Jankowski waived today

Horsman1

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Such a fall from grace.. all he needed to do was play to his 6/4 size and he had it made.. Too soft for such a big guy.. There were a number of ex Flames on the wire today

That’s a shame, there were high expectations for him, he seemed like he was gonna do well in Pits.  But his big issue was indeed too soft for a big player all he needed to Do as play hard  and use his size….

I wonder if he would be worth signing and sending to the AHL, maybe he could be a home grown reclamation project…he’s not that old yet, i wonder if Sutter could kinda fix him…first by going to the AHL with a particular development plan this year and maybe next year he could be a usable Ctr on 3/4 line? 

he’s not unskilled, so it would be a matter of taking the time to figure out what he needs to fix then sending him to the AHL to develop/work in particular things???🤔 

Maybe he never recovered from the Wilson hit.

It's too bad because Janko has an underrated wrist shot and has breakaway speed.  I thought with that alone, he would find a home on the LW of either Crosby or Malkin and really light it up.  A 25-goal scorer was not out of the question.  But that said, it looked like PIT wanted him to become their 3rd line checking Center and he just isn't a good one.

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Hindsight is boring. Move on.

what’s the point of watching a draft if you can’t use hindsight or critique the team for making a boneheaded pick? I guess just watch it to see who they pick and that’s it. It’s like watching a Satoshi Nakamototy rom-com then, no need to pay attention. Be sheep. 🐑 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

what’s the point of watching a draft if you can’t use hindsight or critique the team for making a boneheaded pick? I guess just watch it to see who they pick and that’s it. It’s like watching a Satoshi Nakamototy rom-com then, no need to pay attention. Be sheep. 🐑 

It was a bad pick, there isn’t much debate there and the two primary decisions makers on the pick are both gone. 

Hindsight analysis has some value but I would agree with conundrumed that having  the same argument again and again (when the answer is also pretty obvious) doesn’t make much sense. Best to move on Imo. 

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Nothing wrong with the criticism but what does constant criticism change?  Its not like it was popular among fans at the time, but it was a bad pick in a year where #1 is in Russia, #2 is on his 3rd team in 3 years and an average player, #3 has been moved 6 times in 3 seasons and #4 wasn't even good enough for the KHL.  Not a good pick, but hardly deserves mention for worst in franchise history.  But nothing gained about talking about this, we aren't where we are now because of that pick.

39 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Nothing wrong with the criticism but what does constant criticism change?  Its not like it was popular among fans at the time, but it was a bad pick in a year where #1 is in Russia, #2 is on his 3rd team in 3 years and an average player, #3 has been moved 6 times in 3 seasons and #4 wasn't even good enough for the KHL.  Not a good pick, but hardly deserves mention for worst in franchise history.  But nothing gained about talking about this, we aren't where we are now because of that pick.

my a true…

but we might’ve liked Hertl, Wilson or Teravainen. Even Vasalevsky might be a good add to the roster. 

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We might have had Juolevi.

that’s not the same year… 

but if the Canucks picked Tkachuk would we have automatically picked Juolevi? Just because he was picked just before doesn’t mean that was going to be our next pick… And maybe if we pick Juolevi, he doesn’t get the early injuries to derail his development. But that would assume that if Valamaki was drafted by a different team that he’d have stayed healthy and developed into a good Top4 by now. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

that’s not the same year… 

but if the Canucks picked Tkachuk would we have automatically picked Juolevi? Just because he was picked just before doesn’t mean that was going to be our next pick… And maybe if we pick Juolevi, he doesn’t get the early injuries to derail his development. But that would assume that if Valamaki was drafted by a different team that he’d have stayed healthy and developed into a good Top4 by now. 

My point is the draft is over, the same way the Tkachuk draft is over.

TBH, I was never impressed with Joulevi.

I thought he was a reach, would have prefered Chychrun way over him.

But we were likely going to pick Nylander if we didn't have the equivalent of moving up.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My point is the draft is over, the same way the Tkachuk draft is over.

TBH, I was never impressed with Joulevi.

I thought he was a reach, would have prefered Chychrun way over him.

But we were likely going to pick Nylander if we didn't have the equivalent of moving up.

Having watched Chychrun a lot, and playing vs the Knights a lot, I was completely beside myself that any scout would have Juolevi above Chychrun as an NHL dman for both floor and ceiling.

They were on 2 different planets. They completely used Chychrun's Jr tourney against him. Because, well, scouts are really no smarter than you and I. They're just in the business. He was second only to Stamkos for being great in the community also. Which every team also needs to scout.

Tired of him being ARI's only good young player though. Should be a 20G/40A dman, but it's ARI, he'll be -56 with no one to help.

The only guy they won't trade, poor sod.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Having watched Chychrun a lot, and playing vs the Knights a lot, I was completely beside myself that any scout would have Juolevi above Chychrun as an NHL dman for both floor and ceiling.

They were on 2 different planets. They completely used Chychrun's Jr tourney against him. Because, well, scouts are really no smarter than you and I. They're just in the business. He was second only to Stamkos for being great in the community also. Which every team also needs to scout.

Tired of him being ARI's only good young player though. Should be a 20G/40A dman, but it's ARI, he'll be -56 with no one to help.

