the tkachuk family

Horsman1

Well came out today that Matthew and Daddy Tkachuk are both involved in Brady's negotiation with the Sens.. That boy Matt just doesn;t have a filter does he.. Daddy doesn't like Coach Sutter.. and with his son running off all the time.. I can;t see him ever being Captain in Calgary...can St. Louis afford both Tkachuk brothers?? and if they could.. would they want to??

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

Well came out today that Matthew and Daddy Tkachuk are both involved in Brady's negotiation with the Sens.. That boy Matt just doesn;t have a filter does he.. Daddy doesn't like Coach Sutter.. and with his son running off all the time.. I can;t see him ever being Captain in Calgary...can St. Louis afford both Tkachuk brothers?? and if they could.. would they want to??

The Flames should trade Matthew, today.    The mouth on him, they should have traded him a long time ago if this is how he was in the dressing room.

Treliving, what have you been doing, lol?

I don't care if he's right or wrong about Sutter, the attitude on that kid is insane.    All this drafting of local north americans just to get entitlement like this.

Unbelievable entitlement for a kid in the least valuable position in hockey (LHS).

He should be gone and I can't believe he's still here.  Every day he stays on this team from here on out is a mistake.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The Flames should trade Matthew, today.    The mouth on him, they should have traded him a long time ago if this is how he was in the dressing room.

Treliving, what have you been doing, lol?

I don't care if he's right or wrong about Sutter, the attitude on that kid is insane.    All this drafting of local north americans just to get entitlement like this.

Unbelievable entitlement for a kid in the least valuable position in hockey (LHS).

He should be gone and I can't believe he's still here.  Every day he stays on this team from here on out is a mistake.

did I miss something?

55 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

ok, he says, “Enough is a enough, guys have To dig in right from the start.” 

just like how he dug in? Or maybe he dug in and nobody else went along so he decided not to play anymore last year?

Tarasenko ($2.5 retained) and Thomas for Tkachuk.

I'm all in..

Thomas is a way better all-around player than Tkachuk. Hard RHC. Do it. We have LW.

Thomas alone is better. 

Tarasenko must feel outright insulted. I'd like a star RW with a giant chip on his shoulder.

One less one dimensional mouthpiece LW.

For a high end RW and a budding, solid RHC.

That's better than Eichel imho.

If Army has to include Thomas to move Tara, I'll be pissed if it's for less than Tkalughead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Tarasenko ($2.5 retained) and Thomas for Tkachuk.

I'm all in..

Thomas is a way better all-around player than Tkachuk. Hard RHC. Do it. We have LW.

Thomas alone is better. 

Tarasenko must feel outright insulted. I'd like a star RW with a giant chip on his shoulder.

One less one dimensional mouthpiece LW.

For a high end RW and a budding, solid RHC.

That's better than Eichel imho.

If Army has to include Thomas to move Tara, I'll be pissed if it's for less than Tkalughead.

What does a Thomas new contract look like though?

Ironically, should we trade for Brady?  Maybe OTT is thinking these guys are impossible to negotiate with and doesn't want the trouble moving forward.  Depends on the price of course.  Brady could move back to Center where he has some experience.  We could run a line with the Tkachuk brothers.  Boy, that would be fun. 

OTT says they are officially done rebuilding so they will want players ready to win today.  Monahan, Gaudreau (if he doesn't sign an extension), or maybe something around Mangiapane.  

I think I have made my view clear with all the Eichel talk. M. Tkachuk is up for contract renewal and based off these comments, he will be looking for a raise. A combination of the brothers in the 8-10 mil range without a higher salary cap would handicap the Flames signing other players. For me, less than a tenth of the team should not make almost a quarter of the Salary cap. If Ottawa or St.Louis want to pull a Toronto or Edmonton, go ahead but I don’t want that in Calgary.

• Like 2

Lol yes but he also said this is part of how the negotiation game is played…it’s called posturing, which given the flat cap, it’s important to do…IMO, he’s just trying to keep the expectations high enough that the QO isn’t and bad as it could be…reality is, 9mil in a flat cap is tough to take on for any team..again, he’s trying to get and or keep max value…will he get it? Hard to say with a flat cap…the other question is will he get it in Cgy or elsewhere? Also hard to say…this COVID flat cap is a whole Economic era, teams are tightening their belts and players on down want less…so it’s kinda a wait and see thing, I think your gonna see guys like Tachuck and Gaudreau wait to sign extensions, it makes sense to see if things improve as the season moves on, they may opt for different contracts depending on how everything unfolds…maybe they go with a more back loaded contract because of the flat cap or maybe they go short term who knows? But I do get where the players are thinking, why sign now…especially long term if in 1-3 years things are better…signing long term now they are leaving a lot of money on the table…anyway, I’m kinda of the thinking that’s where a lot of this is coming from.

as for guys needing to dig deep that is the kinda thing a captain or any leader should be saying…I’m ok with that.

and I’m not sure why this is such a big surprise, the whole reason Matty got 7mil last go around was cause his daddy’s involvement…if I recall the same thing was said back then, it being a family business.

