2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

They gave him the Gaudreau offer 10.5x8

It's a lot. I'm of the mind though that it's easier to build around star players than it is to acquire star players. Make it work

This is a big time move, well done BT. An extended Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and a 1st is a win

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

They gave him the Gaudreau offer 10.5x8

It's a lot. I'm of the mind though that it's easier to build around star players than it is to acquire star players. Make it work

This is a big time move, well done BT. An extended Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and a 1st is a win

Yep . Like I said before .. the Trade was a win.. sign Huberdeau its a home run..  sign em both and Zito can't walk for a week 😁

You can argue it's 1yr too long given that he has 1yr remaining, you've now got him for 9yrs.

That being said, it's the same deal the Flames had on the table for Gaudreau and I seem to remember a lot of fans being upset to see him go.

There will be pain towards the end of the deal, no question. But the Flames weren't in the position to lose him for nothing and the nature of the Pacific division will make an in-season deal almost impossible. The Flames are going to be in the mix at worst. Also, to be honest, it's very likely BT isn't the GM when this deal hurts so I'm sure that makes it easier to give out that deal

Needed to get him signed, the back end of this deal is probably going to be really rough, but you deal with that later.

Huberdeau is one of the most productive players in the league. To get him under contract is big for the organization.

At the end of the day it’s the same deal they were ready to give Gaudreau, just with an extra year on it (this coming season).

Now let’s get the Weegar deal done.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The flames needed to get this done and get this done soon. Treliving did the right thing by getting on it and not letting it linger. 

but that’s a bad contract. 

Were you ok with 10.5 for Johnny?  Same talent same age .. I'd say he brings more 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Were you ok with 10.5 for Johnny?  Same talent same age .. I'd say he brings more 

The one issue some may have is that it doesn't kick-in until 1yr later than Johnny's deal. So in theory you can argue that it should be less money or only a 7yr deal.

In reality though you were selling Alberta winters on a guy coming from Florida. Not exactly easy and it was always going to be an "overpay".

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The one issue some may have is that it doesn't kick-in until 1yr later than Johnny's deal. So in theory you can argue that it should be less money or only a 7yr deal.

In reality though you were selling Alberta winters on a guy coming from Florida. Not exactly easy and it was always going to be an "overpay".

Ya but don't forget .he may have been in Florida but he grew up in Montreal.. he knows winter .. plus he knows Canadian markets ..

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya but don't forget .he may have been in Florida but he grew up in Montreal.. he knows winter .. plus he knows Canadian markets ..

Yes, absolutely.

It was always going to be too much term and money. Would have been the same if Gaudreau signed. The hope is that you get 5-6 great years out of it. But for the Flames to extend a player like Huberdeau is a major feat for this organization

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

A little surprised that they structured the deal this way, but they couldn’t afford to not sign him.

That's actually not bad.. last 2 years if we really want out that can be moved ..

But with Walsh as an agent I totally expected a signing bonus heavy deal..  they pay less escrow so makes up a bit for the tax difference .. plus he gets security 

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not really no but this is also a player a year older so now signed longer.  This is going to hurt more. 

but as I said in both cases the flames didn’t exactly have a choice. 

5 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

Time to put to bed the notion that Calgary was the issue with Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Fox. I never want to hear that garbage again, personally. Sure we may have to pay more due to taxes and climate, but I don’t think it had this huge effect.

Anyone who doesn't want to live in Calgary is an idiot.

Unfortunately that includes our ownership so maybe part of the problem is there. 

We could stand to have a few more Canadian stars who are less dramatic.  I'd rather cheer for then anyway.

Huberdeau is a fantastic step