The only guy they won't trade, poor sod.

If VAN had drafted Tkachuk, do you think we had a high enough opinion of him?

I was shocked that he dropped, but you are right about scouts basing decisions on dumb things.

I hated the thought of the young Nylander, but we were likely going with a forward.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If VAN had drafted Tkachuk, do you think we had a high enough opinion of him?

I was shocked that he dropped, but you are right about scouts basing decisions on dumb things.

I hated the thought of the young Nylander, but we were likely going with a forward.

If we didn't take him, I may have never forgiven.lol He was a 1D for the Sting, for Team Canada, not sure where his 1D potential went sideways. At #16, I was, "Awesome, the Wings"! Then they traded Datsyuk's contract....

He's yet another shining example of why I don't really take much stock in National team performances. A bunch of kids that have barely played together, in a short tourney. Definitely can't erase how good a player actually is in his own league.

I just grin and bare Tkachuk to this day. Couldn't stand him in jr. Still roll my eyes a lot at his antics.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

If we didn't take him, I may have never forgiven.lol He was a 1D for the Sting, for Team Canada, not sure where his 1D potential went sideways. At #16, I was, "Awesome, the Wings"! Then they traded Datsyuk's contract....

He's yet another shining example of why I don't really take much stock in National team performances. A bunch of kids that have barely played together, in a short tourney. Definitely can't erase how good a player actually is in his own league.

I just grin and bare Tkachuk to this day. Couldn't stand him in jr. Still roll my eyes a lot at his antics.

I think back to FF52's comments about the Tkachuk family.

Prophetic.

We see the "brand" in the way they negotiate.

I have more time for him when he is playing to his strengths.

Not my favorite personality type, though.

I would be upset if we traded him, but not as much if we traded him for a better skating, more skilled player.

I hate the between the legs stuff.

Use it when there is nothing else, not every time you are close to the net.

Lucic knows when to just shovel the garbage in. 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't know where scouts got it wrong with Chychrun because when I watched the under 18s I saw a number one dman. I thought he was fantatic at that tournament and should have eased concerns about his stock, but it seemed to fall. To have guys like Jake Bean and Juolevi go ahead of him didn't make sense at the time and makes less sense today. Seems to me to be a case of over analysis on his game, which I find can happen when guys are pegged at number 1 for such a long length of time. Miss by a lot of scouts though IMO. 

Take this for what it's worth, but post draft Burke has stated a few times that they had Juolevi and Tkachuk tied. Perhaps someone else was ahead of them but given their love for Tkachuk that would appear doubtful. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, The_People1 said:

I'm guessing we would've drafted Joulevi if Tkachuk didn't fall to us.  Conroy mentioned Joulevi by name a few days leading up to the draft so he was sorta prepping the fanbase for him.  I believe Clayton Keller was on the radar as well.  Pretty sure we weren't thinking Chychrun or Nylander.

I completely agree that we still would have screwed it up.

That doesn't necessarily make it okay though, I might suggest it makes it a little worse.

If you go by Craig's list to guess where we drafted, for what it's worth....   Matt Finn.    I don't know the story behind that but there's definitely a Matt Finn story.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I completely agree that we still would have screwed it up.

That doesn't necessarily make it okay though, I might suggest it makes it a little worse.

If you go by Craig's list to guess where we drafted, for what it's worth....   Matt Finn.    I don't know the story behind that but there's definitely a Matt Finn story.

Matt Finn instead of Jankowski? 

Ya we got lucky with Tkachuk.  I think Clayton Keller is coming around but that's a big talent drop off from Tkachuk to Keller.  And Joulevi is was never sold on.  He was a low energy one speed guy and the ceiling was low on those type of Dmen.  Like Mackey for example except we signed Mackey without giving up assets so no complaints.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Matt Finn instead of Jankowski? 

Ya we got lucky with Tkachuk.  I think Clayton Keller is coming around but that's a big talent drop off from Tkachuk to Keller.  And Joulevi is was never sold on.  He was a low energy one speed guy and the ceiling was low on those type of Dmen.  Like Mackey for example except we signed Mackey without giving up assets so no complaints.  

I can't find his final rankings on the internet anymore (as sure sign that he was very proud of them),

But here's his mid-season rannking:  https://www.nhl.com/news/craig-buttons-top-2012-draft-prospects/c-5961

And if memory serves me correctly he had Matt Finn ranked high in his final ranking too.

Our issues go deeper than just one guy being ranked out of place.   Our whole list imho has issues.

I actually really liked a lot of things about Jankowski other than how he was drafted.

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I can't find his final rankings on the internet anymore (as sure sign that he was very proud of them),

But here's his mid-season rannking:  https://www.nhl.com/news/craig-buttons-top-2012-draft-prospects/c-5961

And if memory serves me correctly he had Matt Finn ranked high in his final ranking too.

Our issues go deeper than just one guy being ranked out of place.   Our whole list imho has issues.

I actually really liked a lot of things about Jankowski other than how he was drafted.

Ya we reached for a #1 Center badly.  Which was hilariously sad considering Feaster justified the pick by saying we desperately need a #1 Center right now.  And at the same breathe, said Jankowski will be a long term project.