2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

I know there are high emotions right now and everyone has their opinions on what is happening. I understand the many different points of view and I can say that there is a lot to not like about the situation but there are also some good things too.

Right now, Treliving and the team need to do what is best for the team moving forward. Whether the blame for Johnny leaving for nothing is on Treliving or Johnny doesn’t really matter. Whether it was due to taxes, possible travel restrictions for family, being closer to family, annoyed by treatment, doesn’t really make a big difference. This kind of thing happens to most teams at least a few times. This is a first for the Flames. Fox and Brodie are different situations. So are Giordano, Iginla and Kipper. What matters now is what happens next.

Flames are currently projected to have around 18.5 million in cap space with 8 forwards, 8 D, 2 G and 1 IR (6.375 million). Monahan on IR is included in the cap hit, so depending on his situation, and sending players to minors, the Flames could have more cap to spare. 

The Flames currently have 3 RFAs to sign in Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Kylington which would make 11 F (including Monahan) and 9 D (2 extra) if all signed leaving a need for 2 more F.

Tkachuk eats at least half of that cap space, Mangiapane should be in the 5-6 range which leaves only 5-8 mil (depending on which D sent to minors) for 2 remaining forwards, 1 of whom we expect to be high impact.

Currently without RFAs, we have

Dube / Lindholm / Toffoli

Rooney / Backlund / Coleman

Lucic / Monahan / Lewis

So what really needs to be done moving forward?

I think at this point we as fans just want something to be excited about. We didn’t have a great draft, then we just lost one of the most talented players in franchise players in the most bizarre way, we are now facing the possibility of having the same thing happen with Tkachuk, we haven’t signed a big name free agent.

What is the direction for this team? If it’s let’s build around what we have, then let’s get an impact player and go. If it’s rebuild, let’s make some trades and look forward to the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think at this point we as fans just want something to be excited about. We didn’t have a great draft, then we just lost one of the most talented players in franchise players in the most bizarre way, we are now facing the possibility of having the same thing happen with Tkachuk, we haven’t signed a big name free agent.

What is the direction for this team? If it’s let’s build around what we have, then let’s get an impact player and go. If it’s rebuild, let’s make some trades and look forward to the future.

That's pretty fair.

Thjachuk is not a player to build around, IMHO.

He's great if you have another dynamic player.

I'm not suggesting rebuild, since that won't happen here.

I do think we need to define a lane and fit in it.

If that means building around Tkachuk, then get the player that makes it work.

If it means trading him for a young star, then do it.

If it means trading a bunch of players to get a top C, do it.

Stuck with the same cast and crew won't work.

We are a middling team without him.

Not that he was the savior, but we are worse off.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

There was no excitement last offseason either, people wanted Johnny traded because he wasn't going to hit past production and nobody even liked the idea of giving him more than 8.  As of now there is nothing to be excited about, but we aren't looking at having a next year regret, no contracts signed more than 2 years and nothing over 5 million.  Still have our 1st and 2nd for the next 3 drafts.  We still have good players, a great coach and a winning farm team, we just have one shiny toy less.

Justin Kirkland signed with Anaheim, I am more disappointed losing him than I am about Gawdin. Kirkland was a good hard nosed guy who put up 20 goals in the AHL and could have played well in a 4th line role for the Flames. Not the end of the world obviously, but still a player I would have liked to see Calgary keep around.

I do wonder if we use our cap space to get some guys from teams like Vancouver, Tampa, Florida, Washington, Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Philly. They are all over the cap right now according to capfriendly, now I didn't look closely at their LTIR situations so there could be teams that don't need to make moves. 

It sounds like Kadri really wants to go back to Colorado, so do we wait and see if he comes to us a 2nd choice or do we see if there are players on Colorado that we can poach for cheap.

Colorado: I would gladly take Samuel Girard and/or JT Compher. Both players are really underrated, and are on good cap hits, but are players that Colorado could probably afford to lose.

Vancouver: It sounds like they aren't getting the offers they hoped for Miller and are likely keeping him, but Connor Garland could be available, small but chippy, similar to Mangiapane. Tanner Pearson's name is out there, good middle 6 guy who has a history with Sutter.

Tampa: To be honest, I am not sure who they are going to move, but Alex Killorn is a guy who might be available as they just sign Nick Paul who plays a similar role.

Florida: I think they would love to move Patric Hornqvist, but they would probably need a sweetner at this point to be able to move him. I would be all over MacKenzie Weegar, his name has been out there.

Washington: They might be ok, as there is some talk that Backstrom might go on LTIR. I have always been a fan of Lars Eller and wouldn't mind him on our team.

