2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

One guy who I think could be a legit target either way is Andre Burakovsky. He has that size and skill combo we need. His best friend is Rasmussen Andersson. He has 2 Cup rings. Still only 27. He checks a lot of boxes for this team.

Does he have some speed as well? I’ve never considered him before but he could be a good get. I like that stat-wise he tends to get more apples than goals - we need players who have the vision to setup plays as well as score. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

So Kadri is our plan B. 

he had a career year.

what are the expectations on repeating that? Would he be the #1 or #2C? 

what if we can sign him and Johnny, Trade Tkachuk. I’m only wondering if it’s better to have the better Top2C’s? I don’t mind keeping Tkachuk but want him to step up a bit more in bigger games. I get he was injured in the playoffs but in most games where the Francis hype machine takes off or media hype happens, he goes really quiet. It’s similar in the playoffs for me… 

Gaudreau, Kadri, Mang

Dube, Lindholm, Toffoli

Pelletier, Backlund, Coleman 

Lucic, Ruzicka, Jarnkrok

Lewis

You guys are better at throwing lines together. Be nice if we could graduate a few from Stockton, but if they need one more year, they need one more…

Kadri brings a Chucky element to his game as well, so I’d be ok with this. Especially with my incessant and repetitive want for a 2C. Kadri will be expensive. Just waiting for the O/S on Chucky. It should come shortly after Johnny signs, and it’ll come from NJ because they failed to land Johnny. You read it here first. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

One guy who I think could be a legit target either way is Andre Burakovsky. He has that size and skill combo we need. His best friend is Rasmussen Andersson. He has 2 Cup rings. Still only 27. He checks a lot of boxes for this team.

This is exactly what we should be looking at…regardless of our current player situation this would 100% a solid add.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

So Kadri is our plan B. 

he had a career year.

what are the expectations on repeating that? Would he be the #1 or #2C? 

Kadri is a really, really good player but I don't think the Flames should consider signing him.

He's going to be 32 at the start of the season, it's gonna take 7yrs and likely 8m to get him. 

I think he's a player that "scored 87pts" rather than an "87pt player". His previous career high in pts was 61.

Kadri is a really good player, but it won't be a contract that ages well. That being said, if the Flames lose Gaudreau, they might make that signing out of desperation. 

• Like 1

Mmm ok if Andre Burakovsky is in deed available we should Totally go after him if we loose Gaudreau…heck, I’d say forget Gaudreau and go free him….

2 others we should go hard at that may be RFA’s from Chi are:

Dominik Kubalik LW/RW

Dylan Strome C

Trade Backlund for maybe a draft pick? Add those three:

Burkaovsky/ Lindholm/ Tachuck 

manji/ Strome/ Kubalik 

Coleman/ Monahan/ Dube

that’s a formidable top 3 lineup right there…mix and match stone and Monahan but forget the the top $$$ players in Gaudreau and Kadri those 3 players and maybe a rebound season from Monahan and you have a solid and probably far more affordable top 3 lines…

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting player.  Wonder what he will get in the market.

If it was in the 5's, then yes we could target him.

Similar stats and age to Nichushkin.

Think COL will focus on Nichushkin.

If he went to market, he would be preferable over Kane.

Read somewhere we ahd interest in Kane?

Seriously?

So.

we all know NJ had interest in acquiring Chucky and that they offered us a package at the draft which included the 2nd overall, plus more. If anything at all, it indicates NJ has a heavy interest in acquiring Chucky, and it also indicates they are confident that they can sign him long term. 

I was looking into offer sheet compensation, and my hunch is that NJ has a plan A and plan B here as well. Plan A is sign Johnny Gaudreau. If Johnny signs with us, expect NJ to move to plan B: offer sheet Chucky. My guess? $10.5M for 1 year. It ensures compensation is not 4 x 1st round picks, it would be 2 x 1sts + 2nd + 3rd. It also ensures that if Calgary matches, 2 things for sure happen: 1. we can’t re-sign Mange, and 2. Chucky is a UFA at the end of this season. It really screws us and leaves BT no choice but to let Chucky go and take the compensation. 

