2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bubble hasn't burst because Huberdeau's NMC doesn't kick in until July 1st.  He's still on his previous contract so we have less than one month to trade him.  To gamble that he will give us $10-mil production is too rich for me.  It should be too rich for all of us.

So your telling us move Huber for what the way he played last yr we won't get bupkus for him so we just gave away MrT for weeger and a prospect who won't make the NHL correct? 

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

PLD is now at whining about the only 2 teams he's been on. Are you sure you wanna be the third? Hard to cheer for a guy like that. I'd trade him to Arizona for a bag of pucks and unleash publicly about his antics personally.

That's the bed he wants to lie on, feed it to him. Tell everyone  "This guy is a great big Blockchaining homesick drag. Buyer be very aware".

He'll prolly sign $7 x 8 when he hits MTL. Yeah. Something about league parity and this douche-ey ness doesn't jibe.

Anyone else pays $11 per and he'll still be the paintywaif.

Blockchain PLD. Who needs that Satoshi Nakamoto?

And to think, he was supposed to go to Edmonton. Instead, landed in Columbus, but wasn't like, "Wow."

Love.

• Haha 1

Just now, zima said:

So your telling us move Huber for what the way he played last yr we won't get bupkus for him so we just gave away MrT for weeger and a prospect who won't make the NHL correct? 

MTL might give us 5oa if we give them Huberdeau + another French Canadian Pelletier.  5oa is not giving Hubderdeau away.  Very good value for Hubderdeau at this point.  And to avoid retaining salary, give them Pelletier.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

MTL might give us 5oa if we give them Huberdeau + another French Canadian Pelletier.  5oa is not giving Hubderdeau away.  Very good value for Hubderdeau at this point.  And to avoid retaining salary, give them Pelletier.

Dop you really thjink the 5th is worth that much perhaps we should take monny back and keep the draft pick lol

55 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

PLD is now at whining about the only 2 teams he's been on. Are you sure you wanna be the third? Hard to cheer for a guy like that. I'd trade him to Arizona for a bag of pucks and unleash publicly about his antics personally.

That's the bed he wants to lie on, feed it to him. Tell everyone  "This guy is a great big Blockchaining homesick drag. Buyer be very aware".

He'll prolly sign $7 x 8 when he hits MTL. Yeah. Something about league parity and this douche-ey ness doesn't jibe.

Anyone else pays $11 per and he'll still be the paintywaif.

Blockchain PLD. Who needs that Satoshi Nakamoto?

Ya if I was MTL, then just wait 1 year for PLD to turn UFA.  But MTL might prefer Huberdeau right away.  Habs could have both of them in two years time.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Thank you.  We need to cut cap hardcore and there's no better place to start than Huberdeau before his new contract kicks in.

His contract is very scary I wonder if MTL would expect use to carry some of the contract

12 minutes ago, zima said:

I just noticed we lost rubins another lost pick thats going to the Sens we sure waste alot of picks for nothing

That was a future considerations trade made after the trade deadline to bolster the Wranglers depth. 

It is highly unlikely there is a pick involved in that one. 

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Who are the top DO NOT DRAFT players in our range?  Should we absolutely avoid Cristall and Yager for example?

I think I already asked this earlier.

For me, I wouldn’t be thrilled with Honzek. Sale maybe too. But that’s just me.

If they take Cristall it’s a home run swing. You’re not getting a bottom six player if he makes it.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Danielson has been a popular mock to the Flames.

I think he’s long gone by 16. Big RHS C, high character. If he went inside the top 10 it wouldn’t really surprise me. I think VAN is the likely destination though.

Long gone is a stretch and a half. Top 12 would shock me. That's a giant leap of faith imho.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Who are the top DO NOT DRAFT players in our range?  Should we absolutely avoid Cristall and Yager for example?

I think I already asked this earlier.

Why Yager?

The all or nothing thing?

The kid can shoot.  I think if he's bpa you take him.   

An extreme example:  Should the Flames have drafted the highly flawed Brett Hull?   I think yes.  And I don't think they would win the cup without Ramage.   Which means they may not have won the cup had they not drafted Hull.  And I do NOT like Hull.

I realize this situation is a little different because it's a first rounder we're talking about and not a 6th rounder.   Still though, I think you need to accept some risk in order to win at the draft.

