Bruins @ FLAMES - Sat 11 Dec 2021

rocketdoctor

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i like that they just tried Ruzicka with Mange and Coleman. Be good to see if he could get a bit more. He’s been quiet but I’m my opinion decent.

Ruzicka is coming along and I think is not far from performing to Monahan's level.  I know that's not hard to do or anything but still.  It shows he belongs in the NHL.  Now we need to see if he's capable of top 6.  

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka is coming along and I think is not far from performing to Monahan's level.  I know that's not hard to do or anything but still.  It shows he belongs in the NHL.  Now we need to see if he's capable of top 6.  

Jesus man. Enough with the Monahan hate. It's old. We suck at center, yet, here you are, moving a center. Relentlessly specific.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Jesus man. Enough with the Monahan hate. It's old. We suck at center, yet, here you are, moving a center. Relentlessly specific.

Ruzicka could legit pass Monahan on the depth chart before the end of the season.  Only question is, does Ruzicka trend up enough or does Monahan trend down too much... because we know Ruzicka will be trending up.

Man, I haven't even gotten started with Backlund... 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Man what a frustrating game to watch.  The Flames outplayed the Bruins but the Bruins score on non-chances.  

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

it was one of those games where the team didn't play bad and where they didn't score on their grade-A chances. But a lot of those other ones I didn't feel like they were going to score. We seem to have a hard time scoring when teams clog up that slot. Also, a hard time scoring when teams match our efforts. There has been good efforts on the both sides in the last handful of games. 

I wouldn't say we totally outplayed the Bruins. I think the Flames had those 4 powerplays and the fact that they were chasing the whole game made it mandatory to play harder/catch up. 

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it was one of those games where the team didn't play bad and where they didn't score on their grade-A chances. But a lot of those other ones I didn't feel like they were going to score. We seem to have a hard time scoring when teams clog up that slot. Also, a hard time scoring when teams match our efforts. There has been good efforts on the both sides in the last handful of games. 

I wouldn't say we totally outplayed the Bruins. I think the Flames had those 4 powerplays and the fact that they were chasing the whole game made it mandatory to play harder/catch up. 

It's that time of year.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Right now, glaring needs are,

• #1 Dman/PP QB
  • Mangiapane needs a Center with better vision and passing to play with

Your PP QB doesnt necessarily need to be a D man.  The bigger issue I see is the #1 PP is too predictable, everyone has already figured it out, thats why they never seem to have the space to do anything and cross seam passes are getting intercepted/deflected.  If they put out PP#2 first to wear down the PKers then maybe the #1 guys may have a little time when they swap in.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Your PP QB doesnt necessarily need to be a D man.  The bigger issue I see is the #1 PP is too predictable, everyone has already figured it out, thats why they never seem to have the space to do anything and cross seam passes are getting intercepted/deflected.  If they put out PP#2 first to wear down the PKers then maybe the #1 guys may have a little time when they swap in.

True, but, the need for a #1 D  (actually two of them) is more important than the perceived need for a PP QB.  Flames were already leading the league in powerplay stuff and other stats that matter early in a regular season.  but we're getting into the 2nd half of the season now and the referees will get quieter by the game.   If our PP isn't good enough now, it never will be.  Sometimes you need to be a decent team 5 on 5.  And by "sometimes", I mean, playoffs, and games leading up to them.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

True, but, the need for a #1 D  (actually two of them) is more important than the perceived need for a PP QB.  Flames were already leading the league in powerplay stuff and other stats that matter early in a regular season.  but we're getting into the 2nd half of the season now and the referees will get quieter by the game.   If our PP isn't good enough now, it never will be.  Sometimes you need to be a decent team 5 on 5.  And by "sometimes", I mean, playoffs, and games leading up to them.

Which is why I will stay on the Chychrun Train. For me Hannifin isn’t getting it done. And we probably have to overpay to get him, but the time is now, so he can build team chemistry before the playoffs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I recorded and watch a potion there of after the wifes Xmas party. I fast forwarded the rest after the Bruins second goal. 

The effort is usally there but Sutter keeps alluding to in his press conferances in the under tone, this is not a great hockey club. We have to play a certain way, must have above average goaltending, and defend better. Tonights game 1st & 4th goal is 100% Markstom, 2nd Goal piss poor coverage from Backlund and bad bad gap control on Anderson, 3rd forwards fly the zone to fast without control puck loosely tossed up the middle, we do this 3-4 times a game it seems. Most games we shoot when there is a pass, pass when there should be a shot, and when the oppurtunity is there either miss the net of fumble the puck. The other factor we never use I seen in the Carolina game, was when  Lucic stood up for Mags against one of the dman, we need and require more of this. We have players that could enforce this intimidation factor and its not used in my opinion. The effort is by far better than most years and Sutter is right to have succuss one has to play a certian way to have succuss. The old habits come back and when they do we get scored on, loose coverage, bad goaltending, and bad break out were always our problem. When these habits re appear we will always be on the losing end of the score sheet. This club needs a least 4-1 mistakes ratio per game by the opponet for us to capitilze. When LA won their cups, they constantly capilized on their oppurtunity, you don't see that with this club. Its on the goal line, miss the net, cross bar, posts, hit the goalie in the chest, than ever 4th -5th chance oops we get one, lol. This club is playing better than previous years but its a system and style change that has multiple factors that have to align for succuss.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Which is why I will stay on the Chychrun Train. For me Hannifin isn’t getting it done. And we probably have to overpay to get him, but the time is now, so he can build team chemistry before the playoffs. 