I don’t see it as a bad thing of course. It gives us the opportunity to find a 2C and maybe sign a guy like Burakovsky. Maybe move someone + one of those compensatory picks (1st in 2024?) for Chychrun? Not bad in my eyes at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

So.

we all know NJ had interest in acquiring Chucky and that they offered us a package at the draft which included the 2nd overall, plus more. If anything at all, it indicates NJ has a heavy interest in acquiring Chucky, and it also indicates they are confident that they can sign him long term. 

I was looking into offer sheet compensation, and my hunch is that NJ has a plan A and plan B here as well. Plan A is sign Johnny Gaudreau. If Johnny signs with us, expect NJ to move to plan B: offer sheet Chucky. My guess? $10.5M for 1 year. It ensures compensation is not 4 x 1st round picks, it would be 2 x 1sts + 2nd + 3rd. It also ensures that if Calgary matches, 2 things for sure happen: 1. we can’t re-sign Mange, and 2. Chucky is a UFA at the end of this season. It really screws us and leaves BT no choice but to let Chucky go and take the compensation. 

It's great that NJ may want Tkachuk, but Tkachuk still has to sign that offersheet.

If Gaudreau stays, I really don't see Tkachuk signing an offersheet. He's been vocal about not having won anything in his career. Staying on the best line in hockey is the best way to change that.

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's great that NJ may want Tkachuk, but Tkachuk still has to sign that offersheet.

If Gaudreau stays, I really don't see Tkachuk signing an offersheet. He's been vocal about not having won anything in his career. Staying on the best line in hockey is the best way to change that.

But how much of the pie is left for Chucky if Gaudreau signs with us, huh? He’s guaranteed $9m for one year if that’s the route he wants to go with us! Then off to UFA. Not a bad idea for Chucky to sign for $10.5m in NJ and then negotiate a long term contract with his Uncle, the GM of NJ… and be on an up and coming team with all the young talent they have. Doesn’t NJ appear to be emulating the Avs? 😏

12 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

But how much of the pie is left for Chucky if Gaudreau signs with us, huh? He’s guaranteed $9m for one year if that’s the route he wants to go with us! Then off to UFA. Not a bad idea for Chucky to sign for $10.5m in NJ and then negotiate a long term contract with his Uncle, the GM of NJ… and be on an up and coming team with all the young talent they have. Doesn’t NJ appear to be emulating the Avs? 😏

I'm not too worried about Tkachuk, especially if Gaudreau stays.

I think he badly wants to be the captain, just like Brady and his father. If the Flames use that as a carrot, I think they can get that contract done. 

Maybe Tkachuk wants to play for NJ, I'm not sure. But I really don't think they are close to COL. Could be a solid team but not a sure-fire contender IMO. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

So.

I don’t see it as a bad thing of course. It gives us the opportunity to find a 2C and maybe sign a guy like Burakovsky. Maybe move someone + one of those compensatory picks (1st in 2024?) for Chychrun? Not bad in my eyes at all. 

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

Haven't seen a strong source indicate this existed.  If we are to believe everything we hear, Tkachuk and Gaudreau would have no interest in reuniting with the Museum Man. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It looks like CHI has decided to move on from Strome.

He will be a UFA.

Not that fast, but are we a team that should ignore a C available that may not cost a ton?

He's played on so many bad teams, it's hard to say what he really is.

Hard no for me on Strome.

Soft player for his size and he will cost too much for what he is.

