Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Thurs 26 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, robrob74 said:

I don’t want to sign Tkachuk. He’s a massive no show majority of the playoff games. He’s not worth 10M.

For a guy "built for the playoffs" he's had two standout games in his playoff career. Game 1 against EDM and Game 1 against COL. The rest has been a lot of blah

Just now, flames for life said:

By the letter of the law—-a distinct kicking motion should be exactly that.  If you have to review and “interpret” how someone who is hooked up with the goalie, and being pushed in the upper leg by the defence (the leg has to straighten where he was being hit), then it’s not following the letter of the law.  It’s being adjusted to opinion.  It was a bad call all around.

Based on technicality, that goal should've counted because the call on the ice was a goal.  There just wasn't enough evidence to rule that a distinct kicking motion.  I think it was a 60% kick... but need better evidence than 60%... needs to be 99% kicking motion.  So even though I think it was a 60% kick and shouldn't have counted based on the spirit of the law, the goal should've counted anyways.

Guys, this series was all about Mcbaby and we all know it, they won the series even before we started it. The flames had no chance and when the refs had the chance to decide their fate, the did not hesitate to drop the guillotine. We never stood a chance in this series . Look at even how this whole series was portrayed by SN...it was again no chance for Calgary.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's okay.  I don't think we were getting passed COL anyways the way we have played these playoffs.  Barely getting passed DAL and then struggling to do basic stuff against EDM.  

And that's the point.  COL was always the fave.

We could have made a series of it, but I think we would have to play like we did against Dallas.

Losing Tanev killed our defense.

I doubt I will watch any of the COL series (assume they get by STL).

Far more interesting (and better called) games in the East.

SN will be more one sided than they were in this series.

Lick McD's butt a little more, he's chafed.

As far as RFA's etc.

Tkuchuk will probably reveal he needs surgery.

Tanev probably requires surgery to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff.

Hanifin might have a hangnail.

Sign the guys we need.

Bread, Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Decide whether to ttrade Kylington after a breakout season.

Don't re-sign Zaddy unless it's for $2m or less.

Guddy if at all posible for the same.

Trade Hanifin and Dube.

Monahan, not really sure what to do there.

Jarnkrok is fine, and maybe for $1.5M or less he comes back.

Ask Lucic to retire after you give him his bonus money.

Consider Lewis for one more year.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And that's the point.  COL was always the fave.

We could have made a series of it, but I think we would have to play like we did against Dallas.

Losing Tanev killed our defense.

I doubt I will watch any of the COL series (assume they get by STL).

Far more interesting (and better called) games in the East.

SN will be more one sided than they were in this series.

Lick McD's butt a little more, he's chafed.

As far as RFA's etc.

Tkuchuk will probably reveal he needs surgery.

Tanev probably requires surgery to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff.

Hanifin might have a hangnail.

Sign the guys we need.

Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Decide whether to ttrade Kylington after a breakout season.

Don't re-sign Zaddy unless it's for $2m or less.

Guddy if at all posible for the same.

Trade Hanifin and Dube.

Monahan, not really sure what to do there.

Jarnkrok is fine, and maybe for $1.5M or less he comes back.

Ask Lucic to retire after you give him his bonus money.

Consider Lewis for one more year.

We need Tkachuk?  Why? he's a bum

It all comes down to the no-goal call as a perfect example of how the refs are all too often seem to be hell-bent on ruining the game of hockey...

Pi**ed-off would be an understatement...    Sad bout the state of hockey due to mismanagement would be closer to the truth...

Time to abolish to  Referees Union Association, it's overdue...   Who runs things anyways, the league, or the refs...

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For a guy "built for the playoffs" he's had two standout games in his playoff career. Game 1 against EDM and Game 1 against COL. The rest has been a lot of blah

Tkachuk was actually horrible after Game 1.  He's not even skating out there.  He's standing half the time and losing the puck so easily.  

