3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think what he is saying is that some people look for the mistakes.  

well, mistakes did kill the team in the past. I know it’s a different team. We know that If they’re on their game they make less mistakes. While mistakes happen, there’s a difference between mistakes happen or panicking and throwing blind passes and to no one and giving them goals.

I don't think it's so black and white with the positivity / negativity. I know a few of us on this board are happy with the effort in a game moreso than the outcome. And that goes for wins and losses. This last game against SEA I said we stole the 2 points, because the effort wasn't there most of the game. Even in our best period, SEA got a breakaway and a few good chances to score, but Vladar held us in. Other games we've put 40-50 shots on net, had many high-danger chances, came out on the losing end, but I still applauded the effort and looked forward to the next game having a more positive outcome. I generally look for patterns in our play. A couple of the more concerning patterns I've been seeing over the last 8-10 games are our inability to make sure the puck gets out of our zone on the first try. Opposing teams are getting so much more zone time because we're not making sure the puck gets out. Another one is the incredibly more passive coverage in our own zone - we used to be so aggressive... first to loose pucks and all-over the puck carrier in our own zone. Offensively, we've stopped attacking the middle of the ice. We're only playing the perimeter. Our powerplay is showing the same issue. There used to be so much movement, and lately everyone is more anchored to "their spot". I just want to see them get back to the formula that has had them be so successful all year. It's definitely been a grind with all of the make-up games and condensed schedule for sure. They're human, and I'm sure fatigue and bumps and bruises are responsible. Tampon Bay I think has lost 10 of their last 16 games as well - so this isn't just a Flames thing. It is awesome though to know what they're capable of when they're on their game. I'm looking forward to tonight's game against Vegas. I think there will be a lot more effort in this one given the implications on the standings. GFG! 

• Like 1

In the 3rd period, we obviously would be taking some chances that allow an odd man rush.  Comes with the game score.  We started down 2, so you can't just sit back.  Our worst games come from sitting back.  We have to constantly look for the next goal.  Otherwise we are just defending, which is more a late game thing.  

I have concerns that we don't have 4 lines rolling every game.  Fatigue was a factor with the 4th line and inexperience with the 3rd pairing, which is why we want to get the missing D back in.  They should be 100% now.  Funny how we are now using Tkachuk and Dube on the 2nd line, but it has worked.  Tkachuk will be back to the top line, but he's wearing down trying to keep up with Johnny and Lindy.  I only worry about who has to play on the wrong wing.  But the other side of it is that Backlund needs help.  He's struggling a bit.  The Tkachuk bump should help him.  

First pass out has been an issue for a few weeks now, but we should be better with Kyl and Gud back in.  Same with clearing.  We have beaten the VGK before, so tonight we should be able to put on a good show.  We play structured against them.  A win tonight is a big blow to their playoff hopes.  They can go win against the Oilers and set back them.

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

well, mistakes did kill the team in the past. I know it’s a different team. We know that If they’re on their game they make less mistakes. While mistakes happen, there’s a difference between mistakes happen or panicking and throwing blind passes and to no one and giving them goals.

I like you have beat this club down multiple times in the past. Did they have a good effort against Seattle no. What we have to be greatful for this year is 1) We have a coach, something all of us have been screaming for for decades 2) The culture and work ethic has been corrected 3) We have a winning team, despite the lack of efforts on occasion. 

Regardless of what happens this season, its been a breath of fresh to watch games this year, I am thankful of that. Much like life someone could do 99 things right but the 1 thing thats done wrong is the only thing that is remembered or mentioned. This club, players, coaches, trainers, management have done a lot of things correct or took measures to rectify past issues. As I said before its been more of a enjoyment to watch this year the years previous. Regardless of the outcome moving forward, this year has far more positives than negatives, that is something we should all be grqateful for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I like you have beat this club down multiple times in the past. Did they have a good effort against Seattle no. What we have to be greatful for this year is 1) We have a coach, something all of us have been screaming for for decades 2) The culture and work ethic has been corrected 3) We have a winning team, despite the lack of efforts on occasion. 

Regardless of what happens this season, its been a breath of fresh to watch games this year, I am thankful of that. Much like life someone could do 99 things right but the 1 thing thats done wrong is the only thing that is remembered or mentioned. This club, players, coaches, trainers, management have done a lot of things correct or took measures to rectify past issues. As I said before its been more of a enjoyment to watch this year the years previous. Regardless of the outcome moving forward, this year has far more positives than negatives, that is something we should all be grqateful for. 