Vegas: They are probably alright as they have Weber's LTIR.

Pittsburgh: Jason Zucker, really has been a failure for them, but maybe we can get him for cheap seeing as we almost traded for him before. John Marino's name has been out there, not sure there is a fit here, but I would at least look at it.

Philadelphia: They were trying to move JVR, but it sounds like it was too costly. Provorov's name has been out there for awhile, he would add a lot to our defense. Travis Konecny's name also pops up frequently and is a guy I would like to add.

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Justin Kirkland signed with Anaheim, I am more disappointed losing him than I am about Gawdin. Kirkland was a good hard nosed guy who put up 20 goals in the AHL and could have played well in a 4th line role for the Flames. Not the end of the world obviously, but still a player I would have liked to see Calgary keep around.

ya by all accounts he was really good in Stockton last year. I don't think he was getting a shot here so I can understand why Anaheim would be attractive to him and Gawdin. 

Sucks for Stockton though. They've taken a big hit this offseason which is why I understand the depth signings yesterday

8 minutes ago, rickross said:

Hopefully BT is in on Klingberg at a decent price! Looks like our D is the teams strength at the moment, might as well get one the elite D msn available. I’d consider Kadri but not at $8.5-9M. As of right now..we’re pretty much an AHL team lol

If we signed Klingberg, then we need to get rid of Hanifin at the least.  Not because he sucks, but Kling will be getting close to $8M.  I would not classify us as an AHL team right now.  We are basically what this team was like missing any key player during an injury.  Or we are what this team was like when the top line wasn't able to score a goal.  A close game.  We need another player no doubt, but we aren't dropping like a stone.

The Flames have a few options moving forward. I have a personal preference but they could all be viable at this time. It just depends on what management feels makes the most sense. Major retool (Good idea), Try to hold and build with minor retool (could work), Full rebuild (unlikely due to management and coaches).

Personally I do not believe Tkachuk is captain material at this time, nor do I think he will ever reach that status for me. Yes he is talented and usually has a ton of drive to do well and hates losing. This is a competitive player, not necessarily a leader. A captain needs to lead in multiple ways as they are the representation of the team. Tkachuk has too many antics that may help win games, but should not be representative of the team. As seen with players like Lanny, Linden, Iginla, Giordano and others, the best captains are great players but are also great people who have the respect of fans from everywhere as well as players from other teams. They are often team oriented and team first. Tkachuk doesn’t have those qualities. He isn’t respected by his own teammates at times, let alone players from other teams. Speaking last summer during his brother’s negotiations he also made it clear that hockey is entirely business and he puts his own benefit above that of the team. No chance at a hometown discount to keep the team together or bring in quality players.

Tkachuk is a great player with things that help the team, but should never be a captain, nor should he be the player to build around. Brad Marchand, Corey Perry and Nazim Kadri are in the same vein for me. Players who are skilled and have that pest mentality, who you hate to play against but love on your team, just should not be captains.

That said, I am not against signing Tkachuk long term, nor am I against trading him now, or later. 

I believe that with Sutter as coach, Treliving has his marching orders to ice a competitive team. He had orders to re-sign Gaudreau at all costs, but according to his Columbus presser, he had no intention of returning and basically said he was signing anywhere but Calgary. 

So if Treliving has been told to have a competitive team, not go into rebuilding, then what pieces are in play to remain on the team and have competitive value, what pieces could / should be moved to gain pieces to remain competitive, and which pieces should be targeted in free agency to improve on what is the current roster?

With Gaudreau walking away, Tkachuk has the most value it would seem. Lindholm and Markstrom would be close considering currently under contract. Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin, and Backlund come next. Mangiapane would be higher if signed but he comes here with Toffoli, Kylington and Dube. Lucic and Monahan likely have limited teams that would find value due to cap hits. Zadorov just re-signed so likely little interest from other teams. Everyone else is basically spare parts from the big club or are still prospects. Vladar is a good backup but there are many similar goalies around the league honestly. Coleman has a full NTC so I didn’t include him.

Players I don’t see moving unless extreme over compensation are Markstrom, Lindholm, Andersson and Tanev. Markstrom you can build around as a high end goalie, Lindholm is a C that any team would love to have but isn’t a build around piece, Andersson is still young but proving his quality at reasonable cost and Tanev is that steadying presence for young players (qualities I look for in a captain).

