Playoffs GDT Stars @ Flames - Game 1 - Tuesday 3 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Here's a tweet from Oilers hack Gregor.

He is one of the worst for being a paid Oilers mouthpiece.

Gets his instructions from Oilers management.

ZJrvEFPZ_normal.png

Klingberg dropping a truth bomb. Andersson is one of biggest pretenders in the NHL. Great to have some personality and rivalries in the playoffs. More please.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Here's a tweet from Oilers hack Gregor.

He is one of the worst for being a paid Oilers mouthpiece.

Gets his instructions from Oilers management.

ZJrvEFPZ_normal.png

Klingberg dropping a truth bomb. Andersson is one of biggest pretenders in the NHL. Great to have some personality and rivalries in the playoffs. More please.

funny how players have to fight to be legitimized. Andersson doesn’t fight much but he’s always in the thick of a scrum. Does that mean he’s a pretender? I don’t think so. Plus, choosing a player in the same weight class is basically what happened. He wasn’t looking for the weakest, plus we aren’t privy to what kling was saying to him? 

From our view it looked like Klingberg dropped the gloves first. 

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

funny how players have to fight to be legitimized. Andersson doesn’t fight much but he’s always in the thick of a scrum. Does that mean he’s a pretender? I don’t think so. Plus, choosing a player in the same weight class is basically what happened. He wasn’t looking for the weakest, plus we aren’t privy to what kling was saying to him? 

From our view it looked like Klingberg dropped the gloves first. 

He's just stirring up crap.  Strange because he doesn't comment negatively on Flames much.  I thought it was a fake twitter account, but it turned into a BOA.  I guess he feels that he's too big for his britches.  Didn't like the "BOOM", I guess.  He's paid to pass on management narratives.  Not exactly a free thinking guy.  When the Oilers were going through coaching or management issues, he seemed to support everything they put out.   

Gregor? Who? Is he even relevant? It's like I always say, everyone's entitled to their opinions - even stupid ones. People (even employed media!) are brave enough nowadays to put that stupidity on display for the world! Slow clap for you bud! Hahaha  

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Gregor? Who? Is he even relevant? It's like I always say, everyone's entitled to their opinions - even stupid ones. People (even employed media!) are brave enough nowadays to put that stupidity on display for the world! Slow clap for you bud! Hahaha  

He's an actual sports writer, unlike the usual fanbois up north.

I find it odd that he would even bother with the story.

Did Ras run over his cat?

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I figure any team that play the Flames (in the playoffs) will attempt to do this. I had a feeling that would be the case and will be on all series’s if the Flames win the series. 

id start to change up the look of the PP. Once Lindholm got the goal they adjusted right away. It’ll be hard to get into the middle. I still don’t like Toffoli with Mangiapane, as I think it takes away from Mangiapane’s shot. He now sometimes looks for Toffoli a bit and I think it limits the things that made him successful earlier in the year. 

And to be fair Dallas is one of the best defensive teams in the league so should come as no surprised that they would adjust like that or be very good at it. Just think the Flames will need to make adjustments but i'm sure they will. I think on a positive side it was nice to see the Flames being ok with how the game played out. Dallas was trying to slow them down, take away the middle and Flames just went "cool we're up 1-0 anyway.. go nuts". No panic in the game at all. 

I'm with you on Toffoli I don't think they've quite found a home for him yet. Thought he was solid in Game 1 though and that line,  seemed to be the preferred line to face the Robertson line and I do think they did a good job limiting chances. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And to be fair Dallas is one of the best defensive teams in the league so should come as no surprised that they would adjust like that or be very good at it. Just think the Flames will need to make adjustments but i'm sure they will. I think on a positive side it was nice to see the Flames being ok with how the game played out. Dallas was trying to slow them down, take away the middle and Flames just went "cool we're up 1-0 anyway.. go nuts". No panic in the game at all. 

I'm with you on Toffoli I don't think they've quite found a home for him yet. Thought he was solid in Game 1 though and that line,  seemed to be the preferred line to face the Robertson line and I do think they did a good job limiting chances. 

