2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I feel the only way we can get Barzal is if the Islanders do sign Kadri so I'm watching that closely.  After that, Hanifin + Monahan (50% retained) could form a basis of a trade for Barzal.  NYI could be interested in adding a top 4 LD.  And seems they like Monahan.

I get what you are saying, but subtract just $7M while adding $7M+ doesn't really help then this year.  For sure it helps next year.  Right now they have $11M to sign Bellows, Dobson and Romanov.  We can't really take any cap dumps this season unless we moved Lucic separately.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a solid move.  I think we would need to take Bailey and send back Dube to help make the money work.  We then waive Valimaki and Mackey is the 7th D.  Move Lucic.  It seems like a mega deal and They only get a younger Dube and older Kadri, while giving up Bailey and Barzal.  They would really have to love Hanifin and Monahan to do it.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I feel the only way we can get Barzal is if the Islanders do sign Kadri so I'm watching that closely.  After that, Hanifin + Monahan (50% retained) could form a basis of a trade for Barzal.  NYI could be interested in adding a top 4 LD.  And seems they like Monahan.

I don't see what this does for them.  They gave up a lot for Romanov and I don't think they did that to let him be a 3rd pairing guy, so I don't get why Hanifin is a need for them, probably an upgrade over Pelech-Romanov and Aho on the left side, but not a desperate need.  I don't think Kadri does anything for Barzal staying or leaving, the Islanders have others they can move to clear, saying they need to move Barzal for cap reasons is like saying the Flames would've needed to move Lindholm and Andersson to be able to sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  Sorry to all the Barzal dreamers, but unless he goes Eichel, he ain't going anywhere this summer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't see what this does for them.  They gave up a lot for Romanov and I don't think they did that to let him be a 3rd pairing guy, so I don't get why Hanifin is a need for them, probably an upgrade over Pelech-Romanov and Aho on the left side, but not a desperate need.  I don't think Kadri does anything for Barzal staying or leaving, the Islanders have others they can move to clear, saying they need to move Barzal for cap reasons is like saying the Flames would've needed to move Lindholm and Andersson to be able to sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  Sorry to all the Barzal dreamers, but unless he goes Eichel, he ain't going anywhere this summer.

I know.  It's a dream for sure but just saying, without Kadri, they need a Center to eat big minutes so they can't trade Barzal.  Kadri was point per game last season so could overthrow Barzal as #1 Center in NYI.

Barzal is a $7-mil cap hit but his base salary this year is $10-million.  So QO is $10-million.  It's said bridges were burnt in the last contract negotiations.

He may not go Eichel but he's going Tkachuk.  High QO which leads to a one-year deal and UFA.  NYI can do better than Hanifin + Monahan though...

Anyways, just dreaming out loud.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I know.  It's a dream for sure but just saying, without Kadri, they need a Center to eat big minutes so they can't trade Barzal.  Kadri was point per game last season so could overthrow Barzal as #1 Center in NYI.

Barzal is a $7-mil cap hit but his base salary this year is $10-million.  So QO is $10-million.  It's said bridges were burnt in the last contract negotiations.

He may not go Eichel but he's going Tkachuk.  High QO which leads to a one-year deal and UFA.  NYI can do better than Hanifin + Monahan though...

Kadri really benefited from Mackinnon missing time early and playing on that PP, Kadri will need to prove it wasn't a fluke last year, calling him a #1 C based off last year is like calling Chris Kreider an elite goal scorer, a lot of numbers were out of whack last season and I think a lot of GM's have either smartened up or been hamstrung by the flat cap, but the fact he has gone 20 days without signing means there is a some hesitancy.  I don't put too much in previous negotiations, as many have smoothed things over in the past.  If he didn't like Trotz, hows he going to do with Sutter?

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Love Barzel but I think he would cost a lot. What happens is we seen really unrealistic trade options, I seen one for Hubie Weegar to the Habs for Drouin LMAO. The cost for Barzel would be something like Lindholm Tanev Zary and a 1st, this is very similar to what Chucky got us, kind of where market value is for this type of player. Love the idea but its a steep price to pay. Our only option right now to shed cap space and move players is simply to add picks or prospects to move them. I would be fine going into the season with Mony, but either Lucic has to retire or IMHO he is going to be a 5 Million plus popcorn eater. With as bad as the bottom six is, he just drags it deeper into despair. Unfortunaley we are now in the IF stage for some prospects which doesn't sit well with me, but it is what it is 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Kadri really benefited from Mackinnon missing time early and playing on that PP, Kadri will need to prove it wasn't a fluke last year, calling him a #1 C based off last year is like calling Chris Kreider an elite goal scorer, a lot of numbers were out of whack last season and I think a lot of GM's have either smartened up or been hamstrung by the flat cap, but the fact he has gone 20 days without signing means there is a some hesitancy.  I don't put too much in previous negotiations, as many have smoothed things over in the past.  If he didn't like Trotz, hows he going to do with Sutter?

Yups not saying Kadri should overthrow Barzal but just saying that NYI could view it that way.  Barzal is the better offensive threat.

I don’t want to derail the Barzal train, and me and @travel_dudehave conversed about Nicolas Roy already. But he didn’t opt for Arbitration this year and it’s been reported he’s looking at $3 on a longer term deal. He’s a 6’4” 205 lb RHS RW or C. Who plays a hard power forward game. If we were to offer sheet him for $3.5 - $4, I don’t think Vegas can match as they are already over the cap, and have 3 - 4 players to sign. It would cost us a second. Is that a player to consider, and is it worth the 2nd?

