2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Just now, LouCifer said:

Johnny shocks the hockey world by signing in Columbus

tha GIF

Then Brad Treliving shocks the hockey world more with getting Huberdeau and Weager from Florida return for Tkachuk. 

blinking trailer park boys GIF

And I would bet BT isn’t done yet. On with the show! 

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

Dougie/Ferland/Fox for Lindholm/Hanifin then the FLA deal. He sure isn't afraid, he's a gunslinger.

• Like 1

Wow wow, just digesting this right now.

I was expecting to go younger and "mini-rebuild"... Not go older.  This is a win-now trade.  Not happy at first.  Was really getting ready for Kyrou + 1st or Bratt + 1st... This 2023 draft is deep.

Huberdeau... My goodness.  Firstly, why would FLA move him?  He's a core guy!?  But 29-years-old and one year remaining... Are we talking $10-mil x 8-years?  Huberdeau is/was a top 3 LW in the NHL right up there with Gaudreau.  He got a few MVP votes.

Weager.. solid player.  RHS RD adds so much depth to our RD now.  He is a very well balanced D all around.  Can move the puck and still defend with speed.  Plays bigger than he is.

But man, both guys going UFA.  It's going to cost a lot to extend both.  Huberdeau $10-mil x 8... Weager could be $5.5-mil x 6..

That 1st round pick.  Wish it was this year...

Value wise, this could be a homerun... Just needs to extend Huberdeau long term.

Direction wise, this is not the direction I was hoping for.  Mercer, Holtz, 1st in 2023... That's the direction we should be going.

So currently, assuming they re-sign Mangiapane, the Flames look like:

Huberdeau / Lindholm / Toffoli (play, all round, shooter)

Mangiapane / Backlund / Ruzicka (Shooter, D, all rounder)

Dube / Monahan / Coleman 

Lucic / Rooney / Lewis

??

Hanifin / Andersson 

Valimaki or Kylington / Weegar

Zadorov / Tanev

Meloche

Markstrom

Vladar

Moving Monahan would open more cap space for a RW pushing Ruzicka to 3C, or for a 2C pushing Backlund to 3C. Without moving Monahan, there is still money to sign Mangiapane and Ruzicka.

Dropping Mackey and Gilbert to AHL increases cap space by almost 1.7. Likely see either Valimaki or Kylington get traded now. Valimaki at 1.55 plus the other 2 would allow Kylington to get 3 mil per on multi year.

With Monahan and Lucic contracts off the books next year, that frees up 11.5 mil space to extend Huberdeau and Weegar. 5 mil extra for Huberdeau, 3 mil for Weegar leaves 3 mil to re-sign or replace Lucic plus use towards Monahan replacement.

Flames are in a better position now than before the trade. Add in prospect and pick are bonus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

Was just saying the one stat that doesn’t show is Huberdeaus leadership. I was never a fan of Tkachuk being a Captain, Huberdeau will bring some invaluable tools that Matty  just doesn’t have yet. 

You and me both. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I was expecting to go younger and "mini-rebuild"... Not go older.  This is a win-now trade.  Not happy at first.  Was really getting ready for Kyrou + 1st or Bratt + 1st... This 2023 draft is deep.

Huberdeau... My goodness.  Firstly, why would FLA move him?  He's a core guy!?  But 29-years-old and one year remaining... Are we talking $10-mil x 8-years?  Huberdeau is/was a top 3 LW in the NHL right up there with Gaudreau.  He got a few MVP votes.

Weager.. solid player.  RHS RD adds so much depth to our RD now.  He is a very well balanced D all around.  Can move the puck and still defend with speed.  Plays bigger than he is.

But man, both guys going UFA.  It's going to cost a lot to extend both.  Huberdeau $10-mil x 8... Weager could be $5.5-mil x 6..

Value wise, this could be a homerun... Just needs to extend Huberdeau long term.

Direction wise, this is not the direction I was hoping for.  Mercer, Holtz, 1st in 2023... That's the direction we should be going.

Funny thing is. Johnny is only 2 months younger than Huberdeau.. yet they screamed when we didn't get him 8x10.5 

I hear ya, seemed like a good opportunity to reset with some new young high end talent…I still like this trade. It’s good value for Calgary and brings some nice flexibility to the lineup. We could still move Monny for some prospects and picks too…I doubt BT is done. We lost 2/3rds of our 1st line so there’s still work to be done. Could Monahan for Barzal work??

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Do we go:

Hanifin, Weeger

Zadorov, Andersson 

Kylington, Tanev

what would others do?

who we trading if these don't go?

