2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's a steal if true. I don't get the criticism he takes, he is a heck of a player who would be a great fit here IMO. After the playoffs Hanifin had we'd be lucky to be able to get a player like Nylander for him. 

However, the rumor makes no sense. Reily, Muzzin, Gio and Sandin all man the LS in Toronto. They have no use for Hanifin. 

If I was Toronto, this would be the start of making the D younger.

Muzzin is 33 and making slightly more than Hanifin.

Gio is 38.

Muzzin also has an injury history that took him out for half the season.

They probably could get a decent return for him.

Saying all that, it's just a rumor from a dubious source.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The player from Toronto that I could see them moving that might make some sense is Kerfoot. Solid secondary scoring option. He always seems to play Calgary hard. Can play the wing or center. Toronto needs to move salary and he seems to be the odd man out. Wouldn’t give up Hanifin for him, but I doubt it would take much to get him.

My brother is all over pushing Kerfoot out the door. He keeps sending me trade ideas and Kerfoot is always a part of them. His last one made me laugh, he wanted to trade us Kerfoot for Mony with 50% retained. I don’t mind Kerfoot, but, that would make us take on more cap than with Mony staying with us. I agree Kerfoot can be a much more serviceable player for us, but I still believe there’s a better deal out there for Mony (and one of them includes trading for “future considerations”)

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You and I feel the same about Mony and I would cheer him on elsewhere. I also recognized years ago how much Mony depended on Johnny, and wish we capitalized on that years ago before his NTC kicked in. It is what it is, and like BT said we deal with it and we move forward. 

Im not sure where I stand with Looch. I love the guy, and if Mony can be moved I wouldn’t be pushing Looch out the door. 

I almost think that CBJ is a target for Monahan.  They have Jenner out on IR.

We could retain salary and it would boost Johnny's spirits.

He may not really want to go there, but the team would give him their support.

Lucic is in the half season realm now.

He can't just be here to tune people up.

We can find an internal option to that for less than $5M.

Or even a trade for a puncher.

Heck, trade him to BOS to finish his career there.

They could use him.

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

My brother is all over pushing Kerfoot out the door. He keeps sending me trade ideas and Kerfoot is always a part of them. His last one made me laugh, he wanted to trade us Kerfoot for Mony with 50% retained. I don’t mind Kerfoot, but, that would make us take on more cap than with Mony staying with us. I agree Kerfoot can be a much more serviceable player for us, but I still believe there’s a better deal out there for Mony (and one of them includes trading for “future considerations”)

50% retained is better than a buyout, but not by a lot.

I could see a trade with DET or Buffalo.

Close to home at least.

And he gets to play Johnny a bit more that way.

Regarding 2C:

- If Kadri signs elsewhere

- If Dvorak can’t be had

- If Barzal is a pipe dream

We should target Stastny. 

Stastny, at the end of last season, was asked a question by a reporter and he responded by talking about Calgary and how we play such a team game and that we’re so well coached. I think he’d sign here, he wouldn’t cost any assets, and being 36 his salary would likely be very palatable. I know he’s older, but he is statistically comparable to Dvorak if Dvorak can’t be had. 

Regarding 4th Line:

I’ve also been thinking about our 4th line and I think we need to target Michael Raffl LW/RW. He made $1.1M last year and he is an absolute PITA (pain in the arse) to play against. I would very much like the flames to pick him up. 

Regarding RW:

Evan Rodrigues. He can also slot in to Center. Versatile player. Not sure what the cost would be. 

13 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Regarding 2C:

- If Kadri signs elsewhere

- If Dvorak can’t be had

- If Barzal is a pipe dream

We should target Stastny. 

Stastny, at the end of last season, was asked a question by a reporter and he responded by talking about Calgary and how we play such a team game and that we’re so well coached. I think he’d sign here, he wouldn’t cost any assets, and being 36 his salary would likely be very palatable. I know he’s older, but he is statistically comparable to Dvorak if Dvorak can’t be had. 

Regarding 4th Line:

I’ve also been thinking about our 4th line and I think we need to target Michael Raffl LW/RW. He made $1.1M last year and he is an absolute PITA (pain in the arse) to play against. I would very much like the flames to pick him up. 

Regarding RW:

Evan Rodrigues. He can also slot in to Center. Versatile player. Not sure what the cost would be. 

I have moved on from Kadri.

He makes us a contender, but I would hate the contract.

Dvorak is the Backlund of the future or the new 2C.

MTL lost Petry so Hanifin or Kylington or Valimaki would help them.

The latter two more than Hanifin.

If it costs Hanifin, we still have surplus D.

Hanifin is a bit of a softie; at least the other guys are somewhat willing to hit (Mackey, Valimaki, Kyl).

Statsny is still productive, so I think he gets over $3M still.

Raffl would be cheap, but more like Lewis for scoring.

