Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Thurs 26 May 2022

rocketdoctor

I do admit they played good hockey. I’d like them to get to the net more. But then That’s what happened the other years. We won a lot and once teams cut off the slot we couldn’t control the game anymore/ 

it’s tough. I’m sorry for being a negative Nelly guys! Trying to remain positive after this. It’s hard when Lindholm is a do all player. 

Backlund came up huge and loved his game. He could Be great if he played with that intensity all the time. But that is what separates the greats from the goods .

19 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Markstrom. When SN showed the stat that his save % was significantly higher against every other team except EDM, I shuddered. All the positivity in the world didn’t help me shake the startle I got with every shot on net. Blockchain. I didn’t think I’d ever feel that again once we got rid of Smith…

And yet we won 2/4 with each home team winning.

That 9-5 game was a back half of a B2B set with Marky playing both.

The win for us before that was a 3-1 win.

Game 1 win for EDM was literally game 1.

Game 2 win was a tie game and Poolparty picked Kylington.

Allowed Draisaitl to walk past Tanev.

Context is key when looking at the regular season stats.

It means nothing.

Perhaps we should have started Vladar during the regular season more against the Oil.

Protect your starter and don't run him too many games down the stretch.

It was a tough schedule and Marky faltered at the wrong time.

He really needed a sweep to keep him fresh for this series.

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

For what it’s worth, the argument that Coleman looking at the puck indicates guilt is ridiculous. There was zero times in my lifetime playing hockey when a teammate of mine shot a puck on net and I completely looked away from the puck. Absolute bollocks. 

No, I'm sure it was because Coleman extended his leg towards the puck that made it definitive for the officials.  His eyes shouldn't have come into play.

Just now, robrob74 said:

we’ll see. I did see better efforts than previous years, but i also saw some folding by some of the players we needed to win. We were lucky to get out of Dallas. 

but I just don’t know if they can play a full 60 when it matters. They showed that again. 

Comparing this to previous is bogus.  Last 2 series we had Brodie and Giordano as a top pair, Hanifin and Andersson were in a major increased role this playoffs, add in Tanev missing extensive time changed PK responsibilities and ice time.  They failed in their first test as a top pairing, guess what?  many do.   Those D-men put up almost 100 points in the regular season, nobody expected that.  They are 25 years old, they can improve on this.  Tkachuk is 24 he can improve.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

tough one! 

i remember the 960 guys saying we the concern flames fans had after game one was ridiculous. I really think they don’t give fans enough credit that we actually know what we see. 

we knew if they didn’t clean up the play that the oilers would have a field day. And it was the case. 

whenever we got a lead in game 2 we folded (with helps of the refs, but then the Flames also didn’t do themselves favours). 

I will always say, when wr play our game we can win, but the mental fortitude takes them away. 

they played a lot of good hockey this year. They started good, and they made it a fight to OT but lost. Good on the oilers for sticking to their game plan and taking out the Flames. 

The broadcast said the Oilers were 10th in the Conference when they hire Woodcroft... and they've been on fire since they got Kane.  I mean, what's the Oilers record after they got those two?  Possibly better than the Flames.  Meanwhile, the Flames secondary scoring dried up 3 weeks before the playoffs began and it carried into the playoffs.  The Oilers may have been the better team to begin the series.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I do admit they played good hockey. I’d like them to get to the net more. But then That’s what happened the other years. We won a lot and once teams cut off the slot we couldn’t control the game anymore/ 

it’s tough. I’m sorry for being a negative Nelly guys! Trying to remain positive after this. It’s hard when Lindholm is a do all player. 

Backlund came up huge and loved his game. He could Be great if he played with that intensity all the time. But that is what separates the greats from the goods .

It's all well and good to suggest that they need to go to the net.

There was little room to get the puck there.

Can't go up the middle very often.

The Oilers collapsed into the middle when we got guys there.

Te Oilers were able to get separation by draw a sucker away from the front.

Finding a gut uncovered.

We didn't have that luxury.

Our D stunk up the first 4 games, and was only okay with Tanev out there.

Imjured and all.

We can survive with the top pair we had, plus Guddy.

We couldn't do it with Kyl alone with his thoughts and Zaddy playing odd minutes and pairs.

We got away from what made us the best team at holding a lead after one.

Brutality.

Constanst pressure.

Cycling.

Attacking.

Very much a passive set of games against the Oilers.

Push until you tire out, then try to stay in the game.

Just now, The_People1 said:

The broadcast said the Oilers were 10th in the Conference when they hire Woodcroft... and they've been on fire since they got Kane.  I mean, what's the Oilers record after they got those two?  Possibly better than the Flames.  Meanwhile, the Flames secondary scoring dried up 3 weeks before the playoffs began and it carried into the playoffs.  The Oilers may have been the better team to begin the series.

it is true. I was worried the depth would dry up. It has in the past. Maybe adding Pelletier and others will help? I dunno .

