok euro players but NO more USA for a while

lets wait and see if Coronato and Wolf has some stick (aka willing to stay) before we do the USA thing agin…

fool me once Gaudreau

Fool me twice Tachuck 

fool me 3X Hanifin 

thats 3 strikes in just 1 year, so USA players are a no go for For me for a while 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’m digesting the pick was very PO’ed Det took Danielson but the more I learn of Honzek 100% agree he’s a bit bigger Than Danielson maybe a bit More physical too but otherwise every bit as good maybe even better.

If not for the Injury he would have easily been projected and taken to 10 so Conroy and Co. Did an amazing job…i

like all the chatter about this kids drive and determination that’s definitely a huge plus we need that, we clearly missed that since Tachuck was traded so it’s an intangible need big time

He wasn't on my list and I was really hoping for a D, which was available to us.   

However, I also wanted high skill and high upside and some risk staking.   We may have gotten just that in Honzek.

Definitely all depends on what the Flames know that we don't around his injury.   Offseasons are great for recovery, we could find out very soon.

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I have to disagree with only 1 part of this…hell to the NO on USA players too many have been leaving, Canadian and yes ok euro players but NO more USA for a while

lets wait and see if Coronato and Wolf has some stick (aka willing to stay) before we do the USA thing agin…

fool me once Gaudreau

Fool me twice Tachuck 

fool me 3X Hanifin 

thats 3 strikes in just 1 year, so USA players are a no go for For me for a while 

Well some of the blame for those players leaving has to go to the GM that didn't manage to go max term.  Hanifn, Gaudreau and Tkachuk all went with shorter term deals.  I blame the GM for this, but not directly to the individual player deals as much as keeping other crap on salary or spending too much on UFA's that resulted in the cap situation.  Also the artificial Gio cap.

6 years for both JH and Hanifin, when they appeared to be long term and were young enough that a 8 year deal would end while they were still usable.  Tkachuk with 3 years when we knew exactly what he was.  

So, you can't blame those Amerks for bailing.  They put in the time they were given.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He wasn't on my list and I was really hoping for a D, which was available to us.   

However, I also wanted high skill and high upside and some risk staking.   We may have gotten just that in Honzek.

Definitely all depends on what the Flames know that we don't around his injury.   Offseasons are great for recovery, we could find out very soon.

I have no issues with the pick.  I would have been more upset with just taking antother Canadian kid from the WHL.  I'm sure we will like whathe is in the coming years.  Ruzicka was impressive and he wasn't this skilled or committed.