GDT Oilers @ FLAMES Mon 7 Mar 2022

rocketdoctor

Rucizka had a really good game.  That no look spin pass to Toffoli was high skill level.  He's literally replaced Monahan offensively.

Mangiapane looked sort of uncomfortable with his new linemates... Saw him looking to pass where we usually see him shoot instead.  Give that line a few more games together because I think we've got something brewing here.  Mangiapane - Rucizka - Toffoli has some potential.  Rucizka has great vision and passing abilities and he's now got two snipers on his wing.

And I really enjoyed the Coleman - Backlund - Lewis line although Coleman was coughing the puck up a bit. He seemed uncomfortable playing LW again.  He seemed to over think with the puck and hesitate to make the safe play.  But still, this trio has veteran smarts and really good shut down potential.  Would like to see more of this.  Lewis was effective with increased workload.

Dube looked good playing RW again (and had a lot to prove coming back into the lineup).  He should just stay RW the rest of his career.  Stop moving him around.  4th line has a good mix and I liked it but reality is we can't afford Lucic and Monahan as 4th liners in a cap world.  Just not the best use of cap space.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rucizka had a really good game.  That no look spin pass to Toffoli was high skill level.  He's literally replaced Monahan offensively.

Mangiapane looked sort of uncomfortable with his new linemates... Saw him looking to pass where we usually see him shoot instead.  Give that line a few more games together because I think we've got something brewing here.  Mangiapane - Rucizka - Toffoli has some potential.  Rucizka has great vision and passing abilities and he's now got two snipers on his wing.

And I really enjoyed the Coleman - Backlund - Lewis line although Coleman was coughing the puck up a bit. He seemed uncomfortable playing LW again.  He seemed to over think with the puck and hesitate to make the safe play.  But still, this trio has veteran smarts and really good shut down potential.  Would like to see more of this.

Dube looked good playing RW again (and had a lot to prove coming back into the lineup).  He should just stay RW the rest of his career.  Stop moving him around.  4th line has a good mix and I liked it but reality is we can't afford Lucic and Monahan as 4th liners in a cap world.  Just not the best use of cap space.

Sutter mentioned they got in at 4 in the friggin' morning (Sunday or today?).  Said his top guys were tired.  Concentration is the first thing to go.  Guys got tunnel vision at times.

Yeah, I think Mangiapane is going to need some time to adjust to a guy like Ruzie.  He's has the look of a power forward in the early stages, which is 180 degrees from Backlund's game.  Toffee is that versatile wnger we have been looking to add for some time.  Shoots from the off wing?  Oh my. 

The 4th line is what the line should have been ages ago.  It was called the 3rd line before.  Doesn;t really matter, it's not the 2nd scoring line.  That's the Toffee-Bread line.  Ruzie played the fewest minutes, mostly due to not having any special teams time.  I think Sutters leaves them together next game since they may be still fresh.  Might see them keep Dube in against WAS or sub in Ritchie, due to the bigger team.  Not a slight to Dube, but you don't want him getting creamed by Wilson.    

Great result but a few things

I want to Nurse steamrolled through the boards

I want to see Kane (biggest Double Spend in the league) steamrolled through the boards and rebound into Lucic follwing up

I want to see Draisatal steamrolled through the boards

I want to see Kassian steamrolled through the boards (even though he wasn't playing)

In fact I just detest this Oiler side - such a bunch of whiners and cheap shot artists.

(I'll give Doc Ryan a pass)

The refs were also just crap in this game.

Go Flames Go!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Rucizka had a really good game.

Forgot to mention the Sting game vs SSM the other night. I wasn't the only one wearing a Flames jersey, there was half a dozen. All my friends seeing Ruzicka in the lineup, "Holy Satoshi Nakamoto, is that what happened to him"? Now if we get Chychrun, Kyrou and Stamkos this town will be red and white, and not Detroit.lol

Love Rozie playing well, helps my sales. Peeps here cheer for ex-Sting players in a heartbeat. Let's get Chychrun. This town would turn into Little Calgary.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

For a 3-1 game, it never really felt that the W was in jeopardy.

Did it look like EDM was even playing well?  McD got one chance where he was stripped by Hanifin.  Draisaitl sits in one spot on the PP and barely moves.  I think Lucic skates better than him, just doesn't protect the puck as well.  The one goal they scored sure looked offside to me.  It may have been close.  No way Sutter would even think about challenging it, not in a 2-1 game where we have had a ton of penalties.  Nope, he says to the team, tough break, now go finish the game.  

The post game comments were rich.  Didn't read any from McD, but the other guys and coach suggested they were playing well.  I saw Markstrom makes some great saves, but I didn't see a team having their way with us.  The score flattered them.  The coaching bump is over.  He makes some valid points about not focusing on the standings and working on details.  But the team is going to tune him out if they fall further out of the Wild Card race.  When you get 4 PP's or so and the best you can do is have the ref kick the puck to an open forward to score, you have bigger issues than just working on some details.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Did it look like EDM was even playing well?  McD got one chance where he was stripped by Hanifin.  Draisaitl sits in one spot on the PP and barely moves.  I think Lucic skates better than him, just doesn't protect the puck as well.  The one goal they scored sure looked offside to me.  It may have been close.  No way Sutter would even think about challenging it, not in a 2-1 game where we have had a ton of penalties.  Nope, he says to the team, tough break, now go finish the game.  

The post game comments were rich.  Didn't read any from McD, but the other guys and coach suggested they were playing well.  I saw Markstrom makes some great saves, but I didn't see a team having their way with us.  The score flattered them.  The coaching bump is over.  He makes some valid points about not focusing on the standings and working on details.  But the team is going to tune him out if they fall further out of the Wild Card race.  When you get 4 PP's or so and the best you can do is have the ref kick the puck to an open forward to score, you have bigger issues than just working on some details.  

I liked Sutter moving Lewis up with Backlund and Coleman. That's a great shutdown line. I've said from the getgo Lewis is a really good player. He doesn't have to score, he has to defend. He was great on the PK. Very underrated play by him. What a great add, needed guys like him. If it's a 2-1 league, you definitely need guys like Lewis.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I liked Sutter moving Lewis up with Backlund and Coleman. That's a great shutdown line. I've said from the getgo Lewis is a really good player. He doesn't have to score, he has to defend. He was great on the PK. Very underrated play by him. What a great add, needed guys like him. If it's a 2-1 league, you definitely need guys like Lewis.

When your top scorers are not on a shutdown line, you can shelter one of the lines.  Yeah, I thought that the Backlund line contained the top lines from the Oilers, depending on how they rolled them out.  Defense basically neutered the big guns.  I felt like this was one of the best lineups we have had so far, if not the best.  Every line had a role.  Every line had speed and were capable of scoring goals.  No line was a defensive black hole.

Sutter never looks happy.  Didn't feel either side played well, blamed the schedule on the teams looking tired.