He's tough for his size.

Get him to play against Tkachuk.

Possible destinations for Mony

- All of these teams currently have the cap space to take on his full salary

1. Winnipeg - Given what’s going on with Dubois, they may consider evaluating Mony this year. 

2. Chicago - I can really see this one happening. Chicago just had a fire sale as they’re going scorched Earth rebuild. They just signed Athenasiou and Domi to 1 year deals for the sole purpose of flipping them at the TDL for additional assets. Mony is an ideal candidate for them as he can be flipped at the TDL for additional assets as well. 

3. Detroit - I can see Yzerman having some interest in acquiring a former perennial 30 goal scorer at his lowest value. Though, Mony’s  $6M salary may be too much to digest for Stevie Y. I wonder if there’s a trade there where we take back some salary in a position we need. 

4. NYI - I’ve read that Lamoriello has kicked tires on Mony on more than a few occasions. I’ve also heard Lamoriello is targeting Kadri hard. It appears he’s looking for a C, and like I’ve said before, I have a feeling there’s something brewing with Barzal and Lamoriello is trying to get in front of that. 
Mony for Cal Clutterbuck? $1.75M x 2 years left, RW, fiesty player like Chucky. 

5. OTT - We all know Mony played for the Ottawa 67’s and that he’s an Ontario boy. The $6M salary may be an obstacle, but this year OTT has shown they’re finally pushing their chips to the middle of the table. Perhaps, like Detroit, there’s a trade to be had there to offset some of Mony’s salary.
Mony for Austin Watson? $1.5M, RW, Hits and I think he’s a face puncher. 

6. BUF - Close enough to Ontario, but likely on Mony’s NTC. It would be a team that he could get a lot more ice time with, so he may reconsider. That and the fact they’re in the East? It might be good PR for Buffalo to trade for a young, former 30 goal scorer? 

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

6. BUF - Close enough to Ontario, but likely on Mony’s NTC. It would be a team that he could get a lot more ice time with, so he may reconsider. That and the fact they’re in the East? It might be good PR for Buffalo to trade for a young, former 30 goal scorer? 

Would it really matter to him?

It's one year and he has the chance to sign anywhere next summer.

Besides, the alternatives are staying here and playing a grit role.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Would it really matter to him?

It's one year and he has the chance to sign anywhere next summer.

Besides, the alternatives are staying here and playing a grit role.

And his best friend is gone too. I’m going to look at CBJ and see if there are any players to trade for Mony. 

Nyqvist is a LW/RW making $5.5M and plays LW/RW, left shot. Doubt CBJ is interested in trading Nuqvist, and I’m luke warm about him myself. He is Swedish, but I don’t really see a fit here for either team. We need to eliminate as much of Mony’s contract as possible and CBJ is currently over the cap limit. 

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

And his best friend is gone too. I’m going to look at CBJ and see if there are any good 4th line role players to trade for Mony. 

Texier might be a fit.

Not expensive for them, but he's a pending RFA.

Monnet at 50% and we get Texier.

Costs them about 1.5M more in cap.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Monahan may have been an issue with Gaudreau's wife.

But that was the old days.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Texier might be a fit.

Not expensive for them, but he's a pending RFA.

Monnet at 50% and we get Texier.

Costs them about 1.5M more in cap.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Monahan may have been an issue with Gaudreau's wife.

But that was the old days.

Ya, I think a lot of it is wishful thinking but after I saw Pacioretti get traded for future considerations, I’m almost certain there’s better options than buying Mony out. He’s 27. There’s got to be a team that will take a flyer on a former 30 goal scorer with something to prove on a one year contract. 

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Ya, I think a lot of it is wishful thinking but after I saw Pacioretti get traded for future considerations, I’m almost certain there’s better options than buying Mony out. He’s 27. There’s got to be a team that will take a flyer on a former 30 goal scorer with something to prove on a one year contract. 

Well, I think you did a good job of identifying some options.

He has to go to a place with younger talent.

He's a leader in the room, in a soft spoken manner.

Has anyone give any thought to the idea that Hubs is a much better version of Gaudreau and maybe pair him with Monahan? Line 1 or two wouldn’t much matter under Sutter if the player and line plays well and has gas in the tank they play!

Manji/Lindholm/??? or Toffoil 

Hubs/Monahan/Tofolli or ????

Coleman/Backlund/Dube 

pending what happens with the RW those potentially could be two powerhouse lines followed by a very dangerous shut down line.

can’t help but feel playing Monahan with JH would definitely be a positive for each player, and more so the team 

6 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Has anyone give any thought to the idea that Hubs is a much better version of Gaudreau and maybe pair him with Monahan? Line 1 or two wouldn’t much matter under Sutter if the player and line plays well and has gas in the tank they play!