6 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I don’t want to derail the Barzal train, and me and @travel_dudehave conversed about Nicolas Roy already. But he didn’t opt for Arbitration this year and it’s been reported he’s looking at $3 on a longer term deal. He’s a 6’4” 205 lb RHS RW or C. Who plays a hard power forward game. If we were to offer sheet him for $3.5 - $4, I don’t think Vegas can match as they are already over the cap, and have 3 - 4 players to sign. It would cost us a second. Is that a player to consider, and is it worth the 2nd?

I don't know if an OS works.  Vegas would match and just trade someone else, which they love doing anyway.  I think we have to give up assets to make the deal really work.  Give them something they want that helps their cap.  No, I don't want to help them clear cap, but would love to send them an excess D for a C.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know if an OS works.  Vegas would match and just trade someone else, which they love doing anyway.  I think we have to give up assets to make the deal really work.  Give them something they want that helps their cap.  No, I don't want to help them clear cap, but would love to send them an excess D for a C.

Do you think Valimaki is enough on his own? 

44 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd assume we'd like to add 2 more forwards? Even with Ruzicka and Pelletier we're at 12f...

It's hard to visualize who we could add beyond losing Lucic's cap hit.

Are we going back to Brett Ritchie?

edit

oops, 13 forwards with Monahan.

Just graduate one of Duehr or Pospisil.  Done and done.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya pretty brutal knowing Gaudreau was going to leave all year from within the dressing room.  BT should've known and got something for him.

I didn't see that as being "everyone knew".  Did they think he might sign elsewhere?  Didn't seem to hurt the team in the regular season.  

But to your point, if they knew it this season, what could BT do after TDL?  Trade for a 3rd?  Maybe.

I don't know that CBJ would have dealt anything.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I didn't see that as being "everyone knew".  Did they think he might sign elsewhere?  Didn't seem to hurt the team in the regular season.  

But to your point, if they knew it this season, what could BT do after TDL?  Trade for a 3rd?  Maybe.

I don't know that CBJ would have dealt anything.

A 3rd would have been nice.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

A 3rd would have been nice.

I think by putting out there that we were trading his rights would signal a team could just wait for FA.

Besides, at the time, we were supposedly negotiating in good faith with the agent.

His last signal was he would love to sign if they wanted him and made the right pitch.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am a little surprised Raffl signed to play in the Swiss League. I thought he was pretty effective for Dallas against us in the playoffs. I wouldn’t have minded singing him on a league minimum deal.

Yes, I thought the same thing.

Maybe he was expecting a lowball offer (probably had one) and the Swiss beat that by a mile with 2 years.

I doubt Tanev would have enjoyed him being a teammate.

LOL

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya pretty brutal knowing Gaudreau was going to leave all year from within the dressing room.  BT should've known and got something for him.

Pretty big reach from a guy who's currently losing his Satoshi Nakamoto because Ryan Leslie tweeted eyeballs.

• Like 1

If no further moves are made, these are my lines

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Coleman-Backlund-Toffoli

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Weegar

• I know it looks like I have Weegar on the 3rd pair, I don't. I think Sutter will use all three pairs fairly evenly, whichever pair is playing the best will play the most. If Tanev isn't ready for opening night, I think Meloche draws in and Kylington-Weegar would be a pair.
  • Right now, I think it's Mang or Lindholm for top line RW. I'd go with Mangiapane. Dube could make a push for a top 6 job.
  • I don't see a great fit in the lineup for Monahan. Maybe it's in Ruzicka's spot, although I'm not sure he's better than Ruzicka right now. Maybe it's a timeshare between Rooney and Monahan.
  • My extras would be Monahan, Meloche and Mackey. Don't see a fit for Valimaki, I think he will pass through waivers in camp though, not many teams can take on 1.55 at a time where they're looking to trim down their roster rather than add. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Coleman-Backlund-Toffoli

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

These are mine

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Pelletier-Rooney/Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

• My extras would be Monahan, Meloche and Mackey. Don't see a fit for Valimaki, I think he will pass through waivers in camp though, not many teams can take on 1.55 at a time where they're looking to trim down their roster rather than add. 

He might pass .he might not.. I personally don't think BT wouid even risk it. That wouid be utter distater .

His 3 prize 1st rounders , Bennett was a dud.. tkachuk decided to be leave .. vakimaki lost on waivers would be unacceptable..  better to get a pick or something then lose him for nothing .. if juolevi can get traded then Valimaki definitely has value to some team 

I’m still chomping at the bit for a 2C…

- I like @travel_dude and @pikey7883 suggesting Roy, if there’s a way to squeeze VGK for Roy I’m all for it. 

- @The_People1 and I both think there’s a potential path to acquire Barzal, though, his cap hit, actual salary, qualifying offer, and the fact that NYI needs to sign other players makes this complex. 

- I’d be on-board with signing Stastny, a frugal move that costs us $ only and no assets at all

- And today I started wondering about Schieffle again. Sure, he smoothed over some of his negative remarks to the media when he supported the recent hiring of Bowness. But, WPG is in a tough spot right now with 2 of their centers (the Dubois situation and Stastny’s comments about Schieffle being unprofessional and a problem in the room and his poor play). 

Im all for the aforementioned acquisitions, but I almost feel like trading for Schieffle would resemble a Brad Treliving move. 
- Scheiffle has only 2 seasons left on his contract at $6.1 and he’s 29. This aligns with the age group, term, and cap hit BT’s been targeting. 
- He also has a M-NTC

- We’d have to offer something significant back, and WPG is sitting on quite a bit of cap space with a few roster spots to fill and a few players left to sign.