2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Awesome ..tried to find that one again..I heard it came from Friedman but no text from him I could find.. TSN guys said the same thing 

I like Kevin, used to work with that guy 

I kinda enjoy small twitter pics with my aging eyes. Is he throating a cucumber? lol

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As an aside...when you have money and summers off, Calgary is a much better place to raise a family.

It just is. Newark, NJ? Philly?

Honestly, you've got to be kidding me.

no argument there .. but hes a Jersey kid.. His wife is from there ..  parents like having the grandparents close when theres a baby..  I get it, but agreed id rather raise a kid here .

my gut says he will still do the right thing abd sign.... but this definitely makes me nervous .. if its significant as they say , money isnt the issue .. could have signed it by now .. if he does wait til the 13th, hes willing to forego the 8th year .. not a great sign

don't care what the rules say , his agent knows full well what other offers will be coming 

maybe this is all just payback for his last deal getting done last minute and they want to make BT sweat a bit 

Ryan Leslie’s interview with BT was everything you’d expect. Saying he wants to sign both Johnny and Chucky, saying he’s not listening to outside offers for them, saying if there’s a way to get additional picks he’ll explore it… but we all know what’s said isn’t 100% accurate. Intentions are what’s shared but intentions aren’t always outcomes. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

no argument there .. but hes a Jersey kid.. His wife is from there ..  parents like having the grandparents close when theres a baby..  I get it, but agreed id rather raise a kid here .

my gut says he will still do the right thing abd sign.... but this definitely makes me nervous .. if its significant as they say , money isnt the issue .. could have signed it by now .. if he does wait til the 13th, hes willing to forego the 8th year .. not a great sign

don't care what the rules say , his agent knows full well what other offers will be coming 

maybe this is all just payback for his last deal getting done last minute and they want to make BT sweat a bit 

There is also a group of wives and girlfriends on the team that she appears to be close with, that are also raising babies far away from home.  From my own experience friends who have gone through it recently were a far greater support system than our parents were, parents are handy but can be annoying at times.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sak22 said:

There is also a group of wives and girlfriends on the team that she appears to be close with, that are also raising babies far away from home.  From my own experience friends who have gone through it recently were a far greater support system than our parents were, parents are handy but can be annoying at times.  

True dat. We all know it. "Oh no, Calgary, it's so far away".

Yup, that's the point. I'm my own man.

I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't stay. And chooses the tailpipe of NA.

It isn't sensible. Especially in the current political climate that I wish Canadians would stay tf away from.

We're Norway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I agree with all that .. just that he reportedly has a Great offer from Calgary that is being seen as significant .. not likely to be matched .. so we're not lowballing him ...  so why hasn't he signed it? Unless he's debating that very dilemma 

my gut says he stays too.. but it gets weaker by the day  

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree with all that .. just that he reportedly has a Great offer from Calgary that is being seen as significant .. not likely to be matched .. so we're not lowballing him ...  so why hasn't he signed it? Unless he's debating that very dilemma 

my gut says he stays too.. but it gets weaker by the day  

Why did Landeskog and Ovechkin wait it out last year?  Why did Stamkos a few years back.  Maybe seeing if they can improve their offer, I don't know, maybe he's planning on coming up for Stampede and wants to deal with it then, maybe he is still looking at other teams and seeing if they do anything around the draft and lead up to free agency.  I'm not convinced he's staying, but I'm not convinced we'd only be battling with 2 teams if he hit free agency, those 2 teams suck and aren't a Gaudreau away from winning, I still think the guy is a professional and an adult so probably prefers winning vs. eating mom's cooking.

• Like 1

We can't just focus on only one thing this summer.

We have other things to take care of.

Can we get a top 6 C?

What would it take?

Staying the same may not even be an option, so we need to show a move to improve.

Testing the market on PLD.

Looking at available D-men.