From a defensive side of game 1, it was a well played game.  No gripes from me.  Losing Ras probably hurt the PP a bit, but it has struggled at times in the weeks leading up to the playoffs.  Once we get set, we have the puck for the next 30 seconds.  But shot volume seems to suffer a bit.  Maybe it's just nobody open, but we are passing up shooting lanes in favor of a pass.  It looks structured, but doesn't seem to encroach on the net, just stick to the same areas.  

It's probably just a function of the team we are playing.  They are good in the middle of the ice.  But, I think we could do more to create some chaos.  Get them out of the box.  

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

From a defensive side of game 1, it was a well played game.  No gripes from me.  Losing Ras probably hurt the PP a bit, but it has struggled at times in the weeks leading up to the playoffs.  Once we get set, we have the puck for the next 30 seconds.  But shot volume seems to suffer a bit.  Maybe it's just nobody open, but we are passing up shooting lanes in favor of a pass.  It looks structured, but doesn't seem to encroach on the net, just stick to the same areas.  

It's probably just a function of the team we are playing.  They are good in the middle of the ice.  But, I think we could do more to create some chaos.  Get them out of the box.  

i found players would pass then get one left side and then take a low percentage shot. Don’t mean to pick on Toffoli but there were a lot of examples where they did slow passes and allowed dallas to set up. 

on the goal i wonder how long the puck was on any of their sticks? Maybe a very split second? I find that the flames aren’t doing enough of that, quick passing, to get Dallas out of position. They let the other team set up a bit too often. 

i would also like to see them cycle it more to get movement, get Lindholm over the the left slot at times, or maybe it’s Tkachuk in front and Gaudreau beside the net. Just don’t be stationary. Try confuse them or make them think.  

Right now they’re playing slow on the PP and allowing the other team to set up for blocking lanes and shots.

• Like 1

I think putting Mang back on the top PP and adding Ras back would be a good improvement. I like Mang, as he is a better puck pursuit guy on the boards and compliments what Chucky does downlow rather than looking for the perfect snipe from Toffee. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

on the goal i wonder how long the puck was on any of their sticks? Maybe a very split second? I find that the flames aren’t doing enough of that, quick passing, to get Dallas out of position. They let the other team set up a bit too often. 

Dallas adjusted and got to the guy with the puck quicker.

The goal was a three banger.

Faceoff win to player 1, to player 2 to Lindy.  Boom.

Took 5 seconds.

Gaudreau on the RW often seems to work out better.

Maybe just use Mange instead of Toffee?

Toffoli on the LW side works, but so does Lindholm.

I don't know.

The 2nd unit with Backlund doesn't look effective very often.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dallas adjusted and got to the guy with the puck quicker.

The goal was a three banger.

Faceoff win to player 1, to player 2 to Lindy.  Boom.

Took 5 seconds.

Gaudreau on the RW often seems to work out better.

Maybe just use Mange instead of Toffee?

Toffoli on the LW side works, but so does Lindholm.

I don't know.

The 2nd unit with Backlund doesn't look effective very often.

Quit taking what I’m saying and say it better, lol. 
I wonder why Coleman gets no love on the PP? If Dube, Coleman, and Toffee would have some success on the PP?

19 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Quit taking what I’m saying and say it better, lol. 
I wonder why Coleman gets no love on the PP? If Dube, Coleman, and Toffee would have some success on the PP?

If I ain't replying to you, means I agree.

Coleman is going to be a long playoff option.

He has a difficult role right now and can't up his minutes quite yet.

I don't know.  HAs he had much playoff minutes?

It seems like even our 2nd unit has too many guys that could be on.

Hanifin, Kylington, Dube, Lucic, Jarnkrok, Toffee, Mange.

I think the top unit could use a 2nd C.

LHS.

Have two C's on 2nd unit, LHS and RHS.

I didn't include Backlund, since he doesn't look to have found his offence.

He's playing some soft minutes along with his impressive shutdown minutes.