Well said. They've kept us intrigued for 5 months as opposed to leaving us apathetic like last year.

Of course we all want playoff success, so does every hockey fan.

For me, it's a team that puts the workboots on and that's all that I ever asked. Win or lose this is a good team that leaves it all out on the ice. Come what may, it's been a really satisfying year of not getting laughed at for being a Flames fan.

I like that we have a coach that knows what it takes.  We don't hear anymore the post and pre game stuff like "oh, we have to be better" or "Need to improve X" or "We want to win 4 of 7 sets".  That means so little.  It's lip service.  Sutter is using Mange on the top line because he can and is coaching against another team.  Look at outcomes and see what you need.  Play a certain style against a certain team.  Wants to get more offence from the D, and the top 3 have done their jobs, need the other 3 to do the same.  Find out who the other 3 are.  Have different looks from players comfortable with the lines.  Like Tkachuk or Mange or Dube.  Having guys that can play off wing.  Who is the best 5 that you can play as a unit.

He talked about getting Markstrom 4 days off between games to finish.  Reading into that, you get Marky for tonight and next Tuesday.  The VAN and Minny.  That leaves ARI, CHI, DAL and WPG for Vladar.  Sutter may even go last 2 games with Vladar to give Marky an extended break.    

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like that we have a coach that knows what it takes.  We don't hear anymore the post and pre game stuff like "oh, we have to be better" or "Need to improve X" or "We want to win 4 of 7 sets".  That means so little.  It's lip service.  Sutter is using Mange on the top line because he can and is coaching against another team.  Look at outcomes and see what you need.  Play a certain style against a certain team.  Wants to get more offence from the D, and the top 3 have done their jobs, need the other 3 to do the same.  Find out who the other 3 are.  Have different looks from players comfortable with the lines.  Like Tkachuk or Mange or Dube.  Having guys that can play off wing.  Who is the best 5 that you can play as a unit.

He talked about getting Markstrom 4 days off between games to finish.  Reading into that, you get Marky for tonight and next Tuesday.  The VAN and Minny.  That leaves ARI, CHI, DAL and WPG for Vladar.  Sutter may even go last 2 games with Vladar to give Marky an extended break.    

I look fwd to Sutter's interviews almost as much as games. He has an incredible grasp on what he wants and what he expects. I think, more than anything, the Flames are his fave team like it is ours. Being a very high level coach, he was as frustrated as we were watching crap. He's fully invested in fixing all of the junk we were watching.

There have been a lot of fixes throughout the org, I think he's a thoroughly invested Flames fan that at some point last year decided, "JFC I can't watch this Satoshi Nakamotoshow any longer". And he had the stroke to change us.

God love 'em.

• Like 2

It appears that Rozie is the 2nd regular callup.  He was placed on the roster the other day.  I think you may see him in the next few games, to see if he can be a regular for the playoffs.  Haven't liked his faceoff stats, but as a team we seem to struggle some games. 

Even though Dube is scoring, I don't think Sutter is thrilled with the rest of his game.  It might be a good time to experiment with the bottom 6.

Coleman-Ruzie-Jarnkrok

Lucic-Dube-Lewis

You might even want to go a couple of steps further:

Coleman-Backlund-Jarnkrok

Mangiapane-Rozie-Toffoli

Lucic-Dube-Lewis

Jarnkrok is due to break out, but I think it's a good idea to put him with Backlund to improve the defense there and to give a 2nd guy for draws.  Backlund gets tossed way too often.  Mange and Toffee get a decent passer and Toffee more likely to get a forehand pass from Rozie.  That line would have speed and a decent sized C.  The 4th line reunites Dube with Lucic, just in time for the playoffs.  It keeps Dube off the boards on entries.  

I like your analysis to keep Dube off the boards, and have been wondering why he is struggling? I see him forecheck so we’ll and create turnovers down low, and then see him get pushed off the puck along the wall and wonder what’s going on. Get him off the wall, let Looch and Lewis do the heavy lifting and have Dube flying around the middle of the ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I like your analysis to keep Dube off the boards, and have been wondering why he is struggling? I see him forecheck so we’ll and create turnovers down low, and then see him get pushed off the puck along the wall and wonder what’s going on. Get him off the wall, let Looch and Lewis do the heavy lifting and have Dube flying around the middle of the ice.

