GDT - Flames at Coyotes February 2, 2022

travel_dude

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Love to see those that think they are immune to rough play take a big hit.

I would be mad if it was Gaudreau, but normally that would be big guy against small guy.

This is two full size players.

Fair game.

He put Kane into the Caps bench earlier too. 

Always liked Hathaway.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sad to think Sutter never would have let Hathaway and Lomberg walk.

Oh well, glad we're treating the bottom 6 seriously now regardless.

I love the Looch-Ruckzicka-Lewis look. Hope we stay with it.

Only Ritchie could play his way down and off of the 4th line.....somehow to the 3rd line.

If I recall, Hathaway was a great help to guys like Mangiapane and even Janko.

That was probably the hope with bringing in Pitlick.

Some things work, some do not.

While it would be good to get a replacement for Ritchie, it doesn't change things much.

Getting a top 6/top 9 player pushes someone down and Ritchie out.

Honestly kind of sucks they are at the break. Back to playing some good and consistent hockey so I wish there were more games coming up.

I thought Markstrom was a little sharper than he was against Dallas and that is one of the biggest things i'll be looking at cooming out of the break. He's been far from bad, but he also hasn't been consistent enough and I feel like it's because he's just not quite on his game. Just not quite locked in and seeing pucks as well as from my perspective I think that's why Sutter rode him so much lately, he's trying to get him on his game. Managing both goalies will require a better plan coming out of the break. 

Nice to see the Mang, Coleman, Backlund line becoming a thing. Their emergence is really helping make the Flames deeper. Coleman has started to play like the player the Flames thought they were signing. 

Really, they need to do something with Ritchie during the All Star break.  He hasn't had a positive impact to any line he's been on. Dube looks comfortable on RW, but Ritchie has to play RW, so Dube moves to LW.  The line hasn't looked good compared to when Lucic was on it.  With Lewis and Ruzicka, Ritchie forced Lewis to LW.  2/3 of that line was fine.

If we are trying to devalue Monahan, then we are doing a good job.  Maybe a playmaker might turn them into a good 2-way line instead of a defensive only one.  Trading for a top 9 player bumps Ritchie down and out.  A playmaker from the Heat does the same thing, or at least it should.  

I am finding it strange that Sutter is so reluctant to use Vladar, then again this has been the standard operating procedure for Sutter. He likes to ride his #1's, if you look at his history, he picks a number 1 and that goalie ends up playing 65+ games. Personally I think that is a mistake and is one of Sutter's flaws. 

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am finding it strange that Sutter is so reluctant to use Vladar, then again this has been the standard operating procedure for Sutter. He likes to ride his #1's, if you look at his history, he picks a number 1 and that goalie ends up playing 65+ games. Personally I think that is a mistake and is one of Sutter's flaws. 

It's part of a bigger problem.  Markstrom's game relies upon consistent starts when he is on.  The last month or so has seen anything but that.  Sutter has seen a little inconsistency in Vladar.  His choices are 1) get the #1 goalie rolling by playing him through some questionable play; 2) alternate back and forth and hop both goalies get rolling.

I'm not saying he's doing it right, but he doesn't have a lot of options.  We are barely in the playoffs today and have a lot of home games and B2B to get through, just to catch up to games played by the teams ahead of us.  That's a tall task and one you can't squander.  

I look at this a little different. I don't think it's that Sutter is reluctant to use Vladar I just think he wants to try and get Markstrom in a groove. While his overall numbers are great and I think he is having a pretty good season he has been inconsistent. The schedule was also pretty light so it was pretty easy to use the games to try and see if you can get him in that groove and fight through the inconsistency. 

The schedule gets rough coming up here so I would suspect we'll see more Vladar. This really isn't a normal year so I'm not seeing any issues in terms of Sutter overplaying Markstrom personally. 

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Were we impressed with Chychrun enough from this game that we are willing to give up the farm for him?

He was ok but I never seen anything that was just WOW this guy is a game changer. The only one on that club that was engaged was Keller and the goalie. The one that could be a slight possibilty would be Kessel. Scoring Depth at a cheap price would be good

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

He was ok but I never seen anything that was just WOW this guy is a game changer. The only one on that club that was engaged was Keller and the goalie. The one that could be a slight possibilty would be Kessel. Scoring Depth at a cheap price would be good

Both teams on the back half of a B2B.  We diminated the team from start to finish, and yet he still managed to look good.  Maybe not a game changer in this one, but what defenseman in this game was?  Did he do some nice things with the puck?  Yes.  Is he an upgrade to Hanifin?  Hard to tell from this game, but he looks steady.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Both teams on the back half of a B2B.  We diminated the team from start to finish, and yet he still managed to look good.  Maybe not a game changer in this one, but what defenseman in this game was?  Did he do some nice things with the puck?  Yes.  Is he an upgrade to Hanifin?  Hard to tell from this game, but he looks steady.

B2B or not elite players stand out. IS he a huge is  upgrade over Hanifin not certian Based on the  what we seen in this limited viewing and for the year he is not. IMHO he isn't worth the asking value that has been tossed around. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

B2B or not elite players stand out. IS he a huge is  upgrade over Hanifin not certian Based on the  what we seen in this limited viewing and for the year he is not. IMHO he isn't worth the asking value that has been tossed around. 

I'd ask the scouts? I mean, some of the fans on this board watch more games, and not just the one we played them recently. The schedules suck. I think even the best players are going to be tired, I Didn't look at their schedule and didn't notice if it was one of those 3rd game in 4 nights scenarios that seems to be happening everywhere.

I thought he stood out above the rest of his team D. But then, that was easy to do. The only two that really brought it was Keller and Kessel. Kessel was still all over it, but also all around when it came to shooting.