2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

When the Flames originally acquired Zadorov, I wondered if Zadorov would look for term. He had bounced around a bit. Ultimately, he took the 1yr deal and looked like he priced himself out of CGY. Obviously the 4.5x4 market didn't materialize.

Never thought Gudbranson would get paid more than Zadorov

its possible that he hated playing in  Calgary until last year when we finally got players to stick up for him (something I think the league needs to do a better job of). Gudbranson was a big presence. Lucic sometimes backed down when a message needed to be sent. But with Gudbranson in, and Zadorov, I think it gave him room. 

not saying Gudbranson is the reason, but I wonder if the fact Jersey has a lot of young players and teams seem to pound younger players because that’s how they beat them. Plus maybe size of some of their other stars. I don’t know if jersey would have the crew to protect him. Maybe he looked at someone’s posted first like on here and said, oh Satoshi Nakamoto! My hands can’t take that punishment anymore. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think one of Mackey or Valimaki can replace Kylington pretty easily and probably be even better.

Also let’s not forget that Tanev could miss a big portion of the season.

Valimaki couldn’t replace Kylington last year, and you would have to prove the stats are favouring replacing Kylington.  I still think, as I have mentioned before, we haven’t seen all Kylington has to offer.

• Like 1

Now that the draft has passed, I wonder if NJ would deal Simon Nemec for Tkachuk.

It's one thing to say they were willing to move the 2nd pick, a little different though when they've selected the player. Reminds me a bit of MTL trading Sergachev for Drouin less than a year after drafting him.

NJ has a lot of cap room now and some pressure to start winning. Nemec is the exact type of prospect CGY needs in a Tkachuk deal. A stud player at a position of weakness. 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

UFA has really thinned out.

There are three players remaining that could help mitigate the loss of Gaudreau

Kadri

Palat

Niedereitter

Maybe the Flames circle back on Jarnkrok in a few days.

There's not a ton left, the Flames may use their cap space via trade

i vote Palat and Niedereitter. 

go Lindholm, Backlund, Ruzicka, New Guy just signed for the C’s. 

Mangiapane, Lindholm, Tkachuk 

Palat, Backlund, Nieder

Coleman, Jarnkrok, Dube

Lucic, Rooney, Lewis 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Now that the draft has passed, I wonder if NJ would deal Simon Nemec for Tkachuk.

It's one thing to say they were willing to move the 2nd pick, a little different though when they've selected the player. Reminds me a bit of MTL trading Sergachev for Drouin less than a year after drafting him.

NJ has a lot of cap room now and some pressure to start winning. Nemec is the exact type of prospect CGY needs in a Tkachuk deal. A stud player at a position of weakness. 

i like the idea of Tkachuk decides to only go the one year route. Can’t lose two cornerstones two years in a row for nothing.

10 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Valimaki couldn’t replace Kylington last year, and you would have to prove the stats are favouring replacing Kylington.  I still think, as I have mentioned before, we haven’t seen all Kylington has to offer.

i agree. I think he’s starting to understand his limitations and once he finally figures it all out, maybe he’ll be a star? 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

i like the idea of Tkachuk decides to only go the one year route. Can’t lose two cornerstones two years in a row for nothing.

Absolutely not and I hope they act quickly on it. Find out right away if he's in or not. I have said this many times, I think he badly wants to be the captain and if the Flames use that as a carrot he may want to stay.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Knowing BT, i'm not so confident anymore because the orders are coming from above him.  If Tkachuk takes a one year QO, then BT will sell us the notion that Tkachuk is our TDL acquisition and we're going for the Cup this year.  And then be all shocked that Tkachuk doesn't stay next summer.

Given what just happened with Gaudreau, BT and ownership needs to realize that they have much much more understanding fans if this team decides to go full tear down.  They can blame Gaudreau and Tkachuk for not staying, etc.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Knowing BT, i'm not so confident anymore because the orders are coming from above him.  If Tkachuk takes a one year QO, then BT will sell us the notion that Tkachuk is our TDL acquisition and we're going for the Cup this year.  And then be all shocked that Tkachuk doesn't stay next summer.

Tkachuk signs long term at a $ BT likes or he is gone this summer. 

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

Yups.  Fans will understand what needs to be done and support the team in trading Tkachuk.  After experiencing Gaudreau walk for nothing, there will be lots of understanding fans who will accept short term pain for long term gain and stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

If he's smart..and I think he is .Johnny gone only makes him want to stay more . For the first time the door is open to be his team.. 

And also , we need to really try and get Puljjaarvi now ..not only for the benefit of what I believe he can do here..but let's get a 13 on the ice for opening night 😁

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  Fans will understand what needs to be done and support the team in trading Tkachuk.  After experiencing Gaudreau walk for nothing, there will be lots of understanding fans who will accept short term pain for long term gain and stuff like that.

