GDT Bruins @ Flames Feb 28/23 Start time 7pm

Heartbreaker

Wills is suggesting that the signs are there they will run with Markstrom to get him back on track.

I guess that makes sense.

Run the goalie with the worst record.

Expect him to get better.

Really it is all about having faith in the guy that let you down.

He's the starter so prove it.

48 minutes ago, zima said:

Is it just my imagination or does it seem that we have a great season one yr and the next this team can no longer match play of the yr before Marky last yr was a vezina finalist and this yr he can't stop a beach ball. I guess my biggest question is why  one yr were top or close to top in our division and the next we can't put 3 straight wins together? This is not the first time we have done this our coach becomes coach of the yr of course we don't get past the second round for that season and the next yr we are removing the coach and looking to trade our picks for more dead weight. I really hate to say this but I think it is time to clear the front office and trade all our dead weight for picks and start over again remove Nas Coleman Huber keep up pel bring up Phillips and perhaps zary. BURN it DOWN

Re: coach of year thing. It happens to everyone or almost... or call it a curse..... not all... but sure more than normal.

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

Wow ..it really has been that frustrating a year? Not even 1 four game win streak this season?? Yikes! Major inconsistency issues across the board. I don’t think that would bode well for our playoff chances if we even make it! 1st rd exit damn near guaranteed 

See I am of the mindset of if they can get in that confidence will make them a team I would not want to meet in the 1st round. Really think of it this way, we make the playoffs playing C+ hockey what happens if they flip that to a different level? 

For me this is a confidence thing, gain some form of positive momentum and look out. 

• Like 1

I loved the effort last night. We dominated a large portion of that game. This is against a team who may set an all time wins in a season record. Give us some average goaltending and we make the playoffs.

I enjoyed the game last night.. just not the result....

Bring on the Leafs...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

hounded on by the social media, the media, and the fans. Most professional athletes put more pressure on themselves to perform than anyone else could but the constant negativity can get overbearing, welcome to the Canadian market. 

Yup. Overbearing doesn't even begin to describe it.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

So my caveat here is I don't feel I can judge a position coach. That work takes place behind the scenes so IMO fans don't really have insight.

But I also don't' think you put this on a coach. Their goaltending was among the best in the league last year so unless they completely overhauled their program (unlikely) they clearly did something right last year. I also don't think it's fair to blame a position coach when a player's confidence goes to heck which is IMO what's happened to Vladar and Markstrom this year. 

I don't really have a strong opinion on firing them or keeping them because I don't know what happens behind the scenes but based what i've heard, read, and seen I don't see coaching as a problem there. 

I can blame Sutter on not placing confidence in him. Sutter's rhetoric changes about the two after losses. There is a difference. When it's Markstrom's fault he deflects blame and when it's Vladar's fault, he has to make the save. While I agree, he has to make a save, I just don't see a coach putting faith in one. And so it's like that with all younger players, nothing to prop them up. 

not saying Valamaki wasn't a problem or is killing it on Arizona, and is probably just a place holder during a rebuild, but the kid had 18 assists with them last I saw. Yup, just looked and he has 2 goals and 18 assists. 

I just don't think I can give Sutter a break on the use of his goalies. Everything he did there has backfired on him. It's also personality management, so I get it, not necessarily his fault when Marky lost his confidence, but maybe it was. That Edm series has done a doozy on him, and possibly the way Markstrom was used that series has? Maybe it's not related at all. But we all saw that suddenly Markstrom could not make a save in that series, but Sutter chose to live and die with him then, and seemingly did the same this season.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Wills is suggesting that the signs are there they will run with Markstrom to get him back on track.

I guess that makes sense.

Run the goalie with the worst record.

Expect him to get better.

Really it is all about having faith in the guy that let you down.

He's the starter so prove it.

yup, they basically did this all year. So you go with the gut. We don't have the same guy I guess. But they made things worse for a guy who was rolling to get a guy who wasn't. Then neither are rolling. 

I think it's odd, they can get up for playoff teams but can't for non-playoff teams. Is it a confidence thing, or a taking teams for granted thing? Many say teams lose to the bottom feeders, but it's been done a lot this year with this group. If they win a few more of those, it's a different story this year.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup, they basically did this all year. So you go with the gut. We don't have the same guy I guess. But they made things worse for a guy who was rolling to get a guy who wasn't. Then neither are rolling. 

I think it's odd, they can get up for playoff teams but can't for non-playoff teams. Is it a confidence thing, or a taking teams for granted thing? Many say teams lose to the bottom feeders, but it's been done a lot this year with this group. If they win a few more of those, it's a different story this year.

We played well against a tired team and well against some of the league best.  We also flopped against some of the same teams.  They sometimes play conservative against us and just limit to outside.  We can expose that.  The lotto teams are just building their teams.  If we used young-uns for those games, we would maybe see better results.  Speed kills and we lack speed in some situations.  Slow movement from the D-zone.  Dump and chase and losing possession.  Really slow getting back.  Ever watch Lucic after a O-zone shift where they are putting pressure on?  Like he is skating to the bench after a whistle.  He only moves fast in one direction.

We see really bad plays where we are on one guy and there is a loss of other players.  In man on man coverage, that shouldn't happen.