2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Been a long time since Chicago had a player like that.  

Bobby Hull I guess?   If it goes like they say it will

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Been about 3 months since they’ve had a hall of famer on their team haha.

Funny how it always seems to work out for certain franchises 

Bedard is Kane-level talent.  So it's been about 3 months for Chicago.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Craig Button and Tod Button are close, so the Flames are probably indeed looking at Danielson.  I just fear he will be taken by 16th.  I've seen him ranked as high as 10th.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, at 16, the pick will be made for us... Whoever is left, we take him... Seems the tier of talent we are fishing in goes to about the 16th pick.  Then we see a drop off to Calum Ritchie level.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bedard is Kane-level talent.  So it's been about 3 months for Chicago.

im with Conundrum though. Should be no lottery at all. I prefer the pick go to the "worst" team. There was no other movement so at least we didn't see the whole flames won just enough to stay in their picking spot. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

Craig Button and Tod Button are close, so the Flames are probably indeed looking at Danielson.  I just fear he will be taken by 16th.  I've seen him ranked as high as 10th.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, at 16, the pick will be made for us... Whoever is left, we take him... Seems the tier of talent we are fishing in goes to about the 16th pick.  Then we see a drop off to Calum Ritchie level.

I would take Andrew Cristall, before Danielson. 

Button didn’t have him going in his top 16

I think we need a player who is dynamic. Are there any in the 16th spot? We need a guy with legs, wheels and vision. Shoot high! 

for once I want a player that isn't "safe," a 200ft player. That usually means guaranteed 3rd line or tops out at a 2nd liner. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think we need a player who is dynamic. Are there any in the 16th spot? We need a guy with legs, wheels and vision. Shoot high! 

for once I want a player that isn't "safe," a 200ft player. That usually means guaranteed 3rd line or tops out at a 2nd liner. 

Cristall, Heidt, Perrault, Yager

43 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would take Andrew Cristall, before Danielson. 

Button didn’t have him going in his top 16

Ya let's see who falls to us.  Cristall is a top 10 talent on almost everyone's list.  If he makes it to 16th then we have to take him.  

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Nah but then some years, the 5,6,7 are so close to be bumped down a tier.  And 10/11 so close, why split their draft odds?  

@robrob74 is way closer to fair though if the idea is parity. If a team that finished 16th-24th gets to draft 1oa that would about put the nail in the coffin of the NHL for me.

Between gambling being rammed down everyone's throats, jersey and board adds, the league is a whore. The officiating and DoPS need a complete overhaul.

I don't believe the lottery is fixed, but here's what gets me wild:

ARI: unofficial player workouts = lose your 1st draft pick

NJ: illegal contract that was legal at the time: lose a 1st draft pick

CHI: Destroy a young player's life via staffing a sexual predator, cover it up: Win the draft lottery

It's becoming as bad as the other 3 NA sports leagues that I gave up on years ago. I love the sports, just can't be bothered with the pro leagues.

*end rant

It's official, we have no idea who will be available at 16. Will there be another Aatu Raty in this draft that goes into freefall?

I know bpa is a fun little unrealistic catchphrase, but no one really knows who the bpa is as has been established by redrafts.

Would you rather a safe floor or high end potential? That is the difference between Danielson and Yager that some seem stuck on. I'll be a little surprised if both aren't there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's fascinating, because Chicago is quite honestly the worst team in the league when you factor in roster/pipeline.  They have very little. Korchinski is their best prospect, he's a D. 

It's not at all like Crosby, McDavid or Matthews when they were picked.

PIT had Malkin and Fleury as top two picks in prior yeard.

TOR had Nylander, Marner and Rielly

Easy to laugh at EDM but they had Draisaitl, Nuge, Eberle and Hall.

Chicago has nothing. It's gonna test that generational talent label for Bedard. He's gonna have to do it himself. Unfortunate for CHI because that ELC is gonna be wasted on some really bad teams.

"The lottery prevents teams from tanking".lol

Sell off every decent piece you have, start an AHL roster. Yeah...the lottery really works./s

Useless.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I guess we'll see D+3 who the better RHC was.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Danielson is a very safe pick and for me this is not always the best use of a mid first rounder.

You either swing for the fences and find that hall of famer out of the rubble that got missed, at the risk of them flopping,

Or you get that player which probably will make the NHL even if they have no elite flashes.

Flames tend to do the latter.   I actually don't mind Button's draft lists.  they are mostly okay.  But where they get into trouble is when they get cocky and they try and predict what the other teams are going to do, and who will fall to them, and then they get into their pick downgrades etc.

In terms of production, Nate Danielson is below that of Zary.   Danileson has the RHS thing going for him.  So, yes, where Zary will struggle fighting through depth, Danielson probably won't. But that's not going to instantly make him a first or even 2nd liner.   He's a "safe" pick.  Probably gonna make the NHL.  But not great chances of being elite.

Where things in the past have gone super sideways is when the Flames then get fixated on a player like this, completely miss the elite defenceman that drops to them, and downgrade their pick to "catch" their baby, not thinking about why he's falling in the rankings.

Lists are great.

Thinking you can play everyone else's list, isn't.  Other teams have good scouts too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Lists are great.

Thinking you can play everyone else's list, isn't.  Other teams have good scouts too.

how many teams have better scouts than the Flames?

Some teams for sure, many, yes and many no.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

@robrob74 is way closer to fair though if the idea is parity. If a team that finished 16th-24th gets to draft 1oa that would about put the nail in the coffin of the NHL for me.