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If he's smart..and I think he is .Johnny gone only makes him want to stay more . For the first time the door is open to be his team.. 

And also , we need to really try and get Puljjaarvi now ..not only for the benefit of what I believe he can do here..but let's get a 13 on the ice for opening night 😁

Replacing #13 with Pooly is just so wrong.  

As to Tkachuk, I have no idea.  I doubt he wants to sign a one year deal now.  Won't get the career numbers.  Won't get to write his own ticket.  If he's too expensive, trade him.  Have a team to build.  Then again, I don't know what that number should be.  I wish we hadn't leaked (or allowed it to be leaked) his offer here.  It ust makes Tkachuk think he can get that now.    

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think MT is captain material, but does he want to be here? Same questions we had with JHG. I see MT in more of a supporting role (aka Ladeskog), we are missing the McKinnon, Rantanin, Makar types.

MT may want a number bigger than JHG just got long term. Is he worth it? Are we going to invest those $$'s in poor skating MT hoping to beat the team up north?

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Kylington just isn’t a 2nd pairing guy, but Tanev is that good, that he made him look like a 2nd pairing guy. I think both Mackey and Valimaki are better players right now than Kylington is.

I wouldn’t pay him anything more than 2x$2m, and my guess is he is looking for more, so I would trade him while his value is high.

I think we need to remember that Kylington (unlike Andersson) was not given much opportunity prior to this season and definitely earned his spot in the lineup.

He is still fairly raw at the NHL level and I believe he still has more to give, just needs more experience l.

I'm hesitant to deal him right now, especially since we don't really have a replacement at the moment.

I like the Landeskog comparison. Personally I don’t think Tkachuk is the type of player you build around, I think he is great player to have as part of your core, but he isn’t that number 1 guy.

I don’t want to pay him north of $9m on a long term deal. I have my doubts that he wants to be here long term. 

I know it would tough to lose both Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the same offseason, but unless Tkachuk is willing to sign 8x$9m tomorrow, I think Treliving has to look at moving him. I don’t think he can wait to see how it plays out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like the Landeskog comparison. Personally I don’t think Tkachuk is the type of player you build around, I think he is great player to have as part of your core, but he isn’t that number 1 guy.

I don’t want to pay him north of $9m on a long term deal. I have my doubts that he wants to be here long term. 

I know it would tough to lose both Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the same offseason, but unless Tkachuk is willing to sign 8x$9m tomorrow, I think Treliving has to look at moving him. I don’t think he can wait to see how it plays out.

Really losing one of the two was going to be hard.  I expected Tkachuk to be the problem child getting signed.  Maybe we should think about trading Tkachuk for a franchise C.  We have always built around wingers and it's never worked out.  I dunno.  We don't have any captain yet for next season.  Is Vegas wanting to move Eichel?  LOL

Look how TB lock up their key pieces yesterday by spending 160M.  BT has no idea how to build Stanley Cup winning team, he just doesn’t have the guts to do it.  We didn’t even take chance on Kane knowing he is Flames killer. Look how Edmonton did this year to lock key players.  Seriously, this organisation has some serious issues right now.  When you got players starting from Adam Fox didn’t want to play for you, now Johnny.  There is some issues need to be fixed here, Flames wasn’t like that before.  It doesn’t matter how Fans are great here etc, players are not interested to come here, maybe we didn’t treat them right.  Who is gonna come now?  It’s pretty scary.  

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Really losing one of the two was going to be hard.  I expected Tkachuk to be the problem child getting signed.  Maybe we should think about trading Tkachuk for a franchise C.  We have always built around wingers and it's never worked out.  I dunno.  We don't have any captain yet for next season.  Is Vegas wanting to move Eichel?  LOL

Trading Tkachuk or Johnny needs a gutsy move.  BT doesn’t have the balls to do it, then he end up losing them for nothing.  If Tkachuk only wants 1 year deal, trade him.  Same for any players if they have no intention to stay.  

Columbus has to clear salary now.

I would have interest in Gus Nyquist. Only 1yr left at 5.5. Quietly had a really nice season, coming up just one point of tying a career high

If BT can get him for almost nothing (Pacioretty deal), that’s something they should really consider 

2 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Trading Tkachuk or Johnny needs a gutsy move.  BT doesn’t have the balls to do it, then he end up losing them for nothing.  If Tkachuk only wants 1 year deal, trade him.  Same for any players if they have no intention to stay.  

