2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

On the Johnny side ..I'm feeling some confidence creeping back in..  I don't expect details at this stage , but when BT gives definites like " we have been talking this week" I'll take that over what even the best insiders are saying ..

I will say tho..a Chucky offer sheet still worries me ..if there's truth to what NJ offered...and the supposed interest from NYR and NYI.. these are teams that wouid do it ..Philly too but they don't have the room 

Chicago is a mess. They're headed for a long rebuild.

Friedman thinks the Hawks want Kane and Toews to approach them about deals.

I think Calgary would be interested in Toews to centre the 3rd line. Treliving and Sutter have really valued bringing in players that have won.

It would have to be a complicated deal and more-so about CHI accommodating the player than the return for a franchise legend.

CHI would need to eat half for it to make any sense for CGY. They'd also need to take Monahan and Lucic. The Hawks are actively tanking so they may be willing to do-so. Maybe CGY sends a 3rd and Caleb Jones-type piece to make it more like the Duncan Keith deal.

It's not a move I would necessarily pursue, but it does allow the Flames to clear enough cap to re-sign the RFA's and Johnny.

3 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

it is Brew cause from what i hear the flames offered as a opener offer of 9x8yrs so im assuming it will be higher lol

$9.5 x 8 to be exact ..

Yep I stand by Panarin.. if it's an 8, then that $10.15M x8..  so I can see that to 10.25 or so being their ceiling..or should be .. 

But this gives the flame some leverage now to keep it down from there .. you could argue Forsberg as a good comparable 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

$9.5 x 8 to be exact ..

Yep I stand by Panarin.. if it's an 8, then that $10.15M x8..  so I can see that to 10.25 or so being their ceiling..or should be .. 

But this gives the flame some leverage now to keep it down from there .. you could argue Forsberg as a good comparable 

I’m not sure it does to be honest. If anything it puts more pressure on the Flames as a plan B option is now gone. 
comparable don’t matter too much in the UFA market. 

The Forsberg situation wasn’t looking good in Smashville, but it got done. Hopefully Johnny gets done soon. Maybe Johnny’s agent was keeping an eye on the Forsberg situation. Now that’s out of the way. 

Regarding Chicago, I wouldn’t target Toews. Kane is the prize there. Having both Johnny and Kane on different lines would give us 2 elite distributors. And we have the players who can snipe (Toff, Mange, etc) But, any deal with CHI would require the cap space to bring in Kane. Given that they traded away Cat and Dach, they’re not looking for young players in return. The only way we see Kane (or Toews for that matter) in Flames gear would be at the TDL - unless some major roster surgery is done (Chucky out, or Mony out, etc) 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Admittedly underwhelming..but I think we may have found some good value here .. the entire draft was pretty Meh as advertised ..

But Ronni has some size and skill.. could be a Philip Danault type .. has the size and skating already to his credit .. another year in Finland we can bring him over and see how he fits into the NA game ..

Littler is Raw..but heading to college he can shore up his game ..been a good player on a bad team thus far..but again he can score..has some size and skating ability 

Size and skating seems to be the theme of our picks this year.. were stocked with smaller skill players ..they're gonna need those mid to bottom 6 players to complement that..

Again , nobody blows me away ..but I'm not seeing misses.. I could see all 3 getting NHL time eventually 

People are seriously reaching with this one.

I will say tho..a Chucky offer sheet still worries me ..if there's truth to what NJ offered...and the supposed interest from NYR and NYI.. these are teams that wouid do it ..Philly too but they don't have the room 

I’m actually hoping for a Chucky offer sheet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

Well im Thinking johnny will be 10-10.5x8

I'd start balking at $10x8. Anything over will quickly be too much.

If it hits $19 between him and Tkachuk, I'd say we're overpaying.

@sak22 has brought this up a number of times, and sak is right, it's been a volatile league for 3 years due to coronavirus. It really has. Last year's mess alone kicked A LOT of players into career highs.

Not just Flames players.

Don't expect it again in a normal season. When every team is going without shutdown and lost time, don't expect a repeat season by anyone. Hopefully the NHL is normal again. JG at much over 10, I'd probably say no and use my money elsewhere.

That's my last leverage is cash, can't let it be exploited. There's gotta be a tipping point.

27 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I’m actually hoping for a Chucky offer sheet. 

Really?   Cuz my personal feeling on offer sheet is if you sign one you're gone ..I don't care if it's matchable or not.. you just told the team you don't want to be here ..there's the door 

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

People are seriously reaching with this one.

They're all raw at this stage .. Danault himself didn't sound like the player he's becomr either at that time ..

The Hockey News: “Some scouts have compared Phillip Danault to 2010 third-rounder Michael Bournival, a fellow QMJHL player who was a late Canadian cut for the WJC. Neither projects to be a top scorer, but they are lauded for their work ethic and character. Danault and top prospect Sean Couturier tied for second in the QMJHL with eight shorthanded points, which is a testament to his ability to excel at both ends of the ice. A member of Canada’s gold-medal team at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, Danault plays an inspired game, but has to get stronger if he wants that style to translate to the NHL level.”

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

They're all raw at this stage .. Danault himself didn't sound like the player he's becomr either at that time ..

The Hockey News: “Some scouts have compared Phillip Danault to 2010 third-rounder Michael Bournival, a fellow QMJHL player who was a late Canadian cut for the WJC. Neither projects to be a top scorer, but they are lauded for their work ethic and character. Danault and top prospect Sean Couturier tied for second in the QMJHL with eight shorthanded points, which is a testament to his ability to excel at both ends of the ice. A member of Canada’s gold-medal team at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, Danault plays an inspired game, but has to get stronger if he wants that style to translate to the NHL level.”

Everyone has a comparable until, god willing and the creek don't rise, you become the comparison. It's never really accurate.

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Really?   Cuz my personal feeling on offer sheet is if you sign one you're gone ..I don't care if it's matchable or not.. you just told the team you don't want to be here ..there's the door 

Think of the picks.lol

Could put you in a higher bracket for lottery contention.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone has a comparable until, god willing and the creek don't rise, you become the comparison. It's never really accurate.

For sure .not saying he's going to be that.. just saying he's a quality prospect for where he was picked and has the tools to build on .. not a reach 

i think Lou wants the compensation an offer sheet might give. It’s a decent haul, but  then unknown because it is then on BT to use the picks well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

For what its worth this tweet was liked by Gaudreau's sister.  But also wouldn't expect any news today as I think the gathering is for Monahan's wedding.

Probably a good time to point out, "Gaudreau's wife doesn't have anyone here".

There is literally a show called "Hockey Wives".

They'll do tonnnns of charity work. Tons.

She won't be unbusy.lol

I'll go on record to say, "if he doesn't sign here, wow, are you ever dumb".

First off. Where are you going, nicer than Calgary? I've been to the US East Coast. Yeah whatever. 2nd, what do you think about the massive weight of expectation awaiting you there?

He's signing with us, I just won't understand if he doesn't.

The, "closer to home" thing is old. Go home, miss playoffs. Now how welcomed do you feel?