2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

So does our current roster strike fear into the opposition; we are weaker at the top and really weak at the bottom.  You simply can't have a 6 million 3rd liner and a 5 plus million 4th liner. We know Backs line is solid, Hubie and lindholm will be dynamic but Toffoli may bring them down. Could elevating Mags help the first line, possibly but than you just unbalanced everything to being really top line heavy.  The elephant in the room right now is Looch.

Hubie lindhom Toffoli

Mags Backs Coleman

?  Monahan Dube

Lucic Lewis Rooney 

22 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So does our current roster strike fear into the opposition; we are weaker at the top and really weak at the bottom.  You simply can't have a 6 million 3rd liner and a 5 plus million 4th liner. We know Backs line is solid, Hubie and lindholm will be dynamic but Toffoli may bring them down. Could elevating Mags help the first line, possibly but than you just unbalanced everything to being really top line heavy.  The elephant in the room right now is Looch.

Hubie lindhom Toffoli

Mags Backs Coleman

?  Monahan Dube

Lucic Lewis Rooney 

The Tkachuk deal brought back some high end skill and some balance but our current roster isn’t striking fear in anyone at the moment. I agree not a fan of Toffoli on the top line but maybe Lindholm and Huberdeau can bring Toffs game back. Our 2nd line is solid defensively but will really lack the scoring punch. The entire 2nd line are streaky scorers…can’t depend on that!

If Monny can rebound and maybe and one of the young guys really steps up (Pelletier, Ruz or Phillips) maybe that fills out that 3rd line but yeah we are weak in our bottom 6 and still lack high end skill in our top 6. If we trade Valimaki and Monny it should free up the space and maybe garner a decent return to balance out our lines. Right now as it stands , we’ve taken a step back in our forwards group. 

17 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hubie lindhom Toffoli

Mags Backs Coleman

?  Monahan Dube

Lucic Lewis Rooney 

For an unfinished roster, we have two solid lines.  The elephants in the room are Lucic/Monahan and Valimaki/Mackey/Meloche/Kylington/Hanifin.  

Monahan is expected to be healthy again, but was a big letdown last year.  We need a stronger 3C or a better 2C that bumps Backluind and Coleman down to have a 2nd scoring line.  Lucic is a fan fave, but was really only needed to protect Johnny.  BOS could really have interest in him, without costing us to unload him.  They might like to have him for one last hurrah.

The D is not as clearcut as you suggest.  You don't bring in Meloche to be sent down or be the 7th guy.  For every wart that Kylington showed, there were as many that Hanifin had.  Hanifin is the safer option, but can he be as solid with Tanev as Kylington was?  Can't keep Valimaki and Mackey even if you trade of of Kyl/Hani.

I’m glad we extended Kylington, he really took a major step last year and we don’t have anyone with his skating ability, it’s a very effective skill of his. We would have regretted trading him before seeing the full package he can develop into. Mangi is a bit pricey but he’s a 30+ goal scorer now so that’s the price. It would be great if Mangi was a better passer, he’s aggressive and can score in tight but he’s a bit one dimensional. 

I agree with most on here, we still need to make some upgrades and clear cap space, Kadri would have helped add to our skill and offence but don’t see that signing happening here. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The dream police, they live inside of my head
The dream police, they come to me in my bed

I might just be the last person doing that, which really makes it hilarious for me. The implied accusation gave me a huge laugh. Can I say trigger, rigger, tigger? lol

Just don't say sFull Nodeer, because I live on the border of the soft white underbelly of the USA. Too funny.

I'm Canada. I don't give a flying Blockchain about that stuff. Never have, never will.

I find it hilarious. Literally me. Of all people. Blockchaining hilarious.

You have no idea of the full weight of this.lol The absurdity is hilarious.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I might just be the last person doing that, which really makes it hilarious for me. The implied accusation gave me a huge laugh. Can I say trigger, rigger, tigger? lol

Just don't say sFull Nodeer, because I live on the border of the soft white underbelly of the USA. Too funny.

I'm Canada. I don't give a flying Blockchain about that stuff. Never have, never will.

I find it hilarious. Literally me. Of all people. Blockchaining hilarious.

You have no idea of the full weight of this.lol The absurdity is hilarious.

Like too many things that happen in the USA, we seem to have to model ourselves on the opposite side of every topic.  Trump and Trumpism had very little to do with us, but now everything seems to be "oh, we've been infected with these Conservative ideas".  "Look what's happening in Minny, it's here".  Give me a break.  Watch too much US TV and people draw too much into things here.  Stop turning things into 2 sides only.  It's not that simple.  

