2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Just now, travel_dude said:

Help me out on this.  The article says a couple of things.  In one breath they say he won't commit to a long term deal.  In another it says he won't sign period.  Which is the case?

I would think that he will go to arbitration if he has too, but that's about it. I think he saw what happened with Gaudreau and is at least giving Calgary a chance to recoup something here.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I would think that he will go to arbitration if he has too, but that's about it. I think he saw what happened with Gaudreau and is at least giving Calgary a chance to recoup something here.

Well and without any trade protection it is in his best interest to work with the Flames rather be sent somewhere he doesn't want to be. 

I know he holds the trump card of the 1 year deal but what if a GM got desperate and thought they could convince him. Tkachuks' wastes a year

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well Hailey is definitely a local media person.  But that leads me to also believe that he doesn't see the benefit of arbitration or 8 years.  8 years takes him out of the windfall for his next contract.  I could see them agreeing to a 5 year deal.  That takes him into the higher cap days and still young enough to cash in.

The only thing that makes that unlikely is him providing the list of teams.  That's a new wrinkle.  Maybe due to the arbitration thing, since he didn't want it.  Or maybe due to Johnny leaving.  Don't know.  

Let the sweeps begin I guess.

and just remember .. thats only the places he will sign long term .. doesnt mean we cant trade him anywhere we want if the return is best ..   makes sense the ones who can sign him will pay more , but never know ..

also lets not discount "now " pieces in the deal.. a player like this should get you a haul..  with picks and young players , could also see a Seguin, a Tarasenko etc type to go along with the package 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

not only that, his lotto ticket signed in Columbus. He's not getting 100 points without Johnny. So he's going to get 9m but that's it. If he takes the arb and has a crap year he's back down to 8m per year.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Well and without any trade protection it is in his best interest to work with the Flames rather be sent somewhere he doesn't want to be. 

I know he holds the trump card of the 1 year deal but what if a GM got desperate and thought they could convince him. Tkachuks' wastes a year

plus, he might not get as many points and that one year is a huge gamble. He will probably get 70-80 points, but does that put him in 9.5 range? 

Just now, travel_dude said:

I'm really curious how this all broke.  The team wouldn't want the story out there.  Why does Tkachuk want it put out there?

Maybe they do want it out there, to try and drive up the price or get more teams involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I'm really curious how this all broke.  The team wouldn't want the story out there.  Why does Tkachuk want it put out there?

force a deal. While he's working with the team he doesn't have to care about the return. The flames need a return regardless 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

well to be fair too , Francis said exactly this yesterday .. without the names of teams .. so is out there

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The team definitely wants the story out there.  It doesn't make the team look bad and there are enough teams on the list to create a bidding war.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think both sides want it done ASAP now .. get the frenzy going get it done quick..  gotta think this changes how hard we go at Kadri now .. id almost make him a priority 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

well to be fair too , Francis said exactly this yesterday .. without the names of teams .. so is out there

Steinberg speculates.

Francis reports it yesterday as a foregone conclusion and a trade is imminent.

Today the facts get reported by Hailey.

Today, Francis reports that he "won't" sign with the Flames.

I don't trust anything from EF, since he is all about creating stories and click revenue.

Gaudreau will never hit 100 points.

Gaudreau will never sign with the Flames.

The latter turned out, but was not the entire story.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Steinberg speculates.

Francis reports it yesterday as a foregone conclusion and a trade is imminent.

Today the facts get reported by Hailey.

Today, Francis reports that he "won't" sign with the Flames.

I don't trust anything from EF, since he is all about creating stories and click revenue.

Gaudreau will never hit 100 points.

Gaudreau will never sign with the Flames.

The latter turned out, but was not the entire story.

Actually it was yesterday his statement was " he has notified the team he wont resign and will work with the team on destinations "

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well to be fair locally this has been known for a while. Eric Francis, Boomer, Pat Steinberg they've all been hinting all week that Tkachuk wasn't coming back. They just can't be as direct. 

Just didn't get picked up but only so long you can keep that under wraps. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well to be fair locally this has been known for a while. Eric Francis, Boomer, Pat Steinberg they've all been hinting all week that Tkachuk wasn't coming back. They just can't be as direct. 

This "leak" is well played if it came from the Flames.  It puts all blame on Tkachuk making it appear like there is no other choice.  Fans will now side with the team (as opposed to seeing the Flames trade Tkachuk with no warning and reason).  It's good PR.

Plus yes, it gets the frenzy going as Phoenix says.  Teams who never thought they were in on Tkachuk could suddenly make an offer knowing they could extend him long term.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tkachuk himself has been hinting for a while.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

We need a pest with skill..and I don't think we're getting Marchand 

Unless the Flames hit a home run in the trade it's going to be awfully hard to picture this team in the playoffs. Signing an over 30 year old center just to maybe sneak into the playoffs is an awful strategy. 

I'm not even sure a "home run" would be enough. 

One thing I would like to encourage is that these players did give us multiple years of service and they preformed well while doing so. JG did what he did cause he was allowed to, MT is doing what he is allowed to regardless if we agree or not. This club has taken some major blows the last couple of weeks IMHO undeserved, and preventable. The positive with this is at least we can get some form of a return. Its not going to replace what we lost but its something. My main focus now if I am Tre is creating a trade/trades and doing everthing I can to turn this into a positve. All things happen for a reason, maybe this turns into a postive for the roster and organization. Hell JG signed in CLB no one seen that coming, maybe we get the same stroke of luck with a player we never thought we could. AS bad as it is we should try to stay optimist that it could get better.😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

One thing I would like to encourage is that these players did give us multiple years of service and they preformed well while doing so. JG did what he did cause he was allowed to, MT is doing what he is allowed to regardless if we agree or not. This club has taken some major blows the last couple of weeks IMHO undeserved, and preventable. The positive with this is at least we can get some form of a return. Its not going to replace what we lost but its something. My main focus now if I am Tre is creating a trade/trades and doing everthing I can to turn this into a positve. All things happen for a reason, maybe this turns into a postive for the roster and organization. Hell JG signed in CLB no one seen that coming, maybe we get the same stroke of luck with a player we never thought we could. AS bad as it is we should try to stay optimist that it could get better.😀

Ataboy.

It is entirely possible that those two players have made us a destination not preferred.  Kadri and Gio seemed to hate each other on the ice, and when a trade was proposed, he blocked it.  I almost don't believe his reason then.  Knew he was getting traded to some team.

It might end up that we actually win a trade this time around.  I thought Toffoli was a good trade, but that he was put in the wrong situation because of lines.  We paid a lot for the player but I didn't consider it a loss.  Jarnkrok was dumb because it's the value you pay if you are going to keep them.  Maybe they chose to not offer, but it seemed like he fit Sutter hockey even if he wasn't scoring.

As far as UFA's, there really isn't anything out there that does it for us.  Some complementary pieces, but no home runs.  Not this year.  Wait another year and put the team in a good place.  Make trades that help us long term.