The value in Tkachuk for me is what he could bring back in a trade. I think Treliving was intrigued by the Jersey offer of 2nd overall plus, but the plus wasn’t enough of an immediate return for staying competitive. Likely did not include Mercer and/or Bratt for example. Adding Palat makes Jersey better, but they obviously have interest in Tkachuk and I would rather send him east to not play him too often. Jersey has 17 million for 3 forwards, 1 D and 1 G (potentially 4 mil more due to Bernier IR). Tkachuk is better than Bratt, also RFA, so no trade straight up. Mercer is stuck behind Hughes and the captain Hischier. They also need to sign Boqvist and Wood.

Would it make sense for both teams to build a package around the following:

Tkachuk, Dube, Valimaki for Tatar, Bratt and Mercer? Possibly picks / prospects included? Tatar is mostly to balance cap. He is not a throw away, but not tons of value either. Middle 6 player who is over 30 and trending down but still serviceable. Dube scored more goals than Tatar and is trending up. Mercer had similar offence to Dube (Mercer rookie year) and has loads of potential while Bratt is above both Mercer and Dube, he is significantly lower than Tkachuk. 

With the Flames signing Bratt to something around 4 mil (Mangiapane had better offence numbers and is looking a at 5-6), you could have

Bratt / Lindholm / Toffoli 

Tatar / Mercer / ??

Mangiapane / Backlund / Coleman 

Lucic / Rooney / Lewis

??

Hanifin / Andersson 

Kylington / Tanev 

Zadorov / Meloche

Mackey

Tatar, Kylington, Bratt and Mangiapane likely come in around 18 million, dropping Valimaki, Dube and Gilbert cap hits would leave 5 mil for another RW and 13th FW.

I left out Monahan because I believe he is being traded regardless. I don’t believe there is much value in trade due to injuries and lack of performance last 2 seasons, but veteran presence on a young team needing to add cap might have some interest. Even if it costs some mid range picks for cap dump, it would be worth it to add 6.4 mil cap space. Just this would bring Flames to 11+ cap left to use.

If you use the space to sign Kadri to 8 mil for example, you would be looking at

Tatar / Kadri / Mercer

Lucic / Rooney / Lewis

and still have 3 mil for 13th forward.

This lineup appears to be competitive, faster, adds some youth and some middle age veteran presence.

Lucic, Tatar and Lewis would all be UFA after next season, opening up around 10 mil cap, but you would have the likes of Markstrom, Bratt, Mangiapane Andersson, Kadri and Coleman signed for at least 3 more years, Lindholm, Tanev, Zadorov, Hanifin, Toffoli, Backlund, Mercer and Rooney for another year. Mercer being RFA at the end of his contract.

Other moves are possible for sure. I would love to bring up Ruzicka but that involves other moves as well. Risk losing some competitive and defensive aspects by trading Backlund to have Ruzicka as third line C? Save on cap for sure. Likely this move comes later depending on how the season is going. If looking well out of playoffs early, then this trade happens quickly. More likely TDL unless Flames are looking strong.

Hopefully Pelletier ready to step up after 1 more year to replace Tatar in middle 6.

Would these lineups likely be cup contenders? Don’t think so, but you never know. Would they likely compete for playoffs? I believe so. Does this look better long term than currently? Yes. Even if we sign Tkachuk long term (likely costing 10+ to do so) I think these lineups look better long term as you are getting 2 top 6 players for the price of 1 and upgrading 2C for multiple years. It is also more balanced offensively without giving up too much defensively and adding speed.

Anyways, just some long winded thoughts.

I think Klingberg is a bit overrated myself, I would rather have Kadri and/or Neiderreiter. Klingberg is a good offensive defenseman, but he is pretty bad in his own end, and really doesn’t use his size at all. I think he can help our offense that’s for sure and would help our PP, that’s the main reason I would target him, but I think a lot of us would end up being frustrated with his brain cramps and poor defensive play.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If we signed Klingberg, then we need to get rid of Hanifin at the least.  Not because he sucks, but Kling will be getting close to $8M.  I would not classify us as an AHL team right now.  We are basically what this team was like missing any key player during an injury.  Or we are what this team was like when the top line wasn't able to score a goal.  A close game.  We need another player no doubt, but we aren't dropping like a stone.

That my worry Is Klingbergs asking price. $6.5M I’m fine with anything above $7M I’d consider overpay. He’s a good D man albeit maybe not a game changing one. 

43 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

The Flames have a few options moving forward. I have a personal preference but they could all be viable at this time. It just depends on what management feels makes the most sense. Major retool (Good idea), Try to hold and build with minor retool (could work), Full rebuild (unlikely due to management and coaches).

