Playoffs GDT Flames @ Stars - Game 4 - Monday 9 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Going to have catch up  with this game tomorrow.   2.30am start with work next day is not a good combo.   Anyways I have watched the last 2 Live from the start and we lost (I missed the first period game 1 and we won).  So perhaps not watching live will be good Karma!!

So cheer loudly for me guys.

Lots of positive stuff in the GDT.  Cheer the Flames on and send all that positive energy to them!

Go Flames Go!

Go Flames Go!

GO FLAMES GO!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

4a87b031feb05526c3ac5a0245743e21.png

Line 2...

Stay positive RD... stay positive......

Clearly, Sutter likes the Dube - Jarnkrok - Coleman line.  I do too.  They do well on both ends of the ice.  The Mange-Backlund-Toffoli combo doesn't work, hasn't worked ever, and never going to work.  Something had to be done although it comes at the expense of our 4th line which has also been pretty good and accounted for a goal last game.  Ritchie with Backlund-Toffoli doesn't seem as good as using Ruzicka there.  Wouldn't mind if Stone comes in for the PP.  This series has seen too many PPs to not have a big shot there.

I don't like the idea of using a RHS on LW.

Ritchie has been good in disruptive play.

Only thing missing is a finisher.

I don't think that Backlund is a finisher or even a starter.

Might help Toffoli by staying off the boards.

If we wanted to use Stone, then a 11-7 setup might be the best use.

Really, the D on the point is just not getting set.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wouldn't mind if Stone comes in for the PP.  This series has seen too many PPs to not have a big shot there.

I've been hoping for this. I love Kyller and do believe Kyller > Stone, however, in this series Kyller is struggling a bit and it wouldn't hurt to have that big shot from the point, and another big body to get in Dallas' way.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

4a87b031feb05526c3ac5a0245743e21.png

Line 2...

Stay positive RD... stay positive......

I was hoping for a Toffoli swap to another line (because Backlund and Mangiapane have history playing well together, whereas Toff doesn't have that) but it is still a step in the right direction - getting an effective shooter and scorer away from Backlund. Let'er rip Mange!!!! GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Just now, LouCifer said:

I was hoping for a Toffoli swap to another line (because Backlund and Mangiapane have history playing well together, whereas Toff doesn't have that) but it is still a step in the right direction - getting an effective shooter and scorer away from Backlund. 

coach favourite. I’d prefer Mangiapane get going than Toffoli. Something about Toffoli has really rubbed me wrong… 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

coach favourite. I’d prefer Mangiapane get going than Toffoli. Something about Toffoli has really rubbed me wrong… 

I'm frustrated too. They started Toff off on 3rd line, (Jarnkrok came later and was also out for a bit too). He had success there. When he "moved up" to play with Backlund is when I see it go off the rails. Though, as a professional NHL player, it is right to expect Toff to figure out how to get his game to be more effective playing with Backlund. 👍 

31 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I'm frustrated too. They started Toff off on 3rd line, (Jarnkrok came later and was also out for a bit too). He had success there. When he "moved up" to play with Backlund is when I see it go off the rails. Though, as a professional NHL player, it is right to expect Toff to figure out how to get his game to be more effective playing with Backlund. 👍 

The so-called Backlund bump is acting in reverse now.

Only a few players this year have had success with him.

On the road - Mangiapane, since they were not able to get matchups.

Coleman - wasn't really scoring but was a good defensive pair.

Dube - can we just agree that Dube plays well with anyone.

Players like Mangiapane and Toffoli thrive in two situations - rush and planted shots.

In a defensive series, neither is able to get the passes.

Backlund isn't helping them.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

#FlamesNHLTeam_2021_Flames.png coach Darryl Sutter, with a big smile, on his forward lines: “It’s a very fluid situation that is evolving as the day goes along.”

Francis asked the question about the line and Sutter was very much playing it like a joke on Francis.  Wasn't insulting, just that it was "very fluid".  He's going to keep the real line hidden until the last minute.  Mind games.  Also lets the players know what they are expected to do.  This isn't a one player change to determine the series.  It's a series of adjustments depending on the game.  Coach within the game and get players ramped up whatever the lines.

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mang- Backs - Coleman was a beast of a line this year. Their 2nd best line outside of the top line. If they are looking for a spark that is the line I would go back to. 

That would leave you Dube-Jarnkrok-Toffoli, which isn't a bad thing.  Not sure why we haven't seen this before.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Mang- Backs - Coleman was a beast of a line this year. Their 2nd best line outside of the top line. If they are looking for a spark that is the line I would go back to. 

I know. I posted a link to a chart a while ago showing that the trio together registered as one of the top-rated lines in the season - against common important metrics on the offensive and defensive sides of the puck. I’d very much like them to go back to that. I can see why Sutter maybe didn’t originally like the idea of 2 new comers to the team on the same line (Toff and Jarn) but the honeymoon phase is over, they know what the coach expects, and I’d love to see Dube with Toff. 

Go Flames Go! 

This is it!! Time to tie this series up Calgary!! Just win this game! No more stupid penalties , let’s take advantage of our PP time and actually score. Bring it back home tied at 2-2 so we can put these Stars to bed!!!! Go Flames Go!!!!!

I dug out the Johnny Hockey jersey for tonight.

No washing it (that's for Snowbear).

Had to put it away until he was back on track.

Whether he gets a meaningful goal tonight or just factors in a goal, I think it's his time to shine.

As Johnny goes, so does the team.