For me, the  DO NOT DRAFT players are actually the "safe" players.  the players with low probability of stardom but high probability of an NHL transition.   This imho is not a good use of a 1st rounder because a 1st rounder is a team's best chance of getting a core impact player on an ELC.   If they can't be that, it's imho not a good use of the pick.

Who those players are, I''ll refrain from guessing right now (quietly mulling in the back of my head if that's Ritchie. Destined to make the NHL with 90% certainty.  In a support role).

My mock

1. Chicago- Connor Bedard

2. Anaheim- Adam Fantilli 

3. Columbus- Leo Carlsson

4. San Jose- Will Smith

5. Montreal- Matvei Michkov

6. Arizona- David Reinbacher

7. Philadelphia- Ryan Leonard

8. Washington- Dalibor Dvorsky

9. Detroit- Axel Sandin Pellikka 

10. St. Louis- Matthew Wood

11. Vancouver- Nate Danielson

12. Arizona- Zach Benson

13. Buffalo- Tom Willander

14. Pittsburgh- Gabe Perrault

15. Nashville- Oliver Moore

16. Calgary- Colby Barlow

17. Detroit- Samuel Honzek

18. Winnipeg- Dmitri Simashev

19. Chicago- Andrew Cristall

20. Seattle- Brayden Yager

21. Minnesota- Mikhaill Gulyayev

22. Philadelphia- Quentin Musty

23. New York- Eduard Sale

24. Nashville- Lukas Dragicevic

25. St. Louis- Otto Stenberg

26. San Jose- Riley Heidt

27. Colorado- Danil But

28. Toronto- Calum Ritchie

29. St. Louis- Oliver Bonk

30. Carolina- Bradly Nadeau

31. Montreal- Theo Lindstein

32. Vegas- Gracyn Sawchyn

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:
  1. Calgary- Colby Barlow

I've seen Barlow fall to the Flames in many mock drafts.  He looks like a solid player... "for sure NHLer".  I just... another LW... do we really?  I mean considering Huberdeau is a forever Flames from July 1st onwards and we've still got a young Dube/Mangiapane/Pelletier.  That even leaves out Ruzicka who is a better LW than a C.  Stromgren also has NHL potential as a LW. 

Another LW, is that what the organization is missing or will be missing in 2 years when Barlow is NHL ready?

"Man, we need some scoring and the lines are off balance.  Is there a LW we can call up?"  Said no Flames GM ever.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I've seen Barlow fall to the Flames in many mock drafts.  He looks like a solid player... "for sure NHLer".  I just... another LW... do we really?  I mean considering Huberdeau is a forever Flames from July 1st onwards and we've still got a young Dube/Mangiapane/Pelletier.  That even leaves out Ruzicka who is a better LW than a C.  Stromgren also has NHL potential as a LW. 

Another LW, is that what the organization is missing or will be missing in 2 years when Barlow is NHL ready?

"Man, we need some scoring and the lines are off balance.  Is there a LW we can call up?"  Said no Flames GM ever.

I think you have to look at the timeline. Mang is a UFA in 2yrs, Dube is essentially as well. Barlow is still at least a season away from the NHL. The construction of the Flames could look quite a bit different by then.

I would also ask, when’s the last time the Flames had a legit one timer threat for the PP? Iginla, probably. Barlow can bring that. 

I think you have to look at the timeline. Mang is a UFA in 2yrs, Dube is essentially as well. Barlow is still at least a season away from the NHL. The construction of the Flames could look quite a bit different by then.

I would also ask, when’s the last time the Flames had a legit one timer threat for the PP? Iginla, probably. Barlow can bring that. 

with such a strong draft, I expect several of the top 15 picks will play in the NHL next year.  As much as even half,  As an example.    Half, because half of the NHL GMs are below average GM intelligence lol.   I also expect almost all of them to struggle immensely with the exceptions of Bedard and maybe 1 or 2 other surprises.  

So yeah.  A year from now, maybe 3 out of the 16 picks will be impact players, and that's...imho, the Optimistic view.  Only one of them we kind of know (Bedard).

It will take 3-4 years for half these top picks to be useful and 5 years for most of them to be useful.

I don't even see much overlap with our younger vets (Mang, Dube), the very few of which we actually have.

I actually think we can use a D or a C. Or RHS RW.

hopefully Pelletier is an NHLer by then. Any other LWer prospects? 

wouldn't we want Ruzicka to be a mainstay?