@rocketdoctor Thank you for the season and all the GDTs and the fun hockey pools. You are something else brother. 

Like most of you, I’m real sour right now. 
- Sour we lost to the Oilers

- Sour this promising season ended earlier than I anticipated

- Sour the flames didn’t play to their potential this series. 

Flames fan or not, that call will be another immortalized error for the NHL, and the 2nd against this team. Regardless of those that believe it was a kicking motion, there are countless examples of more blatant kicking plays that were ruled a goal. This feels personal and targeted and I’m going to take it that way, considering at least one of those allowed kicking goals was against the flames. 

At the end of the day, we were down 3-1 to the Oilers…. 

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Based on technicality, that goal should've counted because the call on the ice was a goal.  There just wasn't enough evidence to rule that a distinct kicking motion.  I think it was a 60% kick... but need better evidence than 60%... needs to be 99% kicking motion.  So even though I think it was a 60% kick and shouldn't have counted based on the spirit of the law, the goal should've counted anyways.

I found it interesting that when the goal was initially disallowed the commentators immediately said it was a poor call, and then spent the next twenty minutes or more trying to convince themselves otherwise.  This included Bieksa having to assume Coleman’s eyes “looked like he knew he pretended not to kick the puck.  Really!?!  The puck heading into the net had nothing to do with it!!?!  It’s sad when a game is altered  or manipulated that way.

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

@rocketdoctor Thank you for the season and all the GDTs and the fun hockey pools. You are something else brother. 

Like most of you, I’m real sour right now. 
- Sour we lost to the Oilers

- Sour this promising season ended earlier than I anticipated

- Sour the flames didn’t play to their potential this series. 

Flames fan or not, that call will be another immortalized error for the NHL, and the 2nd against this team. Regardless of those that believe it was a kicking motion, there are countless examples of more blatant kicking plays that were ruled a goal. This feels personal and targeted and I’m going to take it that way, considering at least one of those allowed kicking goals was against the flames. 

At the end of the day, we were down 3-1 to the Oilers…. 

players stop into the puck all the time. They don’t try to move out of the way, so how is that not intent regarding how the panel tried to justify the goal. Any goal off the feet should go back to no goal if that is the case.

For a team facing elimination I thought they’d be better

not a difficult dissection here. End of day Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Markstrom weren’t very good in this series. Flames are going home because of it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I found it interesting that when the goal was initially disallowed the commentators immediately said it was a poor call, and then spent the next twenty minutes or more trying to convince themselves otherwise.  This included Bieksa having to assume Coleman’s eyes “looked like he knew he pretended not to kick the puck.  Really!?!  The puck heading into the net had nothing to do with it!!?!  It’s sad when a game is altered  or manipulated that way.

For sure it was a bad call based on technicality.  Call on the ice was a goal and the evidence just should not have been convincing enough to over turn the call.  I mean, what is "kicking" and what is "directing"?  The line is so blurry that I think the goal should've counted... but I'm just saying.  In my personal opinion, that was a 60% "kicking" motion and 100% intentionally directing the puck into the net with his skates.

Regarding Chucky - you all know I was willing to trade him earlier in the season, and his playoffs simply confirmed what I already knew. Every team is high on him in the league. Perfect time to trade him after a 100 point season and 40 goals. This guy is Monahan 2.0 with a different skill set, feeding off playing with Lindy and Johnny. If any of you out there see fit to pay this guy $9m or more per year, I can recommend a doctor for you. 

Toffoli disappointed me. I will still argue that he didn’t have the right C to play with, but even without that C I expected more from him. 
Not good enough. 

Backlund. Man oh man. You were a superstar these playoffs. I was wrong. I thought you were done. But you were glorious. Head high buddy. 