Personally I do not believe Tkachuk is captain material at this time, nor do I think he will ever reach that status for me. Yes he is talented and usually has a ton of drive to do well and hates losing. This is a competitive player, not necessarily a leader. A captain needs to lead in multiple ways as they are the representation of the team. Tkachuk has too many antics that may help win games, but should not be representative of the team. As seen with players like Lanny, Linden, Iginla, Giordano and others, the best captains are great players but are also great people who have the respect of fans from everywhere as well as players from other teams. They are often team oriented and team first. Tkachuk doesn’t have those qualities. He isn’t respected by his own teammates at times, let alone players from other teams. Speaking last summer during his brother’s negotiations he also made it clear that hockey is entirely business and he puts his own benefit above that of the team. No chance at a hometown discount to keep the team together or bring in quality players.

Tkachuk is a great player with things that help the team, but should never be a captain, nor should he be the player to build around. Brad Marchand, Corey Perry and Nazim Kadri are in the same vein for me. Players who are skilled and have that pest mentality, who you hate to play against but love on your team, just should not be captains.

That said, I am not against signing Tkachuk long term, nor am I against trading him now, or later. 

I believe that with Sutter as coach, Treliving has his marching orders to ice a competitive team. He had orders to re-sign Gaudreau at all costs, but according to his Columbus presser, he had no intention of returning and basically said he was signing anywhere but Calgary. 

So if Treliving has been told to have a competitive team, not go into rebuilding, then what pieces are in play to remain on the team and have competitive value, what pieces could / should be moved to gain pieces to remain competitive, and which pieces should be targeted in free agency to improve on what is the current roster?

With Gaudreau walking away, Tkachuk has the most value it would seem. Lindholm and Markstrom would be close considering currently under contract. Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin, and Backlund come next. Mangiapane would be higher if signed but he comes here with Toffoli, Kylington and Dube. Lucic and Monahan likely have limited teams that would find value due to cap hits. Zadorov just re-signed so likely little interest from other teams. Everyone else is basically spare parts from the big club or are still prospects. Vladar is a good backup but there are many similar goalies around the league honestly. Coleman has a full NTC so I didn’t include him.

Players I don’t see moving unless extreme over compensation are Markstrom, Lindholm, Andersson and Tanev. Markstrom you can build around as a high end goalie, Lindholm is a C that any team would love to have but isn’t a build around piece, Andersson is still young but proving his quality at reasonable cost and Tanev is that steadying presence for young players (qualities I look for in a captain).

The value in Tkachuk for me is what he could bring back in a trade. I think Treliving was intrigued by the Jersey offer of 2nd overall plus, but the plus wasn’t enough of an immediate return for staying competitive. Likely did not include Mercer and/or Bratt for example. Adding Palat makes Jersey better, but they obviously have interest in Tkachuk and I would rather send him east to not play him too often. Jersey has 17 million for 3 forwards, 1 D and 1 G (potentially 4 mil more due to Bernier IR). Tkachuk is better than Bratt, also RFA, so no trade straight up. Mercer is stuck behind Hughes and the captain Hischier. They also need to sign Boqvist and Wood.

Would it make sense for both teams to build a package around the following:

Tkachuk, Dube, Valimaki for Tatar, Bratt and Mercer? Possibly picks / prospects included? Tatar is mostly to balance cap. He is not a throw away, but not tons of value either. Middle 6 player who is over 30 and trending down but still serviceable. Dube scored more goals than Tatar and is trending up. Mercer had similar offence to Dube (Mercer rookie year) and has loads of potential while Bratt is above both Mercer and Dube, he is significantly lower than Tkachuk. 

With the Flames signing Bratt to something around 4 mil (Mangiapane had better offence numbers and is looking a at 5-6), you could have

Tatar / Mercer / ??

Lucic / Rooney / Lewis

??

Hanifin / Andersson 

Kylington / Tanev 

Zadorov / Meloche

Mackey

Tatar, Kylington, Bratt and Mangiapane likely come in around 18 million, dropping Valimaki, Dube and Gilbert cap hits would leave 5 mil for another RW and 13th FW.

I left out Monahan because I believe he is being traded regardless. I don’t believe there is much value in trade due to injuries and lack of performance last 2 seasons, but veteran presence on a young team needing to add cap might have some interest. Even if it costs some mid range picks for cap dump, it would be worth it to add 6.4 mil cap space. Just this would bring Flames to 11+ cap left to use.

If you use the space to sign Kadri to 8 mil for example, you would be looking at

Tatar / Kadri / Mercer

Lucic / Rooney / Lewis

and still have 3 mil for 13th forward.

This lineup appears to be competitive, faster, adds some youth and some middle age veteran presence.

Lucic, Tatar and Lewis would all be UFA after next season, opening up around 10 mil cap, but you would have the likes of Markstrom, Bratt, Mangiapane Andersson, Kadri and Coleman signed for at least 3 more years, Lindholm, Tanev, Zadorov, Hanifin, Toffoli, Backlund, Mercer and Rooney for another year. Mercer being RFA at the end of his contract.

