2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think mainly because he's had 8 seasons in the league and is still a tweener. There are a ton of flaws in his game. He needs to play top 6, but isn't good enough to be in anyone's top 6. There really isn't much good to say about his game,

I agree, I think the guy has had a good half season in his entire career, which he followed with a very bad half.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think mainly because he's had 8 seasons in the league and is still a tweener. There are a ton of flaws in his game. He needs to play top 6, but isn't good enough to be in anyone's top 6. There really isn't much good to say about his game,

Cool. Thanks!

I've not seen a whole lot of him except for the occasional highlight, and remember him from the stick tricks at the draft. I looked at his numbers, which aren't exceptional, but was a bit surprised that he's still there.

Love.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I agree, I think the guy has had a good half season in his entire career, which he followed with a very bad half.

Dube is coming off a season where he had a poor first 3/4 followed by a great quarter.

I think the idea is to make the team better overall.

One player alone makes just a little difference.

ANA didn't feel he was worth $1.8M.

Does that mean he isn't worth as much as Kevin Rooney?

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dube is coming off a season where he had a poor first 3/4 followed by a great quarter.

I'd say that's correct. Rooney is a good role player. He has great D awareness. There really isn't much to compliment Milano on, Dube's a much better player.

Milano was with Zegras. They knew he needed to be replaced and the further you drop him down the lineup the worse he gets. So cut bait.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think he makes the team better overall, he is coming off playing with a talented center and getting top PP minutes and put up good numbers for a couple months and disappeared once 2022 hit, Dube struggled but played down the lineup most the year, changed from wing to C a couple times averaged 2 minutes a game less than Milano and 70 minutes less of PP time, add in 2 years younger  I like Dube going forward more than Milano.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd say that's correct. Rooney is a good role player. He has great D awareness. There really isn't much to compliment Milano on, Dube's a much better player.

Milano was with Zegras. They knew he needed to be replaced and the further you drop him down the lineup the worse he gets. So cut bait.

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't think he makes the team better overall, he is coming off playing with a talented center and getting top PP minutes and put up good numbers for a couple months and disappeared once 2022 hit, Dube struggled but played down the lineup most the year, changed from wing to C a couple times averaged 2 minutes a game less than Milano and 70 minutes less of PP time, add in 2 years younger  I like Dube going forward more than Milano.

Fair criticism.

We seem to have a lot of insight into why player X is not good.

Dube has floated through the lineup and been called out by Sutter for needing to be much better.

He scored 8 of his 18 goals in the last 10 games of the season.

I keep waiting for him to break out.

The unfortunate side effect of the Tkachuk situation is the unrelenting rumors about this team or that team offering players X and Y.

Some of the funny ones are:

Marner or Tavares plus Gio for MT (this one made me laugh)

Kyrou + Krug + 1st for MT (they even suggested it was turned down)

Not that I believe anything, but it's hard to tell with the lack of hockey analysts post FA day.

They all went on vacation. 

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The unfortunate side effect of the Tkachuk situation is the unrelenting rumors about this team or that team offering players X and Y.

Some of the funny ones are:

Marner or Tavares plus Gio for MT (this one made me laugh)

Kyrou + Krug + 1st for MT (they even suggested it was turned down)

Not that I believe anything, but it's hard to tell with the lack of hockey analysts post FA day.

They all went on vacation. 

Krug and Kyrou makes some sense if we are trying to stay competitive, but Krug has a full NTC and I doubt he waives it to come here. I don't really love any of the packages I am seeing from St. Louis. I am just not a huge fan of Kyrou, if he the best we can get for Tkachuk then so be it, but I am hopeful that we can get someone better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sak22 said:

I can't see Tkachuk having interest in that team at the moment, I think the fact of not competing and playing in a 5K arena for a few years might outweigh living out any legacy there.  Although I could see Tempe building that arena before Calgary, still tough to waste away prime years on a bottom feeder.

for the record, it doesn't really matter where he wants to go .. he has no control..   let him have his one year and the AZ can flip him at the TDL.. in the meantime we get our return ..

and if you believe in rumors.. he'll be reunited with his good Buddy Austin in a couple years there too

I should add too, i don't get the widespread belief that this means for sure he's going .. he could very easily sign long term.. All the Flames have done is bought themselves some time and some insurance 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

for the record, it doesnt really matter where he wants to go .. he has no control..   let him have his one year and the AZ can flip him at the TDL.. in the meantime we get our return ..

and if you believe in rumors.. he'll be reunited with his good Buddy Austin in a couple years there too

1) It doesn't mesh with how they are operating, I don't see them pivoting from wanting a big haul in futures for Chychrun to making a deal in which they would need to offer more and take on risk.  I don't think he is the type of player you target to just flip at the deadline, his production on that team can possibly take a steep drop or he could get injured.  

2) Even if true I don't think the guy will be okay with tanking 2 years just for that opportunity, 

34 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wonder how NYI feels about Barzal right now. He's due a 10m QO next year.

That is very interesting I would wonder if there could be something there, I would say the biggest thing for the Islanders is their C depth isn't great at the moment, the question I have would Tkachuk-Barzal be a fair straight up trade or would one have to add?  

