Wings, baby, Wings

conundrumed

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

$17.65 in cap space. Seider, Raymond and Berggren left to sign.

Goodbye cap space.

Hope you know what you're doing, Stevie! 🫣

It'll be a telling season, for sure.

I wasn't really following what the WIngs were doing this summer.  Kane and Tank is really the only things that stood out.  I guess the Kane deal is the usual sign for a year trade at TDL kind of deal.  Tank for 2 years is more compete.  I don't hate that signing, just question the why now.

Any thoughts on direction?  It seems to be win now.  Do they have the mix?

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I wasn't really following what the WIngs were doing this summer.  Kane and Tank is really the only things that stood out.  I guess the Kane deal is the usual sign for a year trade at TDL kind of deal.  Tank for 2 years is more compete.  I don't hate that signing, just question the why now.

Any thoughts on direction?  It seems to be win now.  Do they have the mix?

They also added Talbot at G, Gustafsson on D to take over Ghostisbehere from last year as a no D Dman.

Added Jack Campbell because he's from Port Huron right beside me, can't think of another reason. lol

FA has been a mixed bag, for every Maatta there's the Holl signing, for every Compher signing there's the Copp signing.

All he's really doing is not rushing prospects. If the prospect shows he deserves a spot in camp, they'll make a spot. Raymond and Seider are the reminders, they kicked the door down so they made the big club.

The level of patience stretches a fan's patience. lol

Edvinsson will be on the team this year, and Yzerman stated Albert Johansson will be too. A handful of prospects are a year closer. Danielson is already a tough call for this year. Others are close.

Rebuilds are awesome if you live long enough to see the end result. lol Transitioning out of it is the stressful-to-watch 5 year part.

Great you get McDavid or Bedard. You've got a ton of problems that got you there, they only play 1 position for 25mins/nt, so you're still pretty royally screwed.

The cold dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubricated.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They also added Talbot at G, Gustafsson on D to take over Ghostisbehere from last year as a no D Dman.

Added Jack Campbell because he's from Port Huron right beside me, can't think of another reason. lol

FA has been a mixed bag, for every Maatta there's the Holl signing, for every Compher signing there's the Copp signing.

All he's really doing is not rushing prospects. If the prospect shows he deserves a spot in camp, they'll make a spot. Raymond and Seider are the reminders, they kicked the door down so they made the big club.

The level of patience stretches a fan's patience. lol

Edvinsson will be on the team this year, and Yzerman stated Albert Johansson will be too. A handful of prospects are a year closer. Danielson is already a tough call for this year. Others are close.

Rebuilds are awesome if you live long enough to see the end result. lol Transitioning out of it is the stressful-to-watch 5 year part.

Great you get McDavid or Bedard. You've got a ton of problems that got you there, they only play 1 position for 25mins/nt, so you're still pretty royally screwed.

The cold dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubricated.

And you tend to be picking up your stick off the ice when it arrives.

Heard some unfounded rumours (Pagnotta anyone?) that they were ballparking Sieder at over 10 and Raymond would do a Tkachuk deal,.  You hear anything believable?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

And you tend to be picking up your stick off the ice when it arrives.

Heard some unfounded rumours (Pagnotta anyone?) that they were ballparking Sieder at over 10 and Raymond would do a Tkachuk deal,.  You hear anything believable?

It's gotta be around 8-9 for each.

Raymond is starting to play like he's shot out of a cannon and Seider will add more O, but he's solid on D. Near unbeatable 1-on-1.

I'm perfect locking both up longterm. Anything under 17 is bonus. Both are still burgeoning young stars in the league. They are literally the type of players what you build around.

I'd wager Raymond will go off the rails this year. Kane likely re-signed to raise him as his own kid. lol

He's turning into one heckuva player. Aggressive, intense af with skill to spare.

Larks raised him well.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Raymond is starting to play like he's shot out of a cannon and Seider will add more O, but he's solid on D. Near unbeatable 1-on-1.

I'm perfect locking both up longterm. Anything under 17 is bonus. Both are still burgeoning young stars in the league. They are literally the type of players what you build around.

I'd wager Raymond will go off the rails this year. Kane likely re-signed to raise him as his own kid. lol

He's turning into one heckuva player. Aggressive, intense af with skill to spare.

Larks raised him well.

Seider feels like an automatic $9 x 8-years.  Why is it taking so long?  Does he want $10-mil-per?  The Offense isn't there yet.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Seider feels like an automatic $9 x 8-years.  Why is it taking so long?  Does he want $10-mil-per?  The Offense isn't there yet.

