GDT Oilers @ FLAMES Mon 7 Mar 2022

rocketdoctor

Thanks RocDoc.  I formally pass the one game winning streak onto you.  Colorado tried to break it.  I would not let them.

The lines are intriguing.  A very big change to the 3rd line, and wingers playing their dominant sides on the 2nd line.

Mangiapane with Toffoli and Ruzie?  Wow, that seems like what he had in Stockton. 

Just now, pikey7883 said:

This lineup makes me very excited. It’s like they read my post this week, hahahahaha. Then said Ruzie is better than Money with Mang and Toff. 

Sutter does read analytics since he can't possibly watch every minute of every game.  But, he also relies on the eye test.  He was not happy with the win in COL.  If you have a scoring threat but he's never getting the puck on his stick, why bother playing him there.  3 slow guys.  No breakout speed.  Little speed coming back.  That's fine, but you need to manage the starts for them.  That means 2 lines sheltered, which is tough.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter does read analytics since he can't possibly watch every minute of every game.  But, he also relies on the eye test.  He was not happy with the win in COL.  If you have a scoring threat but he's never getting the puck on his stick, why bother playing him there.  3 slow guys.  No breakout speed.  Little speed coming back.  That's fine, but you need to manage the starts for them.  That means 2 lines sheltered, which is tough.

also, as a player with less speed, it means you have to have higher than normal hockey IQ when it comes to positioning because you need to be at the right place at the right time, whether it is in transition to offence or defence. A slower player has to be a few steps ahead of the play in order to be as affective as a skilled player with speed. Coach can help, but gotta be ready.

adversely, Hanifin as someone who is fast, he sometimes shows how not being that step ahead can hurt someone with speed, when he takes a step in the wrong direction in transition…

It’s a fast league!

I think these lines are all about match ups, and Sutter saying you guys may have the two big guns, but we are going to beat you with our depth. I think he goes top line vs top line. Then Backlund gets McDavid. That leaves the Ruzicka line to feast on their bottom 6. Even our 4th line is a massive upgrade on anyone in their bottom 6.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

also, as a player with less speed, it means you have to have higher than normal hockey IQ when it comes to positioning because you need to be at the right place at the right time, whether it is in transition to offence or defence. A slower player has to be a few steps ahead of the play in order to be as affective as a skilled player with speed. Coach can help, but gotta be ready.

adversely, Hanifin as someone who is fast, he sometimes shows how not being that step ahead can hurt someone with speed, when he takes a step in the wrong direction in transition…

It’s a fast league!

I ride Hanifin a bit much.  It's not just on him.  Same way we see the other LD making more mistake than the RD.

The forwards that ply in front of them have a part.

Lucic is out of position because he can't keep up.

Johnny is not a defensive star, and the only time he's effective is backchecking.

That's two out of four lines.

Hanifin does do a couple of things that annoy me.

One, he pinches sometimes when there is no support.

Not always his fault since a F has to cover him.

But, when he makes a low percentage play at the O-zone blueline, it comes back in a hurry.

Two, Hanifin has trouble holding the line in the O-zone.

On the PP, there is little chance to recover.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think these lines are all about match ups, and Sutter saying you guys may have the two big guns, but we are going to beat you with our depth. I think he goes top line vs top line. Then Backlund gets McDavid. That leaves the Ruzicka line to feast on their bottom 6. Even our 4th line is a massive upgrade on anyone in their bottom 6.

I think you’re right. It gives the chance for the Ruzie line to feast on either Ryan or Turris’ line. And also Looch, Money, and Dube as a quote unquote 4th line, might be the best in the NHL.