Other moves are possible for sure. I would love to bring up Ruzicka but that involves other moves as well. Risk losing some competitive and defensive aspects by trading Backlund to have Ruzicka as third line C? Save on cap for sure. Likely this move comes later depending on how the season is going. If looking well out of playoffs early, then this trade happens quickly. More likely TDL unless Flames are looking strong.

Hopefully Pelletier ready to step up after 1 more year to replace Tatar in middle 6.

Would these lineups likely be cup contenders? Don’t think so, but you never know. Would they likely compete for playoffs? I believe so. Does this look better long term than currently? Yes. Even if we sign Tkachuk long term (likely costing 10+ to do so) I think these lineups look better long term as you are getting 2 top 6 players for the price of 1 and upgrading 2C for multiple years. It is also more balanced offensively without giving up too much defensively and adding speed.

Anyways, just some long winded thoughts.

Tkachuk decides our fate.  If he takes a one year QO then that means we are forced to trade him and go full rebuild.  If he signs long term then we need a retool to some degree... Pivot to Kadri as a top priority to give us a #2 Center... Short of Kadri we're hooped.  Hard to trade for a #2 Center... Plus we still need a #1 LD.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk decides our fate.  If he takes a one year QO then that means we are forced to trade him and go full rebuild.  If he signs long term then we need a retool to some degree... Pivot to Kadri as a top priority to give us a #2 Center... Short of Kadri we're hooped.  Hard to trade for a #2 Center... Plus we still need a #1 LD.

I'd think it would depend on what the return for tkachuk is ..somebodys strength is our weakness 

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Klingberg is a bit overrated myself, I would rather have Kadri and/or Neiderreiter. Klingberg is a good offensive defenseman, but he is pretty bad in his own end, and really doesn’t use his size at all. I think he can help our offense that’s for sure and would help our PP, that’s the main reason I would target him, but I think a lot of us would end up being frustrated with his brain cramps and poor defensive play.

Kling and Tkachuk can fight every practice.

I agree that moving forward means signing or trading for a big name.

A trade has to occur anyway to gain some cap.

A trade for a top player might help.

As demonstrated in my long post, I think Bratt would do well with Lindholm and Toffoli on top line. Bratt can score himself but also passes a lot for assists. Toffoli is more of a shooter and needs a setup man which I think Bratt could be. There may be better options, but this is based off a trade that could work for both sides. I also mentioned getting Kadri.

I just don’t think Tkachuk is a player to build around, and without having a forward like MacKinnon, McDavid, Matthews etc to build around, then you need to build from elsewhere (such as in net with Markstrom). If you start in net then you look at D. Flames have some hard nosed D specialists in Tanev, Meloche (future Kuznetsov), some very good puck movers in Hanifin, Kylington, (future Poirier), a very good all rounder in Andersson and another all rounder in Zadorov.

If you build with what we have now and in pipeline, you need speed and skill to play transition hockey. This is not a Tkachuk specialty. Get good return for him and you don’t need to go tear down rebuild, just retool based on returns.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'd think it would depend on what the return for tkachuk is ..somebodys strength is our weakness 

We HAVE to trade him if he takes one year right?  I don't care if we are #1 in the division at the TDL because the future is much more important.  We have to think long term.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We HAVE to trade him if he takes one year right?  I don't care if we are #1 in the division at the TDL because the future is much more important.  We have to think long term.

I seriously think his option of signing for 1 year is no chance.  He has to go long term here or ask (quietly) for a trade.  One year without JH is like last year under Wardo.  But, that is the way we sit today.  If BT is able to land Kadri, we have options for top line.  If we sign Kadri + get a player like Laine (so argument sake), then he can shift to LW and we have two possible sniping lines.  And Tkachuk can tee up one timers for Laine and Lindy and get 70 assists. 

If there is no deal prior to arbitration, then we gotta trade him.  That's as bad as signing the QO.      

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh totally..  I just mean trading Chucky isn't necessarily the start of a rebuild .. like picks and prospects ..could actually make a hockey trade out of it and be just as competitive as we were with him .. 

Like if he gets us a #2 center for example ..maybe a good winger who can play until a prospect catches up..

I had used the example , just for illustration.. trade him in a deal for Kyrou and Tarasenko ..sure Tarasenko hasn't got lots of years left but he's got enough well still be good until one of those kids is ready 

But absolutely  forget the TDL..his value only drops over the season..he should not hit the Ice here at all  on a one year deal