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

We were one and the Oilers were two.

It was something like one point difference.

Not sure of the timing of Kane, but Woody saw an equal record as us.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Finding a gut uncovered.

Imjured and all.

We couldn't do it with Kyl alone with his thoughts and Zaddy playing odd minutes and pairs.

Brutality.

Constanst pressure.

Cycling.

Attacking.

goals are scored from there and other teams play to get there. If we can’t get there then are we a good team? Plays die on the outside one and out shots. There’s no point then. 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

No, I'm sure it was because Coleman extended his leg towards the puck that made it definitive for the officials.  His eyes shouldn't have come into play.

How about the Dube charging penalty?

The NHL is unwatchable.

I'm going to follow that script.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it is true. I was worried the depth would dry up. It has in the past. Maybe adding Pelletier and others will help? I dunno .

The depth wasn't so much the problem in this series.

Power vs power didn't work out well for us.

McD was 7-0 against our top line in line scoring.

Tonight he was pushed down to 7-1.

Then made it 8-1.

The 4th line was caved in this series too.

Look how many goals were scored with Lucic out there.

Regular season you can fford a tough line.

But playoffs, if they aren't pounding the Satoshi Nakamoto out of players, they are non factors.

On the plus side that is.

You need a scoring line all through the lineup.

4th line has to score.

They did it in Dallas but were minus many in this one.

Would have been better to bring in Pelletier-Rozie-Pospicil.

Or something like that.

For this series at least.

Pillow fighting.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No offense to Backlund because he played great this series but when your best player is Backlund, then you aren't going to go very far.

I disagree!  I think there’s more to Backlund’s game than even he is aware of, and this series should a touch of it.  He needs a coach with the wherewithal to pull it off of him.  He had better player to work with (Mangie in particular), and enough pressure to expand his game, and he could step up.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Comparing this to previous is bogus.  Last 2 series we had Brodie and Giordano as a top pair, Hanifin and Andersson were in a major increased role this playoffs, add in Tanev missing extensive time changed PK responsibilities and ice time.  They failed in their first test as a top pairing, guess what?  many do.   Those D-men put up almost 100 points in the regular season, nobody expected that.  They are 25 years old, they can improve on this.  Tkachuk is 24 he can improve.

how old is… are other players who perform in the playoffs?

we act like you need experience but did Oettinger? was it not his first go? 

i liked Andersson’s fame, but Hanifin was off and on. How many years has he played? My guess is 7. It’s not like he is a rookie or 3 rd year pro. 

id be ok if he was a 2nd pair D. Andersson is a 1st pair, but needs a compliment to him… it’s all about slotting. 

Tanev got injured. Every team deals with injuries in the playoffs. I love Tanev. He’s everything that went well with this team this year. The top pair was good, but the truth is, I don’t blame them as much as I blame the team getting away from the structure. It’s what killed them and what killed them in the past. 

Coleman has ample playoff experience but he chose tonight to have a bad game and help the oil get back into a game we were up 2-0. He was making Poor plays all over the ice. That’s playoff experience… it’s a myth.

1 minute ago, flames for life said:

I disagree!  I think there’s more to Backlund’s game than even he is aware of, and this series should a touch of it.  He needs a coach with the wherewithal to pull it off of him.  He had better player to work with (Mangie in particular), and enough pressure to expand his game, and he could step up.

i think so, and maybe playing him in a key defender role hinders it.

what if we went, 

Gaudreau, Backlund and Mangiapane?

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

goals are scored from there and other teams play to get there. If we can’t get there then are we a good team? Plays die on the outside one and out shots. There’s no point then. 

I'm saying that we allowed them to do the things we weren't allowed to do.

In a lot of ways, their D played better down low.

But too many times we shot ourselves in the foot.

When we did go through the middle, we passed to the point.

We actually had quite a few ten bell chances from the slot that turned into easy saves.

Sticks in hands, sticks on pucks.

They got a lot from the side of the net, while we too far away.

Not from lack of trying, but from lack of Backlund type plays.

The goal that was called back was the way you get pucks in.

Take it hard to the net and pounce on the puck.

Tkachuk never seemed to be close and Gaudreau is not that player.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Finding a gut uncovered.

Imjured and all.

Brutality.

Constanst pressure.

Cycling.

Attacking.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Finding a gut uncovered.

Imjured and all.

Brutality.

Constanst pressure.

Cycling.

Attacking.

