GDT - Flames at Coyotes February 2, 2022

travel_dude

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

B2B or not elite players stand out. IS he a huge is  upgrade over Hanifin not certian Based on the  what we seen in this limited viewing and for the year he is not. IMHO he isn't worth the asking value that has been tossed around. 

And you are basing it on one game viewing?  On  team that is trying to tank, you expect him to be a plus 15?  We are a diminant team on possession and getting chances, so it could have been 10-2.  Put him on any team with more than a guy leading the team with 38 points.

But anyway, he's up fro grabs so we can ether go in on him or not.

8 hours ago, tmac70 said:

He was ok but I never seen anything that was just WOW this guy is a game changer. The only one on that club that was engaged was Keller and the goalie. The one that could be a slight possibilty would be Kessel. Scoring Depth at a cheap price would be good

Trues.  Chychrun didn't have the most impactful game and was silent mostly... which could be a good thing for a Dman.

Sad watching Keller have no help.  So many good individual plays go to waste.

And Kessel, man he still got that shot.  Lucky his shots missed all game long.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues.  Chychrun didn't have the most impactful game and was silent mostly... which could be a good thing for a Dman.

Sad watching Keller have no help.  So many good individual plays go to waste.

And Kessel, man he still got that shot.  Lucky his shots missed all game long.

I thought Arizona had a field day in that 2016 draft 1st rd. If we had taken Keller or Chychrun I'd be equally happy as Tkachuk.

I saw all 3 quite a bit, as well as Juolevi. If Van took Tkachuk and we took Juolevi, I'd have lost my excrement.

I have no idea what Van was thinking. There were lots of great dmen. How on earth Juolevi got ranked so high I'll honestly never know.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I thought Arizona had a field day in that 2016 draft 1st rd. If we had taken Keller or Chychrun I'd be equally happy as Tkachuk.

I saw all 3 quite a bit, as well as Juolevi. If Van took Tkachuk and we took Juolevi, I'd have lost my excrement.

I have no idea what Van was thinking. There were lots of great dmen. How on earth Juolevi got ranked so high I'll honestly never know.

Would love to bring in Chychrun + Keller in one mega trade.  Keller has the talent to move back to Center and become a #1 Center in the next couple of years (arguably already in the same level as Lindholm).  

Need to start with Hanifin + Monahan to make the cap work.  After that, add a 1st round pick because ARZ wants picks.  After that, we have to part with Coronato or Wolf or something.

If this was summer, then we should start with Tkachuk + 1st.  Tkachuk was born in Phoenix so I presume have family in the area.  Could sign long term.

Adding Keller would be the perfect 2nd line Center to open up Mangiapane.  Backlund settles down as a pure defensive shut down Center.

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Would love to bring in Chychrun + Keller in one mega trade.  Keller has the talent to move back to Center and become a #1 Center in the next couple of years (arguably already in the same level as Lindholm).  

Need to start with Hanifin + Monahan to make the cap work.  After that, add a 1st round pick because ARZ wants picks.  After that, we have to part with Coronato or Wolf or something.

If this was summer, then we should start with Tkachuk + 1st.  Tkachuk was born in Phoenix so I presume have family in the area.  Could sign long term.

Adding Keller would be the perfect 2nd line Center to open up Mangiapane.  Backlund settles down as a pure defensive shut down Center.

Tkachuk being born in Arizona is meaningless really.  His may have some relatives there but mom and dad are in STL.  If all they wanted for those two was Monahan + Hanifin + 1st + prospect, then yeah no brainer.  Have to be a 2023 1st I think, since they have too many in one year so far.  

On one hand it doesn't solve their cap issues, but it does get them out of the Keller deal.  Monahan is a short term pain.  Zary gives them a young C, which helps their depth a bit.  Send them Phillips because we are never going to use him.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk being born in Arizona is meaningless really.  His may have some relatives there but mom and dad are in STL.  If all they wanted for those two was Monahan + Hanifin + 1st + prospect, then yeah no brainer.  Have to be a 2023 1st I think, since they have too many in one year so far.  

On one hand it doesn't solve their cap issues, but it does get them out of the Keller deal.  Monahan is a short term pain.  Zary gives them a young C, which helps their depth a bit.  Send them Phillips because we are never going to use him.

I don't think Keller is a cap dump anymore.  He's performing to salary... I mean, Montreal is paying more for Nick Suzuki and both players are comparable.  Keller might be better at this point.  Keller has the same points as Hertl for example and everyone here seems to be on board with getting Hertl as a rental.  Keller would not be a rental and will continue to get better at only 23-years-old.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think Keller is a cap dump anymore.  He's performing to salary... I mean, Montreal is paying more for Nick Suzuki and both players are comparable.  Keller might be better at this point.  Keller has the same points as Hertl for example and everyone here seems to be on board with getting Hertl as a rental.  Keller would not be a rental and will continue to get better at only 23-years-old.

maybe the idea is that Hertyl will cost less because he has less term? 

I can’t see Keller and Chychrun being cheap as a package. Monahan is a dump so have to add to get rid of him. It is going to cost more to actually get rid of him. 
whoever decided to play him all year last year we’re idiots, including him. If this is how the organization treats its  players, it’s kind of sick. Monahan and the team are getting what they deserve. It’s great that he wants to play through and be a team guy, but this is what happens if you do that. He put short term gain ahead of long term gains, and that’s what this team is about. 

i hope they never allow a player to play through injury like that again. 

now, at the moment I think he still isn’t 100% or maybe is a new 100 for him, so this is what he is. 

what is Keller worth alone?

whet is Chychrun worth alone.

add them together and it’s not Monahan, Hanifin, a prospect and a pick. Even Tkachuk and a 1st isn’t enough for both players. 

would anyone do

Tkachuk, Hanifin, Zary(or coronato) and a 1st

for

Keller, Chychrun and Kessel? 

the problem with not drafting these kinds of players is you end up paying for them. 

personally I feel Tkachuk’s worth is lower too, by waiting until basically one year before he gets his UFA status. It’s good to have some control, but if we trade him anywhere there’s only a guarantee that he signs only the QO. How many other teams want to pay for that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

is there a cap on how many 1st rounders a team is allowed to accumulate? Or do they want to diversify and have more the next year instead? 

i see Monahan as a guy you gotta add to a package to get rid of. He has history but that’s it. It’s just history. I don’t think I want an injury riddled player and not paying for that, so if I get him, I want extra just in case. I think it takes more in a deal to get those players.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

is there a cap on how many 1st rounders a team is allowed to accumulate? Or do they want to diversify and have more the next year instead? 

i see Monahan as a guy you gotta add to a package to get rid of. He has history but that’s it. It’s just history. I don’t think I want an injury riddled player and not paying for that, so if I get him, I want extra just in case. I think it takes more in a deal to get those players.

No limit that I know of.  They really just have their own and one of MTL's.  It's at best a late top 10.  Or it's CAR's if MTL is top 10.  Or MTL's pick out of top 10.  COL's is a late 1st.  They have 5 x 2nd this year.  

We really have no idea the value of Monahan.  They took a package of crap for OEL and Garland's rights.  Really just a 1st.  That worked out, but at what cost.  If they trade Chychrun and Keller, it's to get rid of long term cap.  I would suspect, we would need to send them a young D + Monahan + 1st in 2023 + prospect(s).  Monahan could provide some onger term value if he can still score.  Valimaki helps replace Chychrun.  Maybe add Dube in the mix.  

Robs our depth and youth, but we get two players near the top of their games at a still young age.