GDT - FLAMES @ Red Wings - Thursday 9 February 2023 - 5.00pm

rocketdoctor

7 hours ago, flames for life said:

I did not consider the defence to be playing well at all!  Zadorov is getting into the bad habit of being slow or lackadaisical coming out of his own zone.  I’m starting to see at least once or twice a game where he is complacent in his movement, and as a result the puck is coughed up at a crucial point, causing a dangerous situation for the goalie.

They looked good live. Both teams Dmen were always waiting on line changes and fwds to set for plays.

One of the most mind-boggling moments was Chiarot behind his net for a full 10 seconds for line changes. He then hit Sundqvist at the Flames blueline for a 2-on-1 with Zadina but a good stick by, I think, Z broke it up. The Flames had no end of time to defend against that pass happening. My mind was blown. And where was the other Dman? Zadina was wide open had the pass gotten through. Zadina has a cannon of a shot. Wtf Flames? The 4th line fwds were hideous all night.

What a difference seeing them live to seeing them on TV. Garbage.

Back to my, if we really NEED to trade, go after Sunny and Maatta. They'd improve what we have at lower cost. Maatta had a great game tieing up fwds at the net.

Really solid game doing the things no one notices. Excellent around his goalie's crease. Him and Tanev would be lights out. Or move Weegar to the right of him. He has improved every D pairing that he's been on in Detroit. He's definitely not underrated with Wings fans.

Yzerman would re-sign him, no doubt in my mind. But they're also loaded with D prospects.

The Flames should target him in the off-season regardless. He's 28. I'd do 5 x $3 in a heartbeat. Hronek, Walman having breakout years are direct correlations to Maatta being stability.

We went from eyerolling whatever at Stevie's 1 x $2.25 signing to, holy Satoshi Nakamoto, what a signing.

There is a lot to unload re Maatta. Everyone was done with Hronek. Maatta pairing, Hronek's a force. Seider turned into bad paired with Chiarot. Adjust pairings, 6th dman sucks, put Maatta with him. Stability. He is underrated for how good he is defensively. Very rare to see a goal against being on him.