I agree with all of this except the overpaying part lol.   But I suppose if we were still top 3 in the league on the trade deadline, I might make that exception.

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I agree with all of this except the overpaying part lol.   But I suppose if we were still top 3 in the league on the trade deadline, I might make that exception.

Chychrun would be a great add on but it will never happen. There is no way PHX trades him, so its a mute conversation just a pipe dream. If we are looking to add, he wont be it. With Hanifin, that boat has sailed for me 2 years ago, man that boy is not the brightest light bulb. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka could legit pass Monahan on the depth chart before the end of the season.  Only question is, does Ruzicka trend up enough or does Monahan trend down too much... because we know Ruzicka will be trending up.

Man, I haven't even gotten started with Backlund... 

lol

Can't wait. Talk about frustrating. Tanking at the same time as the Oilers. The missed opportunities are piling up. Wish our PP1 would set up differently. No one is ever driving through the slot, just playing perimeters. PP2, do we really need Backs out there? His passing vision is highly suspect to me. Or swap Backs and Mony.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I recorded and watch a potion there of after the wifes Xmas party. I fast forwarded the rest after the Bruins second goal. 

The effort is usally there but Sutter keeps alluding to in his press conferances in the under tone, this is not a great hockey club. We have to play a certain way, must have above average goaltending, and defend better. Tonights game 1st & 4th goal is 100% Markstom, 2nd Goal piss poor coverage from Backlund and bad bad gap control on Anderson, 3rd forwards fly the zone to fast without control puck loosely tossed up the middle, we do this 3-4 times a game it seems. Most games we shoot when there is a pass, pass when there should be a shot, and when the oppurtunity is there either miss the net of fumble the puck. The other factor we never use I seen in the Carolina game, was when  Lucic stood up for Mags against one of the dman, we need and require more of this. We have players that could enforce this intimidation factor and its not used in my opinion. The effort is by far better than most years and Sutter is right to have succuss one has to play a certian way to have succuss. The old habits come back and when they do we get scored on, loose coverage, bad goaltending, and bad break out were always our problem. When these habits re appear we will always be on the losing end of the score sheet. This club needs a least 4-1 mistakes ratio per game by the opponet for us to capitilze. When LA won their cups, they constantly capilized on their oppurtunity, you don't see that with this club. Its on the goal line, miss the net, cross bar, posts, hit the goalie in the chest, than ever 4th -5th chance oops we get one, lol. This club is playing better than previous years but its a system and style change that has multiple factors that have to align for succuss.

yes, And it’s frustrating to watch a pass when a shot is there or to watch a shot when a pass is there. A huge pet peeve. I’m a firm believer that a shot is just as good as a pass, and I know it’s basic, but those 2nd or 3rd chances are usually what gets teams goals. How good are the goalies these days, even below average NHLers? They’re typically a first save level, but I don’t need to explain that here. 

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I think what he is saying that we play less than we need to at times.

Poor D coverage or average goalrtending, where the other goalie is above average.

You can't have low scoring + poor D coverage + average goatending.

It's one thing to get lots of chances, but you need to bear down a bit if the goalie is standing tall.

The greasey ones are the ones you need then.

But even so, once you get down by 2 or more, the other teams just need to shut you down.

Sutter complained about average goaltending in the last couple of games.

Markstrom has to be better.

Vladar has to be better.

To sume it up, the team needs to find ways every game.

Score if you need more goals.

Make a critical save.

BReak up a chance at the blue line.

Stop the needless turnovers. 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

although, #1 in our division. Vegas might catch us quick… 

i know I’m quoting myself but just elaborating what I said earlier…

Well, we are 1 point up on ANA with a game in hand.

4 up on EDM, but they have two games in hand (tie at best with equal games).

5 up on SJS equal games.

6 up on Vegas, but they have 2 games in hand.

The thing hurting us is home games.

While we have played the least there, we have a 12 points in 11 games record.

That has to change as we start to play more at home.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think what he is saying that we play less than we need to at times.

Poor D coverage or average goalrtending, where the other goalie is above average.

You can't have low scoring + poor D coverage + average goatending.

It's one thing to get lots of chances, but you need to bear down a bit if the goalie is standing tall.

The greasey ones are the ones you need then.

But even so, once you get down by 2 or more, the other teams just need to shut you down.

Sutter complained about average goaltending in the last couple of games.

Markstrom has to be better.

Vladar has to be better.

To sume it up, the team needs to find ways every game.

Score if you need more goals.

Make a critical save.

BReak up a chance at the blue line.

Stop the needless turnovers. 

Well they would Score a lot more if…

Gaudreau/Monahan/

Tachuck/Lindholm 

Manji/Backlund/Coleman 

Lucic/dube 

we NEED RW’s all Sutter has done is his this weakness which teams are now seeing again…we have not made any significant moves on that side since Iggy has been there it needs to be fixed…sure Lindholm his it for a while on the Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm line for a year…and now

loving Tachuck to RW is pretty much the same thing all over again…we NEED TWO TOP 6 RW’s to compete properly and to be consistent on a regular basis…by regular basis I mean year in and year out…not a good start, push 1/2 way or end of the season…but the whole

season