I watched him a lot in Arizona.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Yeh that’s my concern with Stone but with Sutter as a coach it’s not as bad…I could see Sutter mod him into a great player, I mean if bay coach can it’s Sutter.

having consideration for 3rd line Ctr Stone is a great fit and he’s young enough that Sutter can mold him, and allows Cgy to move one of or both Backlund and Monahan (Heath pending)…which could open up a lot of cap $$$

As for gaudreau, at this point I don’t care if he signs or not, especially if some of theses UFA’s and RFA’s mentioned don’t get contracts use the money on them, most are younger than Gaudreau by 2-3 years so it’s potentially a re-tool on the fly that would help a lot.

as for Tachuck I think he stays long term with or without Gaudreau, just ask long as Cgy keeps adding solid players and keeps trying to win he’s gonna stay….unless Cgy looks to do a full rebuild well then I could

see Tachuck not want to say.

10 hours ago, Sarasti said:

I think he'd be a whipping boy with Sutter. Or Sutter would fix his effort level, no in-betweens. Don't really think Sutter would want him, he's likely thinking of someone nobody would guess, like Gudbranson last year. Literally saved Gudbranson's terrible play & career up to that point.

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think he'd be a whipping boy with Sutter. Or Sutter would fix his effort level, no in-betweens. Don't really think Sutter would want him, he's likely thinking of someone nobody would guess, like Gudbranson last year. Literally saved Gudbranson's terrible play & career up to that point.

Same..he's not a guy id be all in on.. if he lasts to the bargain period maybe .. tho I suspect he'll get snapped up early.. Oilers most likely 

Well I'm gonna make the call.. Johnny gone .. just don't like the way his agent has been handling it all.. I'm gonna stay away from Johnny criticism, cuz he's earned the right to play where he wants .. but just like Tavares , NYI fans can't be upset he left to go home ..but they should be upset at how he left . Same story here . Unless there's a last minute change his agent has used us as a pawn for Ufa..   also knowing that both Hayes and DeAngelo are his long time good friends ..that just solidifes I think he ends up in Philly..  they'll figure out the cap after.. they have all off season .. plus I don't think it will be a max deal 

Totally not sour grapes ..but I do believe as well that between Torts and the heavier conference he will regret the decision .. he'll be great, cuz he is .. but he wont be in MVP talk like he would here 

Down side to that too is NJ will come hard at Tkachuk.. I can see an offer sheet if they don't trade or overpay to keep him 

Now let me be wrong ..lol

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Same..he's not a guy id be all in on.. if he lasts to the bargain period maybe .. tho I suspect he'll get snapped up early.. Oilers most likely 

Well I'm gonna make the call.. Johnny gone .. just don't like the way his agent has been handling it all.. I'm gonna stay away from Johnny criticism, cuz he's earned the right to play where he wants .. but just like Tavares , NYI fans can't be upset he left to go home ..but they should be upset at how he left . Same story here . Unless there's a last minute change his agent has used us as a pawn for Ufa..   also knowing that both Hayes and DeAngelo are his long time good friends ..that just solidifes I think he ends up in Philly..  they'll figure out the cap after.. they have all off season .. plus I don't think it will be a max deal 

Totally not sour grapes ..but I do believe as well that between Torts and the heavier conference he will regret the decision .. he'll be great, cuz he is .. but he wont be in MVP talk like he would here 

Down side to that too is NJ will come hard at Tkachuk.. I can see an offer sheet if they don't trade or overpay to keep him 

Now let me be wrong ..lol

DeAngelo? Ouch. Former Sarnia Sting Anthony DeAngelo? Are you sure about that?

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

DeAngelo? Ouch. Former Sarnia Sting Anthony DeAngelo? Are you sure about that?

Ya not fully sure the connection but they've mentioned a few times on fan960 this morning that they're good buddies 

He is from NJ so not a reach their paths wouid have crossed s few times to know each other 

Oh.. and cam Atkinson too 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya not fully sure the connection but they've mentioned a few times on fan960 this morning that they're good buddies 

I honestly don't know why scouts don't go to their schools, talk to their teachers, talk to their peers. That's where you find out about their character. Not from within the hockey circles, the player and all of the contrived answers telling you what you want to hear. If you did that with Stamkos, Chycrun and maybe to a lesser extent, Kyrou, you would find out that these are solid humans.

