2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is Calum Ritchie that bad of a pick at 16?

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's a viable 4th line next season.  Sutter would approve.

For one thing, the collective sigh for having two guys that play one style of hockey that does not win games would be deafening.  For another the draft pick would never get a chance to play in the NHL under Sutter.  Back to junior kid.  FOr two years.  

For that matter, do you want to play a prospects with two grinders with limited skill?

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like that. There are a few guys that I'm cheering against having a good tourney.lol

That whole line is starting to give me a red flag vibe. Next year all 3 will be at BC.

That'll be 3 years with the same linemates. There are zero variables to work with. All 3 should be setting the world on fire from playing together always. Perhaps all 3 of their stats are jacked due to this.

I am completely unsure how to treat it. But all 3 get a grain of salt for sure.

I know how the line works. Leonard's the grit, Smith is the glue and Perrault is the finisher.

I just don't know what they are without each other. Stats will definitely favour their draft standing, but are the 3 of them at a big advantage over most others? I have to assume so.

Let's just take Wood and tell him to stop scoring in this tourney.lol

How about Eiserman? I'll have to put up with him next year with Minny in the Big 10. There are some stellar 16yos right now.

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's a viable 4th line next season.  Sutter would approve.

Just don't. Enough of borderline NHLers. Nick had 2 chances with good teams. Do we want to be a good team?

No Ritchie bros. We're slow and lumbering enough. Sign Sundqvist if you want a big body with some skills.

Please god, no more grunts. It's not 2008, that was 15 yrs ago.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just don't. Enough of borderline NHLers. Nick had 2 chances with good teams. Do we want to be a good team?

No Ritchie bros. We're slow and lumbering enough. Sign Sundqvist if you want a big body with some skills.

And like, it kinda sucked 15 years ago, too.

Love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Price/Performance ratio tho.  We can get all three Ritchie's at league minimum leaving more money to fix other issues.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Price/Performance ratio tho.  We can get all three Ritchie's at league minimum leaving more money to fix other issues.

The last one we had was on a 2 year - $2.5M AAV deal, with his actual salary this year being $3.3M.

Consider that Jarnkrok is making $2.1M and can play more than one role.

When Sutter scratches a marginal NHL player, then you know he is done.

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The last one we had was on a 2 year - $2.5M AAV deal, with his actual salary this year being $3.3M.

Consider that Jarnkrok is making $2.1M and can play more than one role.

When Sutter scratches a marginal NHL player, then you know he is done.

No way Nick is getting that kind of money though.  If we offered both brothers minimum wage to play one season together, then they may consider.  And Brett is going to be 13th forward playing at most 30 games, mostly divisional rivalries.

Nick is a better player than Brett overall.  He could play 4th line in Lucic's vacated spot.

And honestly speaking, I would be concerned with so much muscles leaving the team in one off season.  Lucic, Nick, Lewis, etc.

Anyways, I'm okay with both brothers coming back as long as it's good value contracts.  I only want to pay the 4th line minimum wage.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sundqvist, what's the new contract looking like tho?

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No way Nick is getting that kind of money though.  If we offered both brothers minimum wage to play one season together, then they may consider.  And Brett is going to be 13th forward playing at most 30 games, mostly divisional rivalries.

Nick is a better player than Brett overall.  He could play 4th line in Lucic's vacated spot.

And honestly speaking, I would be concerned with so much muscles leaving the team in one off season.  Lucic, Nick, Lewis, etc.

Anyways, I'm okay with both brothers coming back as long as it's good value contracts.  I only want to pay the 4th line minimum wage.

Brett got injured in every fight he had for the Flames.

I didn't have a problem with him in the lineup for a dozen or so games.

But that's not the way the coach rolls.

He took Brett out because of injury.

Once he was healthy, he was back in.

If we want functional toughness, then Luke Schenn.

He's not the greatest player, but he makes decent plays and backs the team.

We had Lucic and Lewis in the lineup and Dube was the one to fight Trouba.

Even if we had Lucic and Brett this coming year, I doubt they offer much except 9 minutes of toughness.

Lucic was the nuke option that nobody would touch.

Conventional weapons only.

Dalibor Dvorsky came to life vs Germany today with 4g/1a in a 6-4 win. I'm guessing he should be in the top 12, but he's worth heavy consideration should he slip. Some rankings have him high teens. L/S C/RW/6'1"/200lbs. Has been back and forth J20 and Allsvenkan at 16 & 17. He's got all of the makings of a high end power fwd winger. The league doesn't have enough of those.

I'm a big fan of their Dman Maxim Strbak (USHL) as well. RD/6'2"/200lbs. Solid D play, 2nd rder. There are quite a few solid dmen in rd 2-3. The 3rd rd we don't have.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dalibor Dvorsky came to life vs Germany today with 4g/1a in a 6-4 win. I'm guessing he should be in the top 12, but he's worth heavy consideration should he slip. Some rankings have him high teens. L/S C/RW/6'1"/200lbs. Has been back and forth J20 and Allsvenkan at 16 & 17. He's got all of the makings of a high end power fwd winger. The league doesn't have enough of those.