I’m a huge fan of Tachuck, but if we could flip him for a better return and not hav daddy’s BS involved I’d be very ok with that…but again, has to be the right return like a 1st rounder and a top tier prospect…

I think ther Thomas+ Tero Stl deal would be reasonable, though I’m not confident Tero is gonna be 100% ever again, he may still be a decent add…the real gem to the deal would be Thomas 

• Like 1

All I can say is the greed of these Players and owner ship is making it very hard for ppl to afford the to visit the games and the way the economy is going they just might push the whole NHL out because PPL will need to look at cheaper avenues to put there money to entertain the Family .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I think I have made my view clear with all the Eichel talk. M. Tkachuk is up for contract renewal and based off these comments, he will be looking for a raise. A combination of the brothers in the 8-10 mil range without a higher salary cap would handicap the Flames signing other players. For me, less than a tenth of the team should not make almost a quarter of the Salary cap. If Ottawa or St.Louis want to pull a Toronto or Edmonton, go ahead but I don’t want that in Calgary.

It's about balance though.  The Flames are spending too much on LW.

TOR spent their money on two C and two RW when they really need to spend it on at least one stud.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd say no. Our C isn't a point of strength. We need another imo. Then we have lineup options. Dealing one away for futures keeps our C depth pretty shaky.

I thought Thomas was a C?

Monahan has been crappy and if he’s not scoring, does nothing. Will he score again? Maybe. Was he injured the year before too? 

Lindholm 

Thomas

Backlund

I guess you’re moving Lindholm  to RW after your suggestion. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Lol yes but he also said this is part of how the negotiation game is played…it’s called posturing, which given the flat cap, it’s important to do…IMO, he’s just trying to keep the expectations high enough that the QO isn’t and bad as it could be…reality is, 9mil in a flat cap is tough to take on for any team..again, he’s trying to get and or keep max value…will he get it? Hard to say with a flat cap…the other question is will he get it in Cgy or elsewhere? Also hard to say…this COVID flat cap is a whole Economic era, teams are tightening their belts and players on down want less…so it’s kinda a wait and see thing, I think your gonna see guys like Tachuck and Gaudreau wait to sign extensions, it makes sense to see if things improve as the season moves on, they may opt for different contracts depending on how everything unfolds…maybe they go with a more back loaded contract because of the flat cap or maybe they go short term who knows? But I do get where the players are thinking, why sign now…especially long term if in 1-3 years things are better…signing long term now they are leaving a lot of money on the table…anyway, I’m kinda of the thinking that’s where a lot of this is coming from.

as for guys needing to dig deep that is the kinda thing a captain or any leader should be saying…I’m ok with that.

and I’m not sure why this is such a big surprise, the whole reason Matty got 7mil last go around was cause his daddy’s involvement…if I recall the same thing was said back then, it being a family business.

I’m a huge fan of Tachuck, but if we could flip him for a better return and not hav daddy’s BS involved I’d be very ok with that…but again, has to be the right return like a 1st rounder and a top tier prospect…

I think ther Thomas+ Tero Stl deal would be reasonable, though I’m not confident Tero is gonna be 100% ever again, he may still be a decent add…the real gem to the deal would be Thomas 

but does that mean that Ottawa Tkachuk is worth 9+ or 10+? I don’t even know if he’s worth 8 yet and maybe he is that. How much would the cap have risen if it didn’t flatten out? I don’t know if I like the players anymore lol. It’s all money and not really about hockey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

It's about balance though.  The Flames are spending too much on LW.

TOR spent their money on two C and two RW when they really need to spend it on at least one stud.

I dunno. I think it rarely works to spend that high on players. In my view, the only times it has worked was Crosby and maybe Ovechkin. I guess you can now toss Tampa in there. But 10+ contacts seem to hurt a team more than it helps. And to have a few, it really straps the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

but does that mean that Ottawa Tkachuk is worth 9+ or 10+? I don’t even know if he’s worth 8 yet and maybe he is that. How much would the cap have risen if it didn’t flatten out? I don’t know if I like the players anymore lol. It’s all money and not really about hockey.

I have to agree…millions to play a game…it’s insane, doctors who save lives don’t get paid this much…😞

I get the whole balance thing and that is mostly my point. How can you have balance is you have 2 players eating a quarter of your salary cap? I agree that the Flames are LW heavy and could afford to move out one of Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Mangiapane without really missing a beat if it brings back a top C or RW. Brady is a LHS like Matthew and is listed as C/LW. Having both Tkachuk brothers does not create balance. 

If holding out in order to get more pay is a negotiating tactic, that doesn’t sound like a team leader move for me. Working only for personal benefit to possibly hurt the team does not a captain make.

23 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I get the whole balance thing and that is mostly my point. How can you have balance is you have 2 players eating a quarter of your salary cap? I agree that the Flames are LW heavy and could afford to move out one of Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Mangiapane without really missing a beat if it brings back a top C or RW. Brady is a LHS like Matthew and is listed as C/LW. Having both Tkachuk brothers does not create balance. 

If holding out in order to get more pay is a negotiating tactic, that doesn’t sound like a team leader move for me. Working only for personal benefit to possibly hurt the team does not a captain make.

Again depends.

A Stud #1 C making $10-mil and a Norris Dman making $10-mil.  I believe with that, it's possible to round out the team into a contender.  But yes, it puts pressure on drafting and development.  You almost can't afford to fix roster problems via UFA at that point.