Just now, sak22 said:

That is very interesting I would wonder if there could be something there, I would say the biggest thing for the Islanders is their C depth isn't great at the moment, the question I have would Tkachuk-Barzal be a fair straight up trade or would one have to add?  

The positional value of Barzal vs Tkachuk is the ultimate equalizer. Hard to say what NY is thinking, but they have been linked to Kadri. 

Tkachuk has been more durable and outproduced Barzal and I think that could outweigh the positional value.

I've been trying to think all day of a hockey trade for Tkachuk that makes sense. It's not a perfect deal but It would bring back a pretty dynamic player to CGY.

Also worth noting and I can't remember where I saw this, but when Barzal was drafted, his favourite team was the Flames.

• Like 1

Just now, sak22 said:

I think the old guy might have something to say about paying Tkachuk any more than 8.5M.

If anything, we should talk to them about Mangiapane for Barzal.

We give up a 30+ goal guy, they give up a playmaking C

He's not hit the heights one would have expected by nopw.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That’s fair, but maybe Sutter could fix that? Pending on the cost maybe 1mil or

less he could be a low risk high potential sign…

also, why is Neto not signed, he had a good season last year with Car…he’d be a good pick up for 2nd line LW insurance..again pending on what he is asking for $$$ and term…though,

till There is some certainty with Tachuck is hard to make any mid to large moves…hence the small signings BT has made 

Though I am wondering what the hold up with Manji is…he wants to be here, young, definitely a solid 2nd liner…border line 1st liner and still getting better…if he’s asking between 5.5 and 6 BT should just do it…if the divide is 5.5 on Cgy and 6 with Manji just offer 5.75 and get it done already! 

I still like NJ as a trade partner.

Here's what I would ask for

2023 1st

If NJ wants lottery protection then it's going to cost them Mukhammadulin. 

One of L. Hughes, Holtz or Nemec. Safe to say it would be Holtz

NJ may need to move some money. I'd be fine with Tatar. 1yr at 4.5. He can be moved at the TDL, further increasing the return for Tkachuk. 

I'd also get greedy and ask for Severson. They've got Dougie/Marino/Nemec. The prices for D are insane at the TDL, you can get a 1st and 2nd for a rental D, or a prospect.

In a year the deal could very well look like

2023 1st

2023 1st and 2nd (Severson TDL)

2023 2nd (Tatar half retained TDL)

Holtz

Mukhammadulin

I know I'm doing lot's of projecting here, but to turn Tkachuk into two of NJ's top 5 prospects and 4 top 60 picks would be pretty nice.

• Like 1

It’s hard to see how this plays out because while it’s easy to say send him

where ever Tkachuk has leverage here. If he doesn’t like the destination then he’s taking a one year deal and going UFA. Maybe you get a GM desperate enough not to care but I think to maximize the return you likely need to send him somewhere he wants to be and will extend with. hopefully that’s enough to credit a bidding war. 
Based solely on talent, age etc this should Be a massive deal where the flames receive 3-4 pieces at minimum but I could also see it going a different way and the return being a let down. Really depends on how much Tkachuk and his camp engage in the process 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wonder how NYI feels about Barzal right now. He's due a 10m QO next year.

I love the player but I wonder if the flames would even go down this path again. Whomever agent came up with the increased final year salary is a genius. Just gives tremendous leverage to the player. 
I'm not really sure why Barzal - Tkachuk would be on the table but I really wonder if the Flames would even go that route if it was. 

If it was on the table, the Islanders should add for sure. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I love the player but I wonder if the flames would even go down This path again. 
not sure it’s ok the table but I question the flames interest if it was. 

I would agree.

It is just really tough seeing a hockey trade being on the table. Barzal could fit the bill.

32 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would agree.

It is just really tough seeing a hockey trade being on the table. Barzal could fit the bill.

It's a tough situation.  Personally I don't think Tre looks at anything that doesn't help in the immediate, I could be wrong but I'm just viewing him as a guy on the last year of his deal with an organizational goal to compete, maybe Edwards has faith in him going forward and will cut him a little slack because of Johnny, but my thoughts are a missed playoffs and he's gone.  But IMO if you want to change paths you either commit to the same driver or get a new one, and the middle of an offseason isn't the best time to change drivers.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It's a tough situation.  Personally I don't think Tre looks at anything that doesn't help in the immediate, I could be wrong but I'm just viewing him as a guy on the last year of his deal with an organizational goal to compete, maybe Edwards has faith in him going forward and will cut him a little slack because of Johnny, but my thoughts are a missed playoffs and he's gone.  But IMO if you want to change paths you either commit to the same driver or get a new one, and the middle of an offseason isn't the best time to change drivers.

I agree. BT is in the final year of his deal, I don't know if he can afford to lose Johnny and then miss the playoffs. 

Really tough spot to be in. Most of the league has less than 5m in cap space. Tkachuk is guaranteed 9m. It's gonna take some creativity to make a hockey deal

I think it's all just one bug USA development league conspiracy ..

Eichel is Ufa in 4 years ..

Matthews signs a max $ deal that walks him straight to his first eligible year of Ufa 

Chuckys deal was made to get him there at the earliest date...

Arizona been kept on life support beyond any reasonable reason... New arena in the next 3-4 years ..

Everyone knows Bettman has some love affair with usa hockey .

They're all gonna have a reunion in Arizona..

😁😁🤣🤣