I mean don't get me wrong, Dube is a decent player.  He has some areas he could be better in. Sutter mentioned transition out of the zone.  He might be better away from the walls, since he doesn't have to win the battle there.  I do believe he needs more consistency in draws and perhaps a little better in the D-zone.  I guess that's why I though he might be best with Lucic and Lewis.  Where Lucic struggles is the short pass to begin the zone exit.  Dube is a bit more slipper in the middle and could take the pass.  Ruzie is fine there, but I see his skills used possible better at C on the 3rd line.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Damn you're fast.lol

That must have just happened. Hehe.

I was reading where he wasn;t on the Heat lineup, even though they can clinch tonight.

One may suspect Marky gets the night off, and Wolf is the backup.

Nice payday for Wolfie.

And a great chance to work with the NHL coaches.

EDIT - down to one regular callup now.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks like an emergency recall for Wolf. Markstrom getting the full day off. 

would like to see them get Wolf his first nhl start though. He’s earned it. 

Equally nice to see Chechelev promoted to the A. Is he committed to University next year? I don't recall. I know Sergeev is.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Equally nice to see Chechelev promoted to the A. Is he committed to University next year? I don't recall. I know Sergeev is.

No he’s already turned pro. Can’t go back so he’ll be likely with Wolf in the A next year. I can’t imagine Werner is back. 

but I agree it’s nice to see him get some A games. From what I’ve heard/read he’s played better then his numbers indicate. 

• Thanks 1

An interesting wrinkle of the rules of recalls.

If the Flames use all of them by the end of the season, they have access to all of them, but can only keep 3 on the roster at any time.  We have used 2 of 4 regular ones.  If we call up 2 more and place them on the roster, we can cycle through them and keep as many as 3 on the roster.  That's while Heat are still in the playoffs.

I won't be that surprised to see two more guys called up and played in the final game.  They may not be the best guys available.  While Sutter's preference is to keep guys rolling, he may want to sit a playter or two, to give them a break on a meaningless game 82.  B2B is not the best way to go into the playoffs.  

This is how I understand the rules.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

An interesting wrinkle of the rules of recalls.

If the Flames use all of them by the end of the season, they have access to all of them, but can only keep 3 on the roster at any time.  We have used 2 of 4 regular ones.  If we call up 2 more and place them on the roster, we can cycle through them and keep as many as 3 on the roster.  That's while Heat are still in the playoffs.

I won't be that surprised to see two more guys called up and played in the final game.  They may not be the best guys available.  While Sutter's preference is to keep guys rolling, he may want to sit a playter or two, to give them a break on a meaningless game 82.  B2B is not the best way to go into the playoffs.  

This is how I understand the rules.  

Has the playoff schedule been announced?  Are the Flames starting May 2 or 3?

I'll be surprised if the Flames use more recalls other than emergency ones. I think they have enough flexibility to move some guys in/out of their lineup. I don't think Sutter also wants to sit a ton of guys and would rather monitor ice time than anything. 

Think you  need to balance rest with effectiveness and be careful as to not mail in the final games of the season and then try to turn things on come playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'll be surprised if the Flames use more recalls other than emergency ones. I think they have enough flexibility to move some guys in/out of their lineup. I don't think Sutter also wants to sit a ton of guys and would rather monitor ice time than anything. 

Think you  need to balance rest with effectiveness and be careful as to not mail in the final games of the season and then try to turn things on come playoffs. 

I'm not saying he will, just that it provides more options if they use the final 2 and play for one game.  It's been a tough schedule to finish out the season.  The B2B is going to tax players with maybe 3 days break at most.  Game 82 a nothing game against a heavy team.  Good tune up, but maybe an added risk to some players.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not saying he will, just that it provides more options if they use the final 2 and play for one game.  It's been a tough schedule to finish out the season.  The B2B is going to tax players with maybe 3 days break at most.  Game 82 a nothing game against a heavy team.  Good tune up, but maybe an added risk to some players.

Every team the Flames could possibly play is doing 3 in 4 nights to end the year, they aren't in the same position as the Flames can manage minutes, which Sutter has done all year.  Top forward is 27th in TOI/G, Top D is 41st, so I don't really worry about fatigue, injuries may happen but I'd say game 1 will be far more physical than game 82.