Playoffs GDT Stars @ Flames - Game 1 - Tuesday 3 May 2022

rocketdoctor

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

They will come out hitting more and trying to hit our D. It’s gonna get rough. 

With what though?  If they had those players to do that job, then they would've done it tonight.  The broadcast mentioned the Stars were the least penalized team in the NHL this season and you can see why.  They don't really hit.  They play a passive containment game and they are a slow team in general.  Our D is big and can handle the physicality.  It's their forwards who don't want to play along the boards with our D.

I partly wanted the Stars instead of the Preds because the Preds play really physical.  The Stars registered 20 hits tonight while the Preds registered 59 hits.  The Flames had 34 hits.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/dal-vs-cgy/2022/05/03/2021030171#game=2021030171,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nsh-vs-col/2022/05/03/2021030151#game=2021030151,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

2 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

yeah i had goose bumps watching it how do i put that link so it shows like yours people

Just paste the link... sometimes you have to delete it the first time and paste again.  The Message boards will pick it up and load the preview.

7 hours ago, Carty said:

The Flames outshout and outplayed the Stars, but it  was still a hard fought win...   Just the way it should be to dip a toe in the playoff pool...

Now they have a taste of what it is going to take to make a run...   and I have faith that they are going to do just that...

GO FLAMES!!!

Yup. In a nutshell. That's a fun win to start, early goal, shut 'er in.

Hope you're well buddy. I'm a full time Sarnia guy now so sorry for mia...lotsa life changes via pandemic.

Send my love to your lady. Yes, I know her name.lol

Big love thoughts to you and yours.

Flames baby.

• Like 1

Mostly well played game from the Flames. Certainly were very sharp in their own end and came to play physically. Only critique I would have is their PP and they are going to need to make some adjustments in the o zone. Dallas did a great job taking away the middle of the ice so I think the Flames are going to have to tweak their cycle game to get some more quality on net. That game really shouldn't have been 1-0 given how well the Flames played in the first and the amount of PPs they had. 

But I thought outside of 10 mins in the 2nd the Flames were in full control of the game basically from start to finish. Score didn't really match how this game played out which is why more breathing room, especailly in the playoffs, would be nice. 

I really hope Gaudreau builds on his last few shifts. Didn't think he was very good in the first 2 periods. Playing very tentative but those last few shifts in the 3rd were excellent. Tkachuk and Dube were their 2 best forwards I thought. Fantastic game from both of them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

With what though?  If they had those players to do that job, then they would've done it tonight.  The broadcast mentioned the Stars were the least penalized team in the NHL this season and you can see why.  They don't really hit.  They play a passive containment game and they are a slow team in general.  Our D is big and can handle the physicality.  It's their forwards who don't want to play along the boards with our D.

I partly wanted the Stars instead of the Preds because the Preds play really physical.  The Stars registered 20 hits tonight while the Preds registered 59 hits.  The Flames had 34 hits.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/dal-vs-cgy/2022/05/03/2021030171#game=2021030171,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nsh-vs-col/2022/05/03/2021030151#game=2021030151,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

I think Dallas will be a close series regardless of playing us or COL.

NAS could have gone a lot different; they should not have been down 5 in a period.

If Saros is in fact only out two games, they stand a chance.

But even if COL wins, they won't be tuned up for round 2.

What a great start to the series.

Ras and Klingberg getting ejected was dumb. Playoff hockey is intense.

The amount of penalties called in days 1 and 2 is appalling, the refs sure are big on themselves for whatever reason.

I tell ya. I wish I was back in Canada for this one so I could be a part of the C of Red. These are exciting times to be a fan.

One down, fifteen to go. Let's go Flames! 

On another note I caught the Smith gaffe and D zone scramble that allowed Danault to get lost on his game winner against Edmonton. It gave me serotonin. 

Smitty can be a good handler but my God am I glad we are free from his mistakes.

3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Going to the game tomorrow first playoff game ever

Jealous! I have never been to a playoff game.

Luckily I've still got many years ahead of me (hopefully). Being sub-30 years old gives me hope it will happen one day 😂

14 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

What a great start to the series.

