2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Wow. What an off season this has been! I like the trade. I get the concern with the lack of extensions and the age of the players but I don’t think BT does this without doing his homework on getting them extended. I’m not too concerned at the moment. Great haul, this is essentially the kind of return we needed, 1 franchise player for another plus the prospect and pick. Can’t be mad at BT for this one!…Atleast not yet!

3 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Ok F it. I won’t wait until tomorrow. I’m shooting from the hip here. 

- We lost Johnny for nothing, and then BT traded Chucky for Johnny’s replacement. Wow. 115 points out and 115 points back in. 

- I’m a Weager fan. I’ve suggested targeting him before. 

- I know sweet F all about the prospect. Someone tell me he’s good. Pleeeease. 

- A 2025 first? I know it’s all they had. Their 2023 and 2024 are already gone. 

Concerns:

- The elephant in the room is that Weager and Hubie are close to 30, and they’re both UFAs after this season. A contract hasn’t been worked out in advance like Chucky’s agent was able to do with FLA. 

- I also note that Hubie and Weager don’t generate too many points in the playoffs… I don’t like that. 

- I do note 2 important things: Looch and Mony’s contracts expire this year as well. That’s $11M freeing up to sign Hubie and Weager, or, if we can’t sign them for whatever reason, we do have 2 players that could net us some large 2023 draft and prospect returns at the trade deadline. And they’re both on fantastic contracts that would be easy to move at the TDL. I see BT has given himself some options with what he could do with these players. He’s not going to get suckered like with Gaudreau and Chucky again. 

I also love that Chucky doesn’t get to play with Hubie now haha. 

BT sure did something BIG. Something none of us could predict. I was really really hoping for and liking some of the trade proposals with NJ. It would’ve given us a great start towards being a perennial contender. 

Lastly, some speculation on my part. 
- BT clearly isn’t going the rebuild route.
- So, If BT can move Monahan now… Kadri may be a real possibility. Because we STILL NEED another C to compete. 
- I also have a sneaking suspicion that Barzal is a target for BT. It would take a lot, but man he would look great in red. 

Cole Schwindt was 3rd on AHL Charlotte in scoring. He's played NHL games. He's not a throw-in by any means. Big RHS.

I don't worry about Huberdeau's age. He was born the same year as Johnny and the Flames threw 85 mill at him. Huberdeau is the most important Calgary Flame right now. They need to treat him as such. 10.5-11.5. This is an elite talent. I like him to age better than Tkachuk.

This is a big time move and I think it really changes the outlook of 22/23 for the Flames

• Like 1

To put this in more perspective.. remember when we traded Bennett and he suddenly became the center we always wanted him to be ?  He was playing with Huberdeau

When he got bumped back when Giroux came in, he fell off a cliff and ended the season as the Sammy we all remembered 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

To put this in more perspective.. remember when we traded Bennett and he suddenly became the center we always wanted him to be ?  He was playing with Huberdeau

When he got bumped back when Giroux came in, he fell off a cliff and ended the season as the Sammy we all remembered 

I'm old enough to remember folks on this forum suggesting trading Johnny for Huberdeau

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm old enough to remember folks on this forum suggesting trading Johnny for Huberdeau

Yep I was one of em.. he was a small package of targets I'd have gone for..

Tbh ..when I saw Florida on the list of supposed teams Chucky wanted, I scratched him off the list cuz , no way they'd trade him..lol..  somewhere in these negotiations Brad had to be yelling "start the car"..lol

• Haha 1

Well, we get older in true BT fashion, 

But...this was a lot more return than I thought we'd get, and RHD is solved, which is big.

The day will come where some of the other trades discussed on here (Nemec, etc) look a lot better.    But that day is not now lol.    We are a better team, in the present, with this trade.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think I've found more faith in BT  on this one. 

i feel like this:

https://youtu.be/GSr-VWc_7WQ

yes yes! This exactly! No one expected this. 

I wish I could see the reaction on Edmonton fan’s faces when they find out! They were all thinking they were going to roll over us next year - heck, I thought so too! This is incredible if only for the fact that everyone’s reaction is going to be “how the F did Calgary get Huberdeau AND Weager?!?” 

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

yes yes! This exactly! No one expected this. 

I wish I could see the reaction on Edmonton fan’s faces when they find out! They were all thinking they were going to roll over us next year - heck, I thought so too! This is incredible if only for the fact that everyone’s reaction is going to be “how the F did Calgary get Huberdeau AND Weager?!?” 

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

They were chirping me HARD after Gaudreau and Tkachuk news dropped! Now their comeback is that Huberdeau will extend the Habs after next year! Other than that it’s crickets. They don’t like this trade which means it’s a very good trade lol

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well, we get older in true BT fashion, 

But...this was a lot more return than I thought we'd get, and RHD is solved, which is big.

The day will come where some of the other trades discussed on here (Nemec, etc) look a lot better.    But that day is not now lol.    We are a better team, in the present, with this trade.

I'd agree, I think there would have been some legit prospects on the table. That said though, I don't think BT had a choice. Rightly, or wrongly, the on ice product should be good for 22/23. 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yep I was one of em.. he was a small package of targets I'd have gone for..

Tbh ..when I saw Florida on the list of supposed teams Chucky wanted, I scratched him off the list cuz , no way they'd trade him..lol..  somewhere in these negotiations Brad had to be yelling "start the car"..lol

I totally brushed off FLA as a destination too. Didn't figure they'd move Lundell and they had some cap gymnastics to navigate. 

Like I was telling someone else ..I'll always cheer for Chucky..he's a unique blend of all skills .. elite in many ways .. but when things got fast he couldn't keep up.. 

Mang will get 40 next year on that line and Lindholm can keep getting shots from his office 

• Like 1

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Like I was telling someone else ..I'll always cheer for Chucky..he's a unique blend of all skills .. elite in many ways .. but when things got fast he couldn't keep up.. 

Mang will get 40 next year on that line and Lindholm can keep getting shots from his office 

Love Tkachuk, wish him well. Think of him during that Dallas series…his antics were pretty ineffective and he took some lame penalties trying to be the fighter on the team. He’s good but he doesn’t possess the skill that is captaincy that Huberdeau brings 

Johnny shocks the hockey world by signing in Columbus

tha GIF

Then Brad Treliving shocks the hockey world more with getting Huberdeau and Weager from Florida return for Tkachuk. 

blinking trailer park boys GIF

And I would bet BT isn’t done yet. On with the show! 

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

• Like 1