I'm a big fan of their Dman Maxim Strbak (USHL) as well. RD/6'2"/200lbs. Solid D play, 2nd rder. There are quite a few solid dmen in rd 2-3. The 3rd rd we don't have.

What you see sometimes is a team focuses on the most recent results available.

So, we could result in a re-jigging of the top 20.

Interested to see how our scouts operate without a GM (likely) in place.

Is it Todd's call?

If so, we should be looking at Craig Button's list.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What you see sometimes is a team focuses on the most recent results available.

So, we could result in a re-jigging of the top 20.

Interested to see how our scouts operate without a GM (likely) in place.

Is it Todd's call?

If so, we should be looking at Craig Button's list.

I already have Dvorsky as high as I will. Short tourney with an allstar team is no place to change your mind.

Teams will be falling over themselves for Pellika which is probably a good thing.

Should also add, Barlow is fire. Not pointing much, but every situation is him. Love his game. I have him at 6.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I like that. There are a few guys that I'm cheering against having a good tourney.lol

That whole line is starting to give me a red flag vibe. Next year all 3 will be at BC.

That'll be 3 years with the same linemates. There are zero variables to work with. All 3 should be setting the world on fire from playing together always. Perhaps all 3 of their stats are jacked due to this.

I am completely unsure how to treat it. But all 3 get a grain of salt for sure.

I know how the line works. Leonard's the grit, Smith is the glue and Perrault is the finisher.

I just don't know what they are without each other. Stats will definitely favour their draft standing, but are the 3 of them at a big advantage over most others? I have to assume so.

Let's just take Wood and tell him to stop scoring in this tourney.lol

How about Eiserman? I'll have to put up with him next year with Minny in the Big 10. There are some stellar 16yos right now.

This American class reminds me a bit of 2019.

Obviously, there's no Jack Hughes this year, but you had Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Turcotte and Beecher. Of that group, Turcotte hasn't panned out. Beecher's game has never been about points, probably was overdrafted though.

Question is, who's the "Turcotte" in this years group?

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I already have Dvorsky as high as I will. Short tourney with an allstar team is no place to change your mind.

Teams will be falling over themselves for Pellika which is probably a good thing.

Should also add, Barlow is fire. Not pointing much, but every situation is him. Love his game. I have him at 6.

I'm thinking Reinbacher and Pellikka are gone before 16th. Maybe even a 3rd D as well. Pushes a good forward down the board for the Flames at 16th. Right now, I'm thinking it's a Barlow, Cristall or Yager. I think Wood and the three of the four NTDP kids are gone. 

Unrelated, but something was pointed out to me by a scout buddy and it's a pretty good point, regarding Honzek. Most European kids struggle with the transition to North America. It was seamless for Honzek and he played on a pretty weak team. I've still probably got Honzek ranked in the 20's, but something to consider if he goes earlier than that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Obviously, there's no Jack Hughes this year, but you had Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Turcotte and Beecher. Of that group, Turcotte hasn't panned out. Beecher's game has never been about points, probably was overdrafted though.

I'm thinking Reinbacher and Pellikka are gone before 16th. Maybe even a 3rd D as well. Pushes a good forward down the board for the Flames at 16th. Right now, I'm thinking it's a Barlow, Cristall or Yager. I think Wood and the three of the four NTDP kids are gone. 

Unrelated, but something was pointed out to me by a scout buddy and it's a pretty good point, regarding Honzek. Most European kids struggle with the transition to North America. It was seamless for Honzek and he played on a pretty weak team. I've still probably got Honzek ranked in the 20's, but something to consider if he goes earlier than that.

Honzek's crazy good.   Not a huge fan of drafting a LW.  But if Reinbacher is gone and Honzek's there, it's a thought.

Ritchie looks good too.   One of them will be available.  We're just not going to get to pick which one at 16.

It's not the overwhelming draft we once thought it was but there are some diamonds out there.   Still fingers crossed that we get an upgrade but unlikely.  Draft lotto might be better odds lol

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For Honzek, does that give him the Pavel Zacha comparison based on size and circumstance? Zacha didn't even want to go to the OHL, felt he was ready for the NHL.lol

Honzek's late birthday makes me categorize him as his D+1 year as I choose to ignore NHL rules. So in that regard, he should be ripping the CHL if he's regarded as a 1st rder. Like you, I have him in the 20's. Likely a stretch for me to take him at 16 or it's a trade down situation. I'm not against trading down if it meets their target.

Positionally, I'm neither here nor there, I think we need every position. As too many years of too few picks dictates.

Realistically, 16th is a mid-roster neck-of-the-woods pick. A 2nd liner is ideal, top 4 dman. 

I'm going to try to make a D-only ranking I'll post, there are so many of them in the middle. It'll give everyone something to fight about.