Anyway, still have some work to do to complete the roster.  No PTO's unless they are guys like Milano or Rodriguez.  We don't need to see semi-useless players getting long looks while your Pelletier's and Ruzicka's, etc., get shuffled down to all prospect lines.  I don't know when the best time to trade excess D is, but the day before opening day seems to me to be the worst.   

I think too much is being made of the “surplus” on D. I actually think this is by design, both Sutter and Treliving are from the school of you can never have enough dmen. Outside of maybe Valimaki I think all of the guys on 1 way deals would clear waivers and even then I’m not so sure valimaki wouldn’t. I think they will look at a trade but I also don’t think any of the D they have carry a ton of trade value so even if they do I would expect a minor move if anything. 

not to mention the Wranglers lost multiple veteran dmen and are going to have a young d core next year.  Maybe a trade will happen but I’m certainly not holding my breath it will be much. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Like too many things that happen in the USA, we seem to have to model ourselves on the opposite side of every topic.  Trump and Trumpism had very little to do with us, but now everything seems to be "oh, we've been infected with these Conservative ideas".  "Look what's happening in Minny, it's here".  Give me a break.  Watch too much US TV and people draw too much into things here.  Stop turning things into 2 sides only.  It's not that simple.  

Anyway, still have some work to do to complete the roster.  No PTO's unless they are guys like Milano or Rodriguez.  We don't need to see semi-useless players getting long looks while your Pelletier's and Ruzicka's, etc., get shuffled down to all prospect lines.  I don't know when the best time to trade excess D is, but the day before opening day seems to me to be the worst.   

Pretty sure, like,  Giordano got a PTO here at one time?  Could be wrong.  IMHO, if you've done your scouting there are usually some solid PTOs available but yes a lot of the best ones are too young to be effective this season.

Which is also kinda true of Ruzicka, Pelletier etc.    Honestly I think the camp should be more about PTOs, almost every year we injure a prospect in the thing because they're all gung-ho to make the big team and they're not conditioned yet.   Guys who were already on contract that we had all year to make a decision on.

Moving the Heat to Calgary helps a lot, just with logistics.   Callups are much more feasible now and should be done throughout the year.   We shouldn't be only looking at them for a couple weeks in August.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think too much is being made of the “surplus” on D. I actually think this is by design, both Sutter and Treliving are from the school of you can never have enough dmen. Outside of maybe Valimaki I think all of the guys on 1 way deals would clear waivers and even then I’m not so sure valimaki wouldn’t. I think they will look at a trade but I also don’t think any of the D they have carry a ton of trade value so even if they do I would expect a minor move if anything. 

not to mention the Wranglers lost multiple veteran dmen and are going to have a young d core next year.  Maybe a trade will happen but I’m certainly not holding my breath it will be much. 

I agree. I'd be shocked if we can't clear waivers on dmen. Every team has this problem. If you wanna vulture on that, you'll be in big trouble with 31 other GMs. They all rely on each other and respect each other as managers.

As I've said before, "why didn't they get him off of waivers last week for free rather than trade for him this week"?

It's because 30 other old boys are watching how you conduct your business, prolly more like over 90 adding in owners,POHOs and consultants. There is no place for pirates.

We'll clear everyone. We're in very good standing. Thank Brian Burke imho.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Hubie lindhom Toffoli

Mags Backs Coleman

?  Monahan Dube

Lucic Lewis Rooney 

Huberdeau had 80-assist last season so we're hoping that means Toffoli is going to be scoring 35+ this season... But Toffoli looked so bad down the stretch and into the playoffs.  I'm skeptical he can hold his own on the top line.

As for Monahan, I don't have any expectations.  He was so slow after one hip surgery.  He should be even slower after two.  Sutter will deploy him as a 4th liner again.  He needs to go... That cap hit.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. I'd be shocked if we can't clear waivers on dmen. Every team has this problem. If you wanna vulture on that, you'll be in big trouble with 31 other GMs. They all rely on each other and respect each other as managers.

As I've said before, "why didn't they get him off of waivers last week for free rather than trade for him this week"?

It's because 30 other old boys are watching how you conduct your business, prolly more like over 90 adding in owners,POHOs and consultants. There is no place for pirates.

We'll clear everyone. We're in very good standing. Thank Brian Burke imho.

I disagree in the grand scheme of things.  Waivers to send the guy down once are one thing, but if you bring them back up for a stint, they may have to clear them again.  Sure, guys making $4M or crappy players make less than 2 don't get claimed often, but it's not because the old boys club frowns on it.  Many teams, not all.  Many players get claimed trying to sneak them down at other points in the year.  Backup goalies, prospects, cheap guys.  There are still pirate teams out there.

