2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Is Dreger suggesting it's interesting that there was no tampering before the trade?  Should Chicago have given OTT permission to talk to Debrincat first?

not that uncommon that when RFAs like this are dealt GMs allow extension talks to happen as part of the trade. Especially with these type of assets in play. 

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This is really getting annoying...  Tho I guess it depends who you believe ..

FWIW Seravelli was just in the Fan and backtracked a little on how confident he was this morning. 

this whole thing feels like there is no news to report and people are running with whatever they got to try and garner a story. 

I do think that Gaudreau wants to see what  Calgary’s max offer is, but I also think he is probably interested to see what teams will give him offers if hits the market. 

There is also no way he is going to tip his hand till he signs, I don’t think he wants to have his rights traded somewhere he isn’t interested in going, or somewhere that he might not sign.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I do think that Gaudreau wants to see what  Calgary’s max offer is, but I also think he is probably interested to see what teams will give him offers if hits the market. 

There is also no way he is going to tip his hand till he signs, I don’t think he wants to have his rights traded somewhere he isn’t interested in going, or somewhere that he might not sign.

But that's where it's a catch 22..  we made our offer .. don't like it , counter it ..  but guaranteed our max offers are 8 year..  you wanna see what other teams have , you've just said goodbye cuz our offer will be gone on July 13 ..  we can't be paying 11 or 12 

59 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

But that's where it's a catch 22..  we made our offer .. don't like it , counter it ..  but guaranteed our max offers are 8 year..  you wanna see what other teams have , you've just said goodbye cuz our offer will be gone on July 13 ..  we can't be paying 11 or 12 

The thing here is if we offer up 9.5 over 8 years its a tough contract to match even in FA because he is not worth 11+ and im sure every team knows this.

They can only offer 7 years as opposed to our 8.

It truly depends entirely on where he wants to spend the rest of his prime years because its not as if the financial situation in Calgary is worse.

Just now, Sarasti said:

The thing here is if we offer up 9.5 over 8 years its a tough contract to match even in FA because he is not worth 11+ and im sure every team knows this.

They can only offer 7 years as opposed to our 8.

It truly depends entirely on where he wants to spend the rest of his prime years because its not as if the financial situation in Calgary is worse.

but if other teams are willing to offer even $500k per more that’s $3.5 million more than the Flames in a 7 year deal. Then what are the tax structures that follow and how much would he leave on the table by playing in Calgary and paying higher tax? Do hockey players have to pay tax to the US too when working in another country? He’d then only pay tax to the state or States…either way, it’s probably a few more on the table that he’d leave by playing in Calgary.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Maybe just maybe he doesn't want to play for more than 7.

It's not like that 8th year will be paying him 10M.

Say we offer 10.8 x 7.

Probably the max that a team will pay anyway.

Just means year 8 isn't something like 6-7M.

Little John is gone. The 8th year Flames can offer is way over blown. He’s getting $80M regardless where he plays, and when the number is that big he can leave a mil or two on the table, he just needs to decide if he wants to work 7 or 8 years, most here would take the 7-year option and choice of geography. The Flames are a class organization, they treat their players right, but stupid $$ will be tossed around in a few days and little John has been very patient to see it.   

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Life could be worse ...

Edmonton just traded Kassian , a first,second and 3rd....   For a 2nd round pick 🤣🤣

The 2025 2nd is funny. Kassian won't even be in the league anymore and EDM will be wondering where that pick went

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe just maybe he doesn't want to play for more than 7.

It's not like that 8th year will be paying him 10M.

Say we offer 10.8 x 7.

Probably the max that a team will pay anyway.

Just means year 8 isn't something like 6-7M.

So say that..  he can't know in less than a week what he doesn't know now ..

Bottom line ..were being jerked around at this point .. I just hope we don't sit and wait on the 13th while players come off the board for him to finally say he's leaving...

I get it's his agent .. but we need to come out of the gates on the 13th like he's said no..  if he leaves they've already likely  cost us the option of trading his rights for what little we can get 

If we spend the money and they come back around , well too bad If we don't have it anymore 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To be fair 32 is still in the 1st.

Ok so Kassian , a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a first ...

That's gotta sting to know they had to move u that bad ... And to az...lol. 

Tho the downside is they have cap room and will probabaly use it on better players 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Eklund has Tkachuk to the Rangers as an E3 😂.

I mean they have a lot of young talent that would make sense as a return. 

Sometimes I forget Eklund exists.

Love when you guys bring that stuff up, always good for a laugh 😆 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Eklund has Tkachuk to the Rangers as an E3 😂.

I mean they have a lot of young talent that would make sense as a return. 

Saw that ... I could see a package that works there ..  give us a package with Panarin.. Drury seems down on him 

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The 2025 2nd is funny. Kassian won't even be in the league anymore and EDM will be wondering where that pick went

You could look at it this way:

So this allows Kenny to get Kulak signed for about $4M x 4? Good cap management to trade a 2nd in 2022, trade down in 1st round, a 2nd in 2024, a 3rd in 2025 + a 7th in 2024 for Kulak. Is that a strange way to look at it?

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You could look at it this way:

So this allows Kenny to get Kulak signed for about $4M x 4? Good cap management to trade a 2nd in 2022, trade down in 1st round, a 2nd in 2024, a 3rd in 2025 + a 7th in 2024 for Kulak. Is that a strange way to look at it?

I totally get the valuable cap space .. wouldn't be so funny if Holland wasn't the one that extended Kassian on that contract to begin with lol. 

Next I hope they spend it to resign Kane .. only to lose him after all the other options are signed and SJ gets him back and they have to trade for him 😁

Although word is they may go get Giroux instead 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I totally get the valuable cap space .. wouldn't be so funny if Holland wasn't the one that extended Kassian on that contract to begin with lol. 

Next I hope they spend it to resign Kane .. only to lose him after all the other options are signed and SJ gets him back and they have to trade for him 😁

Although word is they may go get Giroux instead 

I hear that, but it makes less sense than Kane.

He's not going to be $5m or less.

They need to sign a goalie and Kulak.

Losing Kassian helped, but not enough.

$10M cap remaining with 7F and 1G signed.

Skilnner takes less than $1M.

But that gets them Smith and Skinner.

3 RFA's needing deals.

Not even close to a full roster.

Klefbom allows them to go over by 4, but not great.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hear that, but it makes less sense than Kane.

He's not going to be $5m or less.

They need to sign a goalie and Kulak.

Losing Kassian helped, but not enough.

$10M cap remaining with 7F and 1G signed.

Skilnner takes less than $1M.

But that gets them Smith and Skinner.

3 RFA's needing deals.

Not even close to a full roster.

Klefbom allows them to go over by 4, but not great.

Was just reading they'll have around 18.. Keith looking likely to retire + Smith likely IR for the season ..but still ya .not great.. whatever goalie they get will likely be in the 5ish range .. likely gonna be Husso, Campbell or Kuemper 

Still think it's funny they won't get the bonus space for Keith if he retires, tho to be honest I didn't even understand why there'd be bonus space anyway 

On a side note .. Kane and Toewes probabaly gonna beg to be traded now 

While I remain highly doubtful that pick was in play for Tkachuk i'm not really a fan of the blaming Gaudreau here. he is simply exercising his rights and rights that he has earned. I get the situation sucks but honestly i point the finger at the Flames who never should have let it get to this point if they deemed Gaudreau a franchise player (which they clearly do based on their pitch). 

I don't mind them waiting it out but if they are turning down deals waiting for him that is their call not Gaudreau's.