Weegar is very versatile. Bit like TJ Brodie, he's good on his off-side, so he could conceivably play top 4.

Keep in mind it's possible Tanev misses time

37 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

- I also have a sneaking suspicion that Barzal is a target for BT. It would take a lot, but man he would look great in red. 

Wow if we can land Barzal then we have a legit shot at winning the Cup.

One great side effect of this Tkachuk situation is that many teams had to reveal their hands to BT.  We now know what players are available on STL, NJ, and NYI.  I hope Barzal can be had.

Wow if we can land Barzal then we have a legit shot at winning the Cup.

One great side effect of this Tkachuk situation is that many teams had to reveal their hands to BT.  We now know what players are available on STL, NJ, and NYI.  I hope Barzal can be had.

but does it alienate them by going Florida?

6 minutes ago, rickross said:

I hear ya, seemed like a good opportunity to reset with some new young high end talent…I still like this trade. It’s good value for Calgary and brings some nice flexibility to the lineup. We could still move Monny for some prospects and picks too…I doubt BT is done. We lost 2/3rds of our 1st line so there’s still work to be done. Could Monahan for Barzal work??

Maybe Hanifin for Barzal could work.  We will have to move Monahan as a cap dump somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You and me both. 

I mean let's all be serious.. no knock on either of them , they're both elite..  but if you got told we have to lose one of Johnny or chucky.. most wouid pick Chucky..  and we just improved on Johnny.. 

I dare say we are better now than we were against Edmonton..

Faster D.. size to go with the skill and speed on the left of the top line ..and Mangiapane can do a pretty good chucky imitation with more speed..he's an ornery little sob.. 

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

We lost 2/3rds of our 1st line so there’s still work to be done. Could Monahan for Barzal work??

Not likely and definitely not 1-for-1. BUT… I’ve read on more than a few occasions that Lamorello and NYI are interested in Monahan. God only knows why,  but if there’s a deal to be had with Mony going the other way… wow. Mony + Dube? Mony + Valimaki? 

Again, I have this feeling about Barzal. Maybe he wants out of NYI… I don’t know. I’ve just got this gut feeling about him. 

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Weegar is very versatile. Bit like TJ Brodie, he's good on his off-side, so he could conceivably play top 4.

Keep in mind it's possible Tanev misses time

And don't forget Valimaki needs waivers now ..so either they plan on keeping him up or he's an attractive chip to somebody as well 

I know people say players will pass thru but vakimaki won't .. 

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Not likely and definitely not 1-for-1. BUT… I’ve read on more than a few occasions that Lamorello and NYI are interested in Monahan. God only knows why,  but if there’s a deal to be had with Mony going the other way… wow. Mony + Dube? Mony + Valimaki? 

Again, I have this feeling about Barzal. Maybe he wants out of NYI… I don’t know. I’ve just got this gut feeling about him. 

Hard to say. They basically fired Trotz for him ..

3 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Barzal is a Gaudreau at Center.  When he's on fire, he's a top 10 Center in the NHL... But he had a bad year so he's on discount.  Would love to do Hanfin + Monahan for Barzal if that's possible.  If NYI likes Monahan, then this might work.

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

And don't forget Valimaki needs waivers now ..so either they plan on keeping him up or he's an attractive chip to somebody as well 

I know people say players will pass thru but vakimaki won't .. 

Valimaki is interesting. 

I don't think he's going to make the team. I think Sutter and management have a different view of him.

I see a need for a top 6 forward still so maybe he's part of a trade package.

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Hard to say. They basically fired Trotz for him ..

Ummm, I’m not sure it was for Barzal… I read that Lane Lambert was going to get poached by another team to be their head coach, and NYI didn’t want to lose him because they’ve been grooming him… where did you hear it was for Barzal?

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Barzal is a Gaudreau at Center.  When he's on fire, he's a top 10 Center in the NHL... But he had a bad year so he's on discount.  Would love to do Hanfin + Monahan for Barzal if that's possible.  If NYI likes Monahan, then this might work.

monahan, Hanifin, Florida 1st, Flames prospect 

for Barzal

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Funny thing is. Johnny is only 2 months younger than Huberdeau.. yet they screamed when we didn't get him 8x10.5 

Lundell would've been the good long term target but Huberdeau... Man.  Feels unreal we got a superstar back.

For anyone who thought we would have to sell low on Tkachuk, I didn't think so.  Tkachuk was always going to bring back a haul because 40G 100PT and all those intangibles at 24-years-old.  A unicorn player and no one else like him in the NHL.  Now confirmed.  We got the best player in the trade so we win (at least in the short term).