I guarantee by won't get burned that way again.. Johnny played him.. said all the things that made everyone believe he wanted to be here ..all he wanted was to have a career year and cash in 

I will say no way does tkachuk play his next game here on a year deal 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Look how TB lock up their key pieces yesterday by spending 160M.  BT has no idea how to build Stanley Cup winning team, he just doesn’t have the guts to do it.  We didn’t even take chance on Kane knowing he is Flames killer. Look how Edmonton did this year to lock key players.  Seriously, this organisation has some serious issues right now.  When you got players starting from Adam Fox didn’t want to play for you, now Johnny.  There is some issues need to be fixed here, Flames wasn’t like that before.  It doesn’t matter how Fans are great here etc, players are not interested to come here, maybe we didn’t treat them right.  Who is gonna come now?  It’s pretty scary.  

Every team in the NHL was looking at Kane.  He went to a place where the fans would only talk about his goal scoring.  And he picked a place that had a top 3 spot open and allow him to prove he could still score.  But the thing is, he could still end up back in SJ.  EDM isn't exactly the model of running a team.  They don't have enough to sign their RFA's.  They can go over the cap by about $6M because they have a goalie that gets injured when he skates onto the ice and a long term guy that won't come back.  But that doesn't mean they can keep everyone.  

Enough about them.  It's pretty easy to resign every player you have when you are in the finals 3 years in a row. Palat had to go to and I suspect that Tampa still needs to get rid of at least one more player.  Probably Kilorn.     

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I guarantee by won't get burned that way again.. Johnny played him.. said all the things that made everyone believe he wanted to be here ..all he wanted was to have a career year and cash in 

I will say no way does tkachuk play his next game here on a year deal 

I would imagine that Tkachuk is really angry at the way it enfolded.  He's the bridesmaid and now has to decide if he wants to be part of the embers that remain.  That's way over the top of course.  It's within his rights to accept the QO, but I think he wants to hear the offer first.  He signs the one year and he knows he is done here.

I'll preface this by saying i'm not really concerned about FA but here are the remaining names I like/could make sense:

Kadri - I really don't think it's going to happen and i'm not actually sure I want it to given the contract he'll get but he checks a lot of boxes

Klingberg - He is a RS so the fit isn't perfect but it's a skill set they really need. Good in transition and on the PP. 

Nino Niederreiter - I'm a bit fan of his. 29 years old so not the most attractive contract but he's basically a better version of Tyler Toffoli. Can put the puck in the net and would replace some goals. 

Evan Rodrigues - One of the most underrated UFAs. Not likely a top 6 option but he gives you a really good middle 6 center option. I think Sutter would love him. 

Sonny Milano - Flames lack playmakers and this guy is a good one. Problem being I don't see a great roster fit. 

That's about it though. Not seeing anyone else I would have much interest in. 

But until they figure out Tkachuk I don't think FA makes much sense. Either get an extension done or start looking to trade him. 

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'll preface this by saying i'm not really concerned about FA but here are the remaining names I like/could make sense:

Kadri - I really don't think it's going to happen and i'm not actually sure I want it to given the contract he'll get but he checks a lot of boxes

Klingberg - He is a RS so the fit isn't perfect but it's a skill set they really need. Good in transition and on the PP. 

Nino Niederreiter - I'm a bit fan of his. 29 years old so not the most attractive contract but he's basically a better version of Tyler Toffoli. Can put the puck in the net and would replace some goals. 

Evan Rodrigues - One of the most underrated UFAs. Not likely a top 6 option but he gives you a really good middle 6 center option. I think Sutter would love him. 

Sonny Milano - Flames lack playmakers and this guy is a good one. Problem being I don't see a great roster fit. 

That's about it though. Not seeing anyone else I would have much interest in. 

But until they figure out Tkachuk I don't think FA makes much sense. Either get an extension done or start looking to trade him. 

Kadri

An interesting case, is definitely someone that gives you a decent playoffs, but his age scares me.  Likely to sign a 7 year deal from a team that is okay buying out his last couple of years.  Would have to be front loaded to make that work.  Scary deal. 

Nino

More a goal scorer than playmaker, so would work with Tkachuk or Lindy feeding him.  The age isn't too bad, just can't give him longer than 5 years really.  Might be a good finisher on the PP.  Right now we have no playmaker for the PP.  That could be our new weakness.

Milano

Should be fairly cheap.  And I think he could do well as a setup guy.  Not top 3 material, but could work on a 2nd scoring line.  But we really don't have one of those yet.

There isn't any others that really jump out.  Rem Pitlick seemed to play well in MTL, but no major benefit to him.  I think we might have to explore trades to improve.  Monahan is unlikely to recover his form, so that's just a waste now.  If there is any interest in Lucic, I would look for it.  That's subtracting players, so if we have a way of improving by dangling Kylington for a forward, or using Dube for a different player that better fits, then we should do it.  Or explore any trades where we take on a bit of cap and get a sweetener.  Have to have the cap though.