Manji/Lindholm/??? or Toffoil 

Hubs/Monahan/Tofolli or ????

Coleman/Backlund/Dube 

pending what happens with the RW those potentially could be two powerhouse lines followed by a very dangerous shut down line.

can’t help but feel playing Monahan with JH would definitely be a positive for each player, and more so the team 

Nope.  Monahan wasn't even capable of playing on the PP this year.

We would be better off with Statsny than Monahan.

And I was a big Monahan fan.

Just don't see it anymore.

So with Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey all requiring waivers, as well as Meloche, I would have to think a couple defensemen will be on their way out. I have a hard time believing that Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey would clear waivers. Meloche probably would but I am not sure.

So who is on the move, according to Sutter Kylington played the whole season and Mackey was really close and Valimaki needed more time. So is Valimaki the odd man out? Or is Kylington because he is probably going to get paid more than we would like for a 3rd pairing defenseman. Personally I would rather move Kylington and hopefully find a middle 6 forward. I would look at the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele as the type of trade and value that Kylington has.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So with Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey all requiring waivers, as well as Meloche, I would have to think a couple defensemen will be on their way out. I have a hard time believing that Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey would clear waivers. Meloche probably would but I am not sure.

So who is on the move, according to Sutter Kylington played the whole season and Mackey was really close and Valimaki needed more time. So is Valimaki the odd man out? Or is Kylington because he is probably going to get paid more than we would like for a 3rd pairing defenseman. Personally I would rather move Kylington and hopefully find a middle 6 forward. I would look at the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele as the type of trade and value that Kylington has.

Sutter doesn't care what Kylington makes.  He was given pretty hard minutes the entire year, and while he lost some PP time, he didn't really lose his spot.  I'm sure BT will ask his opinion of Kylington vs Mackey vs Hanifin before he makes a trade.  Hanifin is more top 4 than Kylington is RIGHT NOW.  But the question is whether there is any improvement left in his game.  Hanifin is a finished product.  Kylington may not be.

Bear for Foegele was a bad trade for both teams.

Bear was not set up to play with good D-men.

Foegele was not set up to play on a team that only passes to a couple of guys.

I would trade either Hanifin or Kylington for a top 6 C if one was available.

May have to add in Dube to get it done.

I do think that some GM's see Kylington as untapped potential.

They may not want to give the value they think he is.

With CAR, I somehow doubt Necas was the top player they were offering.

I suspect (as you pointed out) that it included another big piece.

If we could do Kylington + Dube for Necas, I would call it a day.

Maybe that's a slight overpayment, but Necas could take the 2C or 3RW spot.

Slightly better fit than Dube.

The minor suggestion I have is move Kylington to the wing.  He has the skating and maybe if he wasn't just carrying the puck he would score more as a winger.  Better than just shipping him off by himself for a nothing return.  Perhaps he has more value than we give him credit for.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

OTT: Weeger and 2025 panthers 1st 

CGY:Sanderson and 2024 OTT 2nd

WTF dude. We just trade for him, welcome him to the team, talk about signing him long term and you want to ship him out 48 hours after the trade?  Say good-bye to Hubie if you do that kind of thing.  Richard move.

I get your point, but it's too late now for it.

If we wait to TDL, Ottawa will not do it.

IF Sanderson is going to play in the NHL, Ottawa will treat him with kid gloves.

Long term prospect.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

that a suggestion?

In my opinion Weeger is a luxury the Flames can't afford. Projections are 6 to 7m per year. I followed the panthers closely and feel Kylington is a better option long term. Ottawa looks like they are trying to make a splash this year and could envelope his next contract and he is rumored to want to play there . Plus would love to watch Sanderson develop in Calgary on our farm team.

NYI is still pretty thin at LD. I wonder if they'd have interest in Kylington.

I've always liked Beauvillier. He's got all the tools, just hasn't put it all together. He brings an element of speed which is something the Flames have lacked for a while. 

Little bit like Bear for Foegele

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

NYI is still pretty thin at LD. I wonder if they'd have interest in Kylington.

I've always liked Beauvillier. He's got all the tools, just hasn't put it all together. He brings an element of speed which is something the Flames have lacked for a while. 

Little bit like Bear for Foegele

Beau is a playoff performer.  I don't know this for a fact, but they seem to be pretty high on him.  Drafted him, brought him in.  Signed him to a pretty decent raise last year.  Plays top line.  I don't know that you get a top line LW for a 2nd pairing D that has one NHL real season.    

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Beau is a playoff performer.  I don't know this for a fact, but they seem to be pretty high on him.  Drafted him, brought him in.  Signed him to a pretty decent raise last year.  Plays top line.  I don't know that you get a top line LW for a 2nd pairing D that has one NHL real season.    

He only had 34pts last year, Kylington had 31.

They seem to be low on Beauvillier, which is why it's worth inquiring.