That’s why I said the Oilers had us playing into their game.  Our defence lost the advantage.  You can’t have constant pressure on a team with a speed cycle engaged.  And the Oilers short fast passes took away most of our attack, to the point that our defence became hesitant to attack the player.  This allowed Edmonton to set up better and gave them space.  It’s the exact same thing that made us good all year.  They beat us at our own game. 

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm saying that we allowed them to do the things we weren't allowed to do.

In a lot of ways, their D played better down low.

But too many times we shot ourselves in the foot.

When we did go through the middle, we passed to the point.

We actually had quite a few ten bell chances from the slot that turned into easy saves.

Sticks in hands, sticks on pucks.

They got a lot from the side of the net, while we too far away.

Not from lack of trying, but from lack of Backlund type plays.

The goal that was called back was the way you get pucks in.

Take it hard to the net and pounce on the puck.

Tkachuk never seemed to be close and Gaudreau is not that player.

i was just telling a friend tonight who is new to hockey asking why the oilers can go through the areas easier, or get better chances. 

we tend to make odd plays with the puck by over thinking it. We can have the most odd man rushes but make a play that seems fancier for beauty-sakes or being generous to team mates, but it ends up easy saves.

Just now, flames for life said:

That’s why I said the Oilers had us playing into their game.  Our defence lost the advantage.  You can’t have constant pressure on a team with a speed cycle engaged.  And the Oilers short fast passes took away most of our attack, to the point that our defence became hesitant to attack the player.  This allowed Edmonton to set up better and gave them space.  It’s the exact same thing that made us good all year.  They beat us at our own game. 

we also get away from that play. We play better with short fast passes. 

we did that until part way through the 2nd and suddenly we couldn’t make a pas to safe our lives and they seemed to be going with cross ice passes to no one or to the middle with no one there, or to points in the D zone that were empty. That is when the oilers got going. They weren’t skating until we got away from the short passes.

Disappointing end to what was a fun season.

I wasn't high on this team in the fall and I was wrong. It absolutely sucks the way it ended, but they were able to win a round. Now obviously, more playoff success would have been better, but for a team that has had almost no playoff success in 20yrs, it was nice to see

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Good on the oilers for sticking to their game plan and taking out the Flames. 

Seriously?....   WTF dude?...   🙂   There is an orange and blue jersey just waiting for you at the nearest mall...   

Maybe you should go buy it...   😄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

how old is… are other players who perform in the playoffs?

we act like you need experience but did Oettinger? was it not his first go? 

i liked Andersson’s fame, but Hanifin was off and on. How many years has he played? My guess is 7. It’s not like he is a rookie or 3 rd year pro. 

id be ok if he was a 2nd pair D. Andersson is a 1st pair, but needs a compliment to him… it’s all about slotting. 

Tanev got injured. Every team deals with injuries in the playoffs. I love Tanev. He’s everything that went well with this team this year. The top pair was good, but the truth is, I don’t blame them as much as I blame the team getting away from the structure. It’s what killed them and what killed them in the past. 

Coleman has ample playoff experience but he chose tonight to have a bad game and help the oil get back into a game we were up 2-0. He was making Poor plays all over the ice. That’s playoff experience… it’s a myth.

I think that players like Ras and Hanifin don't have the resume of playoff wins to really be a top pair.  Both of them have been past the 1st round once.  27 games of expreince and 10 of those included the play-in and playoff where we also went out in the first actual round.  When your top pair is -10 and -11, then you have a problem.  Tanev didn't have much more, but then again, he was gone or injured for this series.  When he was there, he was a calming influence.  Kyl played his best beside him, since he had confidence in his partner.  

I have zero problem with Coleman.  They called bush league stiff on him.  He played the ay I wanted him to, not a top goal scorer.  I do agree that some others with a ton of playoff experience didn't contribute enough.  Lewis got burned for costly penalties, but they were bush.  Toffoli did a lot of things right, but was on the worng line to help in other ways.  Lucic was a black hole after game 1.    

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i was just telling a friend tonight who is new to hockey asking why the oilers can go through the areas easier, or get better chances. 

we tend to make odd plays with the puck by over thinking it. We can have the most odd man rushes but make a play that seems fancier for beauty-sakes or being generous to team mates, but it ends up easy saves.

I think we didn't change that aspect from the regular season.  It's not about looking for the pretty play, it's about spreading out the ice.  Dump and chase is fine if you send in two guys.  Passing off on an odd man rush is great, if that guy is open.  The Johnny to Stone goal was what it's supposed to look like.  

We are a much better team when we don't burn the candle in the D-zone.  No gas left for that odd man rush.

The guy with the puck has a decent chance and just drills it.

No a bad play, but the other guy is too raf back to attack the rebound.

I'm not here to argue perceptions of a game or series, but boiling it down to one thing is not the best idea.

You could probably find 10 reasons we lost 4 games.