Not a chance in hell would you find that conclusion with DeAngelo. Not just to point him out alone, because Beaulieu as well.

It shouldn't really be all about having hockey skills.

Source: lots of friends with kids that went to Northern High School where all of the Sting players go. My own daughter with Chychrun. My son in Atom-PeeWee. Chychrun was at practice night every Tuesday, being amazing with the whole league of kids. I swear he knew them all by name.

Another buddy of mine, his kid was Stamkos' math tutor. He hates hockey players. Stamkos was the first ever. The rest were jocks that made fun of the geeks. Stammer sat with them in the cafeteria, rather than his Hash Rate jock teammates.

Ya i'm in the camp this is about Philly and Philly vs Calgary. I think he'd be happy to play in either but obviously drawn to Philly but they need to clear cap room and are likely have problems doing that. 

It doesn't really make sense to me that this is about $. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya i'm in the camp this is about Philly and Philly vs Calgary. I think he'd be happy to play in either but obviously drawn to Philly but they need to clear cap room and are likely have problems doing that. 

It doesn't really make sense to me that this is about $. 

Yep . I hear the likely victims are JVR and Provorov.   To be fair I think both can be moved especially in a pure cap dump ..cuz they won't have the leverage to dictate return ..  I know JVR has no trade restrictions.. only a year left and can improve anybody's power play..wouid make him an easy move for whoever has him as a TDL deal 

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I honestly don't know why scouts don't go to their schools, talk to their teachers, talk to their peers. That's where you find out about their character. Not from within the hockey circles, the player and all of the contrived answers telling you what you want to hear. If you did that with Stamkos, Chycrun and maybe to a lesser extent, Kyrou, you would find out that these are solid humans.

Not a chance in hell would you find that conclusion with DeAngelo. Not just to point him out alone, because Beaulieu as well.

It shouldn't really be all about having hockey skills.

Source: lots of friends with kids that went to Northern High School where all of the Sting players go. My own daughter with Chychrun. My son in Atom-PeeWee. Chychrun was at practice night every Tuesday, being amazing with the whole league of kids. I swear he knew them all by name.

Another buddy of mine, his kid was Stamkos' math tutor. He hates hockey players. Stamkos was the first ever. The rest were jocks that made fun of the geeks. Stammer sat with them in the cafeteria, rather than his Hash Rate jock teammates.

It's sad ..but skill will always find a home...look at Evander Kane .somebody is gonna give him 7-8M a year over 7 for sure ..

• Like 1

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Yep . I hear the likely victims are JVR and Provorov.   To be fair I think both can be moved especially in a pure cap dump ..cuz they won't have the leverage to dictate return ..  I know JVR has no trade restrictions.. only a year left and can improve anybody's power play..wouid make him an easy move for whoever has him as a TDL deal 

I think if it were that easy it would be done by now. There are rumors going back to the TDL that Philly has been looking to move Provorov but are not finding takers. 

And looking at what it cost the Oilers to move Kassian I think the price would be very high to dump JVR. I think it's challenging because they can't eat any money they need to move the full cap hit of JVR and only have probably 2-3 teams that can do that. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think if it were that easy it would be done by now. There are rumors going back to the TDL that Philly has been looking to move Provorov but are not finding takers. 

And looking at what it cost the Oilers to move Kassian I think the price would be very high to dump JVR. I think it's challenging because they can't eat any money they need to move the full cap hit of JVR and only have probably 2-3 teams that can do that. 

Ya but they were probabaly looking at value at that time .. now it's a cap dump. Teams like Seattle. , Chicago, Arizona etc.. could be had for picks etc..

Heck . If it wasn't $7m i wouldn't hate jvr here .. but he doesn't fit cap wise 

Plus it's kind of like Monahan and to a lesser degree Lucic here.. we don't have to move them.. until we have to