Have those discussions now, since the draft has teams doing stupid things.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Why did Landeskog and Ovechkin wait it out last year?  Why did Stamkos a few years back.  Maybe seeing if they can improve their offer, I don't know, maybe he's planning on coming up for Stampede and wants to deal with it then, maybe he is still looking at other teams and seeing if they do anything around the draft and lead up to free agency.  I'm not convinced he's staying, but I'm not convinced we'd only be battling with 2 teams if he hit free agency, those 2 teams suck and aren't a Gaudreau away from winning, I still think the guy is a professional and an adult so probably prefers winning vs. eating mom's cooking.

Ovechkin was never going anywhere so waiting was  no problem , Landsekog signed on the eve to get his 8 year ..  Stamkos was different as there was still the legal tamper period .. he shopped and signed before the deadline 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We can't just focus on only one thing this summer.

We have other things to take care of.

Can we get a top 6 C?

What would it take?

Staying the same may not even be an option, so we need to show a move to improve.

Testing the market on PLD.

Looking at available D-men.

Have those discussions now, since the draft has teams doing stupid things.

This is the problem , until the Johnny domino falls we are handcuffed to unable to be doing anything .. that's why I'm convinced it needs to be done by draft

PLD has allegedly been vocal in hockey circles that he wants to play in MTL. Regardless of this “news” I’m already averse to trading for a player who’s asked out of the 2 NHL teams he’s played for thus far. 👎🏻

If the rumours are true and MTL can swing a deal for PLD (say Drouin, maybe something extra?) does MTL still draft Wright? Or do they look at Slafkovsky since they’ve got Suzuki and PLD down the middle? 🤔 That 2OA in NJ may become more significant. 

18 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

So word on the Twitterverse Is that Flames have made a "significant" offer that financially will likely not be matched .. but no word from johnny's camp .

That makes me nervous ..  throw in new wife, bay on the way, family and home is down east.. that tells me he's weighing home and family over career and $..  family usually wins 

Reminds me of the Tavares scenario. On the one hand if he does leave , it's for all the right reasons and can't fault the guy for that..

On the other , if that was gonna be an option he should let the flames know to at least trade his rights . Even if signing here isn't off the table .

Good to note that he didn't block a trade like Tavares did ..that was a dbag move 

Yups.  Sounds like the offer has been made to the Gaudreau camp but the Gaudreau camp has not negotiated.  They have not countered or rejected.  Just silence on that end... Which to me is not a sign that they are "talking details" like some have suggested.  They are not crossing the T's and dotting the I's.  This isn't working out the clauses, options, bonuses, structure, etc. 

There is no negotiations happening.

12 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Ok I have to ask…If Cgy were to trade Gaudreau’s rights to another team before FA…would that team then be able

to offer 8 years? 

They would not be able to. I believe the cut-off for that 8th year is the trade deadline. Only way that an NJ could get Gaudreau for 8 years is if they did a sign and trade with Calgary 

On 7/2/2022 at 4:18 AM, The_People1 said:

Yups.  Sounds like the offer has been made to the Gaudreau camp but the Gaudreau camp has not negotiated.  They have not countered or rejected.  Just silence on that end... Which to me is not a sign that they are "talking details" like some have suggested.  They are not crossing the T's and dotting the I's.  This isn't working out the clauses, options, bonuses, structure, etc. 

There is no negotiations happening.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this. He's holding us hostage. We took him and helped him become what he is today and what we are today. He's our face.

What does he? Go to NJ to be on Hughes' team? It won't be yours. This is your team.

If he turns his back, my level of respect will go waaaay down.

I get the maximize earnings and closer to home stuff. But really, you'd be turning your back on the crest that represents your legacy proudly. It's your team. Running away would be a horrible look.

Don't do TomBlockchainery stuff.

He's very unforgiving.

Some interesting rumors out there.  Not that any of them are true or even well documented, but I find it interesting at who they are talking about.  NY having interest in Monahan.  CGY having interest in Debrincat.  The latter smacks of either trading Tkachuk to land him or knowing they are losing Gaudreau and looking to replace the offense.  The only thing is losing Gaudreau means you need to strip down the team to get Debrincat.  

