Playoffs GDT Flames @ Stars - Game 3 - Saturday 7 May 2022

rocketdoctor

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

You are right.  That was such a key moment in the game. Markstrom makes an unbelievable save only for scrambly defense to negate that.  That tied the game and shifted momentum back to the Stars.  The game may have been lost right there.

There were three key moments in the 3rd that spelled doom.

A tie game is anyones to win.

Good shape going into the 3rd tied.

But then, the penalty.

Ill timed and gave the ref no real choice.

It wasn't a scoring chance, so they could have let them play.

That set up the kick out to Joe in the latter stages.

Unlike the Flames, the Stars understand kick outs.

The other two were the missed breakaway chance and the non-call on the high stick.

A high stick is much more obvious than a slash.

But, anyways.

The missed breakaway is just that.

He gets two in a game, he scores on one of them.

But he got one chance.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There were three key moments in the 3rd that spelled doom.

A tie game is anyones to win.

Good shape going into the 3rd tied.

But then, the penalty.

Ill timed and gave the ref no real choice.

It wasn't a scoring chance, so they could have let them play.

That set up the kick out to Joe in the latter stages.

Unlike the Flames, the Stars understand kick outs.

The other two were the missed breakaway chance and the non-call on the high stick.

A high stick is much more obvious than a slash.

But, anyways.

The missed breakaway is just that.

He gets two in a game, he scores on one of them.

But he got one chance.

the thing is, prior to this game, the Flames only scored 1 goal. So not getting by on a 2-1 lead was going to make it tough to win the game. The stars have been stingy defensively most of the series and now their goalie has played better than our goalie. We’ve also made it easier on their goalie, but we were trending low score. So to me, I get that a tie game is still anyones game, but in my opinion set the stage for them to take the game. 

you’re right that slash was BS, light and I’m sure light compared to other calls. And that missed high stick seems on trend this season. BS! But how many of them did we see go uncalled?

If the refs continue to call the series this way, we need to get the pP going. We have one goal but the opportunities have been there to take advantage of them. I get worried when our team get that many power plays that early and done capitalize on them. We could have stick a dagger early. 

3-1 down is doable but almost impossible. Game  4 is pretty much a must win.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the thing is, prior to this game, the Flames only scored 1 goal. So not getting by on a 2-1 lead was going to make it tough to win the game. The stars have been stingy defensively most of the series and now their goalie has played better than our goalie. We’ve also made it easier on their goalie, but we were trending low score. So to me, I get that a tie game is still anyones game, but in my opinion set the stage for them to take the game. 

I would suggest that Otter was not playing lights out, but that he made a few good saves.  Not a lot of scoring chnaces, whereas Markstrom had to be at the top of his game.  Faced less quantity, but way more quality.  Scoring chances were 36-16 in favor of the Stars even though we had way more shots.  

We were stingy in game one then decided to change it up for the next two.  Top pair getting burned by what was behind their backs.  First goal at 4v4, Backlund loses the draw then loses his man.  2nd goal, we don't take care of business in the D-zone and leads to extended time, resulting in two high danger chances,, one being a goal.  The PP goal was a mixup with the D not sensing the threat on a juicy rebound.  Two covering one gut and the trailer popping it in.

Joe P got the slashing call because he's Joe P.  The refs gave him a freebie.  Was it a penalty?  Sure, like about 15 other slashes that happened.  Whistles away for the rest of the period.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that Otter was not playing lights out, but that he made a few good saves.  Not a lot of scoring chnaces, whereas Markstrom had to be at the top of his game.  Faced less quantity, but way more quality.  Scoring chances were 36-16 in favor of the Stars even though we had way more shots.  

We were stingy in game one then decided to change it up for the next two.  Top pair getting burned by what was behind their backs.  First goal at 4v4, Backlund loses the draw then loses his man.  2nd goal, we don't take care of business in the D-zone and leads to extended time, resulting in two high danger chances,, one being a goal.  The PP goal was a mixup with the D not sensing the threat on a juicy rebound.  Two covering one gut and the trailer popping it in.

Joe P got the slashing call because he's Joe P.  The refs gave him a freebie.  Was it a penalty?  Sure, like about 15 other slashes that happened.  Whistles away for the rest of the period.  

i agree.

and where you say the D loses it on the rebound goal and not aware of the threat. While that is how Lindholm scored. I feel for the most part, that’s the real difference. Dallas has been on top of all the possible threats and why we have no traffic or rebounds, whereas our guys can tend to lose their assignments and it costs them. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree.

and where you say the D loses it on the rebound goal and not aware of the threat. While that is how Lindholm scored. I feel for the most part, that’s the real difference. Dallas has been on top of all the possible threats and why we have no traffic or rebounds, whereas our guys can tend to lose their assignments and it costs them. 

