2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

These signings are likely what was already considered/planned regardless of Gaudreau. Bottom 6 F, young bottom pair, physical D man. Is he basically a younger, cheaper Gudbranson? 

Rooney over Ritchie?

I see a lot of work still to do.

Just now, bosn111 said:

These signings are likely what was already considered/planned regardless of Gaudreau. Bottom 6 F, young bottom pair, physical D man. Is he basically a younger, cheaper Gudbranson? 

Rooney over Ritchie?

Was there a specific need to sign Rooney this soon?

The D is no big deal since you can always waive him.

What type of team does Rooney make?

Ruzie is better at putting the puck in the net.

1 minute ago, bosn111 said:

Rooney over Ritchie?

It appers that this was the plan before he got kicked in the balls last night

I have no idea on Rooney. Neither supporting, nor upset about. All I see for him are stats which are inconsistent.

Can be physical, but inconsistent year by year. Good, not great +/-, more offence than Ritchie (not much but still). To me, he is 4th line and honestly the extra money spent isn’t crazy compared to Lazar etc.

I don’t see Rooney as blocking young guys. He may add competition, but that salary allows him to be sent to the A and if claimed off waivers, not a huge loss since put on waivers anyways.

As I said, these are likely just pieces that had been part of Plan A, so just get them anyways as you look for plan B/C.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Yesterday: "Treliving better not make a panic signing"

Today after not making a panic signing so far: " WTF Tree do something"

Sounds like typical fan reaction I suppose. 

For me it’s the type of player that he has signed today and the money they gave Rooney was too much.

Things we have to remember about Sutter. He doesn't like using rookies on his 4th line, you better play fast and you better be better not be a liability in your own zone. 

That is Rooney. He had a down year last year but prior to that he was a solid defensive center. While I by no means suggest anyone get excited about this, the fit makes a lot of sense. 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For me it’s the type of player that he has signed today and the money they gave Rooney was too much.

is it really though?

Again a down year (and should be pointed out that the Rangers were a bad 5 on 5 team last year so most players took a dip there) but over his career he's been a solid 4th line center. Market for that is usually 1-1.5

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The fact is the larger names have not fallen is simply based on asking value and term. Outside of JG who has known for awhile where he will land. Tre not should must put in place players to add close to what we lost. As far as not making a panic move we do know one thing is his patients tends to put the club in Satoshi Nakamototy spots regularly.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm really happy he hasn't gone out and revenge signed Kadri.  The right move to make is actually no move because the right direction to go is down before we go back up in a year or two.

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The fact is the larger names have not fallen is simply based on asking value and term. Outside of JG who has known for awhile where he will land. Tre not should must put in place players to add close to what we lost. As far as not making a panic move we do know one thing is his patients tends to put the club in Satoshi Nakamototy spots regularly.

You are not going to replace Gaudreau in FA.

I think what is getting missed here is Plan B isn't rushing out to replace Gaudreau. Plan B is making sure Tkachuk is on board for the long haul because if he isn't then your offseason changes dramatically and you probably live to forget any deal you would sign today. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You are not going to replace Gaudreau in FA.

I think what is getting missed here is Plan B isn't rushing out to replace Gaudreau. Plan B is making sure Tkachuk is on board for the long haul because if he isn't then your offseason changes dramatically and you probably live to forget any deal you would sign today. 

The fact is he put him self in this spot!!! Both players SHOULD have been dealt with weeks ago. The fact that we are now chasing a run away wagon with broken legs doesn't help. Are your not going to replace what JG brought in a UFA market,no I get that, but your also not going to replace it internally, another poor startegic move by our GM. So based on blind faith, poor planning your now forced to do things that were you never projected would happen. As far as Plan B, so plan A kicks you in the balls and you now need an answer from plan B, whcih has already been provided far to much. Your now forced to actively search for an answer from Plan B hurry before you can activate plan C, some soild GM skills there. 

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The fact is he put him self in this spot!!! Both players SHOULD have been dealt with weeks ago. The fact that we are now chasing a run away wagon with broken legs doesn't help. Are your not going to replace what JG brought in a UFA market,no I get that, but your also not going to replace it internally, another poor startegic move by our GM. So based on blind faith, poor planning your now forced to do things that were you never projected would happen. As far as Plan B, so plan A kicks you in the balls and you now need an answer from plan B, whcih has already been provided far to much. Your now forced to actively search for an answer from Plan B hurry before you can activate plan C, some soild GM skills there. 

BT was asked in the presser if he considered trading Gaudreau's rights to someone else during the negotiation process.  His answer was abrupt, quick, assertive, and interesting.  He said, "that was not an option".  

To me, that sounds like he received direct orders to get Gaudreau signed from ownership.  No other option was considered.  BT and ownership was all in.