GDT - FLAMES @ Red Wings - Thursday 9 February 2023 - 5.00pm

rocketdoctor

Trade deadline won’t help this team. It’s evident the off-season departures are too much to endure. Treliving did an admirable job but this team ain’t it. Think we’ve seen enough to know what this team is and isn’t. We aren’t going to make the playoffs losing these kind of games, Flames need yet another reset 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Just checked the scores and here now, wow forgot early game, looks like I didn't miss much.

Let me guess:

Horrible Powerplay? - innefective but a couple good looks

Horrible lines? - lack of chemistry on 2nd line, 4th line is Lucic

Goaltending? Vladar should have had a SO, but the team put him out to dry; as it was he was incredible

Probably better to ask if anyone played good vs. horrible.... 

Glad I missed this one.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

So, based on tonight’s game, 1st and 2nd and 4th lines need desperate work.  Hubie needs to learn how to SHOOT the puck!!  Ok is ok, but missing Andersson; do we even have a PP?!?

Why do we seem to get up for the top ranked teams, and fold against bottom feeders?

This is not a good team right now!

I mean, half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year.  All you gotta do is beat the teams you are supposed to and lose to the teams you are supposed to.  Teams that almost always miss the playoffs are the ones who can't beat those bottom teams.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I mean, half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year.  All you gotta do is beat the teams you are supposed to and lose to the teams you are supposed to.  Teams that almost always miss the playoffs are the ones who can't beat those bottom teams.

Really, it only about 10 teams that are basically out of it from December onward.

Going 500 against the top 21 teams and less than 500 against the bottom teams us going to keep you out.

I think we are > 500 in the first category.

Under in the 2nd one.

But hey, we beat the Sharks and Ducks.

Are we as bad on TV as we are live?

D looked good for the most part. Forwards sure don't create at all. Weak shot after weak shot. Vladar played well, made some huge saves.

The Wings were as expected. PP is typically fun to watch, but dump and chase up the wazoo followed by chaos all over the ice.

SOG are sure misleading. I could have stopped the bulk of the Flames shots whereas the Wings were mainly scoring chances.

The Flames are really back to having no identity. They try to keep everything quiet. Detroit may not be a contender but they're pretty fast and have some great passing. A lot of the game just looked like the Wings trying to be fast and the Flames wanting to play in the mud.

Dube, yet again, always trying to get it going while everyone else is just floating around. Mangiapane with the really dumb late penalty taking out Seider. How were you expecting to get away with that?

All in all, it seemed like a game that the Wings would win because the Flames weren't much of a threat offensively. Oh, and the 4th line is god awful. There is no skill there.

Buffalo and Ottawa are both fast teams. This isn't going to go well, and the G position is the least of the problem.

Dube and Pelletier are the only 2 fwds trying to push hard. Hard to watch zero intensity or drive from the forwards. Zero creativity. What a cluster****.

They're frustrating to watch because they are clearly playing frustrated.

Just looking like it's not there this year. Issues with chemistry, issues with coaching, guys getting frustrated/not playing well, sub par goaltending, communication issues on the back end. 

Running out of time for me to think this team can just flip a switch. I think this was always going to be a season where the Flames were not going to be a good regular season team and there ability to do anything was really going to come down to getting hot at the right time. There is still some time for that but this team isn't playing the type of hockey that makes you think that is coming right now. 

This volume game they are playing is just pure crap to me and I wish media would stop talking about it. I don't' give a crap if you outshoot a team 2-1 if you are throwing noting but soft pucks on net all net. Such an archaic way to play the game. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

D looked good for the most part. Forwards sure don't create at all. Weak shot after weak shot. Vladar played well, made some huge saves.

The Wings were as expected. PP is typically fun to watch, but dump and chase up the wazoo followed by chaos all over the ice.

SOG are sure misleading. I could have stopped the bulk of the Flames shots whereas the Wings were mainly scoring chances.

The Flames are really back to having no identity. They try to keep everything quiet. Detroit may not be a contender but they're pretty fast and have some great passing. A lot of the game just looked like the Wings trying to be fast and the Flames wanting to play in the mud.

Dube, yet again, always trying to get it going while everyone else is just floating around. Mangiapane with the really dumb late penalty taking out Seider. How were you expecting to get away with that?

All in all, it seemed like a game that the Wings would win because the Flames weren't much of a threat offensively. Oh, and the 4th line is god awful. There is no skill there.

Buffalo and Ottawa are both fast teams. This isn't going to go well, and the G position is the least of the problem.

Dube and Pelletier are the only 2 fwds trying to push hard. Hard to watch zero intensity or drive from the forwards. Zero creativity. What a cluster****.

Yup, that about sums up what I saw on TV.  The Mangiapane penalty looked unintentional, but the motive was to interrupt. 

Can't keep taking that many calls and expect to win.  We defended well on the PK, but too many times we are looking to score and are out of position later.

We should call the team the Calgary Mud Bugs.  Slow to create, slow to react.  Flip us over and we can't get back up.  

Something isn't right in the state of Denmark.

About the only time we look dangerous is when Pelletier is looking to shoot, Backlund drives the net or Stone takes a shot.

The little push pass is a turnover in the making.

The passes on the PP happen until they run out of options, and none of them include driving the net.