Maybe at the last day before the season starts there is a multitude of players on waivers and most team have already picked their guys, you don't see many claims.  But a higher value prospect that hasn't made a dent yet like Valimaki might.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau had 80-assist last season so we're hoping that means Toffoli is going to be scoring 35+ this season... But Toffoli looked so bad down the stretch and into the playoffs.  I'm skeptical he can hold his own on the top line.

As for Monahan, I don't have any expectations.  He was so slow after one hip surgery.  He should be even slower after two.  Sutter will deploy him as a 4th liner again.  He needs to go... That cap hit.

You are absolutely certain that there is a 0% chance of a resurgence? I'm still struggling to say that's a foregone conclusion to be honest. Easily our best at the dot, even with hip and wrist disabilities. I thought he did a lot pretty well last year. Even though that shot wasn't there.

I think that you're impatient. You'll LOVE a rebuild.lol

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I disagree in the grand scheme of things.  Waivers to send the guy down once are one thing, but if you bring them back up for a stint, they may have to clear them again.  Sure, guys making $4M or crappy players make less than 2 don't get claimed often, but it's not because the old boys club frowns on it.  Many teams, not all.  Many players get claimed trying to sneak them down at other points in the year.  Backup goalies, prospects, cheap guys.  There are still pirate teams out there.

Maybe at the last day before the season starts there is a multitude of players on waivers and most team have already picked their guys, you don't see many claims.  But a higher value prospect that hasn't made a dent yet like Valimaki might.

The only thing that I agree with is sneaking them back down during the season. It becomes a whole other context.

But even then, mgrs would still rather make a deal. Minus Arizona, I think. They're not doing great with that mindset...

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You are absolutely certain that there is a 0% chance of a resurgence? I'm still struggling to say that's a foregone conclusion to be honest. Easily our best at the dot, even with hip and wrist disabilities. I thought he did a lot pretty well last year. Even though that shot wasn't there.

I think that you're impatient. You'll LOVE a rebuild.lol

It's not 0%.  Monahan is like an old aging heavyweight boxer who is always one punch away from winning the fight. He still has one of the best shots in the league if someone can find him in the slot... And if he can keep up with the play.  How about a 1st line,

Huberdeau - Monahan - Lindholm 

You get two of the leagues best carrying Monahan and we could possibly see Monahan back at 75-points if all goes well.

44 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Pretty sure, like,  Giordano got a PTO here at one time?  Could be wrong.  IMHO, if you've done your scouting there are usually some solid PTOs available but yes a lot of the best ones are too young to be effective this season.

Which is also kinda true of Ruzicka, Pelletier etc.    Honestly I think the camp should be more about PTOs, almost every year we injure a prospect in the thing because they're all gung-ho to make the big team and they're not conditioned yet.   Guys who were already on contract that we had all year to make a decision on.

Moving the Heat to Calgary helps a lot, just with logistics.   Callups are much more feasible now and should be done throughout the year.   We shouldn't be only looking at them for a couple weeks in August.

I think Richardson was a PTO last year, but could be wrong.  Filler spots or role players are fine.  But, I was getting at guys that have a legit shot at making the team getting pushed down to the prospect filler lines.  Rozie and Pelletier did themselves no favors last year, but it's also hard to do anything meaningful when your wingers or C's don't help.

Staal is signed as a PTO with CAR.  That's a good use of one.  Don't mind the ones like a Gawdin coming in and getting a shot at a AHL only deal either. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

It's not 0%.  Monahan is like an old aging heavyweight boxer who is always one punch away from winning the fight. He still has one of the best shots in the league if someone can find him in the slot... And if he can keep up with the play.  How about a 1st line,

Huberdeau - Monahan - Lindholm 

You get two of the leagues best carrying Monahan and we could possibly see Monahan back at 75-points if all goes well.

He has one of the best shots.  It went away.  I saw one or two examples of it last season, but it's like most of his leverage was gone.  When you take that away and he is left with skating and trying to be meaner, it's not a good look.  It seems like he will have more time to recover this year, but it's almost like they need to focus more on the fine tuning of the skills and not just range of motion.  It's like they stopped when he could skate and he was still needing strength and power skating to get back.

No, I wouldn't put him with Hubie and Lindholm at all.  If we end up keeping him, he has to be a 3C that plays with playmakers or a 4C that plays with something other than gritty guys.