GDT FLAMES @ Oilers Sat 22 Jan 2022

rocketdoctor

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Refs blew this game..

Missed a blatant penalty on Kylington that took out the D and allowed Draisaitl to have a clear path past Tanev.

No. The Flames did. They like Blockchaining everything up. Oilers sucking. Flames suck.

It's just dumb.

Isn't the goalie coach's job also scouting the goalie that you're about to face?

Sure didn't look like it.

Typical Flames effort Satoshi Nakamoto the bed when they could have cut the head off the snake. I will say that the Flames never played well enough to win but the reffing was fing god awful This club also just doesn't have that killer instinct that makes a champion. That last goal was on Tanev too, you cant get beat one on one like that. He gave him a lane to drive the net, stand him up get in the lane instead of fishing for the puck. Totally disappointed in the effort tonight, fragile team and you gave them life, Pathetic 

Plus I get Sutter is honest but shut the F8%k up about the opposition. I love sutter as a coach but he might as well be campaigining for the HC job with the Coilers with his interviews. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Typical Flames effort Satoshi Nakamoto the bed when they could have cut the head off the snake. I will say that the Flames never played well enough to win but the reffing was fing god awful This club also just doesn't have that killer instinct that makes a champion. That last goal was on Tanev too, you cant get beat one on one like that. He gave him a lane to drive the net, stand him up get in the lane instead of fishing for the puck. Totally disappointed in the effort tonight, fragile team and you gave them life, Pathetic 

Plus I get Sutter is honest but shut the F8%k up about the opposition. I love sutter as a coach but he might as well be campaigining for the HC job with the Coilers with his interviews. 

Yep. Back to the same old, same old. You said it Tmac - I’ve been campaigning for players with killer instinct for a long time. Like I said in a previous post, we let our opposition set our bar. I’d argue Florida set our bar last game too, that’s why we came out strong. It doesn’t take much for our flames to stroke their egos and lay off the gas. In this fan’s opinion, that’s Sutter’s greatest challenge with this team. It’s not X’s and O’s. And that’s why, TMac, that Sutter talks up the other team. It’s one of his strategies to get the Flames to put in a better and more consistent effort. Throwing your team or specific players under the bus is another way to do it, but the way Sutter does it shifts the focus to the other team as opposed to alienating or discouraging flames players. In fact, I think Sutter is a wicked smart coach who’s methods are very current and strategically navigates the minds of gen Z and millennial players (which are completely different from players of generations past). How do you motivate young millionaires, playing in the show, to win? Well, say anything attacking and they’ll shut you out, play their cancel culture card, and ignore anything you say moving forward. Not ideal when you’re running a team. But, telling them there’s someone better than them on the other team? That’s a better way to motivate them. 

To be clear, my intent is not to attack Gen Z or Millenials. I’m pointing out the differences between generations, not identifying any as better or worse than the other. I am a teacher, and every few years I see changes in my students and I have to adapt to those changes to give them what they need. I do believe that the “everyone’s a winner” movement has been detrimental to our youth. Kids sports no longer keeping score, everyone getting a participation ribbon, giving accolades and rewards for minimal effort and accomplishment… these are motivation drainers. Coaching used to be about the cerebral chess match between coaches on either bench. It’s still cerebral now, but the match is between the coach and his players first - the matchup against the opposing team and coach has become secondary. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Yep. Back to the same old, same old. You said it Tmac - I’ve been campaigning for players with killer instinct for a long time. Like I said in a previous post, we let our opposition set our bar. I’d argue Florida set our bar last game too, that’s why we came out strong. It doesn’t take much for our flames to stroke their egos and lay off the gas. In this fan’s opinion, that’s Sutter’s greatest challenge with this team. It’s not X’s and O’s. And that’s why, TMac, that Sutter talks up the other team. It’s one of his strategies to get the Flames to put in a better and more consistent effort. Throwing your team or specific players under the bus is another way to do it, but the way Sutter does it shifts the focus to the other team as opposed to alienating or discouraging flames players. In fact, I think Sutter is a wicked smart coach who’s methods are very current and strategically navigates the minds of gen Z and millennial players (which are completely different from players of generations past). How do you motivate young millionaires, playing in the show, to win? Well, say anything attacking and they’ll shut you out, play their cancel culture card, and ignore anything you say moving forward. Not ideal when you’re running a team. But, telling them there’s someone better than them on the other team? That’s a better way to motivate them. 

To be clear, my intent is not to attack Gen Z or Millenials. I’m pointing out the differences between generations, not identifying any as better or worse than the other. I am a teacher, and every few years I see changes in my students and I have to adapt to those changes to give them what they need. I do believe that the “everyone’s a winner” movement has been detrimental to our youth. Kids sports no longer keeping score, everyone getting a participation ribbon, giving accolades and rewards for minimal effort and accomplishment… these are motivation drainers. Coaching used to be about the cerebral chess match between coaches on either bench. It’s still cerebral now, but the match is between the coach and his players first - the matchup against the opposing team and coach has become secondary. 