The NY game was a study in how to lose a game you should win.

The DET game was a study of how not to create offense and think you will win based on serving up 3 dozen muffins.

The analysts referred to the NY game as the best of the season.  Really?  It was a game that showed what losing your cool looks like.

Sutter has turned the team from a skills based team with some identity to a no-skill team that just wants greasy goals but can't score them.

The only time we look remotely like a NHL team is when we place emphasis on the rush.

We used to be able to forecheck, but we only send in one guy or dump and chase with no speed entering.

Sutter is right, we haven't played yet a perfect game.

Because it doesn't exist with the way this team is lined up.

Sutter doesn't believe in chemistry, he suggests that you play a guy according to his performance.

Pretty hard to play Huberdeau 20+ minutes when him and the C can't even execute a pass.

Kadri like to be the guy, so put him with people that can get him the puck in a HD situation.

He reminds me of Bennet, when Bennett used to try to go through the entire team.

Huberdeau may be an elite passer, but put him with guys that know when to shoot.

Dube comes to mind.

Ruzicka used to take a shot.

Toffoli always manages to get decent shots off.

Abandon the idea of a role-based 4th line.  It makes no sense anymore.

You can't roll that line if they are a constant threat to be scored on.

Other teams use the 4th line for speed and tenacity, but less chance to score.

Take the chains off the players.  They need to find their way to win, not just sticking to the same plan.

Let them get creative and use their skill, then add the little things they are lacking.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Just looking like it's not there this year. Issues with chemistry, issues with coaching, guys getting frustrated/not playing well, sub par goaltending, communication issues on the back end. 

Running out of time for me to think this team can just flip a switch. I think this was always going to be a season where the Flames were not going to be a good regular season team and there ability to do anything was really going to come down to getting hot at the right time. There is still some time for that but this team isn't playing the type of hockey that makes you think that is coming right now. 

This volume game they are playing is just pure crap to me and I wish media would stop talking about it. I don't' give a crap if you outshoot a team 2-1 if you are throwing noting but soft pucks on net all net. Such an archaic way to play the game. 

This year??  Honestly this group is basically 27-32 years old.   If this isn't the year, then it never will be.  How many more years are there left?

This is the group for the next 3 years.  This is the coach.  This is the goaltending.  This is the D.  Unless something big happens.

This year??  Honestly this group is basically 27-32 years old.   If this isn't the year, then it never will be.  How many more years are there left?

This is the group for the next 3 years.  This is the coach.  This is the goaltending.  This is the D.  Unless something big happens.

Every year is different. I don't think it's reasonable to say because it's not clicking this year then it won't in other years. Huberdeau, Mang, Markstrom, Weegar all have avg to down years and I think it's very reasonable to think that pattern to break in a new season. NHL has turned into a parity driven league and there are plenty of example of things changing year by year. 

Timeline is short no question. I figure this group has 3-4 years to do something before pain sets in. Certainly not ideal to have a year not go their way but seems to be the reality they are faced with. 

Well Boston isn't exactly a group of young bucks, a year ago they looked like they were on the downswing and didn't really get any younger in the offseason, although they did have a coaching change and maybe Pastrnak drank some of Gaudreau's contract year juice.  But this team is maddening proof that you can't base the next season off of the current one, its just the rollercoaster of being a fan of this team exceeding expectations in 2019 and last year followed by not meeting them the next season.  The age thing still doesn't concern me unless as long as we let Lucic, Lewis and Stone walk, individual performances will always vary at this point last year people were complaining about the Mang-Backs-Coleman line because they thought the other 2 were wasting Mange's offense, this year it's the line that was needed to resurrect his game.  Who knows what next year brings, who knows what next month brings.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I noticed it last year, different group, but especially in the playoffs, and to me it just warms up the other goalie. It gives them shot practice. This isn't the 80's nhl where you could score from anywhere, where the goalies

left huge holes in their standup technique...

it's why I felt, while Ottinger played great and awesome, I felt we warmed him up a lot to get feels for the puck. 

the strategy is the same this year. I get that getting shots on net is needed, but I want more traffic in the process before shooting to create more opportunity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

Well Boston isn't exactly a group of young bucks, a year ago they looked like they were on the downswing and didn't really get any younger in the offseason, although they did have a coaching change and maybe Pastrnak drank some of Gaudreau's contract year juice.  But this team is maddening proof that you can't base the next season off of the current one, its just the rollercoaster of being a fan of this team exceeding expectations in 2019 and last year followed by not meeting them the next season.  The age thing still doesn't concern me unless as long as we let Lucic, Lewis and Stone walk, individual performances will always vary at this point last year people were complaining about the Mang-Backs-Coleman line because they thought the other 2 were wasting Mange's offense, this year it's the line that was needed to resurrect his game.  Who knows what next year brings, who knows what next month brings.

BOS is not a good example because they brought back a bunch of players that struck gold together in the past.  It was highly likely that it would work again.  We don't know if this Flames group would work or not.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I did not consider the defence to be playing well at all!  Zadorov is getting into the bad habit of being slow or lackadaisical coming out of his own zone.  I’m starting to see at least once or twice a game where he is complacent in his movement, and as a result the puck is coughed up at a crucial point, causing a dangerous situation for the goalie.