If the Flames can keep Gaudreau, then swapping The Cat for Tkachuk or Mangiapane + say Dube or Kylington or Valimaki saves a little money.  The only advantage to The Cat over Tkachuk is one year at $6.4M, where he has a $9M qualifying offer next year.  Yikes.  

The other player seeming to be in play is Puljujarvi, who EDM seems to only want to get a pick back for. EDM media trashing him (McDavid calls him a play killer) isn't helping his value.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some interesting rumors out there.  Not that any of them are true or even well documented, but I find it interesting at who they are talking about.  NY having interest in Monahan.  CGY having interest in Debrincat.  The latter smacks of either trading Tkachuk to land him or knowing they are losing Gaudreau and looking to replace the offense.  The only thing is losing Gaudreau means you need to strip down the team to get Debrincat.  

If the Flames can keep Gaudreau, then swapping The Cat for Tkachuk or Mangiapane + say Dube or Kylington or Valimaki saves a little money.  The only advantage to The Cat over Tkachuk is one year at $6.4M, where he has a $9M qualifying offer next year.  Yikes.  

The other player seeming to be in play is Puljujarvi, who EDM seems to only want to get a pick back for. EDM media trashing him (McDavid calls him a play killer) isn't helping his value.  

Doesnt look good to anyone who may want to play there either. If McJesus doesnt like you, youre hooped.

24 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Doesnt look good to anyone who may want to play there either. If McJesus doesnt like you, youre hooped.

Pooly did well in the first third of the season, while Yamamoto struggled to get a shot on nets.  After Tippy was fired, Yammer took off and Pooly struggled.  I watched some of their games, where McD was frustrated with Pooly.  It's no doubt that he didn't fit in.  Yet he was responsible for less goals against playing with them.  Why Yammer was praised was because they sent him in to dig out the puck or forecheck.  So, offense was the only thing they wanted.  

He's worth a 3rd.  Get him signed and up his value.  Trade him if he doesn't fit the team.  But anyway, give him a chance to prove his team is just a couple of elites with nothing else.    

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Pooly did well in the first third of the season, while Yamamoto struggled to get a shot on nets.  After Tippy was fired, Yammer took off and Pooly struggled.  I watched some of their games, where McD was frustrated with Pooly.  It's no doubt that he didn't fit in.  Yet he was responsible for less goals against playing with them.  Why Yammer was praised was because they sent him in to dig out the puck or forecheck.  So, offense was the only thing they wanted.  

He's worth a 3rd.  Get him signed and up his value.  Trade him if he doesn't fit the team.  But anyway, give him a chance to prove his team is just a couple of elites with nothing else.    

Even having a big body in front of the net will get their fair share of greasy goals which is something that is lacking as it is.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this. He's holding us hostage. We took him and helped him become what he is today and what we are today. He's our face.

What does he? Go to NJ to be on Hughes' team? It won't be yours. This is your team.

If he turns his back, my level of respect will go waaaay down.

I get the maximize earnings and closer to home stuff. But really, you'd be turning your back on the crest that represents your legacy proudly. It's your team. Running away would be a horrible look.

Don't do TomBlockchainery stuff.

He's very unforgiving.

We all care about your level of respect... But does Gaudreau?  Speaking of "face of the team", we've been wanting to give Tkachuk the Captaincy over Gaudreau... Is he happy about that?

This situation is very similar with Panarin/CBJ few years ago.  When Panarin left, CBJ was shattered.  Never recovered.  Panarin has gone on to keep scoring.

I'm okay if Gaudreau goes but BT needs to pivot immediately to a retool to regain trust.  If not then he needs to go.   None of this, "out goes Gaudreau but we will have internal growth to offset the loss".  Just slight of hand nonsense that will disappoint all fans who to win a Cup, not just make the playoffs and be one-and-done and be happy with that.