And Raymond $8. Berggren likely wants and deserves a decent $1-2mil low-level one way.

I'd have offer-sheeted Berggren before Holloway, personally.

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And Raymond $8. Berggren likely wants and deserves a decent $1-2mil low-level one way.

I'd have offer-sheeted Berggren before Holloway, personally.

Raymond is more tricky because the stats are still developing and range is big.  30G right now.. He probably thinks he can score 40 at some point and want to be paid as a 40G guy at some point in the future.  He probably wants a 3 year deal.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Larks raised him well.

What I was referring to with Raymond was a increasing salary that leaves him at $9M for a QO.

Not saying I have a proble with the player earning that much, I just like that type of structiure,

It almost ensures something like Marner or more long term.

On 9/9/2024 at 11:11 PM, travel_dude said:

What I was referring to with Raymond was a increasing salary that leaves him at $9M for a QO.

Not saying I have a proble with the player earning that much, I just like that type of structiure,

It almost ensures something like Marner or more long term.

Isn't this what we did with Tkachuk?

Raymond is worth the 8-year now. He had a down sophomore year, as seems to happen a lot as teams get more focus on you, and you're still growing into man size. About the mid-way point last season, he just took right off as a constant threat.

They said he came to camp last season having added about 20lbs of muscle.

I believe he's now only going to get even better. Why wait if you can save $$ in the long run.

For the rookie matches vs Dallas, I'll have my eyes on Danielson. He looked so good last camp and preseason games. You could literally see him running the PK, even pointing to vets to tell them where to be in the D-zone.

We're pretty pumped about seeing him this year. IQ is off the charts.

We care not about jr stats last year, just work on what you were told to. He could be ready this year.

Then there's Albert Johansson...stop torturing us, give him a chance. He's one of the smartest defensively responsible dmen in the entire system. Put him on Seider's left already. A way better Walman. A more mobile and smarter Chia-rot.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Isn't this what we did with Tkachuk?

Raymond is worth the 8-year now. He had a down sophomore year, as seems to happen a lot as teams get more focus on you, and you're still growing into man size. About the mid-way point last season, he just took right off as a constant threat.

They said he came to camp last season having added about 20lbs of muscle.

I believe he's now only going to get even better. Why wait if you can save $$ in the long run.

For the rookie matches vs Dallas, I'll have my eyes on Danielson. He looked so good last camp and preseason games. You could literally see him running the PK, even pointing to vets to tell them where to be in the D-zone.

We're pretty pumped about seeing him this year. IQ is off the charts.

We care not about jr stats last year, just work on what you were told to. He could be ready this year.

Then there's Albert Johansson...stop torturing us, give him a chance. He's one of the smartest defensively responsible dmen in the entire system. Put him on Seider's left already. A way better Walman. A more mobile and smarter Chia-rot.

I think I said I like this, but I meant to type that I didn't like the Tkachuk contract here that left the $9M QO.  It took him to RFA with rights.  He could have signed the QO and taken it to UFA.  

Anyway, not suggesting Raymond isn't worth whatever he is asking for for 8 years, just hope he isn't gaming the system to get a Tkachuk deal.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think I said I like this, but I meant to type that I didn't like the Tkachuk contract here that left the $9M QO.  It took him to RFA with rights.  He could have signed the QO and taken it to UFA.  

Anyway, not suggesting Raymond isn't worth whatever he is asking for for 8 years, just hope he isn't gaming the system to get a Tkachuk deal.

Zero reason to not lock him up for 8yrs now. It'll be a bargain between escalating cap and age. If I were his or Seider's agent, I'd definitely start at cap-escalated price.

What term each signs for should be telling. I hope for both at 8yrs. Not terms revolving around other expiring contracts.

Kind of a, "take your medicine now, don't delay the inevitable".

Just now, conundrumed said:

Zero reason to not lock him up for 8yrs now. It'll be a bargain between escalating cap and age. If I were his or Seider's agent, I'd definitely start at cap-escalated price.

What term each signs for should be telling. I hope for both at 8yrs. Not terms revolving around other expiring contracts.

Kind of a, "take your medicine now, don't delay the inevitable".

I agree.  We should have done the same with Tkachuk when we had the chance, but there was some indication that Tkachuk wanted to have a shorter deal to allow for a higher future payday.  The cap going up in the future and possibly current cap may have led him to believe he could get more in a few years.