Ras and Klingberg getting ejected was dumb. Playoff hockey is intense.

The amount of penalties called in days 1 and 2 is appalling, the refs sure are big on themselves for whatever reason.

I tell ya. I wish I was back in Canada for this one so I could be a part of the C of Red. These are exciting times to be a fan.

One down, fifteen to go. Let's go Flames! 

On another note I caught the Smith gaffe and D zone scramble that allowed Danault to get lost on his game winner against Edmonton. It gave me serotonin. 

Smitty can be a good handler but my God am I glad we are free from his mistakes.

The refs took control in day 1 and 2.  At times a little overboard, but then they miss some obvious ones of the same standard.  I am sure the refs huddle before a period and go over the standard, but one guy seems to take it upon himself to call something that is borderline.  Just make the same call every time; it's all the coaches want.  It seems that the game gets away from them and they need to drag it back, but usually at one team's expense.

Did you see where Draisaitl was on the GWG?  Not in the zone when the gaff happened.  Past the red line.  Skated back leisurely and went behind the net after the puck was gone.  Then just kind of floated near the circle.  Three Oilers back.  2+1 Kings in causing pressure.  Last ones back, other Oiler forwards including the C.      

3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Going to the game tomorrow first playoff game ever

Enjoy Snowbear.

Nothing beats that atmosphere.   I was lucky to get some nosebleeds for game 2 of SCF in 1989.   Was a fantastic  time even though we lost that night.

The best one though  was the series that year against LA.  I was at the game Bearcat got on the ice to help Vernon and we scored at other end.  Gretzky was so mad.  The atmosphere was electric that night.

Have a great time.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. In a nutshell. That's a fun win to start, early goal, shut 'er in.

Hope you're well buddy. I'm a full time Sarnia guy now so sorry for mia...lotsa life changes via pandemic.

Send my love to your lady. Yes, I know her name.lol

Big love thoughts to you and yours.

Flames baby.

Yeah, I hear ya...   This stupid virus has wreaked havoc on all of us in one way or another...

Passed your message on to my better half...   Hope all is well for you and your family as well...

Flames all the way...

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Mostly well played game from the Flames. Certainly were very sharp in their own end and came to play physically. Only critique I would have is their PP and they are going to need to make some adjustments in the o zone. Dallas did a great job taking away the middle of the ice so I think the Flames are going to have to tweak their cycle game to get some more quality on net. That game really shouldn't have been 1-0 given how well the Flames played in the first and the amount of PPs they had. 

But I thought outside of 10 mins in the 2nd the Flames were in full control of the game basically from start to finish. Score didn't really match how this game played out which is why more breathing room, especailly in the playoffs, would be nice. 

I really hope Gaudreau builds on his last few shifts. Didn't think he was very good in the first 2 periods. Playing very tentative but those last few shifts in the 3rd were excellent. Tkachuk and Dube were their 2 best forwards I thought. Fantastic game from both of them. 

I figure any team that play the Flames (in the playoffs) will attempt to do this. I had a feeling that would be the case and will be on all series’s if the Flames win the series. 

id start to change up the look of the PP. Once Lindholm got the goal they adjusted right away. It’ll be hard to get into the middle. I still don’t like Toffoli with Mangiapane, as I think it takes away from Mangiapane’s shot. He now sometimes looks for Toffoli a bit and I think it limits the things that made him successful earlier in the year. 

as for Johnny, i think the PK’s took him out of the rhythm of the game. It wasn’t until the game stabilized that he started dancing. I think If the flames limit their penalties. It would allow him to stay in the fabric of the game. 

i agree Dube had a phenomenal first two periods. Tkachuk was great but i don’t necessarily want to lose him for 5+ minutes fighting and getting penalized. Moving him to Johnny’s line has enhanced him and he’s been great at getting himself into the game as he was in years past. I think it’s hard when Backs was getting shut down for him to find the ice, but now the line mates  he has are so good that it allows him to be in the areas he needs to be and be engaged and engaging.