The PP goal was sad.

Whether it was Ras or Hanifin, the most dangerous player walks in.

The first goal was a faceoff loss and guy that wins the draw beats to the net the player that lost the draw.

Not really sure if that's Backlund's guy or not, but he immediately let him go and was in no-man land on the goal.  You can probably blame a bit on Kyl for not tying up Faksa's stick.  He seemed like he went after the same player as Backlund.  In theory, they both should know their assignments.

Here is the difference for me in one image. Dallas is fighting to get to the net and the middle and the flames are not. Too content with easy perimeter shots which is why I don’t think the story is Ottinger. He’s been good don’t get me wrong but he isn’t the story IMO. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Here is the difference for me in one image. Dallas is fighting to get to the net and the middle and the flames are not. Too content with easy perimeter shots which is why I don’t think the story is Ottinger. He’s been good don’t get me wrong but he isn’t the story IMO. 

i definitely do not think the story is ottinger just that the stars have made it easier for him in how they’re defending. This core has never wanted to go to the hard areas when it’s closed off. When I called it out in the regular season in the games it was happening in I was called out for being too negative in a successful season. But in the playoffs it’s harder than the regular season. 

ottinger has done what is asked, Markstrom too. His only bad goal might be the big rebound he kicked out to pavelski last night. He let in 4 goals in 3 games. That’s everything you ask your goalie to do. We have score more than one goal once in the series and it’s last night where we lose a 3-2 game in a 3-2 league. Scoring 3 goals in 3 games isn’t good enough, and that’s like you say, the story is getting to the middle … 

Two Rebound goals and the game is over. We got one rebound goal all series. It’s like cross says, that’s getting bodies in front and shooting with guys there. Also, puck placement on shots seemed to make those rebounds go right to pavelski… 

ottinger is giving up some rebounds but we aren’t in position to get good wood on them… so that’s where they’re outplaying us.

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i definitely do not think the story is ottinger just that the stars have made it easier for him in how they’re defending. This core has never wanted to go to the hard areas when it’s closed off. When I called it out in the regular season in the games it was happening in I was called out for being too negative in a successful season. But in the playoffs it’s harder than the regular season. 

ottinger has done what is asked, Markstrom too. His only bad goal might be the big rebound he kicked out to pavelski last night. He let in 4 goals in 3 games. That’s everything you ask your goalie to do. We have score more than one goal once in the series and it’s last night where we lose a 3-2 game in a 3-2 league. Scoring 3 goals in 3 games isn’t good enough, and that’s like you say, the story is getting to the middle … 

I don't think the regular season plays into the way they are playing so far.

You may have been right in your assessment then, but keep in mind they rarely played that way for more than a game at most.  The Flames ere consistent the regular season.  Outplaying teams on a regular basis.  Dominant.  Some games they had to use the goalie to steal one, but not that many.

In this last game, the heat map shows a lot of shots from poor angle on his blocker side.  It doesn't show how the shots came.  Probably not many high blocker, since he was better down low.  Low volumes from the LD or middle of the ice.  The shots from the RD inevitably go to the glove side, so not difficult because the angle doesn't give you much to work with.  The slot shots were mostly on the glove side.  Lindholm scored on blocker side high.  Just saying.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, rickross said:

Feels like 2020 bubble playoffs all over again. Flames lost that series because they lost those “should have won”games. This series is so tight it’s one mistake makes the win or loss. I’m hoping Flames can impose their game this time around, completely take the crowd and the momentum from game 2 out of this. It’s going to be a tough task! Let’s go Flames!!

It seems like the Flames just aren't doing some of the same things that put them at the top of the Pacific...   Have to give the Stars credit for being able to make the Flames alter some of those things that they were having success with this season as well though...

But the Flames can learn a few lessons from both losses in this series and turn things around...   and I still think that is what is going to happen...

Go Flames!!!

Any comparisons to the 2020 bubble series are way the out to lunch.  The Flames after 5 games were horribly outplayed 5 on 5, the saving graces were the special teams and Talbot was outplaying Khodobin, this go around 5 on 5 the Flames have carried the majority, PP has been weak for both teams but Otter hasn't let down yet, the only similarity is Pavelski is still a killer and the fact the team playing worse is up after 3.

• Like 1