The idea shouldn't be parity.  It should be integrity and honour.  It's a business of winning so win to the very last game.  This includes GMs putting together the best team possible to the very last game of the season.  There should be no incentive to lose games.  No rewards for losing.  No fan should cheer for their team to lose so they can move up the draft order.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The idea shouldn't be parity.  It should be integrity and honour.  It's a business of winning so win to the very last game.  This includes GMs putting together the best team possible to the very last game of the season.  There should be no incentive to lose games.  No rewards for losing.  No fan should cheer for their team to lose so they can move up the draft order.

maybe they don't need to change lottery rules as much as they need to put a quota on how much teams can trade at the deadline or only allowing x-amount of draft picks in a given year. Maybe limit teams to two picks in every round and up to 11 or 12 picks per draft? 

I dunno what the numbers would be, but maybe limiting how much teams can trade? Is that too much? Or too controlling?

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not going to lie... I was hoping that the Flames would trade off a few of the players on deals that expire next season. The trade deadline prices were ridiculous for a few days ahead of it, and this outcome was extremely predictable. Drafting 16th seems like the final insult that was this season. I know we'll get a fine player at 16, but I think we're in for a very long offseason.

Love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Admittedly there's no perfectly fair way of doing it.

Once you said "we don't lose, we learn".  I always wondered who Nelson Mandela got that from and now I know.

A crazy idea I've had which was actually somewhat a thing in the very early days of the NHL, and is also a thing in community hockey:

Homegrown talent.     I think organisations should be rewarded for promoting hockey in their area.   It doesn't work outright, it would need checks and balances.

An example, we should have had first shot at Cale Makar.  Really.  it made the most sense.

Now...maybe there is a counter-balance in place where we pay some kind of success penalty so teams like Vegas can survive.    That's fine.   But the bottom line is something like this would probably be appreciated by fans and players alike.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Not going to lie... I was hoping that the Flames would trade off a few of the players on deals that expire next season. The trade deadline prices were ridiculous for a few days ahead of it, and this outcome was extremely predictable. Drafting 16th seems like the final insult that was this season. I know we'll get a fine player at 16, but I think we're in for a very long offseason.

Love.

The last two weeks of the season were a big FU from SUtter.

Have about the same record as we did all season, like that was enough to get in the playoffs.  

It was all about trying to look good but doing nothing.

Saying that you are going with the starter to take you to the end...

As if he was good enough and wasn't having his worst season.

Get a few wins out of it.

We were staring down 10th or better and managed to do just enough to screw that up.

I wasn't even happy with a win because I knew the next would be a lodd.

Or we would come up one short.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The last two weeks of the season were a big FU from SUtter.

Have about the same record as we did all season, like that was enough to get in the playoffs.  

It was all about trying to look good but doing nothing.

Saying that you are going with the starter to take you to the end...

As if he was good enough and wasn't having his worst season.

Get a few wins out of it.

We were staring down 10th or better and managed to do just enough to screw that up.

I wasn't even happy with a win because I knew the next would be a lodd.

Or we would come up one short.

but now we can look at records and stats and say we were Two points back (really threw from a playoff spot). All the OT losses means just three more of those wins.... well, we could have had just as many regulation losses. Although, what in the multiverse are we really saying? 

multiverse 1: we didn't make it, 
if only the goalies played better. goalies make the save, we can score or we don't score and still lose in OT shootouts. 

#2: if only we hit less posts. 
could have gone an inch the other way and miss the net or we score an inch the other way. Two different multiverse scenarios. I guess that is 3.

#3: Coach plays Vladar while he was winning. We still lose the games we lost, or we win them. We will never know, just that the decisions were seemingly, I'm the coach, I KNOW WHAT IM DOING...

Maybe no matter what choice he made would end up with same results this year? 

#4: play Lucic less...

#5: play the kids...

There is more. 

I do wish only, like @Heartbreaker is saying, they traded some assets for picks that were high costs. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but now we can look at records and stats and say we were Two points back (really threw from a playoff spot). All the OT losses means just three more of those wins.... well, we could have had just as many regulation losses. Although, what in the multiverse are we really saying? 

multiverse 1: we didn't make it, 
if only the goalies played better. goalies make the save, we can score or we don't score and still lose in OT shootouts. 

#2: if only we hit less posts. 
could have gone an inch the other way and miss the net or we score an inch the other way. Two different multiverse scenarios. I guess that is 3.

#3: Coach plays Vladar while he was winning. We still lose the games we lost, or we win them. We will never know, just that the decisions were seemingly, I'm the coach, I KNOW WHAT IM DOING...

Maybe no matter what choice he made would end up with same results this year? 

#4: play Lucic less...

#5: play the kids...

There is more. 

I do wish only, like @Heartbreaker is saying, they traded some assets for picks that were high costs. 

I'm not aying we were a bad team as much as poorly coached this year.

Goaltending was putrid when the need was there.

Scrambling to get in with 2 weeks reamining and you need to fight off 2 other teams is crazy.

FLA was a better coached and better team and barely made it.

We were not close to them at all.

The posts only matter when you are down a goal or you needed an extra one to ensure a win.

We played the kids in a meaningless game and won exactly like we could of for a meaningful game.

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So can Barlow fall to 16 or should we just take Ritchie/Yager/Cristall...or should we jump all over Simashev for a king-sized talented young D?

mid the talent is there, we've been begging for a talent on D. You only draft that talent most of the time. You can't draft a Makar 

we had fox but didn't seem to be their go to. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So can Barlow fall to 16 or should we just take Ritchie/Yager/Cristall...or should we jump all over Simashev for a king-sized talented young D?

It's really whoever falls to us.  I would prioritize Reinbacher, Sandin-pellikka, Yager, and Danielson.  After that, take whoever falls to us.  Don't over think it.  Don't reach for Ritchie or Simashev.