General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I did like Jeff Marek but at the same time he's just an analyst. Not going to miss those guys either way. 

But will add that firing him for a practice that many others do (ahem Bob Mckenzie) doesn't smell right. 

I didn't consider the bolded. That's great perspective. Sacrificial lamb?

Seems like gambling rules own the league. Which is a sad Blockchaining state of affairs.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I didn't consider the bolded. That's great perspective. Sacrificial lamb?

Seems like gambling rules own the league. Which is a sad Blockchaining state of affairs.

to be a bit fair to the process, from what I gathered the line Marek crossed is he got the tips from the broadcast. so he was using his position with the broadcaster holder of the NHL to tip the picks which I can appreciate why the league wouldn't want that. 

Just not sure the line is that blurry from getting it from the broadcast or getting it through other sources, like agents for example. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Anyone wondering why Jeff Marek lost his job; just read an article that he shared insider info regarding the order of the draft. The NHL were concerned whether he was using info for betting or general info. But the way it was shared, either way may not be aligned with how the NHL wants the info shared. 

It is too bad, didn't mind him, but at the same time, it must be hard to toe the line of what and how to share. 

Order of the draft? ...you mean the leaked photo of Utah picking 2nd overall and then they had to cancel that plan?

When it comes to who is going to draft who, I mean, nobody knows for sure except the teams themselves.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Order of the draft? ...you mean the leaked photo of Utah picking 2nd overall and then they had to cancel that plan?

When it comes to who is going to draft who, I mean, nobody knows for sure except the teams themselves.

No it was the actual first round of the draft.  The broadcasts learn before the pick is announced, hence why they can get the graphics and highlights ready so quick after it is announced.  The pick is handed into the league before it is announced on stage, so that is what Marek is punished for taking that information and giving it to a friend who tweeted it before it was announced on stage

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's not totally true, especially at the top of the draft. Maybe not 100% confidence but I think by the time it rolls around teams, some agents, insiders etc all pretty much know how the draft is going to start. Yes eventually it gets interesting but I don't think the top of a draft is as much a secret as it gets sold to be. 

Sennecke to Anaheim was sold as a shock but I know some were hinting at that all week prior to the draft. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Sennecke to Anaheim was sold as a shock but I know some were hinting at that all week prior to the draft. 

Everyone and their dog kept claiming they'd take a dman. Even I knew Verbeek was going power fwd weeks, if not months, before.

He kinda Blockchained me not taking Lindholm though. I think I batted .400 in the top 10 due to that. Bastard. lol

I'm a big Verbeek supporter for the record. Truly, he's a great guy. He'll put the Ducks right.

Yakemchuk to Ottawa had to be the world's worst kept secret. Ottawa's just in their own little orbit up there.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

ohhh maybe? I dunno as it just said that he leaked