Markstrom. When SN showed the stat that his save % was significantly higher against every other team except EDM, I shuddered. All the positivity in the world didn’t help me shake the startle I got with every shot on net. Blockchain. I didn’t think I’d ever feel that again once we got rid of Smith…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For sure it was a bad call based on technicality.  Call on the ice was a goal and the evidence just should not have been convincing enough to over turn the call.  I mean, what is "kicking" and what is "directing"?  The line is so blurry that I think the goal should've counted... but I'm just saying.  In my personal opinion, that was a 60% "kicking" motion and 100% intentional directing the puck into the net with his skates.

For what it’s worth, the argument that Coleman looking at the puck indicates guilt is ridiculous. There was zero times in my lifetime playing hockey when a teammate of mine shot a puck on net and I completely looked away from the puck. Absolute bollocks. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For a team facing elimination I thought they’d be better

not a difficult dissection here. End of day Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Markstrom weren’t very good in this series. Flames are going home because of it. 

The Flames played the same way they played in Game 4 in the best effort to shut down McDavid.  It was much more passive in the neutral zone than they have played all season.  And McDavid wasn't really allowed to do anything for 60 minutes so we had a chance.

But yes.  Our top line got outplayed by the Oilers top line so badly that Sutter had to dismantle the top line towards the end.  That's how bad it was.

Unpopular opinion, but I hope they can bring the majority of this group back.  Let this be a learning experience, sometimes you have to learn to lose before you can win.  A lot of people here didn't expect this team to be playing this round, a lot of people called for a full on rebuild, those people can eat some crow.  We were better than the non-playoff team next year and can improve from the 2nd round this year.  Trust the process.  

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Regarding Chucky - you all know I was willing to trade him earlier in the season, and his playoffs simply confirmed what I already knew. Every team is high on him in the league. Perfect time to trade him after a 100 point season and 40 goals. This guy is Monahan 2.0 with a different skill set, feeding off playing with Lindy and Johnny. If any of you out there see fit to pay this guy $9m or more per year, I can recommend a doctor for you. 

Toffoli disappointed me. I will still argue that he didn’t have the right C to play with, but even without that C I expected more from him. 
Not good enough. 

Backlund. Man oh man. You were a superstar these playoffs. I was wrong. I thought you were done. But you were glorious. Head high buddy. 

Markstrom. When SN showed the stat that his save % was significantly higher against every other team except EDM, I shuddered. All the positivity in the world didn’t help me shake the startle I got with every shot on net. Blockchain. I didn’t think I’d ever feel that again once we got rid of Smith…

tough one! 

i remember the 960 guys saying we the concern flames fans had after game one was ridiculous. I really think they don’t give fans enough credit that we actually know what we see. 

we knew if they didn’t clean up the play that the oilers would have a field day. And it was the case. 

whenever we got a lead in game 2 we folded (with helps of the refs, but then the Flames also didn’t do themselves favours). 

I will always say, when wr play our game we can win, but the mental fortitude takes them away. 

they played a lot of good hockey this year. They started good, and they made it a fight to OT but lost. Good on the oilers for sticking to their game plan and taking out the Flames. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I hope they can bring the majority of this group back.  Let this be a learning experience, sometimes you have to learn to lose before you can win.  A lot of people here didn't expect this team to be playing this round, a lot of people called for a full on rebuild, those people can eat some crow.  We were better than the non-playoff team next year and can improve from the 2nd round this year.  Trust the process.  

we’ll see. I did see better efforts than previous years, but i also saw some folding by some of the players we needed to win. We were lucky to get out of Dallas. 

but I just don’t know if they can play a full 60 when it matters. They showed that again. 

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Very popular opinion in my opinion.  I'm not as hurt by this loss as I was when we lost to DAL a couple years ago.  I wanted to blow that team up so badly.  This time around, we need some tweaks.  Of course depends if Gaudreau even wants to come back long term.  Maybe he thinks we don't have a good enough team to win a Cup and he wants to try another team.

Don't want to get into that today as we can talk off-season in the coming weeks.