There were some rumors that Raymond wanted short term.  That's the only reason I brought up the QO, etc.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I agree.  We should have done the same with Tkachuk when we had the chance, but there was some indication that Tkachuk wanted to have a shorter deal to allow for a higher future payday.  The cap going up in the future and possibly current cap may have led him to believe he could get more in a few years.

There were some rumors that Raymond wanted short term.  That's the only reason I brought up the QO, etc.

Can't say I blame him. All the more reason to pay a bit more for term in the now. Hopefully there's a halfway. I'd love 8 x $9 for both right now. It's a tough negotiation with both at the same time. Welcome to rebuilds.

Berggren's still a mil. Make cap. Send a pick to lose Holl...

edit

On the upside, nice to know how the Leafs approach D, that he was an important guy. lol

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Got Raymond on a a good long term deal.

That will be a steal of a deal if he continues to progress.

Yeah that was happy news. Signed Berggren to a 1 year $.875 and expect a good year from him.

Now just awaiting Seider to take the rest of the cap space.

The Copp, but especially Holl, contracts are beginning to stick out like a sore thumb. To a lesser extent, add Chiarot. Every team has a few bad contracts, but those 3 in particular have too much term. Near $14mil, the cap can't go up fast enough.

Like the Flames seemed to during the Gio era, the Wings may have a cap ceiling on Larkin's $8.7.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah that was happy news. Signed Berggren to a 1 year $.875 and expect a good year from him.

Now just awaiting Seider to take the rest of the cap space.

The Copp, but especially Holl, contracts are beginning to stick out like a sore thumb. To a lesser extent, add Chiarot. Every team has a few bad contracts, but those 3 in particular have too much term. Near $14mil, the cap can't go up fast enough.

Like the Flames seemed to during the Gio era, the Wings may have a cap ceiling on Larkin's $8.7.

Well to be fair Larkin set the bar did he not?  Consistent stats (scoring at the least) over the last 3 seasons.  Different time when he signed, but I guess it makes sense.  By keeping him below 9, it means they can do long term with Seider.  Expect something in that range, or up to what they have left (is it 10?).

I think it good to lock up players that have proved to be good, not just what you think they might do.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well to be fair Larkin set the bar did he not?  Consistent stats (scoring at the least) over the last 3 seasons.  Different time when he signed, but I guess it makes sense.  By keeping him below 9, it means they can do long term with Seider.  Expect something in that range, or up to what they have left (is it 10?).

I think it good to lock up players that have proved to be good, not just what you think they might do.

About $8.75 left. Hopefully Seider will do $8.5.

Edvinsson with 2 yrs left on his ELC is great. Need expiring contracts to go away in the next 2 years and other moves to clear a player or 2 for sure. Then at that time, we'd expect Kasper, Danielson, Sandin-Pellika, Wallinder, Brandsegg-Nygard etc to close those gaps.

First preseason game tonight.

For any of you sailors out there, this should be a good'er. Disappointed not seeing Danielson for the D.

Bedard made it clear he was his least favourite guy to play against in the Dub.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/chicago-blackhawks-detroit-red-wings-september-25-2024-preseason-preview-tv-info-lineup/

Of course Kane has to go to Chicago. Love it.

Watched Detroit's Red & White game. Kane. I'm telling you right now, he looks, "holy Satoshi Nakamoto" good.

I'll revisit this, 20 games in, once the NHL snaps out of AHL-quality hockey.

He doesn't look a year older. He looks a year smarter and more dynamic.

I'll bite my tongue with the rest, for now.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yikes. Not easy to jack a stream. Evidently 80km from Detroit is “out of region”.

Well, fukya then.

Me pirate. lol

Took a bit. Great stream now.

1-0 Wings. Tyler Motte, who else? lol

No Kane. Bad info. I didn’t unfriend him.

He’s there, in street clothes.

Bummer.

For those who have Amazon Prime, they will be streaming games for Monday Night Hockey this season,

https://www.primevideo.com/salp/nhl

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For those who have Amazon Prime, they will be streaming games for Monday Night Hockey this season,

https://www.primevideo.com/salp/nhl

Hey, I love being Prime.

Fun story. An old and dear friend crossed the river into the US and opened a US address business.

It’s delightful. Don’t ship to Canada? Okay. Here’s a Port Huron, Michigan address 15 minutes away and visit a buddy.

It’s kinda spectacular.