Great point and I struggled with this a few years back. I am a Real Estate agent now but also still a PGA golf professional. I had 2 juniors finish 1 -2 in the provincials both had colleges knocking on their doors. I explained to them that as good as they showed here the next level was goingto a  huge eye opener, and if they viewed as not being good enough but this is what I need to do to be successful they would be fine.  It was how they dealt with that adversity that would define their success. One them was directly offended by my comment. He felt that his game, was good enough to show instant results at that level. Needless to say 1 quit 6 months in which didn't surprise me as he was handed everything.  The other one who I had the disagreement with, finished college and has a degree. He and I discussed the topic and he even agreed that I was correct, but he did not want to belvie it.  My failure was not communicating in away that he understood. The problem is these kids don't know what failure was. As I explined to my kids about school, was their grades were a reflection of what they retained in that section of the topic at that time. I have had multiple arguements with school teachers and school boards about this. You can not set these young people up by tell them how good they are and they have them as young adults find out that what do you mean I have to put an effort in. IMHO this is part of the mental health issues we have today

19 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Great point and I struggled with this a few years back. I am a Real Estate agent now but also still a PGA golf professional. I had 2 juniors finish 1 -2 in the provincials both had colleges knocking on their doors. I explained to them that as good as they showed here the next level was goingto a  huge eye opener, and if they viewed as not being good enough but this is what I need to do to be successful they would be fine.  It was how they dealt with that adversity that would define their success. One them was directly offended by my comment. He felt that his game, was good enough to show instant results at that level. Needless to say 1 quit 6 months in which didn't surprise me as he was handed everything.  The other one who I had the disagreement with, finished college and has a degree. He and I discussed the topic and he even agreed that I was correct, but he did not want to belvie it.  My failure was not communicating in away that he understood. The problem is these kids don't know what failure was. As I explined to my kids about school, was their grades were a reflection of what they retained in that section of the topic at that time. I have had multiple arguements with school teachers and school boards about this. You can not set these young people up by tell them how good they are and they have them as young adults find out that what do you mean I have to put an effort in. IMHO this is part of the mental health issues we have today

Wow Tmac! Never knew you were a PGA golf pro! That’s pretty awesome man! 

And regarding the bolded - these are exactly my thoughts regarding mental health and the reason why so many young adults are prescribed pills to cope with “life”. My hypothesis is that children need to experience failure and loss and success and winning during their young lives so that they develop the mechanisms to cope and deal with such situations at a young age, so they can better handle them in adulthood. Children are far more adaptable and resilient, whereas as we grow towards adulthood we become more rigid. Experiencing failure for the first time as an adult is much more difficult to deal with than if those situations were experienced as a child. It’s my opinion that today we are setting up our children to be dependent instead of independent, and pushing them towards depending on substances to cope with life instead of allowing them to develop resiliency skills in their youth. 

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So here we are, being "that" team. End losing streaks, make goalies outstanding.

I think Kos was one reason the game was close to begin with, there were a few sure fire goals he had no business stopping.  But you're right, if any goalie is going to have a confidence booster game, whether its deserved or not,  it will be against the flames.

39 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I think Kos was one reason the game was close to begin with, there were a few sure fire goals he had no business stopping.  But you're right, if any goalie is going to have a confidence booster game, whether its deserved or not,  it will be against the flames.

They weren’t going high on him. It was virtually non-existent. I could see net, why couldn’t they? This team’s mentality is still a struggle for me. Do they not study a goalie’s weak spots? Every goalie is great when you play to there strengths. Lucic had a perfect chance, elevate the dang thing. He’s big and always down, lift the puck. He doesn’t give much low. We make any goalie look great. Figure it out, it’s painful.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Exactly and can someone point out why this is? I remeber when CGY went to the finals in 04 and LA won their cups. Every mistake the opposition made the CGY or LA capilized on. I would say 95% of the time. It was crazy to watch. Our current team christ is 5-1 odds we score. 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They weren’t going high on him. It was virtually non-existent. I could see net, why couldn’t they? This team’s mentality is still a struggle for me. Do they not study a goalie’s weak spots? Every goalie is great when you play to there strengths. Lucic had a perfect chance, elevate the dang thing. He’s big and always down, lift the puck. He doesn’t give much low. We make any goalie look great. Figure it out, it’s painful.

Must have been frustrating for the coach to watch.

Come down the middle, try to pass through a crowd to the wing?

Gues it doesn;t matter when they shoot to the body.

Kylington had a perfect lane to the ney and tries to blast it through Kostco's body.

Those are the chances that are so rare and you don;t try to pick a corner?

One timers - into the body.

2nd chances - into the body.

Had we scored the 3rd goal before EDM got on the board, EDM would have folded.

But we have them an easy PP from a frustrated young player.

The 2nd PP was weak, but gets called a lot when it's McDavid.

He should have been called on the dive playing against Tkachuk, but they never call thos anymore.

At best, it's 2 each.

O never like allowing a team to get off the Schnide.  EDN has an easy schedule compared to our insane next 4 weeks.  4 B2B sets.  Starts with 4 games in 6 nights, follwed by 2 days off then a B2B.  Then 6 days off then a B2B.  Only plus is that Vladar will get the net back for some games.  Markstrom has great games followed by average ones.  Can;t say he was the reason we lost last night though.  4 goals is just too many, though.  

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:

i also think that social media puts even more pressure on kids to be “liked” and it creates anxiety. 

imagine if they gave Michael Jordan participation ribbons & didn’t keep track of their points. Although, the bests do rise up. But we see the majority don’t put in the win at all costs efforts they used to. 

I felt the team started out good. Played to their identity in the first and completely left their identity in the locker room after that. 

they shoot a lot to the body. They don’t shoot for more chances. They looked like they were going through the motions after the first and once that happened they handed them the game.

I get it's never fun to lose to the Oilers but I personally didn't feel very negative about the game. I thought they Flames played very well, really dominated the Oilers for much of the game and it came down to penalties and Koskinen. They took too many penalties and gave a really good PP time to work and I thought Koskinen was excellent and really won them the game. I don't agree they were shooting in his body, he made 3-5 very good saves. 

Results weren't there but the process was. You win like that way more often than you lose.