Preseason Game #4: Vancouver @ Calgary

conundrumed

I only caught the highlights.  

Duehr looks to be making a serious case.

Kylington getting good looks.  Sutter refuses to acknowledge it in post-game presser.  Gives credit to the group for their great work instead.

Love the Zadorov hit leading directly to a Flames goal.  That's what I'm talking about.  We have been missing this so badly.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk took advantage of a weaker Canucks team.  I don't mind toploading if Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube/Coleman can form a good enough second line.  Or Coleman-Backlund-Duehr looks like it could have potential for stud shut-down and forechecking.  Duehr so big and fast playing with two smart vets.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I only caught the highlights.  

Duehr looks to be making a serious case.

Kylington getting good looks.  Sutter refuses to acknowledge it in post-game presser.  Gives credit to the group for their great work instead.

Love the Zadorov hit leading directly to a Flames goal.  That's what I'm talking about.  We have been missing this so badly.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk took advantage of a weaker Canucks team.  I don't mind toploading if Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube/Coleman can form a good enough second line.  Or Coleman-Backlund-Duehr looks like it could have potential for stud shut-down and forechecking.  Duehr so big and fast playing with two smart vets.

Agree on call counts. I liked the top line last night, but not too many squads are going to let them play keep away like that. But Gaudreau looked really good with those two. 

Weaker Van team lots of room to move. Our D looked better moved the puck better, Big z with a nice hit. Liked Mackeys game as well the hit the goal, was great  the other intangible we grealty miss is what Grubranson did with Mc Ewen. That exact reaction is what has been missing in our line up for so so so long, simple protection. You ahve no idea how much confidance that gives anyone to play a little bit harder knowing someone has your back. It would be nice if Grubrnason could step up his game and be a fixture on the roster. Another shinnig spot is Duehr I like this kid, Fast, smart gets to the areas required defensivly sound. I can see Tre sending him down just ot give the old farts a spot. I think he would be good with Backs and Dube on a line. Time will tell

While Gudbranson stepping up is nice, his instigator put the Flames short for an extended period due to his misconduct. Thankfully it didn’t hurt the team on the scoreboard, but regular season against full NHL teams is completely different.

If the only thing Gudbranson brings is that toughness, the fighting, that is not worth the spot. If he is a detriment on ice and getting regularly beat, then I would choose someone else.

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

While Gudbranson stepping up is nice, his instigator put the Flames short for an extended period due to his misconduct. Thankfully it didn’t hurt the team on the scoreboard, but regular season against full NHL teams is completely different.

If the only thing Gudbranson brings is that toughness, the fighting, that is not worth the spot. If he is a detriment on ice and getting regularly beat, then I would choose someone else.

I don't care. If you want to be the team nobody messes with then you have to pay that price occasionally. 

14 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't care. If you want to be the team nobody messes with then you have to pay that price occasionally. 

This exactly. What needs to be set as a presidnet is that NO ONE can tough the top players, Once you establish this culture and Idenity our top guys will be able to dance. With guys like Lucic, Gubranson, Ritchie and Zadorov there is no excuse on this club for liberites to be taken on our players. If it isn't done in that specific game it shall be dealt with next match up, its a overwhelming freedom, taken from previous experiances 

It is one thing to have a 4th line winger like a Ritchie to need to sit out a 10 minute misconduct when he likely plays less than 20 minutes a game anyways. My issue specifically with Gudbranson doing that, is you are now down to 5 D instead of 6 which causes further exhaustion as they cover, plus you lose a forward for 2 minutes for the instigator. 

If Gudbranson gets beaten multiple plays leading to goals in a game on top of that doesn’t appeal to me at all. I would prefer Mackey who plays better defensively who won’t take those extra penalties any day.

You can have a tough team that nobody messes with physically but that doesn’t mean you will win games if those tough guys can’t handle the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

This exactly. What needs to be set as a presidnet is that NO ONE can tough the top players, Once you establish this culture and Idenity our top guys will be able to dance. With guys like Lucic, Gubranson, Ritchie and Zadorov there is no excuse on this club for liberites to be taken on our players. If it isn't done in that specific game it shall be dealt with next match up, its a overwhelming freedom, taken from previous experiances 

I just hope that it ends up that way. We saw it to start the first half of Hamonic's first year, where they went 2nd overall. They played for each other for the games (approximately, guesstimated) 5-35. Something changed going into the winter break or the mandated break. But you could see when guys had each other's backs they played...

The one thing I worry about is, Lucic, he doesn't stand up for guys right away, and sometimes not at all. What's the point of him? He has the ability to though. For me. It's respond right away. Nail them the very next shift! No waiting for the next game! Hurt em, and then score on them. 

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just hope that it ends up that way. We saw it to start the first half of Hamonic's first year, where they went 2nd overall. They played for each other for the games (approximately, guesstimated) 5-35. Something changed going into the winter break or the mandated break. But you could see when guys had each other's backs they played...

The one thing I worry about is, Lucic, he doesn't stand up for guys right away, and sometimes not at all. What's the point of him? He has the ability to though. For me. It's respond right away. Nail them the very next shift! No waiting for the next game! Hurt em, and then score on them. 

Lucic is first a power forward and second an enforcer.

Thrives on disruption.

If he can get back to the way he played a few years ago, then he would not need to fight every game.

He scored at a 15 goal clip this past season.

I doubt he will maintain that away from Mangiapane and Backlund.

I think he would be best suited with a skilled C and decent winger like Pitlick.

We may not have that C, though I think Gawdin may be the best bet right now.

Two skilled forecheckers.

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

You already have the likes of Zadorov, Ritchie and Looch who arguably are not as much of a detriment while on the ice. Gudbranson just takes up a spot on D that could be filled with someone with more skill.

Like what was said earlier, that could have easily turned into a couple goals against a full Nucks roster.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

You already have the likes of Zadorov, Ritchie and Looch who arguably are not as much of a detriment while on the ice. Gudbranson just takes up a spot on D that could be filled with someone with more skill.

Like what was said earlier, that could have easily turned into a couple goals against a full Nucks roster.

I do not get how you can rationalize that a player who cannot defend makes your team tougher to play against. 

I think having Gudbranson out there makes the flames easier to play against. 

6 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I think ya all missed my statement " if Grubranson could find his game". I agree he should be gifted a spot because he was tough, It would be awesome if he played a good shut down role as well as added some intimidation. What gets hilarious is eveyone thinks this would be a nightly thing.... This precident only has to happen once or twice before players in the league take notice, and it stops. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:19 PM, kehatch said:

Agreed. 

We have some small skilled players on this team and if we have to take an instigator penalty from time to time to send the league a message then we have to do what we have to do.  Between Gudbranson, Ritchie, Lucic, and Zadarov, we should have enough muscles to take care of everyone on the team.  Maybe even Tkachuk can get back to his pesky ways without Giordano telling him the team only has his back from time to time.